Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
Made a little curly maple charcuterie board as a last minute Christmas gift. My first time making a wood gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As curly maple goes, that’s god drat twisted, wow. Like that’s almost burl-looking in places.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The ladies will dig it.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

Put up some floating shelves made of Tiger Wood flooring planks. I have less vertical stacked books now which is a good thing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TheGoonspiracist posted:

Put up some floating shelves made of Tiger Wood flooring planks. I have less vertical stacked books now which is a good thing.

How did you get into Tiger’s house?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I strongly suspect some of those paperbacks are load bearing, which is actually a cool idea, shelf brackets Hidden behind fake dust jackets...

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I just used some simple shelf brackets off of Amazon and put them into the studs. One book on the 2nd shelf down might be slightly structural, but just to keep the top shelf from bowing.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Cross-poastin' from the leather thread

Rotten Cookies posted:

Babby's first leather project: Making a koozie in the style of old hockey goalie blockers (a.k.a. waffleboards)

Stitching isn't entirely even since I just poked stitch holes individually with an awl but meh. There's white canvas-like fabric attached to the leather with spray adhesive. We'll see how long that lasts. For a first project I'm happy with how it came out, and the recipient seems to enjoy it, so it's all good.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Made a little curly maple charcuterie board as a last minute Christmas gift. My first time making a wood gift.

This is dope.

What's the handle wrap?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Trabant posted:

This is dope.

What's the handle wrap?

Some leather cord. Wrapping that on tight without any glue was one of the trickiest parts.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

bEatmstrJ posted:

Some leather cord. Wrapping that on tight without any glue was one of the trickiest parts.

Wrap it wet then put it in the sun to dry quick. It will shrink up and be extra tight.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Cross-poastin' from the leather thread

Ken Holland would be proud of that awesome koozie.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Bit of an upcycling project, found an empty clock case in a charity shop this year

Added some shelves in because more bookshelf space is always in

Finished it off with a nixie tube clock kit I got for Christmas. The colours behind the tubes cycle though i might just turn them off.

I've specifically avoided making any permanent changes to the clock case in case anyone wants to add a proper clock back in the future. I'm also tempted to run some warm LEDs down the door to light up the books at some point

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

freelop posted:

Bit of an upcycling project, found an empty clock case in a charity shop this year

Finished it off with a nixie tube clock kit I got for Christmas. The colours behind the tubes cycle though i might just turn them off.

I've specifically avoided making any permanent changes to the clock case in case anyone wants to add a proper clock back in the future. I'm also tempted to run some warm LEDs down the door to light up the books at some point

That's awesome! Great job!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

freelop posted:

Finished it off with a nixie tube clock kit I got for Christmas. The colours behind the tubes cycle though i might just turn them off. My

Oh man. Nice.

A few months ago my neighbors out put a intact but not working beautiful grandfather clock. I pass it on my bike, and go inside to tell my wife to help me get it.

I go out ten minutes and it's gone. Oh well.

A week later their next door neighbors have it out with their trash, but they smashed it on the ground with the rest of their trash. I was absolutely livid.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

a floor almost levelled.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
you missed a spot

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
probably.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

One fine morning months ago my wife said: "We should paint the ceiling in the upstairs guest bathroom. It's so yellow and ugly."

I'm unaware of how it happened, really, but this somehow turned into:

• We should paint the ceiling
  • We should paint the walls
  • We should fix all the lovely drywall patch jobs the previous owners made when they moved out
  • We should skim coat because the orange peel is ridiculous
  • Lets repaint the vanity cause I dont think that wood color really works in here
  • Lets change the light fixture
  • Lets change the tub and shower fixtures to match the new light fixture
  • Lets buy a mapp torch and learn to sweat pipe because the tub spigot that came with the new trim kit isn't a slip on
  • It wouldnt be that hard to rip out the linoleum, lets put in new flooring
  • Oh wow, there is water damage on the subfloor, lets fix that
  • The toilet flange is cracked, we should repair that too
  • While we have the toilet all broke down lets put in a bidet seat
  • The old towel bar and TP holder dont match, we should buy new ones
  • I guess we have to recaulk everything now
  • Those old baseboards look ugly now that the room looks good, lets replace those and all the other trim pieces too
  • I guess we have to recaulk the baseboards again now
  • Hey we should pull out the one piece tub so we can do a tile surround you have to stop seriously no im done

Here's what we were starting with, sorry for the bad picture, its from our home inspection when we bought the home earlier last year, this is still basically what it looked like although we had a different shower curtain.

