Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ignore that guy, just buy shares, run trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

crows with round bombs are my spirit animal so yeah underground is 100% mandatory.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Argh my Millenium Blades kickstarter has been held in Memphis TN for the past week due to, presumably, weather :(.

I mean it's not like I'm going to get the chance to play it for like months and months, but still.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Live by the rulebook, die by the rulebook miniatures tabletop drama, not a board game, but a) it's short and b) technically a tabletop game & technically correct is the word of the day

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Infinitum posted:

I would buy more chips if I needed to

how? i've been trying to find iron clays on and off for like a year and nowhere has them

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I know the thread isn't too keen on Terraforming Mars but if there's a learn to play video people are fond of I'd appreciate it

We just picked it up and could use something to throw around to the group as a means of introduction

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The next Root expansion is adding badgers in platemail and warlords? The badgers seem to have a Brotherhood of Steel flavor from the Fallout games? I've wanted to grab Root for a while now, but I might as well wait for the big box at this point. maybe then I can go outside and play games with friends again :smith:

They're pretty much just missing ferrets/weasels at this point for the Full Redwall Experience(TM), huh

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 24, 2021

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Hot Diggity! posted:

I know the thread isn't too keen on Terraforming Mars but if there's a learn to play video people are fond of I'd appreciate it

I haven't watched it personally, but Rodney Smith is my go to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3yVpsiVwL8

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
An official Stardew Valley board game has been announced and released for sale. 55 US (seems like a good deal for all the components included) but it only ships within the US (understandable at the moment but disappointing). Looking at the rules, seems like a medium-ish weight worker placement (action selection?) game where you and your friends each take actions around the town to cooperatively make friends and acquire crops. For my money, it seems like they tried to include too much stuff directly from the game, based on the 52,000 decks and minigames for each action. That said, it looks extremely cute and my partner and I are such huge fans of the game that were I not Canadian, it'd be an instant-buy. Hopefully there'll be a TTS mod before too long!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BinaryDoubts posted:

An official Stardew Valley board game has been announced and released for sale. 55 US (seems like a good deal for all the components included) but it only ships within the US (understandable at the moment but disappointing). Looking at the rules, seems like a medium-ish weight worker placement (action selection?) game where you and your friends each take actions around the town to cooperatively make friends and acquire crops. For my money, it seems like they tried to include too much stuff directly from the game, based on the 52,000 decks and minigames for each action. That said, it looks extremely cute and my partner and I are such huge fans of the game that were I not Canadian, it'd be an instant-buy. Hopefully there'll be a TTS mod before too long!

The real question will be if it replicates my own experience with Stardew which is getting half-way across the map before realizing you forgot the bombs you'd built for the mine. Or that you went to town and are almost back when the sinking sensation sets in that you didn't pick up your watering can which was the whole point of the trip initially, its almost closing time and the blacksmith is closed tomorrow.

Looks interesting though! I'm also enough of a fan that if its fun I'd definitely pick it up It's not too bad too price wise, I expect tie in games to have lots of cruft and to be three figures these days, so that's nice.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 24, 2021

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Carillon posted:

The real question will be if it replicates my own experience with Stardew which is getting half-way across the map before realizing you forgot the bombs you'd built for the mine. Or that you went to town and are almost back when the sinking sensation sets in that you didn't pick up your watering can which was the whole point of the trip initially and the blacksmith is closed tomorrow.

Looks interesting though! I'm also enough of a fan that if its fun I'd definitely pick it up It's not too bad too price wise, I expect tie in games to have lots of cruft and to be three figures these days, so that's nice.

I'm pretty happy they didn't try to replicate the fatigue system. My version of the Stardew board game would be entirely focused on cooking and eating as much food as possible so you don't pass out at 2PM.

I'm beginning to justify buying it and having it reshipped to me since I can count it as a gift for my partner's upcoming birthday...

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I was reading the rules yesterday with my Stardew Valley partner. It looks like Pandemic's deck system but much smaller and without the cards themselves being the resource. Then it's merged into Arkham Horror, particularly the Mythos cards and the map to certain extent with slightly less focus on speed (since you can start anywhere, and moving between them is more a set of choices) and with many more forms of currency. The fact that you only have 2* actions each day and there are 4 days per season makes it sound very tough. Hiding a certain number of the goals is a very interesting conceit, but I wonder if the game would become samey because the action economy is so structured. Then again, there are 20 season cards per season, of which you only use 4, so there is likely a lot of variance there. I just wonder if they end up being "two actions" for essentially all of them.

