Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm one of those weird personalities (ha!), where I run at 125% and don't realize it until it's over and I crash. I'm in crash mode right now. As soon as that power came on, I had enough adrenaline left to re-wire all the neighbors wells (at 10PM at night...) to return them to normal, and then I slept. I haven't left the couch since. I'm exhausted. My genset was the only one large enough to run the neighbors wells. So for 10 days I lugged this 220lb beast over to the 4 neighbors without power, pigtailed/hardwired their wells, and ran them for a few hours to allow them to wash dishes/flush/fill buckets+tubs. We burnt at least 100 gallons of fuel, 100LB of propane, and a cord of firewood. We were fine, we had the generator, our wood stove for heat and cooking, and a hell of a selection of Makita lights/USB chargers/skillsaws/chainsaw/ect - which meant even my 13yr old could sit on his switch without major interruption. It was the elderly neighbors with nothing during 30F weather that kept me occupied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
And as a side note, nothing has me more upset than the Porsche and the F250. We knew eventually these trees would cause damage, but I wish I had finished these projects or moved them. Oh well. It's all fixable, just time and money I don't have.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

the spyder posted:

And as a side note, nothing has me more upset than the Porsche and the F250. We knew eventually these trees would cause damage, but I wish I had finished these projects or moved them. Oh well. It's all fixable, just time and money I don't have.

Sorry man. I saw the picture of the 911, and thought the worst. It doesn't look that bad, but photos don't do it justice. Hopefully insurance isn't a dick about it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm very sad (both for and with you) about the 911, but I hope it can be saved. I'm glad the Z seems to have escaped major harm, however.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Echoing the "im glad you're all okay" sentiments. God drat that looks rough.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that means you will have to send that 911 off to singer

glad you're ok

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

the spyder posted:

I didn't know you had a 911 project. I'm sorry about the damage but everything can be fixed and you can either make it better than before or give it a cool story to carry with it.

I think this damage means that you have to bump the 911 up the project queue right now and start sorting it out...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wow I knew your area got hit but that's a lot of damage. You're a mad man lugging that generator all over while cleaning up and everything else, get some sleep and take care of yourself.

Porsche damage just means you can go all in on track rat and not worry about making it pretty right?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
poo poo...

Ice storms are the worst, and Georgia is due for another, it's been about 15 years...

Glad you were prepared and safe enough, hope the Porsche is okay enough to save.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ice storms are the fuckin worst. I spent all last week in Virgina helping with their recovery.

If you know any linemen, it's a pretty common thing I've noticed that they tend to keep trees away from anything of value on their property. Dealing with fallen trees/limbs daily will do that. Glad you made it though it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oof, dang. I see the new "skylight" you were talking about. Glad no one was hurt, and you were in a position to help yourself and your neighbors.
I echo the hope that your insurance isn't going to be a jerk.
I'm glad the predicted ice storm down here in TX petered out before it hit my area. That would have made the poo poo just that much deeper in an area without poo poo-shovels. I've got a big old generator en route so I don't get a repeat of this year, myself.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
At the end of the day, no one was hurt. None of the Mazda's were hurt, expect a minor ding on the Miata. The buildings can and will be fixed, with time and money. Nothing was lost, just a week of PTO. And I now have a reason to paint the Porsche....

the spyder fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 25, 2021

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

At the end of the day, no one was hurt. None of the Mazda's were hurt, expect a minor ding on the Miata. The buildings can and will be fixed, with time and money. Nothing was lost, just a week of PTO. And I now have a reason to paint the Porsche....

So which of the two greatest Mazda paint colours is it going to be for the 911? Montego Blue or Competition Yellow Mica?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mariner Blue :colbert:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

These are all funny ways to spell "Velocity Red Mica".

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

These are all funny ways to spell "Velocity Red Mica".

Not emptyquoting :sun:

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

y’all are misspelling Java Pearl Black with bronze wheels.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Met with insurance today, as expected the vehicles are not covered. Who would keep comprehensive on project cars that sit, I have no idea. I also wrongly operated under the assumption that our home owners would cover them. I'll be looking for some form of supplemental insurance, or indoor storage. As far as the buildings go, I have yet to see the final report. I have a feeling it will be short of what is required... ugh. Good news, the adjuster is great and is trying to help us balance getting the right amount for each repair vs triggering a review by underwriting. The best way for me to think about it is we should put more money into property maintenance.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 25, 2021

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

the spyder posted:

Met with insurance today, as expected the vehicles are not covered. Who would keep comprehensive on project cars that sit, I have no idea. I also wrongly operated under the assumption that our home owners would cover them. I'll be looking for some form of supplemental insurance, or indoor storage. As far as the buildings go, I have yet to see the final report. I have a feeling it will be short of what is required... ugh. Good news, the adjuster is great and is trying to help us balance getting the right amount for each repair vs triggering a review by underwriting. The best way for me to think about it is we should put more money into property maintenance.

I do keep comprehensive on my non-running project cars, it's pretty cheap. The insurance companies just hate it when you put them on drivers insurance and back onto storage insurance all the time since they gotta do some paperwork that costs money.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I also have insurance on 2 of my 3 project cars that are not on the road too. It doesn't cost much here if you put a really low mileage allowance on them.
Covers them against getting stolen too

The 3rd one only isn't insured as it's current value is very low and it is blocked in so chances of theft are minimal.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My summer/track car has comprehensive, though it spends 7-8 months of the year parked in the garage...

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That blows, but yeah you're not the first guy to learn that the hard way. Basically you suffer one natural disaster or vandalism incident and then get covered from then on. My 122 has had full comp and collision for the last 6 years with the engine out because it's only around $15 a month and I'm too lazy to switch it to storage to save like $5 a month.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I should clarify, all the FD’s have full comp year round. But with the truck and Porsche, until they drive I just haven’t even considered covering them. Lesson learned.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Made a mad dash last night to re-install the oil pan and drive this to the second C+C in... 16 months? Covid and all...

The water pump has 100% failed and it's still puking oil. Guessing rear main seal. Crap.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm not sure what got into me, but here's the summary of my weekend:

Prior to C+C I decided a quick bath was in order.

In the shop to install the oil pan.

For some reason I really wanted to clean the wheels. I quickly did a scrub down, on just the front wheels while on the lift. They looked better but needed more work.

So after C+C, car went back on the lift and the wheels came off. No idea where this OCD splurge came from, but drat.

Clean inside and out!

Painted the center caps.

And then went 100% overkill and polished the lug nuts.

And then ceramic coated the wheels...

Not bad.

I even painted the brake rotors/hub section, don't look too close.

After the FD was deemed a larger project than I wanted to tackle, the MSM got a bath.

The MSM is now name MAZDA, per the new owner. I'm screwed when she's old enough to drive.

With that done, I decided the F150 needed a bath. Now I had forgot a friend had brought over some products to try, so I told myself I'd just try a panel. 3 hours later...

This truck has 365k miles and is 24 years old. It looks great for the age and maybe it will hit 500k. I'll tell ya, that did make me feel great. This truck deserves better care than I give it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
On todays adventure in Rotary Land...

During my lunch break I headed to the shop to try the same method I used on the truck on the CYM. This time sticking to just one panel.

After the polish I knew something was off. It felt like sand paper. I should have clay bar'd it first. My phone cam can barely pick up the thousands of micro drops of what I assume is house paint overspray.

Enhance...

One rub down with a medium car bar later and quick polish. Glossy smooth. I like it.

I was hoping this would improve the fading/haze seen over the car, but that's going to require a respray. $$$$$

Then the sun set.

And I got really, really motivated.

Failed rear main seal :( - took the 10k mile clutch with it. Everything is soaked in oil. Replacement is on the way.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 3, 2021

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Oh that's a bummer.

The wheels look amazing though.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Clutch kit is on the way, they estimated 1 week shipping no matter how much I paid for 2 day/3 day, so ground it is. Now to degrease everything.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Jumping back in time here a bit, during the ice storm my neighbors generator would not start. Turns out in 15yrs of owning the house, he never tested/maintained it... PO never turned off the fuel. You can see where this was going. After I got the fuel flowing, the pull start snapped after the 2nd pull. Thankfully it was a easy rewind and it runs great.

Aerospace 303 Graphene update: Looking good!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Saturday update:
Loaded everything up I wanted to wash at Robs. His parts washer makes quick work of what would take me hours otherwise.

I decided to "wash" the old clutch for fun to see how much oil/friction material came off. (The clutch disc will not be reused, PP is still good and I'll save it for another project.)

Once at Robs we quickly broke down the trans for cleaning/inspection. Fluid was clean, overall the trans was in great shape and reflected the low miles. Even the 5th gear syncro was in good shape. We proactively replaced it with an upgraded syncro.

I left a few of the under trays for longer wash cycles, the undercoating someone applied to the PLASTICS was peeling off more and more with every wash cycle.
The results were great.

The new OEM clutch was waiting for me when I got home, perfect timing.

Next up installing the transmission removing the engine! Oh boy...

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 7, 2021

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Engine out: Success!

Found a random supplier offering 3,000 M6 nuts for $86. I didn't believe them, so I ordered a box. This is amazing. 27lb of Yellow Zinc goodness.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

the spyder posted:

Found a random supplier offering 3,000 M6 nuts for $86. I didn't believe them, so I ordered a box. This is amazing. 27lb of Yellow Zinc goodness.

Is this the FD version of a Scrooge McDuck cosplay?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I'm up to date on this since October of 2020... ready for more. :D

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

the spyder posted:

That's tempting. Do they have a deal for, say 1,000 or 500? Not sure I would use 3,000 in my lifetime...
Also reminds me that I need to fire up my plating setup and replate all the hardware for my underhood rebuild of my '79 RX-7, once it stays warm for a bit.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hell if they offer different sizes split them up. I'd buy a box of m8 and trade.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I’m doing a ton of fastener research. Finding M8 JIS small head flange nuts/bolts in yellow zinc without paying belmetric prices is turning out to be very difficult. Then you get into indented/non indebted heads and serrated or non. Hoping to put some kits together.

Edit: 100% eating my words. Just found a supplier with everything I’m after. Wow. I’ve searched for days over the last few years and now someone carries exactly what I’m after.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 11, 2021

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That is nuts.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

the spyder posted:

I’m doing a ton of fastener research. Finding M8 JIS small head flange nuts/bolts in yellow zinc without paying belmetric prices is turning out to be very difficult. Then you get into indented/non indebted heads and serrated or non. Hoping to put some kits together.

Edit: 100% eating my words. Just found a supplier with everything I’m after. Wow. I’ve searched for days over the last few years and now someone carries exactly what I’m after.
Care to share? Sharing is caring.

LloydDobler posted:

That is nuts.

:v:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
First modification I did on my red FD was put in a new syncro for the 5th gear because I drove it from Kansas to California in 4th gear with Pr0kjayhawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Fastener update pending a response from two vendors. My initial review of that vendor was incomplete- there is no single vendor. Basically, vendor A sells DIN fasteners in the correct JIS M6 standard. Vendor B sells JIS small head fasteners in multiple configurations, but mainly serrated? Vendor C? is who I bought the insane number of M6 nuts from and now is reporting OOS. This is fun... I may go back to a fourth vendor, who carries everything, just not Yellow Zinc coated and pay a local plater to run ~10k fasteners through. This is the most expensive option.