"Lets paint the ceiling"

Water damage spotted, it wasn't horrible but enough rot that I felt it needed to be replaced.

New wood installed

Noticed the flange was cracked so put a metal flange thing underneath of it, problem solved. You can see the new flooring too.

Had to make a thingy to pull the planks when the pull bar couldnt fit under the door jam.

After some cleanup and some new decor, looks brand new even though we didn't really change all that much or spend a bunch of money.

Cost Breakdown:
  • $200 - shower trim kit
  • $100 - vanity faucet
  • $100 - flooring (two boxes)
  • $100 - light fixture
  • $75 - multi tool
  • $50 - torch and 1/2" tub spigot fitting
  • $50 - toilet flange, repair kit, tank to bowl hardware, waxless seal
  • $50 - random decor items from home goods
  • $20 - baseboard and shoe molding around vanity
  • $20 - flooring tools
  • $20 - shelf brackets
  • $10 - drywall repair stuff
  • $0 - we had paint, stain, and oak boards already

Was somewhere around $800. Probably could have done it for much less by choosing less expensive fixtures, not buying a multi tool or torch, etc. I haven't updated a room before so big thanks to all the youtube channels that cover topics like toilet repair, plumbing, flooring installs, how to caulk a thing and make it look good, etc etc. There were plenty of vids for just about everything I had to tackle.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 24, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

First Time Caller posted:

One fine morning months ago my wife said: "We should paint the ceiling in the upstairs guest bathroom. It's so yellow and ugly."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UZFI-8D5uA

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Your wife 100% planned all that. Gold star.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Nice work!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

• We should fix all the lovely drywall patch jobs the previous owners made when they moved out
  • Lets repaint the vanity cause I dont think that wood color really works in here
  • Lets buy a mapp torch and learn to sweat pipe because the tub spigot that came with the new trim kit isn't a slip on
  • Those old baseboards look ugly now that the room looks good, lets replace those and all the other trim pieces too
  • Hey we should pull out the one piece tub so we can do a tile surround you have to stop seriously no im done

Here's what we were starting with, sorry for the bad picture, its from our home inspection when we bought the home earlier last year, this is still basically what it looked like although we had a different shower curtain.

"Lets paint the ceiling"

Water damage spotted, it wasn't horrible but enough rot that I felt it needed to be replaced.

New wood installed

Noticed the flange was cracked so put a metal flange thing underneath of it, problem solved. You can see the new flooring too.

Had to make a thingy to pull the planks when the pull bar couldnt fit under the door jam.

After some cleanup and some new decor, looks brand new even though we didn't really change all that much or spend a bunch of money.

Cost Breakdown:
  • $200 - shower trim kit
  • $100 - vanity faucet
  • $100 - light fixture
  • $75 - multi tool
  • $20 - flooring tools
  • $20 - shelf brackets

Was somewhere around $800. Probably could have done it for much less by choosing less expensive fixtures, not buying a multi tool or torch, etc. I haven't updated a room before so big thanks to all the youtube channels that cover topics like toilet repair, plumbing, flooring installs, how to caulk a thing and make it look good, etc etc. There were plenty of vids for just about everything I had to tackle.

I'd call it $800 well spent. Looks great!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

"Lets paint the ceiling"

New wood installed

Cost Breakdown:
  • $200 - shower trim kit
  • $100 - vanity faucet
  • $100 - light fixture
  • $75 - multi tool
  • $20 - flooring tools
  • $20 - shelf brackets

man i hope my bathroom turns out half as good as that one. good job

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That really is a great renovation.

Also,

cakesmith handyman posted:

Your wife 100% planned all that. Gold star.
:hmmyes:

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

"Lets paint the ceiling"

New wood installed

Cost Breakdown:
  • $200 - shower trim kit
  • $100 - vanity faucet
  • $100 - light fixture
  • $75 - multi tool
  • $20 - flooring tools
  • $20 - shelf brackets

Nice work! I like it.

