Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
And this is where I started March/April 1942

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I'm playing Titan, and I've got Cyclops battling Rangers. I've got 27 dice to roll and hit on any 6's. One freaking hit. I end up losing the battle (and suppressing the urge to kick the board into the sun).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Just doing some casual Deep Battle.

This is the Bagration scenario in Victory Roads

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

AARP LARPer posted:

I'm playing Titan, and I've got Cyclops battling Rangers. I've got 27 dice to roll and hit on any 6's. One freaking hit. I end up losing the battle (and suppressing the urge to kick the board into the sun).

How fun, the odds of this is...something like .6-.8%

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
GMT as usual adds over five titles to P500 and only ships two (one an "update pack" aka "paid errata") during the same time frame. No Mr. President, no Russian Campaign on the horizon, only hand-wavy promises of these great new games that will be here soon!

I'm a big baby, so I flipped out and cancelled a couple hundred $ of P500s and went on a Compass Games spending spree -- a company that actually prints and ships new games out. GMT is just such a complete clown-show.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

AARP LARPer posted:

GMT as usual adds over five titles to P500 and only ships two (one an "update pack" aka "paid errata") during the same time frame. No Mr. President, no Russian Campaign on the horizon, only hand-wavy promises of these great new games that will be here soon!

I'm a big baby, so I flipped out and cancelled a couple hundred $ of P500s and went on a Compass Games spending spree -- a company that actually prints and ships new games out. GMT is just such a complete clown-show.

Well, I hope you don't get hit by the usual Compass level of quality.

That being said, i'm lookin forward to Hubris, random as it is.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

Right. They've recognized it's an issue and have supposedly addressed it (thicker counters; different type of paper for their maps). I guess we'll see if it works. At least I'll have some games in my hands rather than sitting on them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

AARP LARPer posted:

Right. They've recognized it's an issue and have supposedly addressed it (thicker counters; different type of paper for their maps). I guess we'll see if it works. At least I'll have some games in my hands rather than sitting on them.

I'm just using the time to get what I have played. My pantry o' wargames is pretty full atm.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Panzeh posted:

That being said, i'm lookin forward to Hubris, random as it is.

I think the bigger issue with Compass Quality is their actual game designs. They're just so incredibly hit-or-miss.

Like i get that they've done some amazing stuff in the past (EA: Ardennes, CC Tricorne, France 1944 reprint) but it seems like that's mostly a function of getting good individual designers who are able to preoperly develop and refine their games.

CSS was such as cool concept for a system (GTS, but simpler!) but has ultimately turned into a gigantic hot mess thanks to Starkweather not even bothering to testing his games. There's a few odd games here and there, most of which are entirely forgettable, but otherwise, all they're doing is reprinting ol 1970s/80s games with a new lick of paint.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Head's up that I just rec'd the Trung update to FitL and mine was a bit damp, with condensation inside the ziplock. These are just shipping, so if one is on the way to you, maybe check yours.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Compass is in Connecticut and GMT is California; GMT has been under more severe Covid-19 restrictions like losing their night shift to the new curfew. CT is cracking down harder ($500 fines going to $10,000) now, so Compass may see production slow soon.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What games do you recommend from Compass? I've been looking at South China Sea and Tinian: The Forgotten Battle

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I have to admit the kickstarter for Compass' The Battle of Armageddon is really piquing my interest.

Getting to play as the Antichrist and winning sounds as wrong as playing that old-rear end Richard Berg version of The Lord of the Rings and Sauron says "forget the ring" and takes over the whole map. The mechanics and pieces have a Fortress America vibe I cant shake, too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I've got Compass' PT Boat game coming in a month or so, I'll be sure to report on that!

I also did a major Eastern Front splurge from Turning Point/ATO. Stalingrad:Verdun on the Volga, The Battle of Stalingrad, two issues of ATO I didn't have, and the 4 in 1 Barbarossa annual.

S:VotV is a nicely produced boxed game. Area movement, good looking counters, rules look to be a "medium".

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Me and tomdidiot played a few more turns of DAKII and I was quite effective doing deliberate, conventional attacks with the Italians, which due to their lack of armour and low AR, is mostly the only thing they are able to do. Still, it's now October 1940 and supply is difficult to get through so tempo will slow down no matter what.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Me and tomdidiot played a few more turns of DAKII and I was quite effective doing deliberate, conventional attacks with the Italians, which due to their lack of armour and low AR, is mostly the only thing they are able to do. Still, it's now October 1940 and supply is difficult to get through so tempo will slow down no matter what.

apologies for the meme but I hope all of you have a better year than this one seems to have been for most people

I really like this thread and this thread in this place in particular. you're all really rare people and you all have good and valid opinions on wargames. except for those of you who love ASL but I love you guys too

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Sleekly posted:

apologies for the meme but I hope all of you have a better year than this one seems to have been for most people

I really like this thread and this thread in this place in particular. you're all really rare people and you all have good and valid opinions on wargames. except for those of you who love ASL but I love you guys too
:same: loving love this thread, honestly my favourite in the entire SA.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Shouldn't have let you maul my random Brigades for no good reason.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh hey, I forgot to post this here.

