Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've been getting back into modded with 1.16 and just found out that Thermal Dynamics apparently isn't going to happen. Is there a good replacement mod for RF/item pipes?

Mekanism, Integrated Dynamics, Xnet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

LOOKING4PACK:

i played the absolute poo poo out of Enigmatica 2: Expert a couple years ago and i loved it, right until i needed to do Botania/Blood Magic/Thaumcraft/Astral Sorcery to progress - they were very tedious to me and not what i'm into at all.

i've got the hunger again. i'm looking for an HQM-style modpack: curated, gated progression with lots of tech mods. magic is fine but ideally none of the mods listed above as part of the main progression. Greedycraft looks interesting but after a 5 minute peek i'm not sure it's going to offer the coherent/expert-style quest progression i crave. it'd be cool to play something 1.16, but it seems like Enigmatica 6 is the option there and a) it seems to be pretty early in dev and b) it still has the magic packs i don't enjoy

other minecrafts i've enjoyed are tekkit and agrarian skies. any recommendations?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Omnifactory may be worth looking at, perhaps.

Edit: it is fascinating seeing 1.7.10 mods updated even up to last year for GTNH and some Voltz pack.

Edit 2: Ohhh riiiiight. Enchantment ID conflicts. Good times.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 22, 2021

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Mekanism, Integrated Dynamics, Xnet?
I completely forgot Xnet existed. That's more what I'm looking for since I don't like "overlapping" mods if I can avoid it.

That said I really should try Mekanism at some point.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
i'm banned from forge discord :( for, i think, mod sass maybe. or commenting on a topic that a mod brought up. or saying something that's 'common sense'. idk. it's not clear at all.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 23, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Clairetic posted:

i'm banned from forge discord :( for, i think, mod sass maybe. or commenting on a topic that a mod brought up. or saying something that's 'common sense'. idk. it's not clear at all.

welcum 2 the fabric crew

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Clairetic posted:

You contravened the great, powerful, all-mighty, all-knowing LexManos or something.

You can also get banned from there for, like, @mentioning people even though that's not against the rules.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Let's just go back to jarmods, I'm tired of this poo poo

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Clairetic posted:

Sucks to hear that MachineMuse, internet drama never ends it seems.

I'm pretty excited about the mod you are working on, it is the kind of thing that I Iook for when I decide to build my own mod pack. I wanted to offer to help with models or art assets, but my schedule is so full and chaotic nowadays that I don't know how reliable I would be on getting anything in a timely manner.

Which is a shame because I enjoy making models for stuff (just unfortunately nothing ever gets used).

-------

Might as well share some of these since the likelihood of it getting released is very small (Need to get the customized SMP Revival for 1.16 finished up at some point..)

Multiblock crafting table that can be upgraded by adding tools and additional facilities. Different tools would have unlocked new recipes while the quality of the tool would have improved resource efficiency for certain recipes (like better wood saws would increase the number of planks you get from a log or stairs from planks, etc). The furnace upgrade would allow for mod compatibility for mods that use vanilla furnace recipes (as the mod this crafting table was for replaced the vanilla smelting systems) and chests would add storage to the crafting table.

Multiblock kiln for early game firing of pottery. This had several models for if it was currently 'powered', idle or had items inside.

These are actually models for the vanilla furnace, smoker and blast furnace I decided to do a few months ago.

Replacement model for the Brewing Stand based off of Thuamcraft.

Overly complicated loom model with temp textures.

Drying rack for processing hides into usable leather.

Firepit with early game upgrade adding a spit and clay cooking pot used for making early game foods (simple stews, gruel) or rending fat into tallow.

Roof shingles (Seen several mods that have similar blocks, my own model is probably not the most performance friendly with all this extra structural geometry).

Barrels for brewing.

TNT Barrels (later versions had danger markings on the side)

Convoluted concept crafting GUI for blacksmithing.

Attempting to make vanilla GUIs more visually interesting.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
God I'm blown away by how cool that all looks. Really goes for some rustic detail while still embracing the blocky aesthetic in the best way.
Any time I see this sort of thing I always get to wondering, if people can do all this even with all the (intentional and unintentional) roadblocks Minecraft modding throws in their way, what's Hytale modding going to look like? Especially when you consider how robust Starbound's modding was despite not having as solid a foundation. :allears:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

drat dude that looks fantastic.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

Enzer posted:

Might as well share some of these since the likelihood of it getting released is very small (Need to get the customized SMP Revival for 1.16 finished up at some point..)

All of those look amazing!! Have you thought about bundling up the vanilla ones into a resource pack?

Edit:

So I'm browsing the (queer-friendly) Fabric discords and well, the mod ecosystem is still kinda nascent but there are some decent tech mods already looks like:

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/techreborn - kind of somewhere between IC2 and gregtech?

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/industrial-revolution - looks kind of TE-inspired?

Applied Energistics has also been working on a port although it's still tagged as alpha.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/applied-energistics-2/files/all?filter-game-version=2020709689%3A7499

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 23, 2021

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks for the compliments!

Clairetic posted:

All of those look amazing!! Have you thought about bundling up the vanilla ones into a resource pack?