I remodeled a bathroom once. It both, turned out great, and didn't turn out great at all. Schrödinger's bathroom I guess. I think you had better success than I.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

I've been learning how to make cutting boards lately. I feel like making a cutting board will teach you just about everything you need to know about working with hardwood. Many lessons learned, often the hard way.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bEatmstrJ posted:

I've been learning how to make cutting boards lately. I feel like making a cutting board will teach you just about everything you need to know about working with hardwood. Many lessons learned, often the hard way.

That's a nice cutting board.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

bEatmstrJ posted:

Nice work! I like it.

I remodeled a bathroom once. It both, turned out great, and didn't turn out great at all. Schrödinger's bathroom I guess. I think you had better success than I.

Post your toilet!

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

Post your toilet!

k

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
My parents are building a brick oven in their backyard so I made them a pizza peel. Walnut and maple, finished with mineral oil and a DIY paste of walnut oil and beeswax (my dad also keeps bees in said backyard).

I have to admit I made it a bit too heavy for actual use, but I suspect this will be a purely decorative piece for them anyway.

Bonus: my dusty-rear end shelves and desk speakers :sweatdrop:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Two projects finished around the same time means two posts in a row!

Lady of the house condo wanted a place to grow herbs so I made her a backboard (pine frame + plywood) and some simple pine shelves supported by some cast iron brackets I got off Amazon:

Excuse the... anti-MySpace angle -- I couldn't find a better way to capture it without casting a shadow.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Trabant posted:

My parents are building a brick oven in their backyard so I made them a pizza peel. Walnut and maple, finished with mineral oil and a DIY paste of walnut oil and beeswax (my dad also keeps bees in said backyard).

I have to admit I made it a bit too heavy for actual use, but I suspect this will be a purely decorative piece for them anyway.

Bonus: my dusty-rear end shelves and desk speakers :sweatdrop:

That's really pretty!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'll bite.

Came back from a summer away last year to find my yard entirely dead, I had to get a few cubic yards of dirt and reseed the entire thing.

This year, I decided to finish it up, and I got ahold of a swing set, a new shed, and redid the entire back:

All the grass that came in last year that the shed covered, I dug up into sod and used to fill in the dead spots that didn't grow too well. It all came out pretty well.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Any kind of yardwork is (to me) uniformly backbreaking, so kudos on the great work and sorry for your spine and knees!

Vim Fuego posted:

That's really pretty!
:tipshat:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
If you follow the woodworking thread you've already seen this and I was thinking about doing a full thread on how I made it but I don't think I will ever get around to it.

As part of the renovations to our garbage house that we ripped everything out of we had to redo the lounge as it had this awfully done and frankly dangerous (As we discovered when taking it down) archway in the middle.

The room was far too big for us to use it as it was and my wife wanted to divide it up so she could have an office/work room for her sewing. A basic dividing wall turned into built in bookcases and then after a few revisions turned into this:

Its too big to fit into shot in one go so I have a Panorama from before it got filled with stuff:

Made from Ash veneered MDF and effectively an entire stud wall to support it.

As I was designing this my wife mentioned that since she was little she'd always dreamed about having a secret room. So instead of a normal door for a normal house I made her this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng9wik4X_8g

Works by using an electromagnet security lock and a simple push switch to interrupt the power. The locking mechanism was my biggest headache with the design of this because from the start it had to be operated by a book, and any other method left a risk of the latch breaking and the room being stuck closed. With this any failure in the lock itself means it unlocks and power can be turned off from both sides to deal with issues with the switches.

I really like this and I am very pleased with it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

serious gaylord posted:

If you follow the woodworking thread you've already seen this and I was thinking about doing a full thread on how I made it but I don't think I will ever get around to it.

As part of the renovations to our garbage house that we ripped everything out of we had to redo the lounge as it had this awfully done and frankly dangerous (As we discovered when taking it down) archway in the middle.

That’s really nice. Are you keeping the black floor tile mastic?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

serious gaylord posted:

I really like this and I am very pleased with it.

You really should be, it came out fantastic.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Oh man, hidden doors require some engineering. I did one and it took some searching before I found the right hinges:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077MHDYPK/

They sit in the sill plate and the header above and below the door, letting it open and close without anything exposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Loving the secret door. That's awesome!

My boss gave me a Raspberry Pi, so apparently I had to go out of my way to design and build an arcade cabinet so I could use it. Fun project.

Here's what I came up with: