Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Namtab posted:

Theres no such thing, he screams. Neoliberalism is just a word, and the reason the water doesnt run off is the ring of mountains at the edge.

suddenly reminded of that time a bunch of blueticks on twitter decided "actually neoliberalism doesn't mean anything"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kier screams louder "the left and the right are only illusions as fake as the moon landing. The truth lies in sensible debate and also flags, any flags"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

The Party of the Working Class in abrupt and some might say, unusual, policy turn.

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1364598580347076611?s=20

HELLO I AM KEITH STAMMER

I AM NOT FOR ANYTHING IN PARTICULAR BUT I SUPPORT THE GOVERNMENT AND THE CROWN

I WOULD PREFER HIGHER TAXES ON LOW INCOME EARNERS AND AN OVERALL REDUCTION IN HOUSEHOLD BENEFITS TO BALANCE THE DEFICIT

ALSO I DO NOT WANT THE LABOUR PARTY TO BE TOO SUCCESSFUL IN LEFT WING REGIONS AS IT MAY GIVE PEOPLE THE WRONG IMPRESSION

PLEASE VOTE FOR ME IN 4 YEARS WHEN I WILL NO LONGER BE PARTY LEADER DUE TO THE LABOUR PARTY COMPLETELY DISINTEGRATING

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

kecske posted:

I think its probably supposed to be duck away

Bless you but no it wasn't mistyped, right wing labour cunts making a new party named so it would be abbreviated to CUKs is still top 20 funniest things that have ever happened in the UK.

endlessmonotony posted:

Also I don't mind Nat's comments about enby folks because it's clear she's a shitposter who got a way bigger audience than she expected and responded the way shitposters do.

Of course, I didn't expect her to be correct, just entertaining.

She's a garbage fire with poorly thought out opinions, and yet the ability to learn. And that would be the exact reason I keep watching.

She's obviously not a garbage fire and obviously doesn't have poorly thought out opinions.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A dark part of me wants labour to lose more vote share but that wont happen. This fucker aint winning an election tho

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Namtab posted:

A dark part of me wants labour to lose more vote share but that wont happen. This fucker aint winning an election tho

Starmers Labour winning the next election is still more likely than not.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Namtab posted:

hosed up that labour is positioning itself as the party of austerity

It reminds me of the way Republicans and Democrats switched policies in the US at the beginning of the 20th century.
https://www.livescience.com/34241-democratic-republican-parties-switch-platforms.html

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

Doubtful unless the snp somehow collapses and scotlab fill the void

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Vitamin P posted:

this seems wrong on like a couple of counts

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Namtab posting again is good

Vitamin P posted:

Based on what? Apart from you huffing farts until you're blue in the face I mean.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

this seems wrong on like a couple of counts

Do you think the tories are doing a bang-up job?

They've hosed up a crisis moment, their only trump card of delivering brexit has been played already and Starmer is zero substantial threat to the establishment, we've had over a decade of tory rule why wouldn't a superficial change to dogshit labour be imminent?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Namtab posting again is good
Namtab is gnitsop backwards.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Labour positioning themselves against the tories on raising corporation tax is just melting my loving mind. Like... Do they seriously think that a bunch of HARD HEADED BUSINESSMEN are gonna look at that and think 'Hm yes, labour are the party for me, not these bleeding heart tories' and then not only vote for Labour, but for whatever swing they envisage resulting from it being significant enough that it skews them more towards power in four years time AAARGH!!!!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

We all thought we were in the dumbest timeline when the yaroo oiks Bash Street Kid got made PM, but that honour actually belongs to the one Keith Mandela Effected from, in which Carpetright and Richmond Sausages collaborated to produce the only android beige enough to make Bozzer appear vaguely statesmanlike

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Namtab posted:

hosed up that labour is positioning itself as the party of austerity

Utterly baffling. I have no idea how he justifies this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

They've hosed up a crisis moment, their only trump card of delivering brexit has been played already and Starmer is zero substantial threat to the establishment, we've had over a decade of tory rule why wouldn't a superficial change to dogshit labour be imminent?

They're polling really well and are about to have not hosed up the vaccination program

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The success of the vaccination program is going to save the tories. Boris continues to poll ahead of kier. I think the likelihood is that labour will regain votes, but lose.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Perfect Element posted:

Labour positioning themselves against the tories on raising corporation tax is just melting my loving mind. Like... Do they seriously think that a bunch of HARD HEADED BUSINESSMEN are gonna look at that and think 'Hm yes, labour are the party for me, not these bleeding heart tories' and then not only vote for Labour, but for whatever swing they envisage resulting from it being significant enough that it skews them more towards power in four years time AAARGH!!!!