The fact that the trees are a stump and you put the tree over the stump to make a whole tree, which you then cut down, is very clever.

Still considering a buy, honestly. It won't replace Pandemic Iberia as my go to co-op, but it's not altogether that similar.

*Not including incidental foraging (which I suspect is actually hugely important) and gaining a spouse action.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Apparently every man and his dog launched a KS today, so here's a round-up

Will Make a Bajillion Dollars
Tiny Epic Dungeons - Dungeon crawler with minis. Cheap and unlocking a fuckton of stretch goals.
Root: The Marauder Expansion - Brotherhood of Badgers & Murder Mice! Also hire mercenaries!
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns: The Game - Solo game with minis & batarang dice!

Board Games for Nerds
Ragnarocks - New game by Santorini creator that looks like Santorini BUT VIKINGS
Chamber of Wonders - Setup a chamber of oddities, attract business, destroy your enemies. Darkest Dungeon style art.
Orconomics; 2nd Edition - You iz ork. Youz do buzness
Finding Anastasia - Hidden role social deduction game
Dawn of Titan - Duke it out for control of Saturn's moons.
Judean Hammer - 2 player area control about Maccabean Revolt
Business As Usual - Board control monopoly?

Card Nerds
Aeons End: Legacy of Gravehold - Expansion for popular deck builder
Sins: Spawns of Minions - Want a BILLION options for cards?
Crimson Company: 3rd Expansion - Hearthstone + Legends of Runeterra = Good?
Hunted: Wode Ridge - 2 player coop in the vein of Stranger Things - Cool art
Dawn - A deduction card game /w cool art
Formation - An abstract card arranger
The Red Dragon Inn: Pub Crawl - Expansion about going on a bender

Dice Nerds
Xinobi Dice & Throwing Stars - Want some super expensive dice because they're cast metal & forged in Japan?
Dice for all 2 - Dice are gay now.

Weird poo poo
Tiny Turbo Cars - Use a sliding puzzle to race cars
Candy Wars - Weird as poo poo multi-layer combat game that's candy themed
Wutaki - Weird little worker placement game surrounding volcanoes and bugs?
Cakes! - Cakes!
Sabobatage - Suck my balls

That's just the list for TODAY. And leaves out all the zines + RPG games.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Countblanc posted:

how? i've been trying to find iron clays on and off for like a year and nowhere has them

I believe https://iron-clays-and-spades.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders is the answer, but you may want to double check.

I got my set through the Steampunk Rally pledge manager and I would recommend slacker backing Radlands for a crack at it buuuuuuutttttt they're apparently having a copyright dispute atm due to a guy who claims he invented it (It is most likely a hollow claim)

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Infinitum posted:

I believe https://iron-clays-and-spades.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders is the answer, but you may want to double check.

I got my set through the Steampunk Rally pledge manager and I would recommend slacker backing Radlands for a crack at it buuuuuuutttttt they're apparently having a copyright dispute atm due to a guy who claims he invented it (It is most likely a hollow claim)

I've been following the original Radlands for years, and thematically and in terms of graphic design, it seems like the very least that this Roxley version has been peeking over the shoulder of the older one. It's pretty grimy.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Played a few games of Modern Art with the in-laws. Really great, simple, mechanics. The core trade-offs work well and the different auction types keep each round interesting. There felt like there was a lot of depth, but even players who didn't really think that hard about optimal (or even reasonable) strategies etc had fun selling and bidding for art.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Stardew Valley’s designer isn’t giving me feelgoods. I’ll wait for people to get some plays in before caring.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 24, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

djfooboo posted:

Standee Valley’s designer isn’t giving me feelgoods. I’ll wait for people to get some plays in before caring.

Presuming you're referring to the Stardew Valley game, same here. Considering it's only available in the US, it'd be really nice if they could make a TTS mod for it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I’ll wait for the app version

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Bellmaker posted:

They're pretty much just missing ferrets/weasels at this point for the Full Redwall Experience(TM), huh

I won’t be happy until I get dandelion wine in the game.

