Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've never heard of this. Where can I learn more? It sounds hilarious.

There’s a whole book about it now! https://newrepublic.com/article/159662/libertarian-walks-into-bear-book-review-free-town-project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The fundamental flaw with both Divisions is that cover shooting is an unbelievably boring and tedious core gameplay loop to build around

This is why the most fun build in Division 2 now is Hunter's Fury with shotgun or SMG, aka shove yourself directly in the enemy's face and either bathe in a glorious shower of death or die horribly in 2 seconds.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

RagnarokZ posted:

The Division 2 isn't as much "good" game, as it is a perfectly functional "live service" game, it's still designed to milk you of your money and trap you in an endless loop of meaningless grind, had it been a single player?

We'd have liberated and consolidated DC and New York and worked as the primary agents of Unification for a broken United States, the end would have been Falloutesque ending path depending on how murderous we'd been in the process.

It would probably been a pretty good game, instead you just got and endless loop, with no real end, if they end it, they can't keep milking you.

The Division 2's greatest strength, is that all the other "Games as a service" are sooooooo much worse.

Eh beyond buying the WoNY expansion I haven’t spent a cent on Div 2 outside the initial purchase. I got to the point I saw all the content and had a couple builds that could do legendary, then got bored after a few seasons. I’m honestly not sure how much different it is from D3 when it comes to endless loop with no real end, like that’s the whole loving genre of looters?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

Division 2 is an okay game to run around and shoot people from cover like it's 2007 but it represents so much failed potential.

Imagine if they had hired a good encounter designer. Or if there were anything to do in the huge lovingly detailed settlements other than "run from one exit to the other". Or if the skills got interesting before level 30. Or if your prestige classes were more interesting than "grenade launcher, sniper rifle, and hell I dunno a crossbow I guess".

Imagine Division 2 with the depth of combat and AI of TLOU2. I would never play another game again. Instead it's kinda like an idle clicker. Enemies just run at you suicidally. You point and click and number go up.

See comparing Div 2 to TLoU or Fallout, I mean, it’s not that. It’s Diablo or PoE. I agree on the skills and prestige, that’s a missed opportunity, but the game is all about explode fool and number go up. Like D3. Fool go boom, number go up, shiny on ground. Repeat.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It's pretty unfair to compare anything to TLOU, one of the best video games of all time, anyway.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've never heard of this. Where can I learn more? It sounds hilarious.

If you google grafton bear attacks there are a bunch of articles and a book about.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Anthem is the Vietnam of video games. Possibly the Syria.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The fundamental flaw with both Divisions is that cover shooting is an unbelievably boring and tedious core gameplay loop to build around

I actually don't mind cover shooting but you need to actually put things into the game to flush people out of it and then cut them down as they rotate, which no game ever bothers to do. It's kind of why i'm into my tacticool shooters right now, because you need to actually use ordinance to make safe kills.

But Division is very haha headshot go brrrrrr

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the mission design in Division 2 is pretty good. After you run the same dungeon a million times things start to get more predictable but the enemy AI does a decent job of trying to surround you and there's some good variety among all the various factions and locations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

It was weird when DC got super hosed and taken back over the instant I beat the game but fighting Black Tusks was fun after dialing in how to fight all the normal groups.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

dogstile posted:

I actually don't mind cover shooting but you need to actually put things into the game to flush people out of it and then cut them down as they rotate, which no game ever bothers to do. It's kind of why i'm into my tacticool shooters right now, because you need to actually use ordinance to make safe kills.

But Division is very haha headshot go brrrrrr

I thought the division was stacked full of various enemies and abilities to flush you out of cover (and vice versa)?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It is but good gear eventually lets you just mindlessly annihilate everything. As it should be.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Div 1 starts that way but eventually you need to magdump into everyone's head to get a kill

Div 2 you don't need to bother.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Are they announcing Anthem's fate any time soon or are they taking the piles of sand approach to writing the press release

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

bandaid.friend posted:

Are they announcing Anthem's fate any time soon or are they taking the piles of sand approach to writing the press release

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1363190221551136769

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Anthem's source code being destroyed in a freak Texas cold snap would be a fitting end to this cursed project.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Division 2 is the Diablo 3 of looter shooters. It narrowed the formula down to a fun loop of doing content to get better gear to put together fun builds so content faster so you get even more gear.

