Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Not even gonna lie; I want to see these posts today. I want to see the meltdowns. And hope.

I just know somebody is posting on the subreddit

“I can’t believe this happened. I didn’t see it coming.”

“I don’t believe it. This can’t be real.”

“I still log in daily. Please re-review this and keep the game up.”

“Ok, but when is Anthem 3.0?”

Not that I live in the misery well, but today, and just today, I need this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Today we are all the skull.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

:toot:

Anthem is a dead bad game

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ZeeBoi posted:

:toot:

Anthem is a dead bad game

I do feel bad for the devs, but Bioware's management deserves this.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/lrj7d7/ea_dont_you_dare_give_up_on_this_game/

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://blog.bioware.com/2021/02/24/anthem-update/

quote:

In the spirit of transparency and closure we wanted to share that we’ve made the difficult decision to stop our new development work on Anthem (aka Anthem NEXT). We will, however, continue to keep the Anthem live service running as it exists today.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1364658734375391235?s=21

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I am glad Anthem is dead.

IMO.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

:rip:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
In case you're wondering, of loving course I'm spamming my game around. I'm not going to work on it any faster but I am but a man, and I still get endorphins from engagement

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

this mfer is gonna line up to play whatever slop Bioware ladels into the trough next

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

drat this is shocking news

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

eonblue174 posted:

In case you're wondering, of loving course I'm spamming my game around. I'm not going to work on it any faster but I am but a man, and I still get endorphins from engagement

Hey, just wanna say that your stuff does look impressive, it's cool to see what's possible within Dreams. And right now it's the #1 actively developed video game software that includes "Anthem" in the title!

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Lmao they strung people along for like 2 years then just canceled it. EA will continue to get away with it because gamers keep throwing money at them regardless. They struck gold.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
This really isn't on EA because Anthem was a Bioware-caused trashfire from the very first pitch

Really the only thing we can blame EA for is not killing Anthem years before release

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Its hilarious and sad that they didn't even show a shred of gameplay from this reboot.

E: but they did have blog posts about some ingame changes lmao. wtf

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gasoline posted:

This really isn't on EA because Anthem was a Bioware-caused trashfire from the very first pitch

Really the only thing we can blame EA for is not killing Anthem years before release

IIRC, the EA suits are the ones who suggested the ONLY good thing about the game: the flying.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

They gave us an after effects animation of a destiny UI ripoff

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
truly the bob dylan of games

Jose Oquendo posted:

IIRC, the EA suits are the ones who suggested the ONLY good thing about the game: the flying.
also gave them years and years and years while bioware kept loving around with what the game should be and accomplishing almost nothing

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gasoline posted:

Didn't you read that huge article about how EA stuck them with an engine that was terribly suited for the project and everything just got worse from there? EA deserves plenty of blame.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Sinteres posted:

Didn't you read that huge article about how EA stuck them with an engine that was terribly suited for the project and everything just got worse from there? EA deserves plenty of blame.

yeah but the source on "this engine EA stuck us with is terrible for this project!!!" is the devs themselves, so uh

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

nope, this is 100% bioware.

quote:

Instead of strong-arming developers into using the engine with a company-wide mandate, [Patrick] Soderlund [Executive Vice President of EA] wanted to take a different route. "We'll produce great games on it, games that look good and we think are developed in the proper way, and then hopefully if people will want to use it, they're going to come and ask for it," he said.

That's exactly what happened. BioWare reached out to EA about using the engine for the next games in its Dragon Age and Mass Effect role-playing franchises.
https://www.engadget.com/2013/11/19/electronic-arts-frostbite-battlefield-mass-effect/

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
there was also an article about apex legends and they were like "we could've used frostbite but we were like nah and EA was cool with that" so yeah, bioware just sucks, the next ME will suck and DA will suck harder because its a dead company limping along by using middle aged fans as a sales crutch

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The EA forcing their developers to only use Frostbite was only ever just a rumour and has been proven false over the years - Jedi Fallen Order was also not on it.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Which problems with Anthem come from the engine? Loading times? DA:I used Frostbite too

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Good riddance.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Thom12255 posted:

The EA forcing their developers to only use Frostbite was only ever just a rumour and has been proven false over the years - Jedi Fallen Order was also not on it.
some peeps just wanna not believe bioware sucks massive krogan balls I guess

leftist heap posted:

Which problems with Anthem come from the engine? Loading times? DA:I used Frostbite too
it was a catch-all for any criticism, because they had to work with this new engine that was constantly changing, they HAD to make a lovely loving game with poo poo mechanics and poo poo story and just was a giant pile of poo poo in general but its not my beautiful biowares fault

I remember when TOR launched with its endless loving problems, people did the same thing but about hero engine

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The fact that Dragon Age Inquisition was a success seems more and more like a miracle every day

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Oh yeah. The meltdowns are real.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

definitely not buying another BioWare game unless it comes with a full refund for anthem

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Disargeria posted:

An'thems the breaks, I tell ya.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The fact that Dragon Age Inquisition was a success seems more and more like a miracle every day

If it had released after or near the same time as The Witcher 3, I'm pretty sure it would have bombed hard

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

ErrEff posted:

Hey, just wanna say that your stuff does look impressive, it's cool to see what's possible within Dreams. And right now it's the #1 actively developed video game software that includes "Anthem" in the title!

Thanks! So, the ease of use of Dreams as an engine has allowed me to make this game in around 100 hrs of gameplay. That is because there is very little friction between my idea and the execution. Sounds like, with frostbite, there was hours of waiting for changes to bake in. My impression has been that Bioware lost or kicked out the majority of the creative involved with their impressive games.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TheAgent posted:

some peeps just wanna not believe bioware sucks massive krogan balls I guess

Nah I just assumed that giant article wasn't total bullshit. I don't think the Bioware name has meant anything for a while.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
anthem next more like anthem dead

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

DA:I should have been a wake-up call for the company, but its success tricked them into thinking that their internal organizational strategy worked, or was at least tenable. The result has been two massive flops and an increasingly skeptical consumer base. I don't think they have a future if they don't massively knock it out of the park with DA4, and the fact that they're seemingly putting all hands on deck for it means they know it, too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Requiem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Vermain posted:

I don't think they have a future if they don't massively knock it out of the park with DA4, and the fact that they're seemingly putting all hands on deck for it means they know it, too.

People said that about Anthem too.