Its happening! If I cancel this project due to lazyness, someone I know will burn all my ASL stuff.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
In another MMP-published series game, Tekopo and I have continued our All Green Alike campaign game.

Tekopo is currently behind on VPs because Patterson panicked and took a lot of casualties in the Shenandoah valley. However' his position at Bull Run is much stronger, and he's threatening to overrun the rail depot near the battlefield where Johnston can get off the trains. It took him a while to get to the depot but he's on his way there. Beauregard can't really hold off this much stronger force forever and is concentrated around Manassas Junction.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Hunter in that screenshot was mauled earlier, down to 1 manpower, but Beauregard wasn't able to destroy him completely since I threatened to go through the Stone Bridge with Tyler's big division. Richardson was the man of the hour actually: after taking over from the terrible Miles, he managed to gain a march on Beauregard and get behind the troops defending Stone Bridge, letting me flank them: Tyler then did a one-two punch to get through and make Beauregard retreat, although his troops are thoroughly exhausted and I need them to rest for a day, especially with Johnston coming out. So far, everything to play for: Manassas Junction itself is heavily defended, but if I can tee-off against them with a flank I should be able to crack it. Unfortunately, I'm constantly losing men due to the 3 month men's time being up, so speed is of the essence for me, since I both lose men and also have the threat of Johnston coming to the relief of Beauregard.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
One thing i'll say for the system is that Burnside's actions at Fredricksburg make way more sense if you think about the dynamics of defending a position in GCACW, especially before 1864.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Working on GIF stuff for untitled LP GCACW project:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's weird to go back and see the ratings for units in Road to Gettysburg and compare them to All Green Alike, where in the latter a 1 rating and the only 2 ratings are for the Confederate generals.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

It's weird to go back and see the ratings for units in Road to Gettysburg and compare them to All Green Alike, where in the latter a 1 rating and the only 2 ratings are for the Confederate generals.

Seeing a unit with 17 MP and 5 artillery is the wild part myself, and i have to remember big divisions are kind of the norm in GCACW.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sleekly posted:

Same.

Panzeh posted:

Working on GIF stuff for untitled LP GCACW project:

I love this. Please animate more wargames!!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cessna posted:

Same.

I love this. Please animate more wargames!!

Atlanta Is Ours, Scenario 1:

The difference between 1864 combat and 1863 combat in this series is really something(in 1864, entrenchment can be done mid-turn and happens very quickly)

Also this is purported to be a learning scenario but it is not a good one for that. I'd get a bad impression of the game if I learned the game with this one.(It's way too hard).

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 5, 2021

BulletHole
Aug 20, 2003
"I own this fat j-bag, oh yes i do." Sehnsucht
Unconditional Surrender Europe got an implementation on Board Game Arena. Having a big war game with a rules-enforced implementation is pretty cool - is there a thread consensus on USE?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Its on my table right now! Excellent game imho.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

BulletHole posted:

Unconditional Surrender Europe got an implementation on Board Game Arena. Having a big war game with a rules-enforced implementation is pretty cool - is there a thread consensus on USE?
I really like USE and I've had a lot of fun playing what is, in essence, a slightly more playable grand strat game. The activation system is pretty great, and I even like the production puzzle aspect of it, and some of the attacks especially against France feel pretty well constructed without excessive requirements for extra rules. Overall, though, there are a couple of things that mean that if I want that experience, I usually play Totaler Krieg instead:

- The diplomacy system means that there are outright correct diplomatic choices that kind of remove some of the interesting aspects of diplomacy found in other games. One of the good points about Totaler Krieg is that it can create crazy diplomatic situations that are chaotic and you only have a limited control over, leading to interesting games every map. In USE there's not much point in not going for the better countries like Italy, Yugoslavia etc.
- The supply/movement system for ships and airplanes is extremely fiddly and really slows the game down. Having to count up sorties is kind of fiddly in terms of having to constantly remember to do it every turn and it's a lot of housekeeping time (less of an issue with a rules-enforced implementation though).

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
omg a new Fields of Fires and the crazy loving bastards are reprinting Vietnam 1965-1975

I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING BAD I SAID, I LOVE YOU GMT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

omg a new Fields of Fires and the crazy loving bastards are reprinting Vietnam 1965-1975

I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING BAD I SAID, I LOVE YOU GMT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that was an easy P500 order for me.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-911-vietnam-1965-1975-gmt-edition.aspx

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Good to see a good game like that get a reprint.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Yeah, I power-slammed that order in record speed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Good to see a good game like that get a reprint.

Now let's have the Fleet series updated to 2020/2030 ships and new scenarios.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

mllaneza posted:

Now let's have the Fleet series updated to 2020/2030 ships and new scenarios.

Wouldn't that mean removing half of the counters? Nobody has a navy anymore.

But yeah, It's cool that they are reprinting Vietnam. I'm also looking forward to the Pacific War reprint, looks like it has reached the target but it's not on the release schedule yet.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Obfuscation posted:

I'm also looking forward to the Pacific War reprint, looks like it has reached the target but it's not on the release schedule yet.
https://twitter.com/markherman54/status/1363918689851105283

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I am excited about P500 another monster game I'll never play.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I backed Red Flag Over Paris on concept alone. It will never leave the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

And the 2e Vietnam P500 has made the cut !

That has to be a record.