The manhunt, season pass, and challenge tournaments gave you something to focus on. The Summit was (a lovely looking) Nephalen Rift system. Basically it was fantastic to play fir a few weeks / month, do the seasonal stuff, then wait for the next season or manhunt target.

Between recalibration and the newer optimization changes, it’s incredibly easy to put together perfect gear so trying new poo poo or putting together a build has never been easier.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
"political" has just become some kinda weird incel dogwhistle for "women and minorities"
"keep politics out of x" is an underhanded way for right wing people to censor them

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
dunno why but I liked that the locals start calling you The Sheriff in div2

maybe it's because I was this thin blonde woman buried under tactical equipment

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

The Fattest PI posted:

"political" has just become some kinda weird incel dogwhistle for "women and minorities"
"keep politics out of x" is an underhanded way for right wing people to censor them

Division 1 & 2 were unique to the 'political' angle because 1 tasked you with killing looters who were only guilty of taking water and food from unoccupied stores, and 2's introductory cutscene has to be seen to be believed - it's almost a total non-sequiter to the plot to assure the player that the enemies you're about to shoot are 'thugs & hoodlums,' like some kind of 80's privatized cop training video.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Father Wendigo posted:

Division 1 & 2 were unique to the 'political' angle because 1 tasked you with killing looters who were only guilty of taking water and food from unoccupied stores, and 2's introductory cutscene has to be seen to be believed - it's almost a total non-sequiter to the plot to assure the player that the enemies you're about to shoot are 'thugs & hoodlums,' like some kind of 80's privatized cop training video.

lol and even then the main baddies in div 2 are basically oathkeepers and blackwater, with the other two being pyromaniac bugchasers with one hell of an eye for public art and uhh generic paint-huffing amalgam of small time street gangs or whatever the hyenas are supposed to be

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
The hyenas are basically all the kids that spent too much time watching gangster movies / Scarface high on home made angel dust.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BexGu posted:

The hyenas are basically all the kids that spent too much time watching gangster movies / Scarface high on home made angel dust.

lol imagine some kind of cross-city faction warfare DLC, they'd get straight up deleted from existence by rikers

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1364654145559539716

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

RIP

edit: https://blog.bioware.com/2021/02/24/anthem-update/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I tried to pour one out for Anthem but then I hit a loading screen.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I am going to be lurking the subreddit hard. And the official discord. Oh, it’s gonna be meltdown city. Over a game that doesn’t deserve the tears.

Holy gently caress

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

how long are the servers gonna stay up? end of 2022?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:sickos:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

ICR posted:

I am going to be lurking the subreddit hard. And the official discord. Oh, it’s gonna be meltdown city. Over a game that doesn’t deserve the tears.

Holy gently caress
No no no, you see they're just canceling the REBOOT since the game is so good! :mmmhmm:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ICR posted:

Holy gently caress

Why are you posting about Outriders here

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
we are finally free

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Eastbound Spider posted:

I would be stunned if they survive to the end of this year. Announcing a game is getting no more updates ever doesn’t sound great for their micro transaction revenue.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK9Z43bXbXQ

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Like the skull crashing against a wall, anthem has also died

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
But I heard the flying was good

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
13 minutes ago this was posted LMAO

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/lrktpj/im_doing_my_part_ibelieveinanthem/

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Why are you posting about Outriders here

You watch your tude!!!!

Let’s not bring that hex into the real Anthem 2.0

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eastbound Spider posted:

Depends on how much it costs to run. They'll probably keep it up for a year for the optics, but I can't see it lasting much past that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

https://twitter.com/JamieInDE/status/1364657799087722505?s=19