Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Daktar posted:

Am I remembering rightly that pre-forts there was no ZoC and every county had its own fort that had to be seiged down? I can barely recall playing any games before then.

Yeah. From what I understand this was a big problem for province density as adding new provinces meant much longer wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

honestly forts...mostly work? It's just that, unlike most glitches that the player can easily exploit themselves, almost every time you notice a fort fuckup it looks like the AI is cheating.

Yeah, someone earlier did a good job observing that it doesn't really matter if the AI is actually cheating or not, if the rules are so absurd and arcane that players aren't understanding it anyway.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

That right there is the secret of Victoria 2 success: random and buggy world simulation looks fine if you can't understand the rules.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

wait so if they have only one fort and you cap it you full occupy them now? when i last played it only auto-capped adjacent provinces

if you capture a fort in imperator rome you capture it's zoc; if you capture the provincial capital you capture the province (unless there is a fort in the province, in which case the controller of it keeps control over it's zoc). you can basically think of it as the controller of a fort always getting control over the zoc of the fort and capturing a provincial capital gives you control over the entire province except for any forts.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Oh great now Maria wants to join the empire. I want the imperial authority so banning their entry is probably the correct choice.

But I suspect it will hurt my chances of inheriting burgundy...

Edit. Ah damnit she just fell to pretender rebels anyway, now Duke Pierre I Semur is in the throne. Guess I have to eat them the hard way.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 24, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ilitarist posted:

That right there is the secret of Victoria 2 success: random and buggy world simulation looks fine if you can't understand the rules.
Not quite in EU4's case since you very clearly can see the AI move its armies around and do things you can't so visually it's basically just cheating whenever it pleases with zones and third party access. I'd swear what the AI does isn't always covered by the big list of exceptions to the weird fort rules.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Poil posted:

Not quite in EU4's case since you very clearly can see the AI move its armies around and do things you can't so visually it's basically just cheating whenever it pleases with zones and third party access. I'd swear what the AI does isn't always covered by the big list of exceptions to the weird fort rules.

it is. i know you feel this way, but its just because the fort system is obtuse, hardly functional, and generally quite poorly implemented. the ai doesnt cheat (in this case).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

it is. i know you feel this way, but its just because the fort system is obtuse, hardly functional, and generally quite poorly implemented. the ai doesnt cheat (in this case).
Even here? :(

(blue line marks the path the AI army casually walked, my fort was at full maintenance for years before I declared the war)

And how do they sometimes get access through third party nations and I don't? I've even had an army randomly get force exiled in the middle of a country during a war as I suddenly lost military access because the AI somehow cancelled it. Also the AI can occasionally keep fleets safe during war indefinitely by repeatably canceling the move order when it gets kicked out from port when the province gets occupied.

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 24, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Did AI split their army near your fort?

The thing screenshots don't give enough info to analyze any of those screebshots. What does that specific army considers its "home" province? Was they on that path before the war started? I can't tell you if AI cheats bit with a system that they've implemented I think it'd be very hard to actually make AI following its own set of rules, they barely were able to make one set of fort rules that doesn't explode.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Moves that are valid at the time they're made are always executed, even if they become invalid partway through. This can explain some AI cheating sometimes. The player can take advantage of this too by sending an army deep into enemy territory at the start of a war where the AI wasn't paying for their forts initially.

In this case, if Sweden had a fort in the province that is occupied at the bottom of the screen, this would've been a valid move for them while they still held it since their fort would cancel the zone of control in the province where the 10k stack is. It being occupied by you won't cancel the already-made move.

If that province has been occupied for a long time before this screenshot was taken, then it's something else, but if it's freshly occupied then I bet that's the explanation.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there might be sea zone shenanigans going on there too if those troops were ever in the gulf

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
tl;dr forts are a mysterious black box and there is literally no way to know if they will ever properly project zone of control

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
In non-fort chat:

England we need to have a chat why is your capital in America. Are you drunk.

Oh

The most successful AI Ireland I have ever seen.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

I've gotta assume that England got the poo poo kicked out of it by the French during the early parts of that game.

edit - also, holy poo poo, the view of the americas just opened up for me in my byzantium game.

it's zoomed out fully to get everything, but portugal appears to control pretty much all of brazil/southern south america. France has a bit of land on the Caribbean coast of South America and Central America is getting dominated by Spain. And North America is getting swarmed by both Spain and England. Also, I'm amused that Norway moved to what is Newfoundland in real life because they got completely kicked out of Scandinavia by Sweden (who has also almost completely taken over Denmark).

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 25, 2021

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Poil posted:

Even here? :(

(blue line marks the path the AI army casually walked, my fort was at full maintenance for years before I declared the war)

And how do they sometimes get access through third party nations and I don't? I've even had an army randomly get force exiled in the middle of a country during a war as I suddenly lost military access because the AI somehow cancelled it. Also the AI can occasionally keep fleets safe during war indefinitely by repeatably canceling the move order when it gets kicked out from port when the province gets occupied.

