Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

signalnoise posted:

You might be the target audience of this review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b2KRd5vXxM

this guy seems to struggle with simply figuring out how to play the game dunno about his ability to fix cars lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I enjoyed the first Ghost Recon (the PC one). I don't remember if it had as much tactical planning, but it was kinda cool. Even better is that you could coop the entire thing with 3-4 other people.

the first one was good, advanced warfighter was good, and imo the recent-ish one called wildlands was also quite good.

breakpoint seems to be garbage though

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

veni veni veni posted:

My favorite thing about the forums over the years is all of the Souls naysayers that inevitably eventually get hooked and then have to backpedal all of the stupid poo poo they have said.

It took me until Bloodborne to try them because the Dark Souls discourse back in the day made it sound like masocore when it's actually a pretty chill game.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

this guy seems to struggle with simply figuring out how to play the game dunno about his ability to fix cars lol

The controls are wonky and there is a steep learning curve that's not helped by the lack of any meaningful tutorials. That said I have probably over a hundred hours in the game and adore it on the level of Euro Truck Simulator 2. I had almost zero knowledge on how cars work IRL, but I still convinced my uncle to let me try changing the brake pads on his Volvo 240 and we totally got it done.
There's also a ton of modded cars that you can just get from the Steam Workshop so there's deffo something you'd like there. Want to work on the 89 Batmobile? It's right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLS2tD6zH4w

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lodin posted:

The controls are wonky and there is a steep learning curve that's not helped by the lack of any meaningful tutorials. That said I have probably over a hundred hours in the game and adore it on the level of Euro Truck Simulator 2. I had almost zero knowledge on how cars work IRL, but I still convinced my uncle to let me try changing the brake pads on his Volvo 240 and we totally got it done.
There's also a ton of modded cars that you can just get from the Steam Workshop so there's deffo something you'd like there. Want to work on the 89 Batmobile? It's right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLS2tD6zH4w

Can I work on this car in the game????

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Meme Poker Party posted:

It has steam workshop support and the Viper GTS is already part of that so yea

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
40k exists in a weird place, much like Mortal Kombat, where it is double-think simultaneously both INCREDIBLY tongue in cheek and also played completely straight at all times. I think it comes from the fact it was originally satirical.

Anyway, people saying all the fiction in that universe is poo poo, I dunno, probably? I believe you. But this is loving rad as hell:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2bko5GgK5v8

They get better as they go, the first and second might not seem much but it's honestly worth it. (Im sure some peeps will pipe up to agree).

One dude made them all, it's crazy.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

40k fiction is terrible because they removed the coolest faction from the universe, Squats. Just kidding it's all pretty bad, but the best version of the game setting-wise is definitely first edition. Back when space marines weren't all scrolls and shields but more beer and being ugly as hell. They really used to lean into space marines being bad guys, now they're clearly meant to represent good guys.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
40k is just what 100 organized Kevin Sembiedas would come up with if locked in a room together.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I'm reading the Horus Heresy books rn and it's not bad. Certainly not the worst schlocky fiction I've read.

The first two Dawn of War games introduced me to the universe and I thought they were awesome, but the tabletop game just seems like adding expensive toys to math with guys who don't shower, going by the games I've seen played at the game shops in my area.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

signalnoise posted:

I think she may have done the sex options but basically the conclusion was that they were both incredibly manipulative shitheads that no one should ever fall in love with

triss being a maniuplative shithead who just wants to gently caress geralt partially out of curiosity and partially to get yennefer's goat is canon, so your wife is right

yennefer is just yennefer

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Triss is absolutely the correct choice.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Gaius Marius posted:

Triss is absolutely the correct choice.

I appreciate your devotion to the thread premise and disagree.

My apparently unpopular opinion is that the Witcher 3 has great combat. Granted, it was a little too easy and simple on anything but the hardest difficulty

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Meme Poker Party posted:

A good car.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Valheim is the most uninspired looking game that I've seen in a while and I'm absolutely baffled that it's blown up like this.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

fridge corn posted:

I'm always mildly curious to try out Car Mechanic Simulator just to see how accurate it is being that I am a mechanic irl but I dont really want to spend any money on it for a whim. Besides I dont think they have packs for the cars I'm most familiar working with anyway

You can click on the parts to unbolt them and they don't get stuck and you don't have to stick your hand into weird places and nothing bends or breaks or goes on wrong so it's missing 99% of the car fixing experience.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

bloodborne owns and is the only souls game i've ever 'beaten', kinda i've beaten the earliest possible final boss so i could just talk to someone, watch a cutscene and go to NG+, but i'm shooting for the ending with two more bosses, plus some DLC stuff left to finish. i find it really, really hard to go back to DS1, everything is so much slower and it feels like it's harder to get a build that does any kind of real damage to even midgame enemies.

after playing more DeS remake i think it's really solidified that i prefer the archstone hub world design to the interlocking worlds of the others. yeah, they're amazing when you finally do find your way around and learn the tricks and shortcuts, but especially early on it often feels like you can get kind of stuck. much better in my mind to be able to back out and try a different level like an old mega man game. this applies doubly to 1 where your fast travel is so limited.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Valheim is the most uninspired looking game that I've seen in a while and I'm absolutely baffled that it's blown up like this.

