Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You guys I’m lmao u guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I feel blessed by the internet gods that I only recognize one person on that.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Well of course Garrison is neutral evil, he keeps on performing coups. Chaotic neutral is pretty fitting for Robert though since he has powerful CN energy.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

You guys I’m lmao u guys

a tale of two talias

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

One interesting detail about The Third Wave: as Garrison mentioned, they made a TV show. What he didn't mention is that there they made The Wave a pseudo Antifa group that "goes too far" :cripes:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

They should make a Dead Poets Society spoof about this teacher who accidentally fash-ed a whole town’s youths

Starring Paul Rudd as the teacher. He’s got the perfect teacher-who-kids-like vibe who would also be dumb enough to keep going after that first day and blithely think he was doing great work instead of loving up a bunch of teenagers

edit: I looked at the list of media adaptations and I’m not sure what’s weirder: the episode of Arthur taking inspiration from this experiment or the Sweet Valley Twins book where a substitute teacher does something like this.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 21, 2021

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I’m going through some older eps.

In the Tiger King episode, what happened to the quebecquoi lady in Guatemala? That felt like story thread that was left dangling. :ohdear:

EDIT: NM the end of the episode answers the question :v:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 21, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

In terms of dangling story threads, I'm like Robert in the Third Wave episode: how the gently caress did that teacher get Chairman Mao on the phone?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Robert I think we need a picture of the fedora

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Robert, I listen to you AND Chapo AND Cum Town so there!!!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AceOfFlames posted:

In terms of dangling story threads, I'm like Robert in the Third Wave episode: how the gently caress did that teacher get Chairman Mao on the phone?

they probably did the same thing they did on the local radio show did years ago. have some white dude call in and do a "fun voice" but instead of kim jong ill, its Mao.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Robert if you wanna zag on Jamie, StrixNebulosa has been posting 1970s era Cathy comics with occasional context that you could text back.

Here's where they start in the 2020 comic strip megathread and here's the 2021.

(if you clear the user filter you can also read other newspaper comic strips, if that's a thing you want to do to yourself for some reason)

Ack!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
My favorite exchange of today's episode:

"Robert, what forums did you post on?!"

"Oh no, I'm not going to dox them."

"Robert~"

"Okay, I posted on Something Awful."

Everett False posted:

Robert if you wanna zag on Jamie, StrixNebulosa has been posting 1970s era Cathy comics with occasional context that you could text back.

Here's where they start in the 2020 comic strip megathread and here's the 2021.

(if you clear the user filter you can also read other newspaper comic strips, if that's a thing you want to do to yourself for some reason)

Ack!

Woof, that March 3rd, 1977 strip

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Is there one or two defined reasons why hats kind of went out of style, because any old media everyone has a hat and now it seems you really need the right head type to pull it off.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

bobjr posted:

Is there one or two defined reasons why hats kind of went out of style, because any old media everyone has a hat and now it seems you really need the right head type to pull it off.

Because the rich people who owned hat companies in the 20’s-30’s-40’s and kept pushing millions into hat advertising in TV and movies died and their kids took their hat fortunes and invested them in other companies like cigarettes and alcohol. I know this FOR A FACT because I was given a scholarship by the Louis Augus Jonas foundation, the premier manufacturer of felt hats in New York in the 20’s, and I had to learn all about them,

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I still cannot believe that there was a time in history where hats were such a big deal that it led to stuff like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_Hat_Riot

Also, I just got back from the supermarket and there was a white guy in his mid 20s shopping while wearing a freaking top hat. That was weird.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 24, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

I still cannot believe that there was a time in history where hats were such a big deal that it led to stuff like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_Hat_Riot

Also, I just got back from the supermarket and there was a white guy in his mid 20s shopping while wearing a freaking top hat. That was weird.

i think covid has made people give less of a gently caress about fashion. my friend is dressing full sixties bright suits and poo poo now but he has the body/face for it so idk.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

my daily wear has become pajamas and a leather cowboy hat because who the gently caress is going to judge me in 2021

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

GunFondler42069 posted:

my daily wear has become pajamas and a leather cowboy hat because who the gently caress is going to judge me in 2021

Christ you really are from Texas :D

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
“Come and take em,” I muttered, dual wielding revolvers and wearing faded and bleach-stained fleece Cookie Monster pants, “Or do you fear the pajama intifada?”

