Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Leal posted:

Is Anthem the one where you had to pay money for colors for your armor

E: And not like to get a super cool decal or color pattern, but just straight up if you want blue, you have to pay for blue. For each combination of blue

No mention of the :bioware: Skull?

I am disappointed in you, goons.

E: Gah, snipe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edit: thank you to StrixNebulosa who gifted me Factorio, I wasn't posting my wishlist to beg for games or anything, just recommendations, but it is much appreciated! I just started watching Day9's Factorio Playthrough and it looks amazing even an hour in so I'm probably diving headfirst into an absolute mess.

So I've been having a bad time, and Stardew is wonderful and all that but I'm looking into other newer experiences possibly.

are any of these games I've wishlisted(that are available) particularly good de-stressers?
https://store.steampowered.com/wishlist/profiles/76561197972392547/#sort=price

or anything else, really. not a guarantee I get'em, but recommendations would be great right about now.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 25, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Captain Invictus posted:

So I've been having a bad time, and Stardew is wonderful and all that but I'm looking into other newer experiences possibly.

are any of these games I've wishlisted(that are available) particularly good de-stressers?

or anything else, really. not a guarantee I get'em, but recommendations would be great right about now.

Your wishlist isn't showing up for me, but do you like point and click adventure stuff at all? Those types of games tend to be my go to for relaxing and theres tons of them out there.

Edit: maybe something like slime rancher or katamari damacy might be good too

Oh wait now your list is showing up. I know one of my friends was into wargroove for awhile, and raft is supposed to be pretty good too. I can't do those smart person games like dyson sphere or factorio but those are well liked.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 25, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Captain Invictus posted:

Can't see your wishlist but my destressors are:
ARPGs you can play mindlessly like Path of Exile (with certain builds)
Wilmot's Warehouse
Everything
Intergalactic Fishing
Coloring Pixels

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Your wishlist isn't showing up for me, but do you like point and click adventure stuff at all? Those types of games tend to be my go to for relaxing and theres tons of them out there.

Edit: maybe something like slime rancher or katamari damacy might be good too

HopperUK posted:

Can't see your wishlist but my destressors are:
ARPGs you can play mindlessly like Path of Exile (with certain builds)
Wilmot's Warehouse
Everything
Intergalactic Fishing
Coloring Pixels
whoops, I didn't realize it was hidden behind privacy-related things, didn't realize that stuff wasn't public already. fixed it.

I forgot about Slime Rancher, I bought that at some point but never played it. is my game list public? Anything that has less than 8 hours played is probably just from idlers, not actually played.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 25, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ah yeah theres your wishlist. I know Raft is supposed to be good. I'm not smart enough for stuff like factorio or dyson sphere but they get a lot of love too.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Factorio can become a really chill experience if you turn off biters / turn on peaceful mode and just focus on your factory. If you can let go of the need to optimize and embrace belt spaghetti and just work towards getting one rocket launched eventually, it's just... nice. Like doing cross-stitch, or a jigsaw puzzle, you're slowly designing something that will work and put a rocket into orbit.

Also it removes the chance of entering a deathstate - default Factorio has finite resource patches so if you gently caress up hard enough you won't be able to keep your turrets/walls repaired long enough to expand. Biters can be fun, but I get far more fun out of building huge sprawling bases that build things with trains linking my sub-bases together. Also - and this sure is an opinion - I think Mindustry does factorio-as-a-tower-defense game better.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

Dyson Sphere Program is excellent. Imagine Factorio but in 3D, with a whole cluster of Mario Galaxy-esque tiny solar systems to explore and build on. It feels really full-featured despite being EA and it's very easy to sink time into. There's no enemies or anything, and you can even fly straight into a planet at light speed and just thunk onto the ground ready to go. I'm only just getting to the lategame now but I love how it feels setting up factories on multiple planets and shuttle resources to and fro, there's such a toy-like feel to how your buildings and belts curve around the tiny planets. It might honestly end up being my favorite Factorio-like once they add more content. It has a slightly wonky translation from Chinese to English, but its still not too hard to understand it all, there's just some odd word choices.

