Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

I get psychotic upon coming to after anesthesia. Last time I was convinced I was a spy captured by the KGB and was trying to break off a piece of the bed to beat the nurse to death with so I could make my escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The nurses with the thickest skin are PACU nurses. Because while going under might be relatively effortless, the brain gets *twiggy as gently caress* when you come out of it. The first thing you want when you come out of anesthesia is to 1) sit up, and 2) drink water, neither of which are a good idea for very good reasons, especially if you've just had specific surgeries where #1 *really* isn't a good idea. Your brain is also still very out of order and your "don't do/say that" filter is out to a long lunch.

Case in point: ^^^^^^

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 24, 2021

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I've never been under general anesthesia but I have a red beard and I'm worried that whole red hair / anathesia resistance thing will hit me. My plan has always been to grow out my beard if I ever need to go under. Now that I'm middle aged and only getting older I'm like okay, two part plan 1) beard and 2) just for men

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Best Friends posted:

I've never been under general anesthesia but I have a red beard and I'm worried that whole red hair / anathesia resistance thing will hit me. My plan has always been to grow out my beard if I ever need to go under. Now that I'm middle aged and only getting older I'm like okay, two part plan 1) beard and 2) just for men

Wait... what?

I just had to look that up, it is actually real.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

You generally have time to say something to the anesthesiologist before he/she starts pushing meds.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1364671816921473024?s=20

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

But did you fart?

Natty Ninefingers posted:

He almost assuredly did.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

wins32767 posted:

I get psychotic upon coming to after anesthesia. Last time I was convinced I was a spy captured by the KGB and was trying to break off a piece of the bed to beat the nurse to death with so I could make my escape.

I thought my left clavicle was snapping in half and had to get morphine.

.....Its not wrong?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SquirrelyPSU posted:

.....Its not wrong?

lol I just noticed that.

I'm very excited for Haaland though, Trump's DOI did a tremendous amount of damage and Haaland is probably one of the best, most progressive choices Biden could have made to fix it. Doesn't hurt either that it's a historic and incredibly important nomination for natives in our country.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

wins32767 posted:

When I got my wisdom teeth out, I didn't remember a single thing, even though I don't think it was a full-blown knockout. Apparently I was a real bastard, trying multiple times to remove the line from my own hand and fighting the folks a bit.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

When I had my ACL reconstruction/meniscectomy a number of years ago, my last sensation after they gave me the general anesthesia juice was feeling it travel up my veins, and then my last thought was “Whoa, this is weird. Is this what dying feels like? AW CRA-“

Next thing I know I’m awake in the recovery ward and shivering violently, which was apparently my body reacting to the trauma of the knee surgery even if I couldn’t feel it. A shot of Dilaudid and I was off to see the wizard again!

I don’t like being put under and the opiate nightmare/night terror that I had two weeks later scared me off of Vicodin and Percocet for good. Good thing I do nice safe activities that don’t carry a high risk of injury like mountain biking!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

maffew buildings posted:

Do we believe this woman? Because I believed Biden's accuser and was told promptly by a liberal woman actually she has a history of lying and this is for attention. So I don't want to get it wrong again.

Ideally one takes the allegation seriously regardless. Treating the allegation & investigation seriously doesn't have to involve believing one thing or the other up front.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I got very upset when I came out of anesthesia and the nurse called me 'terrifying'. I did go from unconscious to awake with no noises and joined in the convo, so to her (and my wife, who agreed I was accidentally scary) I went from dead to being a dick with nothing in between.

I heard them say something about 'no water activities', and I opened my eyes with the first words out of my mouth being, "I'll scuba if I want. You're not my doctor."

For the next few hours, I kept telling my wife the nurse hurt my feelings, and that I'm not scary. (Note- I am in fact, unintentionally scary, as has been relayed to me by numerous people. But I'm like a teddy bear.)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/SebGorka/status/1364550508053204993?s=20

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lmao $GME is up 300% in the last two hours nothing is real

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I've got two relatives down my mothers' side that went into hypothermia while under anesthesia, one died from it, the other had to be revived twice before the dental surgeon stopped trying to pull the tooth. He's dead now too, heart failure, but managed to park his cherry Monte Carlo before croaking.

So yeah, I'll probably be awake for anything not major surgery. I was awake for my wisdom teeth pull, just local and anti-inflammatories.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

loving lol

https://twitter.com/SebGorka/status/1364616899867389955

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I was awake for my wisdom teeth pull, just local and anti-inflammatories.

*crack* *crack*

the sound was something

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There's been some fascinating research in to anesthesia over the last decade or two and how things work/don't work. Current best guess from what I've read is that the brain in general kind of operates on, call it a "high frequency", of all the individual brain components chattering back and forth at each other constantly to create one larger "whole" system and anesthesia slows stuff down to "low frequency" operating mode where all the components are still talking but by the time it reaches the destination everything else just kinda goes, "umm, wtf is that who are you want do you want me to do with this?" Research has been heading in the direction of thinking that while the head shed is totally empty when you're under so the signals aren't reaching any coherent central point, the rest of the nervous system is still experiencing trauma such as "oh gently caress my chest has been sliced open, my ribs cracked and ratcheted in to a new position and now my heart just stopped" and that this may be causing problems in of itself.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We have a no-poo poo Anesthesiologist here, but he never posts. He’s an extremely good and cool dude.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I sure hope you aren't surprised though I doubt you are

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Why does anyone give a poo poo about Tiger Woods?