“Maybe we aren’t so different, you and I...” Their machete reflected the glow of my RGB LED Corsair keyboard. They stepped forward, hands up, opening their bathrobe. Revealing the matching two piece nightwear underneath, I looked closer at the screenprint on the shirt. It was Donald Duck.

“Going quackers, indeed,” I replied.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
As a habitual gym class skipper, I know nothing about guns and a lot about people in pajamas.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GunFondler42069 posted:

The degree to which you are unraveling Cody Johnston style in each progressive episode of WYE is extremely entertaining and I hope you're family is warm and safe.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GunFondler42069 posted:

nice. i just can't wait for spring so i can get outside again. just going around the neighborhood or getting into parks with my gf and friends. plus wearing lovely graphic t-shirts.

maybe you can wear some of those long johns with the rear end window so you can use that as psychological warfare against the sigma males.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GunFondler42069 posted:

https://twitter.com/why_sophie_why/status/1225303048878096390?s=19

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'm a little behind and just now starting the Manosphere episode but holy crap Robert talking about all the near misses he had about being brought in to that poo poo hits home.

Terminally online me was about the same age as him and if it wasn't for all the MUDS and MUSHes i stumbled in to gently caress if i know what'd have happened.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

I'm a little behind and just now starting the Manosphere episode but holy crap Robert talking about all the near misses he had about being brought in to that poo poo hits home.

Terminally online me was about the same age as him and if it wasn't for all the MUDS and MUSHes i stumbled in to gently caress if i know what'd have happened.

yeah. i hung out on too many gross chans during teens and early 20s. i could see myself going hard chud if the right people said the right things.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Vox Day has been a favorite dunk target for Sci-Fi Twitter for at least the last ten years or so, particularly given his bizarre one-sided feud with John Scalzi. His RationalWiki article is a delight.

I really do want to know more about this wife he theoretically has. My assumption has been that she's a crude effigy made from butter and a discarded mop.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

citybeatnik posted:

same. I can easily see an alternate path where I got into incel poo poo. Fortunately I got to college first and gained enough social skills to just be a normal loser instead of that type of loser.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This sounds very dumb to post outloud but I was lucky enough to very healthy pro-women//pro-LGBT safe space leaping community so instead of drifting towards edge lord warhammer and D&D incels I spent my nerd time hanging out with mostly women playing dress up and everyone was whispering about how Bi they were all the time, and because I wasn’t online I didn’t realize that other gaming spaces were so dominated by these negative gatekeeping douchebags for a really long time, I honestly thought every nerd had access to the same kind of LARP community until I was like 23

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hey now D&D isn't all incels, that's where I got a lot of the kind of good mentoring exposure robert was talking about. First trans person I ever met, before I knew that was even a thing that existed, was in my online D&D groups

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Honestly SA probably contributed to me not falling down that hole, especially considering I stayed out of the Chans. I definitely remember being introduced to that friend-zone/ladder theory stuff that I inherently bought into as a dumb 14 year old but there was a thread on SA that laid out very clearly why that sort of thing is dumb. It’s like the 4 months where I was interested in hearing more about what Ron Paul had to say before being informed of everything Ron Paul had to say

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

The Sigma male thing is very interesting to me as a terminally online lady because... well, a lot of reasons. A major flaw in the false Alpha v Beta, Chad v Incel type binary is that it's always been a thinly veiled reskin of Jocks v Nerds bullshit. And it's 2021, where nerds provably get laid. Variations on the Alpha and Chad concepts have tried to explain why dorks who aren't incels continue to have sex, but it's still obvious to anyone with eyes that plenty of women are attracted to men who don't fit the concept of an Alpha Male. So there's plenty of young men who want sexually available women, but aren't interested in becoming an Alpha Male when they can plainly see that it's not actually necessary to do that. Along comes the Sigma male concept to say: actually, those nerds you see getting laid are a third type of man, who is also you. It's carefully designed to appeal to the kind of guy who fantasizes about getting an opportunity to beat someone up and seeing everyone be surprised that the quiet nerd is a secret badass. I could be your angle... or yuor devil 😈

The interesting part is where they seem to specify "wanting an independent woman". Because that's usually lovely-dude code for "I want a woman who demands nothing". And it ties into being Not Like Other Girls, because when you're Not Like Other Girls that means you don't want dumb girly stuff like nice dates and romantic gestures and a man who puts forth any effort into his appearance whatsoever. The Sigma male is like the other side of that coin, where you're Not Like Alphas, who pursue women and try to make themselves attractive, but you're also Not Like Betas, who buy girls flowers and try to do nice things for them.

