Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Deltasquid posted:

Is there actually a cap to how many boats you can field at once like in EUIV?

Now that you mention it, I:R has fewer soft caps than other Paradox games. There's only diplomatic relations cap and I think that's it?

Meanwhile huge Rome attacked an alliance of Egypt, Thrace and my Epirus almost immideately after I took a screenshot earlier in this thread. They march huge legions and I think I can only raid their unprotected border cities and run away hoping my capital holds till Egypt and Thrace send help. Roman border cities are in Greece so they don't care about my raids. That kind of warfare and being caught between huge empires in mid-game is a fresh feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

RabidWeasel posted:

Is there a game with both naval and land combat where the naval combat is interesting?

Stellaris, but there its flipped. Space combat is interesting and ground combat is an afterthought.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

...In the end, Romans didn't care at all about my Epirus. They've captured most of my lands, sacked the capital and temple of Zeus that I've built there. Then they've signed peace with war leader Egypt taking a province from them. I didn't get a notification about that, the war has just stopped. I've scrolled through a hundred messages about high priests invoking various gods in the log and found said message. I've tried to change its options so that I get a message about peace treties in wars involving me. But the button for those options doesn't work. I also have a message about the possibility of adopting a theocratic monarchy. But I can't see what does it do exactly. Tooltip is located in such a way that even if I lock it I can't move the mouse to it without triggering some other tooltip so I can't hover over the theocratic monarchy to see the description. After I'm hesitant to click on links inside of those tooltips cause it feels like half of the time they click right through the UI on the map.

I like the game but I think I'll wait for some polish for the UI.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AnEdgelord posted:

Stellaris, but there its flipped. Space combat is interesting and ground combat is an afterthought.

Same for Star Wars empire at war

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Definitely enjoying the game more now than when I played at 1.5. I do like the innovations system, but it feels like the major historical (ish) innovations should have a little more pointing at them or something like that. It's about 50 BCE and I was waiting for the roman empire stuff, when I randomly found innovations to take to make it happen.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So like, should I be fine just keeping these cities that aren't in an "optimal" position? Even if the province is saturated with them already? Campania is such a headache

White Coke
May 29, 2015

toasterwarrior posted:

So like, should I be fine just keeping these cities that aren't in an "optimal" position? Even if the province is saturated with them already? Campania is such a headache

Nothing wrong with demolishing unnecessary cities. Do you have room in the other cities for the inhabitants of Campania?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

White Coke posted:

Nothing wrong with demolishing unnecessary cities. Do you have room in the other cities for the inhabitants of Campania?

Plenty, yeah. It's 5 cities base, 2 on farmlands, 2 on plains, 1 on hills. That's like, 3 more than I would want pre-patch so who knows which ones should go. WIll migration be quick in case of inter-provincial movement?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Did you know that there's culture specific inventions? Did you know that there's actually quite a lot of culture specific inventions and some of them are really loving good? They seem to be mostly Greek and Roman but there's some other surprise ones in there. You can also adopt culture specific inventions by integrating a culture of that group.

The UI absolutely needs to do a better job of communicating this to the player.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The tech UI is such a trashfire. I didn't realize most of the tech areas had several trees until I accidentally scrolled out once, and apparently the only way to move around is by scrolling out and then in again on the thing you want to see??

Somebody in this thread also said there's a tech to increase the threshold for civil wars in the oratory tree yet I cannot find it. Impossible to figure things out at a glance.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

RabidWeasel posted:

Did you know that there's culture specific inventions? Did you know that there's actually quite a lot of culture specific inventions and some of them are really loving good? They seem to be mostly Greek and Roman but there's some other surprise ones in there. You can also adopt culture specific inventions by integrating a culture of that group.

The UI absolutely needs to do a better job of communicating this to the player.

Many of the tech descriptions mention your culture. Also some inventions are government-specific, i.e. republics have special ones for influencing parties. Before 2.0 special inventions got a background but now you got... Laurel border?.. Sun beams border? Or are those just for important techs like the ones that open new buildings? Cause that republics-only tech I've mentioned looks plain.

Tech tree is much more fun than I've expected. On a first look it's boring, but the actual effects are interesting without feeling too gamey. But yeah, UI struggles with highlighting unique or important techs. They should have special icons for unique techs, the ones that open new possibilities like tech or army actions, the ones that are really powerful (I think you already have this, at least that's what laurels and sunbeams are for). On my screenshot below you can see Tallow Soap unique tech (2nd level tech on the right tree) and it's not marked in any way.

Deltasquid posted:

Somebody in this thread also said there's a tech to increase the threshold for civil wars in the oratory tree yet I cannot find it. Impossible to figure things out at a glance.

Sorry for that, it's in Civic tree. Which doesn't change the fact that the UI is bad.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 23, 2021

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Thanks, I also searched through the other trees and missed it so it isn't on you. The UI is just that bad lol

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

You should be able to search for specific bonuses with the lil thing at the top right... though I believe it's case sensitive... for some reason............................!!

e: memorise the exact name and orthography of each of the ten thousand modifier types in this videogame

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

In other news: the game is now very sensitive about mods. If start iron man with a music mod and then turn it off you can no longer load that game even though the version hash is the same.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

You should be able to search for specific bonuses with the lil thing at the top right... though I believe it's case sensitive... for some reason............................!!

e: memorise the exact name and orthography of each of the ten thousand modifier types in this videogame

It's not case sensitive for me. I was able to highlight that tech about the civil war threshold by typing "civil" in the search box. But I still had to open a specific tab, typing it in other tabs gave me nothing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

You can pan around the inventions screen by holding middle mouse, it's insane to me that apparently tons of people didn't even think of trying this when left click didn't work.

Also the comment about potentially not realising that there's cultural inventions applies mostly if you play a culture which doesn't get any. I think only Indians, Greeks, Italics and Gauls / Pannonians get them at the moment. Sucks to be Persian or Arabic I guess.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The cultural inventions used to have a special background in the old system. No idea how that got culled.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Ok now I get it.

Inventions get a special border when they have an on-trigger effect. Like upgrading ruler stats, applying province modifiers etc. Mind you something like "+1 capital trade route" doesn't count cause it's a country stat, not a province modifier. But enabling new building counts as border-worthy. The border looks different depending on the type of invention. So the way it looks gives you no new info. When you are in the Civic tab all inventions with on-trigger effect have laurels and Religios tab inventions have a sunbeam border. Unique inventions have nothing distinguishing them apart from the description that usually mentions culture.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The cultural inventions used to have a special background in the old system. No idea how that got culled.

I honestly think that they forgot because the old system only had like 5 unique inventions or something

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Is there a game with both naval and land combat where the naval combat is interesting?

Star Wars Empire at War springs to mind, I think you can generally count space combat as naval combat.

Anyway, it was mentioned last page. And Imperator really reminds me of Victoria now, maybe specifically Victoria 1 actually.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Okay, loaded up a little bit of a Parisia game, played a few years, did a couple of wars, figured some stuff out.

As has been said, the UI could still use a little polish. I love the new tech system, even though as a settled tribe I get zero use out of it for a long time. I also like the Military Tradition system as well. I'm enjoying the events that pop up and figuring out what my realm consists of, looking at the pops, looking at my resources, and so on.

I started the mission line for Parisia, which I assumed would be "Take over all of Celtia". Well, I activated my war council and waited a year. I expected to get claims. Instead my war council was filled with a bunch of peace loving beatniks because they suggested improving relations with the other Celtic countries nearby. Well, gently caress that. So I go to war so as to get the rest of the Parisia province under my control.

It goes slowly, even with allies, but I eventually siege down their capital. During this time, I realize I'm in another war somehow? Oh, it seems the country I was fighting had an internal revolution at the same time, so I'm in a war against the rebels. Whatever, I just ignore them and wait for my warscore to tick up where I can take all of Parisia. Sue for peace, take the land, done and done.

Oh wait, not done. I'm still at war. With the one little poo poo county that I didn't take because of the rebellion. But I'm still at war with them, and when I look at the war screen, the war goal is listed as "war_goal_dec". So that's a nice bit of "literally unplayable" fodder.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

The tech UI is such a trashfire. I didn't realize most of the tech areas had several trees until I accidentally scrolled out once, and apparently the only way to move around is by scrolling out and then in again on the thing you want to see??

the ui is mostly pretty alright but for some god forsaken reason you cant drag the tress around without middle clicking. who the gently caress ever heard of middle clicking to drag a ui element?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Middle drag to pan is the standard interaction in most modeling, cad and design programs. It's probably why it occasionally copied by game devs.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Oh yeah, one more thing that annoys the crap out of me - I go to import, say, Iron into my capital. I look at the list of countries willing to supply me iron. I want to see which countries are near me/neighbors. I click on a flag. It takes me out of the import screen. Why? I don't want to have to go back and click on my province each and every time just to see generally which countries supply me with that resource. Maybe I'm missing something.