It actually has a uniquely uplifting story for one of these games, too. It's set in a world where humanity has basically ascended and invented paradise, and you're building Dyson Spheres to gather enough energy to power the utopia. It's just a backdrop excuse for why you're out here mining planets for all their resources but I think it's nice to have positive motives for once.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 25, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Anno posted:

The remaster of the first Geneforge game is out today as well for any Jeff Vogel fans and/or people who like cRPGs. I continue to find Spiderweb games strangely pretty, and this is a nice update graphically imo.

It's strange, I really enjoyed Exile and the first Avernum games, but anything from Geneforge onwards is just unacceptably ugly to me, in addition to being exhausting to play due to UI issues. I know I'm weird, but I also know I'm not missing out on much since it's basically the same game done over and over. I played Black fortress when it came out fwiw, wasn't anything special.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

My current destressor is Bloons TD 6, a rather silly tower defense game. I just chill with it at night after work. Bought it during the lunar sale out of curiosity and already put 24h in. Zone out, position monkeys, see them blowing up a million balloons per second. There's something about it that just clicks for me.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also - and this sure is an opinion - I think Mindustry does factorio-as-a-tower-defense game better.

Definitely agree on this one. I don’t mind biters but Mindustry definitely is a much more efficient way to get that gameplay.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s a shame the best video game stressball, Marvel Heroes, has been dead and gone for more than three years.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Manifold Garden
Shape of the World

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

dunno how you feel about mmos but final fantasy 14 is extremely chill gameplay-wise and full of goons you can talk to

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

whoops, I didn't realize it was hidden behind privacy-related things, didn't realize that stuff wasn't public already. fixed it.

I forgot about Slime Rancher, I bought that at some point but never played it. is my game list public? Anything that has less than 8 hours played is probably just from idlers, not actually played.

I see Subnautica is on your list :v:

Serious suggestion is Megaquarium. It’s an extremely chill aquarium management game. Decorate aquariums, fill them with derpy fish and wander through the aquarium in first person.

Slime Rancher is pretty fun and charming though I found it got a little repetitive.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s a shame the best video game stressball, Marvel Heroes, has been dead and gone for more than three years.
I'm so mad you can play on emulated servers of almost any lovely dead MMO but there's no Marvel Heroes server :(

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Captain Invictus posted:

[quote="Awesome!" post="512778619"]
dunno how you feel about mmos but final fantasy 14 is extremely chill gameplay-wise and full of goons you can talk to

Seconding this. The ff14 community as a whole is super chill and there's a whole bunch of goons more than willing to give a hand to new players.

This is probably a meme at this point, but there's a free unlimited demo up to and including the first expansion, where the game gets Really loving Good.

If you'd rather not jump headfirst into the thread here or in the discord, feel free to add me on steam/discord and I'd be more than happy to sherpa you through any doubts you may have.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Factorio can become a really chill experience if you turn off biters / turn on peaceful mode and just focus on your factory. If you can let go of the need to optimize and embrace belt spaghetti and just work towards getting one rocket launched eventually, it's just... nice. Like doing cross-stitch, or a jigsaw puzzle, you're slowly designing something that will work and put a rocket into orbit.

Also it removes the chance of entering a deathstate - default Factorio has finite resource patches so if you gently caress up hard enough you won't be able to keep your turrets/walls repaired long enough to expand. Biters can be fun, but I get far more fun out of building huge sprawling bases that build things with trains linking my sub-bases together. Also - and this sure is an opinion - I think Mindustry does factorio-as-a-tower-defense game better.

I haven't played it yet, but shapez.io also seems like a good option if you want a Factorio-lite without combat or fail state.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've heard plenty of wonderful things about FF14 but I'm never playing an MMORPG again. WoW fully broke me, both in never wanting to play that style of game again, and also never wanting to get that deep into a game again.

Thanks everyone for the recs, and thanks Strix for Factorio, I've installed it and will probably fire it up over the next day or two. Hopefully I have as much fun actually playing it as I do watching people play it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1364777661369827330

I posted this with a "yeah I like state of decay 2" and then I read it again and wait, gently caress. negative =/= positive. And now I'm mad, because god damnit I loved this game but gently caress's sake, don't be secret nazis.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 25, 2021

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol yeah i kept rereading that like wait why would you like the devs for saying punching nazis is bad

this reminds me i need to continue my playthrough of new wolfenstein

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm so loving mad, I've shilled state of decay 2 a lot and put a LOT of hours into it and never saw that trait and I even bought it for my boyfriend and now! I find out! I've been supporting assholes!!! ARGH.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Looking at the traits on the wiki:

Punched Nazis
"I ran into these guys in the underground music scene. There was only one way to deal with them."
Carries the negative effect of "Irritable towards other people"

Compare with

Punches Walls
"I've built up callouses on my knuckles from punching through drywall when I get upset."
Positive effect: +10 Max Health
Negative effect: Easily frustrated
Provided hero bonus: Tough Negotiation (Influence bonus)

So yeah, it's better to be a wall-puncher than a Nazi puncher in State of Decay 2.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh heck yes, Mahdi Bahrami made an actual Steam page for his spatial transformation game. I posted his proof of concept video on it years and years ago but now it looks like he's actually getting somewhere with it.

It's a puzzle game based on moving 3D shapes over different types of checkerboard that all distort the shape in specific ways, and having to figure out the correct pattern of placement to create the target object. Looks mindbendy in a very good way.

https://twitter.com/bahrami_/status/1364652130569773061

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am happy to report that Fights in Tight Spaces is very good. They tweaked the replay system a bit since the last time I played it, so you can actually get some cool rear end replays when you watch it play out in real time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Edmond Dantes posted:

Seconding this. The ff14 community as a whole is super chill and there's a whole bunch of goons more than willing to give a hand to new players.

This is probably a meme at this point, but there's a free unlimited demo up to and including the first expansion, where the game gets Really loving Good.

If you'd rather not jump headfirst into the thread here or in the discord, feel free to add me on steam/discord and I'd be more than happy to sherpa you through any doubts you may have.

Did they ever do that whole compressing-down-ARR thing, I bounced in 5.1 and haven't been back

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

explosivo posted:

I am happy to report that Fights in Tight Spaces is very good. They tweaked the replay system a bit since the last time I played it, so you can actually get some cool rear end replays when you watch it play out in real time.

I bought in earlier as well. I like the idea of the replay system but in practice they look weird and stiff. I wish the move animations somehow flowed into one another better.

That s aid it IS satisfying to save replays of e.g. that one time I got two dudes to shoot a third guy who got shoved in there by a fourth :c00l:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ciaphas posted:

Did they ever do that whole compressing-down-ARR thing, I bounced in 5.1 and haven't been back

they removed some post arr quests. theres still a lot though

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ciaphas posted:

They did!

Game wiki posted:

In patch 5.3, 20 quests were removed to streamline the experience for new players, bringing the number of quests down from 100 to 80.
If I recall correctly they also streamlined a bunch of the quests that stayed in too, and now you can fly in ARR areas after you complete 2.0, which should make for an overall much better experience, but having said that...

Awesome! posted:

they removed some post arr quests. theres still a lot though
It's still a lot of 'em. 2.3 is where stuff starts getting good imo, so you're not that far off if you care enough to jump back in.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

oh yeah being able to fly in arr makes a big difference now

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
:siren: poo poo just got real when it comes to Steam's Remote Play Together: :siren:

quote:

Steam Client Beta - February 24th
24 FEB @ 6:49PM - SLOUKEN
The Steam Client Beta has been updated with the following changes:

Remote Play
Added support to invite anyone to Remote Play Together

Now you can Remote Play Together with anyone – no Steam account needed to join your game with the click of a link. Simply launch any of the thousands of games with support for Remote Play Together, then grab an invite link from your Friends list in the overlay. Send the link to your friend on Windows, iOS or Android, and they can click your invite to join in the fun.