The actual message of the Sigma Male concept seems to be: embrace being shy and not wanting to put forth effort, and shut the gently caress up. The actual effect of this is that you say most women are too needy and you want an independent woman, and a woman who has wrapped her identity in being one of the good ones thinks that's actually great! And by shutting the gently caress up, you allow other people to project onto you without your actual personality getting in the way until it's too late and the sunk cost fallacy has kicked in.

Which could totally have worked! There's a lot of guys I probably would have had bad sex with if they hadn't opened their mouths and ruined it by saying dumb poo poo. Plenty of redditors seem to have utilized these techniques completely by accident, judging by r/relationships. I assume the grift is mostly in putting ads on videos men can watch that tell them they're actually fine the way they are and also secret samurai, as well as selling them books that tell them they're great.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
That sigma male poo poo sounds a lot like being a 40 year old with depression, but with incongruous positive self talk. Am I a lone wolf with the intensity of a masterless samurai? gently caress no, I’m a piece of poo poo that has absolutely no capacity for follow through. At least I admit it. At least I can forgive myself for it and not take myself loathing out on others.

You just need to shake these little chuds and scream “You’re the source of your own misery! You are the only constant factor in your hosed up life!” at them until they recognize and admit it. Then hug the gently caress out of them and let them know that if they can learn to love themselves them can learn to let other people love them, too.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Also, I read Neil Strauss’ “The Game”. Everybody seems to forget in the second half of the book how he describes the pathetic decline of his PUA guru housemates (renting out closets as sleep spaces and generally destroying their mansion) and how going whole hog on PUA hosed up his life and sense of self identity by being nothing but a performance and that when he found a woman that he wanted to stay with, he wasn’t emotionally equipped to maintain a relationship. It was an excellent cautionary read and I got to the end of the book wanting nothing to do with pickup artist bullshit.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Sigma Male poo poo is funny because they’ve essentially created a paroxysm of modern gender dynamics but instead of a transgender person moving from one gender to another they just identify as a different kind of guy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
It's astounding in how these nutters, in their constant quest to be an uncategorized individual, have made a category to put them all in one place.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Bust Rodd posted:

The Sigma Male poo poo is funny because they’ve essentially created a paroxysm of modern gender dynamics but instead of a transgender person moving from one gender to another they just identify as a different kind of guy.

Uh I don't think guys who buy into this Sigma Male stuff unironically are trans.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they probably did the same thing they did on the local radio show did years ago. have some white dude call in and do a "fun voice" but instead of kim jong ill, its Mao.

There was that time a radio station got Fidel Castro on the phone for a prank call, and Steve Wozniak claims got the Pope on the phone by calling the Vatican switchboard and asking for him. It was probably easier 50 years ago.

I don’t normally binge these episodes but Jesus Christ how did I, a hyper nerd who was depressed and socially isolated basically since elementary school and grew up in IRC rooms full of racist gamers and on Something Awful during the dark days of the early 2000s, end up a leftist computer toucher instead of falling into jordy pete bullshit or incel radicalization like so many other super genius types?

I was repelled by the *chans because I still never had any tolerance for the racism or antisemitism or creepy poo poo, at least.

(Though the trans hate on here for years was my only exposure to the entire concept which probably caused even more problems for me but)

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Marsupial Ape posted:

Also, I read Neil Strauss’ “The Game”. Everybody seems to forget in the second half of the book how he describes the pathetic decline of his PUA guru housemates (renting out closets as sleep spaces and generally destroying their mansion) and how going whole hog on PUA hosed up his life and sense of self identity by being nothing but a performance and that when he found a woman that he wanted to stay with, he wasn’t emotionally equipped to maintain a relationship. It was an excellent cautionary read and I got to the end of the book wanting nothing to do with pickup artist bullshit.

Misunderstanding media by only taking the parts that resonate with you and discarding the actual moral lesson is basically the default at this point though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
TRUE FACTS: I have distinct memories of being 15 and thinking I wasn't cool enough for SomethingAwful because only cool adults posted there