And the message log is an absolute garbage fire. You can't resize it so it takes up a big chunk of the screen. You can't customize message settings - I'm a one province settled tribe in Gaul, why the gently caress am I getting notifications about some distant east Asian power? Why do I get a million pop ups for wars that will not and will never effect me in any way?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

RabidWeasel posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1069650/Ultimate_Admiral_Age_of_Sail/

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
why does the game default to putting archers in the front rank and infantry behind? that doesn't match my image of what a battle should look like but maybe they're supposed to do a bit of damage and then flee?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

fuf posted:

why does the game default to putting archers in the front rank and infantry behind? that doesn't match my image of what a battle should look like but maybe they're supposed to do a bit of damage and then flee?

Yeah, it simulates archers and skirmishers going front rank to trade shots until one or both sides advance into melee, where they then retreat and let the scrum commence.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Is there a good "Let's Play" that you guys would recommend for this latest version? Or for a recent one? The last few times I played, my main goal was to conquer the mediteranean with Rome for the achievement, so I pretty much focussed on the macro side of things. I'd like to see a Let's Play that focus on building cities, territories and the likes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Combat damage dealt in Imperator is directly proportional to current unit strength so archers are deceptively effective if you have superior numbers; they fight for a bit and then get low morale and stop fighting while their unit strength is still high, allowing fresh units to move in to replace them.

Similarly the reduced morale damage taken of LI makes them take more unit damage before fleeing and while they're still fighting at low strength they deal minimal damage themselves.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Has anyone actually found it useful, in game, to have screening skirmishers like this? Or skirmishers at all? I've just given up and gone with straight HI/LC and it's working fine.

e: ^^^ah, apparently yes

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Also uh, is there anything special I need to do for achievements? I don't have any mods and play with ironman turned on but didn't get any chievo for capturing a city and I'm wondering what I might be missing :psyduck:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Randarkman posted:

Star Wars Empire at War springs to mind, I think you can generally count space combat as naval combat.

Anyway, it was mentioned last page. And Imperator really reminds me of Victoria now, maybe specifically Victoria 1 actually.

The land combat kinda sucked tho

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Deltasquid posted:

Also uh, is there anything special I need to do for achievements? I don't have any mods and play with ironman turned on but didn't get any chievo for capturing a city and I'm wondering what I might be missing :psyduck:

Which city? If it's one of the achievements to sack diadochi cities paradox borked it massively. Since diadochi wars now immediately flip territory only the first nation to capture them gets the event to sack it, and achievements look for the result of that event, not just owning the territory.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 24, 2021

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Just the general one for conquering city. "Render unto caesar "I think it is.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Land combat is dogshit in Empire at War but it's kinda understandable, the original trilogy's land battles are kinda weak and not all that interesting, the Rebels land roster is straight up boring, small and not memorable at all, while both Empire and Rebels had equally really cool spaceship designs in all shapes and sizes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oh poo poo did they add spaceships with the new patch.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Has anyone actually found it useful, in game, to have screening skirmishers like this? Or skirmishers at all? I've just given up and gone with straight HI/LC and it's working fine.

e: ^^^ah, apparently yes

Some levies have a lot of archers in so you get used to using them, they are way better vs HI so that's nice

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Deltasquid posted:

Did you pause the game and click the achievements button? For some reason I have to do that to make achievements trigger.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rock-a-bye Roma, on your hilltop
When the die's cast, your cradle will rock

When the truce breaks, your cradle will fall
And there's smothered Roma, cradle and all!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I hired some mercenaries and the leader got some sort of event that added 2 merc cohorts loyal to him and now I cant dismiss the mercenaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Buschmaki posted:

I hired some mercenaries and the leader got some sort of event that added 2 merc cohorts loyal to him and now I cant dismiss the mercenaries

Same, no idea if you can fix it apart from getting the Merc stack mulched.