Pathing and access check is separate.

Hälsingland might be accessible due to Stockholm there being a swedish province, i cant recall rules.

Imperator has a ”lets not have weird exceptions logic to avoid armies getting trapped” rule, and instead have shattered retreat button incase you get stuck.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My head hurts trying to figure this out. :psyduck: Doesn't help that it was a week ago now so I don't remember enough and deleted my save like a moron when I got bored so I can't look it up again.

pdxjohan posted:

Imperator has a ”lets not have weird exceptions logic to avoid armies getting trapped” rule, and instead have shattered retreat button incase you get stuck.
That sounds like an infinitely better way of handling it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What's the deal with Denmark?

If I start in Europe and am big enough to be valid, Denmark will rival me. Every time.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If I start in Europe and am big enough to be valid, Denmark will rival me. Every time.

Something's rotten.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Danes are just plain evil. HTH.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Groke posted:

Must be why Sweden utterly crushed them in my Byzantium game.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Sometimes when I'm playing a mediterranean power, I build a huge fuckoff fleet of galleys and sail them up to sink the Danish fleet just because.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Groke posted:

You should play as us once, it's probably the most open game plan in all of EU4.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Are there any YouTubers this thread would recommend? I want my EU4 fix but am in that zone where I don't want to start a new game with a massive dlc and patch coming.

I've been watching Ludi et Historia for a while now and it's definitely improved my gameplay.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I usually see the same thing. It's the one thing that makes me think the AI goes out of the way to rival the player.

In particular I notice it starting as Muscovy. Which is hella strange.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

florryworry on twitch is the only one i watch anymore. budget monk is supposed to be good too. dunno what arumba is up to, he had a big fight with paradox or something

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Playing as Provence.

Dear Burgundy, stop attacking the HRE you are bad at coordinating your PU armies and it is a huge drain on my manpower and money when we get repeatedly mauled by Austria and friends. Just peace out with a province or two, you don't need to try and fully occupy Austria every single war.

Also die please, so I can inherit you :getin:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In my Byzantium game there are like 7 total countries left as Orthodox: myself, my vassals/PUs: Imereti, Albania, Croatia, Cyprus and Montferrat and finally Russia, although I might be missing a couple of OPMs that are surrounded by Russia.

Russia is currently the defender of the faith, my rival and in a coalition against me. I should probably become the defender of the faith, but I find the current situation amusing as hell.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Real! https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/study/programmes/all-programmes/bachelor-history/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheFlyingLlama posted:

honestly forts...mostly work? It's just that, unlike most glitches that the player can easily exploit themselves, almost every time you notice a fort fuckup it looks like the AI is cheating.

My favorite is how the AI seiging your forts sometimes causes ZoC to apply in your home territory, and this is never the case for the AI.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:lol:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Real chat: pdox games have made me aware of more weird history to go read about than uni did.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rynoto posted:

Real chat: pdox games have made me aware of more weird history to go read about than uni did.

Yeah I've definitely learned more history because of Paradox games than I ever did in school just because i'll see something happen and then i'll go look it up to see what actually happened.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Are there any YouTubers this thread would recommend? I want my EU4 fix but am in that zone where I don't want to start a new game with a massive dlc and patch coming.

I've been watching Ludi et Historia for a while now and it's definitely improved my gameplay.

Watch all of a rumbas stuff from like 3-4 years ago until today so you can see the total destruction if a human being.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

TMMadman posted:

Yeah I've definitely learned more history because of Paradox games than I ever did in school just because i'll see something happen and then i'll go look it up to see what actually happened.

The india stuff in game led me to the travel writings of Niccolo de' Conti in the mid-1400s which I'd highly suggest if you're into that sort of stuff. Like stepping through a time machine.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

...is she playing as Athens

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Obviously she decided to go for the Academical achievement as it was thematic for the uni shoot.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

forts don't actually have a million exceptions to their logic, they are pretty simple. sea zones make people think they do though because the rules for where you can move after you disembark from a ship are very permissive. if it's adjacent to the sea zone you disembarked from, or adjacent to a province that is adjacent to that sea zone, you can always move there regardless of zone of control applied to the provinces in between. the army disembarked onto the starting province, and then queued up a move to the ending province. this worked because if they had disembarked onto hälsingland in the first place, they would have been able to move from there to any adjacent province.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fritz the Horse posted:

Playing as Provence.

Dear Burgundy, stop attacking the HRE you are bad at coordinating your PU armies and it is a huge drain on my manpower and money when we get repeatedly mauled by Austria and friends. Just peace out with a province or two, you don't need to try and fully occupy Austria every single war.

Also die please, so I can inherit you :getin:

Also playing as provence and out of diplo slots because holy poo poo all the PUs :eyepop: aragon, naples, Navarra, Lorraine and I could go for hungary too before my ally Austria nabs it.

Can you form Jerusalem then eat and reform France? I don't think either is an end game tag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That pic is clearly just the 1444 start, they just loaded up the game for the first time and took the photo, they’re not real gamers