I bet there's pressure from potential Big Donors here. Didn't Lord Sainsbury used to be a corporate donor to Labour who withdrew financial support when our man in Venezuela became LOTO?

I am getting a bit confused though because some reports are focusing on Starmer nixing supporting corporate taxes but others that seem to be implying it's against any tax raises on regular Joes. Is it an all or nothing thing? (Sorry my braincells are refusing to process information just now.)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
If current trajectories continue we might all find ourselves canvassing for the loving Tories at this rate

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

At least there's a slim chance Bozzer could get off his mash on booze and whizz and accidentally legalise weed while trying to install the underwater Irish roundabout or something

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Vitamin P posted:

I don't but it kind of looks like everyone else does?

theres like nothing left to hit them with, its all baked in.

The other thing i meant by a couple of counts is will it even be starmers labour? Like he seems closer to a leadership exit than johnson.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jakabite posted:

If current trajectories continue we might all find ourselves canvassing for the loving Tories at this rate
Is this how "you'll all be Conservatives when you're in your 40s" actually happens now?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

therattle posted:

Utterly baffling. I have no idea how he justifies this.

1. Maintain the already widely-accepted lie that corporation tax is paid on income, not profits.

2. Argue that less tax means more money to spend on wages, creating more jobs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

unless someone like zarah sultana becomes leader and is more open to purging i'm just gonna vote NIP/TUSC/some other far left candidate that has gently caress all chance

i never voted labour before corbyn i have no problem never voting labour after him

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Youre voting for nipples?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The tories are going to outflank the gently caress out of Labour from the left with the budget.

Yeah its not going to be things that help marginalised people but I guarantee we'll get a shitload of new shiny things up and down the country and probably a loving bridge.

They're going to absolutely steamroll for the next decade as nobody really gives a poo poo about them breaking the law, lying and enriching themselves and their mates as the general public thinks Labour would be the same but shitter and honestly I agree with them after seeing the last year.

I'm going to vote for an independent with a bin on his head.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I miss Gordon Broon.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nonsense posted:

I miss Gordon Broon.

Stole all the poonds tho

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Boohoo brexit just hit me personally:

I get these little milk pot things - they're long-life individual creamy milk things (20 little pots for 99p in Home Bargains) that I keep in to add to longlife fruit pot or if I have run out of milk and need to add to coffee in a morning before shopping, or if I am going to be away and don't want to open a new litre packet of milk.

I had a stash in my emergency supplies but I'm now down to the last 4 and have been searching high and low for them in local shops. Just found out they're not currently available because they are made in Dublin :(

And no, coffee mate won't do because (a) it is actually glucose syrup and (b) I have a habit of eating it dry off a spoon. Nor Marvel dried milk for reason (b).

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Boohoo brexit just hit me personally:

I get these little milk pot things - they're long-life individual creamy milk things (20 little pots for 99p in Home Bargains) that I keep in to add to longlife fruit pot or if I have run out of milk and need to add to coffee in a morning before shopping, or if I am going to be away and don't want to open a new litre packet of milk.

I had a stash in my emergency supplies but I'm now down to the last 4 and have been searching high and low for them in local shops. Just found out they're not currently available because they are made in Dublin :(

And no, coffee mate won't do because (a) it is actually glucose syrup and (b) I have a habit of eating it dry off a spoon. Nor Marvel dried milk for reason (b).

How about these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lakeland-Semi-Skimmed-Milk-Pots-Pack/dp/B000I6NQOS

5.86 for 120 so a slightly better deal too.

E: In fact if you just google for "milk pots UK" there are tons of options.

https://www.discountcoffee.co.uk/collections/milk-pots-and-creamers

https://a1coffee.net/sundries/milk/milk-pots-and-creamers.html

And if you want actual cream, then "UHT cream portions UK" (without the quotation marks) then again lots of options come up.

https://www.brake.co.uk/dairy/cream/uht/portions-cartons/uht-single-cream-portions/p/6366

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 25, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Namtab posted:

The success of the vaccination program is going to save the tories. Boris continues to poll ahead of kier. I think the likelihood is that labour will regain votes, but lose.

