Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The CIA sent recruiters to my grad program's job fair and I kind of regret not making a huge scene calling them murderers and scum like some kind of cartoon, but I was too afraid that I would be blacklisted and never find a job if someone saw me do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah it should have been shorter. maybe have the teens come in with him as part of the "sacrifice" wave. i am a sucker for the "You're Locked In Here With ME" trope so i dont dislike it like RLM does. but it pads itself way too loving long.

Honestly, I feel like they should have just cut the teenagers all together. Just make it a short 30 minute montage of Nic Cage, animatronics murderer and energy drink addict.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The CIA sent recruiters to my grad program's job fair and I kind of regret not making a huge scene calling them murderers and scum like some kind of cartoon, but I was too afraid that I would be blacklisted and never find a job if someone saw me do that.

Good job on not owning yourself, I guess?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

So, a blast from the internet past crossed my youtube suggestions today: Mike Tornabene (the dude who played Dom Mazzetti) just put out a nearly-two-years-late episode of his former car show, GNARPM. The episode was supposed to be a journey on minibikes across Iceland, but him and his filming partner got so drunk while filming that a significant amount of the footage was unusable so the episode is kind of a review of how they failed. Like a lot of Tornabene's content, it's approaching self-awareness but not quite making it all the way there. Like, the drinking on display is definitely past the point of college-bro fun and into "there's a problem here".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-slhH2osQQM

Given that Tornabene has basically retired from youtube to focus on his clothing company, this could very well be the last thing we ever see from him. I definitely remember my friends and I falling apart laughing at the old Dom videos, and it's kind of weird to think that this is where that era ends.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah it should have been shorter. maybe have the teens come in with him as part of the "sacrifice" wave. i am a sucker for the "You're Locked In Here With ME" trope so i dont dislike it like RLM does. but it pads itself way too loving long.

Agree with this, felt like the script really needed another pass. They really should have went full Riddick with Cage's character, an unpredictable element that the rest of them can't fully trust. Like RLM mention, a very Bruce Cambell-y character. A very second half of Evil Dead 2 kinda role.

But it just doesn't have the right self-awareness. It's way too smarmy that they got Nic Cage and they leaned into him as the meme he's become rather than his weirdo strengths. We'll likely see more films of the like with Keanu Reaves down the line now he's become reddit's favourite.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

It's weird how there are people out there who only get upset about soulless corporate products dominating film and controlling the culture when it's a black person or a woman in the movie. Also in both cases, for corporate Marvel productions, both Black Panther and that Spiderman movie were pretty distinct and had a lot more personality than typically filters into those sorts of movies.

Bravest of the Lamps, the originating subject of this post, regardless of the merit of his ban, absolutely did not only get upset about soulless corporate products dominating film and controlling the culture when it's a black person or a woman.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
he was often upset, and by many things

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
White people who've been represented in Hollywood forever chastising POC for getting about representation Is so loving annoying. Were not blind to most of it being pandering... you know like every loving white, straight cis thing before it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Archer666 posted:

Honestly, I feel like they should have just cut the teenagers all together. Just make it a short 30 minute montage of Nic Cage, animatronics murderer and energy drink addict.

Good job on not owning yourself, I guess?

idk. i mean i think its sorta like the new doom games. you need some voices to explain whats going on to some degree even if freddy slayer doesn't give a poo poo. so they needed like the girl and maybe like 2 other people outside the townie leaders. i think the issue is it feels like two b-movies jammed together and it doesn't gel well.

SteelMentor posted:

Agree with this, felt like the script really needed another pass. They really should have went full Riddick with Cage's character, an unpredictable element that the rest of them can't fully trust. Like RLM mention, a very Bruce Cambell-y character. A very second half of Evil Dead 2 kinda role.