I’m very interested in trying the new factions and hirelings. Hopefully they release the TTS mod tomorrow with the PNP.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
A quick scan of the rulebook makes it seem like there's a few ways to scale difficulty which seem interesting, but there doesn't seem to be any anti-quarterbacking measures in place*, which seems like a mistake.

*except for inevitable arguments about who the group will collectively marry.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

the new badger faction seems boss af and the hirelings seem like a real game changer for my handsomest boys in the lizard cult

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Buck Wildman posted:

the new badger faction seems boss af and the hirelings seem like a real game changer for my handsomest boys in the lizard cult

have they posted a deep dive on teh badgers? only seen stuff for the rats so far

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

[snip]

This is fantastic. Thanks for putting this together!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Impermanent posted:

have they posted a deep dive on teh badgers? only seen stuff for the rats so far

https://ledergames.com/blogs/news/root-designer-diary-2-rats-let-s-get-rowdy

https://ledergames.com/blogs/news/root-designer-diary-3-seeking-out-the-hidden-root-the-marauder-expansion

https://ledergames.com/blogs/news/root-the-marauder-expansion-designer-diary-4-hirelings-galore

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

Thanks for the round-up. It's tough to stay on top of KS and I've definitely missed stuff I would have otherwise backed.

In train news: my copy of 1849 arrived and I've been going through the rules and getting excited about playing it. I just wanted to see if people would clarify the concept of the different track gauges for me. My interpretation of the rules seems to indicate that track gauge primarily affects A) price of laying/upgrading the tile on it (pure narrow is always 1/4 the price, anything else 100%) and B) the cost to run through said hex via the type of train being used (narrow is always 2x unless using the R train). Am I missing anything?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Nah you got it. NG costs a quarter as much, but is half as efficient to run on. Other things are you can change gauges at any revenue centre (ie towns too) but track that changes between stations is unusable (and therefore only laid out of spite).
You only get the discount when all of the new track is NG, there's an end game train that flips the efficiency thing, and white track is player's choice.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

FulsomFrank posted:

Thanks for the round-up. It's tough to stay on top of KS and I've definitely missed stuff I would have otherwise backed.

In train news: my copy of 1849 arrived and I've been going through the rules and getting excited about playing it. I just wanted to see if people would clarify the concept of the different track gauges for me. My interpretation of the rules seems to indicate that track gauge primarily affects A) price of laying/upgrading the tile on it (pure narrow is always 1/4 the price, anything else 100%) and B) the cost to run through said hex via the type of train being used (narrow is always 2x unless using the R train). Am I missing anything?

You got it, as an example if you're say upgrading a dit to green and only adding narrow gauge to the tile you'd only pay the 1/4 cost, even though there's already broad gauge on the tile. Upgrading it to dual gauge in brown would cost the full amount.

The two big things folks screw up with track is 1.) every lay/upgrade on a terrain tile costs money (in most games it's just the yellow tile) and 2.) you only pay for the track you add to the tile when upgrading.

Other things folks miss is 1.) a company moves down one space at the end of a stock round where they have shares in the market, 2.) you cannot issue shares in a company's first OR, plan ahead, and 3.) when the earthquake levels Messina it cannot be upgraded until after the next Stock Round, not Operating Round (so it could be yellow for a while!).

I also recommend playing with the bonds, it's minimal extra rules, the train rush tends to stall a bit without it, and honestly I think it's friendlier to new players (the R6Hs often (but not always!) help keep someone from exploding too badly when 8Hs rust, so the speedier train rush isn't AS deadly).

You don't need Electric Dreams at all personally.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 24, 2021

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

3.) when the earthquake levels Messina it cannot be upgraded until after the next Stock Round, not Operating Round (so it could be yellow for a while!).

Huh! Well I'll be.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Dice for all 2 - Dice are gay now.

That's cool as heck! I don't even particularly like dice and I had to buy these :v:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

fadderman posted:

Just to put the people on the edge on 18xx games, I am willing to teach it to newbies trough 18xx.games and discord.

It will be 18chesapeake since that is the 18xx I am most familiar with of the starter 18xx.
Pm if you want to join and and what time you can(remember time zones). I am on many of the SA discord too, so you can also contact me trough those channels. I am active during CET, but being unemployed since Covid I can change my schedule quite a lot

I might be taking you up on this as I keep eyeing a 18xx game to teach my group. I think they'll learn to hate me for it but god dammit it sounds fun

BinaryDoubts posted:

Uuuuuuuuuugggh. I love Stardew Valley. Might have to buy this. I've literally bought and gifted 10 or so copies of the actual PC game + bought a copy on every system.