it's fun to build a house

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

I guess its just people who always want to try a new videogame hoping its the one that they really love and is better and all the rest so they download every new fad and put 20 hours into it before getting fed up and moving onto the next big thing.

they should just play rocket league, honestly

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Gotta agree with this. I don't think I'm really the target demo to begin with, but if someone made a single player game that looked like that it wouldn't even be torrented for free. Bland, ugly, boring looking. Maybe the multiplayer elements make up for all that but I doubt it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i love jeff vogel and kickstarted geneforge 1 mutagen but man i am not in a place right now where i can sit down and dig into a spiderweb software game

does geneforge have GIFTS or are those more of an avernum thing, i never got far in the original version of geneforge

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The same group who recommended Valheim are the game group who tried to get me to buy rust

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I assume it's one of those games that is fine to play coop with people you like and absolutely awful to play with pubbies, ie most multiplayer games. Hell, among us was fun for a hot minute.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The same group who recommended Valheim are the game group who tried to get me to buy rust

I played Rust briefly as a friend was into it and wanted a co-op buddy so much he gifted me it.

It was a bad time.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Three weeks old and almost 100,000 overwhelmingly positive reviews god drat

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Play posted:

Gotta agree with this. I don't think I'm really the target demo to begin with, but if someone made a single player game that looked like that it wouldn't even be torrented for free. Bland, ugly, boring looking. Maybe the multiplayer elements make up for all that but I doubt it

it's a game for the minecraft demographic so expectations are really low

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

i love jeff vogel and kickstarted geneforge 1 mutagen but man i am not in a place right now where i can sit down and dig into a spiderweb software game

does geneforge have GIFTS or are those more of an avernum thing, i never got far in the original version of geneforge

I haven't played it but I looked into it and Spiderweb software seems the perfect name for them because it looks really complex, confusing, annoying, and inconvenient. And you need to clean it up with a broom. Maybe I'm straining the metaphor a bit

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Play posted:

I haven't played it but I looked into it and Spiderweb software seems the perfect name for them because it looks really complex, confusing, annoying, and inconvenient. And you need to clean it up with a broom. Maybe I'm straining the metaphor a bit

sws games are almost entirely made by one guy so they look kinda primitive but they're not complex or confusing at all. maybe like, the old OLD versions of some of his stuff (like Exile vs the remake Avernum) but everything he's put out this century is actually very nice and has a lot of QoL stuff

Avernum is probably the game i have the most playtime with on a touchscreen

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Those old exile games were great

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

sws games are almost entirely made by one guy so they look kinda primitive but they're not complex or confusing at all. maybe like, the old OLD versions of some of his stuff (like Exile vs the remake Avernum) but everything he's put out this century is actually very nice and has a lot of QoL stuff

Avernum is probably the game i have the most playtime with on a touchscreen

look bud it's 2021 i expect bright colors, perfect graphics and instant gratification at all times. if I'm not sucking down dopamine within 20 seconds of opening the exe something's gone wrong

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Shadow of the Colossus loving sucks

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Technowrite posted:

Its good but it could be better and the kinda people who say its an amazing game also say journey is an amazing game

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Technowrite posted:

Shadow of the Colossus is a loving masterpiece.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its good but it could be better and the kinda people who say its an amazing game also say journey is an amazing game

Journey is awesome and the moment you realize that the random characters you meet are actual human players it loving blew my mind.
I wish more games would have that feature (please post other games that do the same).

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Play posted:

look bud it's 2021 i expect bright colors, perfect graphics and instant gratification at all times. if I'm not sucking down dopamine within 20 seconds of opening the exe something's gone wrong

Exactly you hear that companies I want to play video games not sit here while you masturbate to your terrible plot. Even if it's good/alright I still probably just want to play the game part. I've been replaying Talos Principle (this time in VR.) and I'm just thinking fuuuuuuuck just put all the puzzles in a nice linear fashion and gently caress off with all this time wastey hub world stuff. I'll probably stop playing the main game and try the DLC as I haven't played that yet.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 25, 2021

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Play posted:

then why do so many games have lovely mandatory intro tutorial sequences

like I got gta5 for free on Epic and I wanna play it but I don't want to go through the intro missions

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

feelix posted:

then why do so many games have lovely mandatory intro tutorial sequences

like I got gta5 for free on Epic and I wanna play it but I don't want to go through the intro missions

Just out of sheer curiosity, who the hell waits till 2021 to play gta5 :shrug:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Just out of sheer curiosity, who the hell waits till 2021 to play gta5 :shrug:

A person who never wanted to play it that badly and now is only thinking about giving it a try because they got it for free?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

feelix posted:

A person who never wanted to play it that badly and now is only thinking about giving it a try because they got it for free?

I mean fine man im not judging but drat man 2013 called you in for some poo poo

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Well it's not a recent thing with GTA. They've always kept basic game features behind tons of missions. In San Andreas you have to go to your house, go to the funeral, escape from the funeral, go with ryder to get your hair cut, rob the clucknbell with ryder, escape, go graffiti tagging with your brother, and probably drive big smoke around a bunch and you're still not even halfway to opening the first gun store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

GTA 5 doesn't have the worst intro missions ever, although they are too long and lack difficulty. The game is kind of boring until you finally get introduced to Trevor, which is after probably hours and hours of playing.

From what I see online the mods, different modes, and just messing about with the engine seems like the best part of the game tbh. Rockstar games have never had the best actual gameplay