But it just doesn't have the right self-awareness. It's way too smarmy that they got Nic Cage and they leaned into him as the meme he's become rather than his weirdo strengths. We'll likely see more films of the like with Keanu Reaves down the line now he's become reddit's favourite.

like i like the core concept and i like the doom slayer element because lol. my draft lovely small town that used to thrive in the 80s/90s has some big pizza party place. place suffers FNAF type poo poo. gets closed, maybe the things break out and start killing people and poo poo head mayor decides its better to give the monsters people to kill instead of "killing the good christian folk of this humble town" or some poo poo. you could even bring some "sundown town" vibes into if you want to get controversial. anyway hero(gender/race dont matter) and maybe a couple other randos (maybe the hero is a hitch hiker they picked up) who are unrelated spike stripped. etc. they end up taking a similar deal or some poo poo. starts off normal but they start picking people off eventual hero starts going doom slayer second half. also the animatronics would be more robotic and stop motion looking than dudes in suits. lot more uncanny valley poo poo.

we just had boring corpo jobs at hours.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sarcopenia posted:

White people who've been represented in Hollywood forever chastising POC for getting about representation Is so loving annoying. Were not blind to most of it being pandering... you know like every loving white, straight cis thing before it.

One thing that tickles me a little is when people get super, super mad about films making blatant plays to the chinese audience but never even blink when, say, a movie has gracious american military propaganda smacked right in the middle of it.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

The only big play I remember for the Chinese audience was in Dr. Strange - the switch from away from the Tibetian Ancient One. I didn't get the switch to Celtic, besides racisim, as I am not sure why the Ancient One couldn't be literarly any other asian ethnicity tho.

And we all know how the MCU loves it's military propoganda, though it wasn't in Dr. Strange IIRC.

I don't see very many movies tho.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think they made the Ancient One non Asian due to the original kind of being a stereotype.

Plus China has pretty mixed relations with most of Asia.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, it was just in some random interview, but I remember them saying that they basically just wanted to run as far away from the problematic elements of the character as possible. They thought they were clever going with Celtic but then regretted it when Asian fans mentioned that the whitewashing hurt too and they'd have rather just have the character de-racismed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I am passing on a request. Does anyone know of any good videos that go into:

The Fairy Odd Parents
Jimmy Neutron, especially concerning behind the scenes drama

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Schwarzwald posted:

The Fairy Odd Parents

there was behind the scenes drama? i watched some of that show on youtube again and its aged better than i thought it would.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, it was just in some random interview, but I remember them saying that they basically just wanted to run as far away from the problematic elements of the character as possible. They thought they were clever going with Celtic but then regretted it when Asian fans mentioned that the whitewashing hurt too and they'd have rather just have the character de-racismed.

yeah. i think they were sorta afraid of an iron fist repeat or some poo poo.

Twincityhacker posted:

The only big play I remember for the Chinese audience was in Dr. Strange - the switch from away from the Tibetian Ancient One. I didn't get the switch to Celtic, besides racisim, as I am not sure why the Ancient One couldn't be literarly any other asian ethnicity tho.

And we all know how the MCU loves it's military propoganda, though it wasn't in Dr. Strange IIRC.

I don't see very many movies tho.

so what are the exact rules with China and having magic and poo poo in your film. i know you can't do ghosts and stuff but i am curious if they can bring mephisto and more magic poo poo since its clear they are doing that now with wandavision

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

there was behind the scenes drama? i watched some of that show on youtube again and its aged better than i thought it would.

the only thing I can think of is the reason the show died in the first place was the animation studio having to shut down after the colossal failure of The Ant Bully

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Non-Tibetan Ancient One was 100% as not to get the PRC's undies in a knot, no matter their excuse.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Schwarzwald posted:

The Fairy Odd Parents
I'm sure in 2023 Pop Arena will get to it with Nick Knacks :v:

Some PBS stuff

Soundfield on Afrobeat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryTTHmUYc2o

Eons on the Genes we've lost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vc2bM2aQsw

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dapper_Swindler posted:

there was behind the scenes drama?

I have no idea, myself. :shrug:

Someone I linked a Defunctland Video with seemed to think there was and asked me if I knew any videos on it. I didn't, but I figured if such a video existed someone here would know.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

Non-Tibetan Ancient One was 100% as not to get the PRC's undies in a knot, no matter their excuse.

that's not how the PRC's censorship stuff works, the 'Three T's' are 90% a myth done by the loving New York Review of Books whining.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Tibet, Taiwan, and...?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Tiananmen Square

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Tiananmen Square

Silly me. I was locked into trying to think of another country. Ta.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You know there is 0 reason you can't just change any given American based hero in marvel black or latino with 0 need to change anything else about them.

sexpig by night posted:

that's not how the PRC's censorship stuff works, the 'Three T's' are 90% a myth done by the loving New York Review of Books whining.
Censored probably not directly, but having issues getting advertising or local distribution deals. Same way criticising the US military ain't against the law but it sure does hurt your ability to get stuff paid for by the gov't or other inherently conservative institutions.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Terrible Opinions posted:

Censored probably not directly, but having issues getting advertising or local distribution deals. Same way criticising the US military ain't against the law but it sure does hurt your ability to get stuff paid for by the gov't or other inherently conservative institutions.

Yeah, I wasn't even talking about any official crap, it doesn't need to be on paper to know the official thought about tibet and tibetans with china, it's not like they've slowed down or softened on their desire to bleach tibet for any reason possible.

"From May to July 2019, the authorities expelled thousands of Buddhist monks and nuns from the Yachen Gar monastery in Sichuan, and their dwellings demolished, according to Xi. Those without residence status in Sichuan were deported to their home provinces, where they were reportedly detained for reeducation. Meanwhile, Tibetan Autonomous Region leaders called for an intensification of “Sinicization” policies to “strengthen the management of monasteries,” subjecting monastic populations to “legal” exams to test their competence in political reeducation, and requiring senior religious figures to endorse state policies on the selection of the next Dalai Lama."

"When mass demolitions and expulsions happened at Larung Gar and Yachen Gar, the two world-famous Buddhist institutes also in the Tibetan area of Kham, footage emerged of nuns being herded into buses, weeping, in some cases collapsing in distress at being severed from their religious teachers and monastic life."

"Chamdo (also known as Qamdo or Changdu in Chinese), where the monastery is situated, is now the site of some of the county-level centers for detention and “re-education” where monks and nuns expelled from Larung Gar have been held, facing torture and harsh conditions. It is a part of Tibet where the crackdown has been extremely severe, described by the CCP as the “frontline” and “combat-ready” in the political “struggle against separatism.”"

"While the Dalai Lama received global coverage for his words of compassion over the impacts of coronavirus in Time magazine, in Tibet, people were punished by imprisonment for sending prayers on social media. One netizen who simply posted “No one in this pure land is safe” was punished with eight days of detention."

Covid's also been a massive boon to their jackbootery, allowing even more near-absolute levels of spying and the ability to have another cover to herd people around with.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 25, 2021

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Chinese nationalists who the PRC encourage get extremely, apocalyptically angry at people acknowledging them, though

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also like what "myth", china is still trying to ethnically cleanse tibet, they're still constantly trying to tread on taiwan's independence, screwing with Hong Kong including passing ever more transparently abusable laws (Because HK's legislature is filled with party toadies) against like "disrespecting" the chinese anthem and limiting the size of groups in public and a guy just got out of prison after like two years for merely commemorating the tiananmen square massacre. Where's the lie in any of their big authoritarian shitfits over those three and more.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 25, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Archer666 posted:

Honestly watching/listening to people playing TTRPG (or even doing them online in places like our Play By Post forum) is kind of missing the point of these games IMO. It's about having fun with friends and making up a silly story while you're in the same room together socializing.

Or that's my preference at least. I know my local gamestore does D&D for beginners where you can join in with strangers, but that just seems slightly too awkward for me.

I'll be honest that I can't focus on most tabletop gaming podcasts, but part of that is also that I have a net negative interest in listening to more people play D&D, or make the same 8 D&D jokes, and have the same D&D plots I've made and heard since I was 11, so that's about 90% of active TTRPG podcasts out the window.

But it can be fun to play tabletop RPGs to do more than "make up a silly story with your friends." You can make up a silly story with strangers, or semi-known people, or maybe you want to do a make-believe story that's something besides "silly" just because it can be interesting or fun to see how that plays out.

There's plenty of room in between "sitting at a physical table together" and "ultra slow mode PbP that will probably die in a week." You can do live sessions via text in a Discord chat, or a voice/video call, or on Roll20 or Tabletop Simulator, too. Those are all honestly much easier for boring adults to fit into their schedule a lot of the time than in-game sessions, particularly for people in remote or off-US time zones. Even before Pandemic-times. If none of that is interesting to you, fine, but that's not missing the point of the games at all. A game as obsessive about combat and measurements as D&D is way easier to run online where widgets and hot buttons and clear grids make it easier to do all the math and rolling instantly anyway.

And another advantage of not doing in-person games with strangers is you can also dip out faster and block them if one of them starts demanding you piss in a troll's mouth.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Critical Role helps that they have supremely good chemistry and riff off of each other pretty effortlessly. Them being professional voice actors only adds to things. It's why I watch. On top of not really interested in playing D&D (both a time thing and not able to find a local group thing).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jimbot posted:

Critical Role helps that they have supremely good chemistry and riff off of each other pretty effortlessly. Them being professional voice actors only adds to things. It's why I watch. On top of not really interested in playing D&D (both a time thing and not able to find a local group thing).

I have listened to a bit of CR and it seemed cool. It's definitely the thing where I have to be driving to give it enough half-attention to follow, but I haven't had to do that as much lately. It did help to re-listen to their character intro episode so I could figure out who was playing what. Friends at the Table's many shorter-run games are interesting, too, and I've liked the Magpies Blades in the Dark podcast.

I would point out, too, that the CR crew takes their roleplaying, game setting, and story pretty seriously, even if they riff on things sometimes, and are definitely enjoying it on a level beyond "making up a silly story." They just happen to be skilled enough improv actors to make both the serious work they put into their characters and their jokes entertaining to people outside their friend group.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 25, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Yeah CR can bust out some goofs and jokes fairly consistently they';re all very into the actual roleplaying and character bits and setting and it's a nice change of pace from the usual TTRPG podcasts of "I made a big tiddy elf named 'Bongrips Bimbobaggins'". Which can be fun, I mean Rude Tales of Magic is one of my current favorite podcasts to listen to, but if feels like most table top. Or the garbage "Here's a lovely story I wrote and you're gonna just walk through the beats I'm clearly setting up" style you get with the McElroys and other 'story-focused' TTRPG podcasts. CR manages to feel like something they're all making together, especially how often and how powerfully they're catching Matt Mercer off guard with character choices.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Yardbomb posted:

Also like what "myth", china is still trying to ethnically cleanse tibet, they're still constantly trying to tread on taiwan including passing ever more transparently abusable laws (Because HK's legislature is filled with party toadies) against like "disrespecting" the chinese anthem and limiting the size of groups in public and a guy just got out of prison after like two years for merely commemorating the tiananmen square massacre. Where's the lie in any of their big authoritarian shitfits over those three and more.

In an area that most people in this thread are probably more familiar with, there was also the recent case of the Taiwanese indie game Devotion basically getting annihilated off the internet due to complaints from mysterious parties.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I have listened to a bit of CR and it seemed cool. It's definitely the thing where I have to be driving to give it enough half-attention to follow, but I haven't had to do that as much lately. It did help to re-listen to their character intro episode so I could figure out who was playing what. Friends at the Table's many shorter-run games are interesting, too, and I've liked the Magpies Blades in the Dark podcast.

I would point out, too, that the CR crew takes their roleplaying, game setting, and story pretty seriously, even if they riff on things sometimes, and are definitely enjoying it on a level beyond "making up a silly story." They just happen to be skilled enough improv actors to make both the serious work they put into their characters and their jokes entertaining to people outside their friend group.

I think for me CR sets off memories of being cornered by someone and talked at about their character/D&D game. Only now, it's fans of CR telling me about someone else's D&D game. I've spent countless hours in the part with TTRPGs, I'm happy this has given RPGs a whole new player base, but watching/listening isn't my thing. I'm happy it's given other people something to enjoy, however.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'll be honest that I can't focus on most tabletop gaming podcasts, but part of that is also that I have a net negative interest in listening to more people play D&D, or make the same 8 D&D jokes, and have the same D&D plots I've made and heard since I was 11, so that's about 90% of active TTRPG podcasts out the window.

Funny enough, the initial draw for me was the novelty of watching professional, adult performers end up doing the same dumb stuff playing D&D the first time that I did as a kid, but this peaked for me when Critical Role's second season became 'Oooh, now we're all going to play dark and mysterious people with tragic backstories.' I just loved the idea that part of the shared experience of tabletop roleplaying involves the same set of dumb-fun regardless of who is playing.

I like to listen to games using other systems to get a better idea of how they work mechanically (and because I'm so drat sick of D&D).

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Or the garbage "Here's a lovely story I wrote and you're gonna just walk through the beats I'm clearly setting up" style you get with the McElroys and other 'story-focused' TTRPG podcasts.

That doesn't help either!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
critical role is boring and corporate, the adventure zone is fine but is clearly four people extremely new to roleplaying using it mainly as a loose structure for comedy with (decent imo) stabs at setting other tones

if i want to listen to actual play podcasts though i go with friends at the table and they haven't put out a single thing i haven't found entertaining + some of the poo poo they get up to by the end of some campaigns is just incredible

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

the only good actual play podcasts are dragon friends and critical bits, hth

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
none of them are good.

except the one I like, that one's the best. but yours, yours is garbage, for babies. baby garbage

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Folk and Dagger is really good imo

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
One Shot Podcast and Neo Scum are good too. It helps that they aren't D&D (or at least D&D exclusive) actual plays. One Shot's Everyone is John episodes are some of the funniest things I've ever heard in pod form, even if the host had to add a brief disclaimer about the way the game portrays mental health.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, there's something insincere about the way that critique is employed, because all the Marvel movies have the heroes being agents of the fake comic book CIA and the head hero is a war profiteer who owns a giant company that makes drones and SDI poo poo for the American empire, but for some reason it's the way Captain Marvel valorizes the American military that gets relentlessly brought up as a reason that that movie in particular is uniquely bad. Every American studio film valorizes the military or at the very least does not criticize it because the economy of the film industry depends on studios getting free access to death machines, and every Disney movie is deeply complicit in that arrangement.

None of the people that poo poo on Black Panther ever complain about Iron Man, even if they agree that it's equally bad or worse if you bring it up to them. There's just something about that movie in particular that causes a certain kind of tea-kettle screeching critic to volunteer a reading that applies to everything Hollywood produces.

And it's trivial to claim that a movie can be bad in some respects but is also good in others, like how it gives black kids a Spiderman to identify with and enjoy.

Oh no no no, it's totally different. See, he was an amoral flippant arms dealer and designer in the first 22 minutes of the movie but after being kidnapped by Al Qaeda he's born again and doesn't do that anymore. :) It's fine, he's good and we don't have to think about the fact that he was helping fuel the war on terror for years beforehand.

Captain Marvel on the other hand is evil because unlike Iron Man she's delighted to find out about the Air Force because she's rediscovering her humanity- despite the fact that her time in it seemed to suck entirely from what I can remember of the movie. Big cringe opinion: I kinda want a scene of her running the boot camp again with Space Stone powers in whatever the next movie she's supposed to be in.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

There's tons involving Butch Hartman but this is the first I'm hearing about Jimmy Neutron. I think there was something about some weird christian recruitment kickstarter thing that he wasn't being upfront about? Something along those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

mycot posted:

In an area that most people in this thread are probably more familiar with, there was also the recent case of the Taiwanese indie game Devotion basically getting annihilated off the internet due to complaints from mysterious parties.

Mysterious parties? They were just concerned gamers!