For more information, and to share your feedback regarding the new Invite Anyone functionality, join us in the Steam Remote Play Group.

quote:

Remote Play Together - Invite Anyone!
24 FEB @ 7:15PM - CHRISTEN

Now in Beta, you can Remote Play Together with anyone – no Steam account needed to join your game with the click of a link.

To try the new functionality, opt into the Steam Client Beta. Once updated, you'll find a COPY LINK button in your Friends list whenever you play one of the thousands of games with support for Steam Remote Play Together.

To quickly access your own games with support for Remote Play Together, click the advanced filtering options icon in your Library, then select Remote Play Together under Features. You can even hit Save to create a Dynamic Collection.

When you're ready to play, launch your game, then grab an invite link from your Friends list in the Steam Overlay. Send the link to your friend on Windows, iOS, Android, or Raspberry Pi, and they can click your invite to join in the fun.

We hope you'll give the new Invite Anyone feature a try, then join us in the discussions to share your feedback.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ciaphas posted:

I bought in earlier as well. I like the idea of the replay system but in practice they look weird and stiff. I wish the move animations somehow flowed into one another better.

That s aid it IS satisfying to save replays of e.g. that one time I got two dudes to shoot a third guy who got shoved in there by a fourth :c00l:

Yeah it sometimes makes for some cool highlights but it is definitely stiff. I laugh at the times when you get someone to shoot someone else because it makes no goddamn sense in real time. Check out the settings and change it to the experimental replay mode if you haven't, though. Pretty sure it just finds cool angles for things but it does make them look better played out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Someone made an graph showing what's been cut out, broken down by level-range & patch. Note that a lot of the quests that didn't get cut also got simplified to cut down on time wasting. For example: for part of a quest you had to get some water from a river, in the old version you had to pick up a bucket (with a three second progress bar), put it in the water (three second progress bar) and pick it back up (three second progress bar). In the new version all you need to do is click on the river once (still has a three second progress bar probably).

They did however make the Crystal Tower 24-man raids required before you can move onto Heavensword though, since they made them important to the story of Shadowbringers. Though those are easy and people are always running them. Takes like maybe an hour or two.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Awesome! posted:

so why did anthem flop so hard? what was so bad about it?

i dont want to watch a 20 minute breathless video or read a kotaku article

How about reading a goon's actual thesis instead then?

Onmi posted:

So I did my thesis on FFXIV and Anthem, their similarities, how poo poo turned around, etc. And people here asked me to upload it because reading a 28 page document written academically sounded fun I guess.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I0xwLxzUyE3CQ6PiGGqLyLlzM3udDJas/view?usp=sharing

Here it is, don't rip my rear end in a top hat too wide.

e:

Veotax posted:

They did however make the Crystal Tower 24-man raids required before you can move onto Heavensword though, since they made them important to the story of Shadowbringers.
:argh:
(it's "Heavensward")

Tamba fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 25, 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Awesome! posted:

curse of the dead gods is now out of early access https://store.steampowered.com/app/1123770/Curse_of_the_Dead_Gods/

good game. not a hades knockoff, it does its own thing.

I mean, obviously, Hades is Curse of the Dad Gods.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1364777661369827330

I posted this with a "yeah I like state of decay 2" and then I read it again and wait, gently caress. negative =/= positive. And now I'm mad, because god damnit I loved this game but gently caress's sake, don't be secret nazis.

https://twitter.com/StateOfDecay/status/1364868905613680642

https://twitter.com/StateOfDecay/status/1364870216514117634

Response from the devs.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/StateOfDecay/status/1364871713607979011?s=20

:hmmyes:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Good and cool of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Enormous lols @ the clique that spent the last month freaking out about Miranda's rear end in Mass Effect now very concerned about Undead Labs "caving to terrorism" for definitely purely 100% apolitical reasons.