Infinitum posted:

Will Make a Bajillion Dollars
Tiny Epic Dungeons - Dungeon crawler with minis. Cheap and unlocking a fuckton of stretch goals.
Board Games for Nerds
Chamber of Wonders - Setup a chamber of oddities, attract business, destroy your enemies. Darkest Dungeon style art.
Orconomics; 2nd Edition - You iz ork. Youz do buzness
Finding Anastasia - Hidden role social deduction game
Card Nerds
Aeons End: Legacy of Gravehold - Expansion for popular deck builder
Dawn - A deduction card game /w cool art

That's just the list for TODAY. And leaves out all the zines + RPG games.

My lady is gonna loving kill me. Oof. Gotta stop checking this thread

A while back I asked about Eclipse Second Dawn vs Twilight Imperium. Curious if anyone has seen Eclipse for a half way decent price lately? Would love to grab a copy

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I more or less stopped buying games because no one ever wanted to play with me and my wife gets overwhelmed if the rules are slightly complicated (though she loves Catan and Ticket to Ride, go figure) but I actually got fed a Facebook ad for Tiny Epic Dungeon. Originally I scrolled past it but ended up taking a look and now I’m out $48.

Hopefully by the time I get it we might be able to get people to play with. I stopped backing KS stuff a long time ago because I had a track record of video games not getting finished, but I know the Tiny Epic guys have released a bunch of games so they’ll end up making good on this. And worst case I could probably use one of the minis for D&D if I ever ended up doing in person tabletop again.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Tensokuu posted:

I more or less stopped buying games because no one ever wanted to play with me and my wife gets overwhelmed if the rules are slightly complicated (though she loves Catan and Ticket to Ride, go figure) but I actually got fed a Facebook ad for Tiny Epic Dungeon. Originally I scrolled past it but ended up taking a look and now I’m out $48.

Hopefully by the time I get it we might be able to get people to play with. I stopped backing KS stuff a long time ago because I had a track record of video games not getting finished, but I know the Tiny Epic guys have released a bunch of games so they’ll end up making good on this. And worst case I could probably use one of the minis for D&D if I ever ended up doing in person tabletop again.

Every tiny epic game except maybe 1 is extremely mediocre. They have a track record of releasing very average games. If money is tight or whatever don't back this!!!

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Tiny epic galaxies is good, the rest is 'meh' indeed

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Tiny Epic Tactics, if you're into light move-or-attack style game play, is pretty adorable. You get a cloth map with a grid on it, and the box has maybe 8 or so smaller boxes inside of varying size that become terrain and/or interior areas. I got it for my birthday a few years back and played the deathmatch variant with the kids who got it for me.

Also nice is that we could be huddled around our game on one end of the table while other people played something else entirely on the other end, and there was still room for snacks.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Alternatively watch a playthrough or 2 and decide if it's something you're interested in.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

theroachman posted:

Tiny epic galaxies is good, the rest is 'meh' indeed

I have high hopes for epic pirates!!!!

Or maybe I'll just buy any game with boats!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fischtick posted:

Tiny Epic Tactics, if you're into light move-or-attack style game play, is pretty adorable. You get a cloth map with a grid on it, and the box has maybe 8 or so smaller boxes inside of varying size that become terrain and/or interior areas. I got it for my birthday a few years back and played the deathmatch variant with the kids who got it for me.

Also nice is that we could be huddled around our game on one end of the table while other people played something else entirely on the other end, and there was still room for snacks.

Yeah, Tactics is good. Mechs is really good too, very reminiscent of Adrenaline but more Capture the Flag than Deathmatch.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jarvisi posted:

I have high hopes for epic pirates!!!!

Or maybe I'll just buy any game with boats!

Tiny Epic Pirates fulfilment for US/Aus beings in like a week and I'm really looking forward to it.

They even managed to get the stupid dumb skull dice manufactured correctly :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Tiny Chalupa posted:

A while back I asked about Eclipse Second Dawn vs Twilight Imperium. Curious if anyone has seen Eclipse for a half way decent price lately? Would love to grab a copy

Pretty sure it’s between printings. 31 July 2021 per Lautipelet website.