Edit - content

https://twitter.com/PlainSite/status/1363988542485983236

Abongination fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 25, 2021

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Abongination posted:

Why does anyone give a poo poo about Tiger Woods?

Generational talent at a walk well wasted

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Well no, but neither is anyone in the GOP for at least forty years, and this is an odd tine to bring it up.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

So help me if that thing doesn’t quack when you honk the horn...

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I'm watching newshour and Jon Tester, D-MT is making the case for $15/hr, but just pushed down the road to some sweet spot in time that benefits everyone because small businesses, you see.

I make $14 an hour and every day the small business that employs me gets to take back $7 for my break and we have all agreed to call it "lunch" and that it is for my benefit

But yeah yeah sure we'll both be better off if the minimum wage bump comes like ten years from now

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

There's been some fascinating research in to anesthesia over the last decade or two and how things work/don't work. Current best guess from what I've read is that the brain in general kind of operates on, call it a "high frequency", of all the individual brain components chattering back and forth at each other constantly to create one larger "whole" system and anesthesia slows stuff down to "low frequency" operating mode where all the components are still talking but by the time it reaches the destination everything else just kinda goes, "umm, wtf is that who are you want do you want me to do with this?" Research has been heading in the direction of thinking that while the head shed is totally empty when you're under so the signals aren't reaching any coherent central point, the rest of the nervous system is still experiencing trauma such as "oh gently caress my chest has been sliced open, my ribs cracked and ratcheted in to a new position and now my heart just stopped" and that this may be causing problems in of itself.

This is kinda why I elected for general over twilight for my wisdoms. I had an amazing post-surgery experience, never took more than two of my Vicodin and was (cautiously) eating solid food 36 hours later. Even if I can't *consciously* remember four teeth being ripped from my mouth, pretty sure my subconscious would.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I came to fighting and yelling “they’re all dead” apparently.

My mom assumed it was the smell of the cauterization being too much like burning bodies. It prob triggered something.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Found a bunch of slides and trying to go through and figure out which ones are worth spending the money on.

First try in the ghetto rig, sometime early 60s Korea:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Not an immediately-post-anesthesia experience, but had a fun time a couple days after a major surgery with general anesthesia. I was still hopped up on some powerful meds and woke one morning to find I was standing upright on a blood-splattered floor, having removed one of my IVs. On top of that was a rapidly fading delusion that I was the protagonist in L. Ron Hubbard's "Mission: Earth" series and urgently needed to pursue the antagonist (which I announced loudly). Hooboy did that all freak some people out.

On the plus side, easily the most painless IV removal I've ever had. Didn't feel it coming out and zero irritation afterwards.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
I was at a colonoscopy clinic in Brazil and I guess as I was being wheeled out, I looked at the guy being wheeled in - and yelled out in Portuguese "yo bro - good luck"

Apparently the nurse and my wife thought that was hilarious.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It really just seemed polite you know?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I mean, as much as I don't want LockMart to get more money either, the F-21 is still a thing: https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/products/f-21.html

This will likely cost more than an F-35A on a per-airframe basis.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

But what do we need it for? Just because we can invent space lasers that will start fires in California, that doesn’t mean we should.

Ok, setting aside the "lol the US loves war" stuff, if we actually want the capability to gain and maintain air superiority against anything CLOSE to a peer adversary, hell, anyone who can afford to buy toys built after 1991 from near-peer adversaries, you have to be able to bomb the gently caress out of those toys. And we have eighteen B-2s, and a fuckton of fighter-bombers designed at the tail end of the Vietnam War when the SA-2 was the one to worry about. The F-22 is how you push the enemy fighters out of the way, the F-35 is how you gently caress poo poo up on the ground so you can do things like provide CAS or CASevac or stop the enemy from dropping bombs on our dudes. No American has died to an enemy air strike since April 1953 and that's not an accident. It's because seventy years ago we decided we were going to throw money at this problem instead of just feeding the troops into a 3-dimensional meat grinder.

I don't know who she is, but I completely agree with her.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 25, 2021

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Godholio posted:

No American has died to an enemy air strike since April 1953 and that's not an accident. It's because seventy years ago we decided we were going to throw money at this problem instead of just feeding the troops into a 3-dimensional meat grinder.

I mean, some of it is who we've been fighting, no? If the balloon went up in 1983, I'm pretty sure that would have no longer been true well before the canned sunshine got opened.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

wins32767 posted:

I mean, some of it is who we've been fighting, no? If the balloon went up in 1983, I'm pretty sure that would have no longer been true well before the canned sunshine got opened.

Recently, but we're talking some of Korea, all of Vietnam, Desert Storm, and the Balkans. It's not ALL Afghanistan.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Godholio posted:

Recently, but we're talking some of Korea, all of Vietnam, Desert Storm, and the Balkans. It's not ALL Afghanistan.

Sure, but Iraq is the only opponent in that list that had a substantial number of planes (ex. the VVS in Korea which had some pretty tight restrictions on usage). Like, North Vietnam had around 100 for most of the war. I'd argue for anyone but Iraq, we'd have had a substantially similar outcome with a much smaller air force.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
That's a interesting statistic. So did op forces in Korea and Vietnam only use air forces for intercept?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/thehoffather/status/1364707538990632961?s=19