I'm not sure about the regaining votes bit: on current trends, I think a continuing downwards drift into mediocrity is more likely. There are two factors that matter on election day: first an individual's existing political loyalties (this is the opinion polling bit where you get the Tories 40%, Labour 37% etc) and second is the motivation to actually go out and vote. There's always a proportion of people who say that they support so and so but never turn out on the day and this proportion is enormously affected by energy and enthusiasm: people who are pumped up and energised about the likelihood of their party winning are highly likely to vote; people who are feeling :effort: about the whole thing far less so.

Now, come the next election, I think Tory voters will be feeling pretty good. Brexit is achieved, Boris has masterfully steered the nation out of our WW2 pandemic, Wetherspoon's is open again, house prices are going up and those woke urban lefty liberals are getting a good kicking on the culture war front. What Tory voter wouldn't be pumped up to get out there and vote for more of all that? By contrast, how will Labour voters be feeling? Will they be utterly enthused to get out and vote for a fractious, embittered party that's spent the last years displaying no coherent alternative to the Tories and no particular purpose beyond a vague wish to re-enact austerity? If the Labour party continues the course that it's been set on for the past year, I think they'll lose and lose bad come the next election.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I intend to go out and vote when the Local election happens. But it will be to vote for Khan as Mayor (he hasn't been awful), with some Labour Assembly members and I'll either spoil my ballot for council elections, or leave those boxes blank if it's all one long ballot paper.
Who runs my council doesn't really matter - maybe if the Tories win, they'll focus on digging up the roads in the rich part of the borough instead of around here - so I'm happy to express my displeasure with Labour by letting some gammons get in if it means Keith gets hosed.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
A general election is so far away that anything happening now is probably irrelevant, even when it’s as big as COVID and Brexit. We’re gonna have at least two years of “normal” Tory governance between now and then, and there’s a good chance that normal Tory governance is a lot less popular. Especially if they’re jacking up taxes.

Kieth is poo poo but his job should undeniably get easier when the Tories are back to doing Tory things rather than furlough schemes and lockdowns.

So much is predicated on Boris too. If he decides he’s too bored/stressed/poor most of the creatures behind him are despised.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

I intend to go out and vote when the Local election happens. But it will be to vote for Khan as Mayor (he hasn't been awful), with some Labour Assembly members and I'll either spoil my ballot for council elections, or leave those boxes blank if it's all one long ballot paper.
Who runs my council doesn't really matter - maybe if the Tories win, they'll focus on digging up the roads in the rich part of the borough instead of around here - so I'm happy to express my displeasure with Labour by letting some gammons get in if it means Keith gets hosed.

Tories running your local council is more likely to have a material negative effect on vulnerable people in your borough than any fucker in Westminster.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

peanut- posted:

A general election is so far away that anything happening now is probably irrelevant, even when it’s as big as COVID and Brexit. We’re gonna have at least two years of “normal” Tory governance between now and then, and there’s a good chance that normal Tory governance is a lot less popular. Especially if they’re jacking up taxes.

I would really like for this to be true. After all this country has form for rioting about taxes. And I guess the current perma-Tory cycle started with the promise of the brexit referendum in 2015. But if the response to the worst death rate in the world is just a combination of helplessness, denial, and fear that it would have been worse under the other side, it's hard to see how anything will rile people up. Then again, most people get taxed but lots of people don't know someone who has died of covid because they & their circle get to stay home all the time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I want the local elections to be such a massacre that they remove kieth and to see what shitters run for leadership

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Assuming some stray neurons have fired somewhere within the Labour party, is it possible someone thought supporting a tax increase on big buisness a week after your genre-defining policy - trailed with allusions to the Beveridge report - to borrow money from the public after a pandemic that included a Christmas spending spree might seem a bit silly?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Vitamin P posted:

People love how much they've hosed up. They go loving mad for it

Jose posted:

I want the local elections to be such a massacre that they remove kieth and to see what shitters run for leadership

Extremely same

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 25, 2021

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jose posted:

'corbynites have poisoned the well'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

domhal posted:

Assuming some stray neurons have fired somewhere within the Labour party, is it possible someone thought supporting a tax increase on big buisness a week after your genre-defining policy - trailed with allusions to the Beveridge report - to borrow money from the public after a pandemic that included a Christmas spending spree might seem a bit silly?

If they were capable of wanting to tax the rich they would have announced that rather than the pathetic bond scheme.

The Labour right has an explicit position of authoritarian social conservatism and neoliberal pro-business platforms like market creation and deregulation. This is all in line with that and it'll continue to be what is announced even if it costs Starmer the leadership and he's replaced by someone saying the same things.