So I used to maintain a customized variant of SMP's Revival for a goon server. I got SMP's blessing to continue to maintain my custom version of his pack, but life has been a bit all over the place and the last "complete" version of the pack was for... Minecraft 1.8? Mojang has added a lot of blocks, mobs, redone the folder format, and renamed all the texture files since then. Every now and then I get I get the urge to work a bit on it, I'd like to have something for public release for 1.17 as on top of textures I need touch up the current models I have made plus implement a few others.

Last time I touched it I was working on models, making all new GUI since some of the older ones got changed anyway and working on my take on The End and starting to poke at some of the new Nether stuff.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I get the feeling if I ever want to see aesthetically pleasing generators I'm gonna have to mod them in myself and I have no idea how to do that :smith:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Clairetic posted:

Edit:

So I'm browsing the (queer-friendly) Fabric discords and well, the mod ecosystem is still kinda nascent but there are some decent tech mods already looks like:

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/techreborn - kind of somewhere between IC2 and gregtech?

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/industrial-revolution - looks kind of TE-inspired?

Applied Energistics has also been working on a port although it's still tagged as alpha.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/applied-energistics-2/files/all?filter-game-version=2020709689%3A7499

Sweet, EU and 'Lazuli Flux'. Back to the age of everyone having their own power system.

Also TechReborn was basically a fork of IC2 made to use RF but apparently they've changed that.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

LF lives

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't Forge Energy not formalized until like 1.12? I'm fairly certain RF was the standard until then, and it wasn't baked into Forge.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
EU doesn't work at all like RF so I am personally okay with it being its own thing.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Personally, the big problem I always had with EU wasn't that it is its own thing, it's that it is its own thing that will explode and wreck all of your poo poo if you gently caress anything up at all ever. But the early days of Minecraft modding had a lot of things that actively disrespected your time.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

New rovers on Mars? Pffft. I've been there myself (in GTNH)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is anybody else generally interested in a GT:NH server? Mr.Boofu's server will go down soon, and it's basically down to me and Faldoncow. We've slowed down quite a bit but we'd keep it up with our slower pace if there were other people generally around. We're trying to figure out if we want to migrate the server's save state to a new instance when the service expires.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is anybody else generally interested in a GT:NH server? Mr.Boofu's server will go down soon, and it's basically down to me and Faldoncow. We've slowed down quite a bit but we'd keep it up with our slower pace if there were other people generally around. We're trying to figure out if we want to migrate the server's save state to a new instance when the service expires.

Depending on how much RAM GTNH asks for (it's 1.7.10?) I could host it on a bit of the Disasterpiece crew's hardware. Our other throwback server - some wacky super saiyan thing - seems to mostly be uninhabited of late.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
GTNH needs like 5 or 6 GB of ram to run. Not as bad as you'd expect.

For me to switch to a server at this point would necessitate some guarantee of it either lasting years or giving me access to the save file once it goes down. I'd also strongly desire creative mode for a bit to get myself back near the point I'm at in singleplayer, which is... like halfway through HV?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 25, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Black Pants posted:

It wouldn't be that nostalgic.

I lied, I put IC2, Buildcraft, Railcraft and Forestry in this silly pack anyway because why not.

Also Aether and Betweenlands and Twilight Forest and Galacticraft with Galaxy Space.

Also drat, aside from dealing with wrangling biome IDs and one deceptively broken mod this is downright simple to get setup. Why did we ever leave the 1.7 of Eden.

Though another interesting thing I noticed is that while 1.7.10 has a ton of mods and there was a big thing about the number of 1.7 vs 1.12 mods, 1.12 definitely has the upper hand on the number of good mods. My 1.12 pack sat around 350 mods and that was with deliberate exclusions and I also had to cut back on a few things to keep it blowing out past there. Meanwhile, I only got a bit past 250 on the 1.7 pack before I started needing to poke around the dregs for anything interesting.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 27, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What is the research path to bottled taint anyways? I think I saw that the bucket of liquid death is a pre-req, but I can't even get that to come up yet.

dragonshardz posted:

Depending on how much RAM GTNH asks for (it's 1.7.10?) I could host it on a bit of the Disasterpiece crew's hardware. Our other throwback server - some wacky super saiyan thing - seems to mostly be uninhabited of late.

I can act like it's no skin off my back to just use somebody else's hardware, but then the question becomes whether or not you're just hosting a dead server instead. That isn't fair though.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What is the research path to bottled taint anyways? I think I saw that the bucket of liquid death is a pre-req, but I can't even get that to come up yet.

I can act like it's no skin off my back to just use somebody else's hardware, but then the question becomes whether or not you're just hosting a dead server instead. That isn't fair though.

:shrug: I'm putting the option out there, is all. We've got a little wiggle room to host stuff that "sleeps" when nobody is on, and if it's a couple people grinding on GTNH it'll be a blip compared to the ~12GB our mainline server is likely to want.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!
I recently started GTNH for the first time in single player after reading this thread, and it's already starting to feel like there's a long path ahead! If you started a new server I'd probably join in as well, but I don't really have a lot of reliable play times so it would be sporadic.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I've been playin omnifactory and drat am I bad at automating gregtech stuff/parallel processing. What are some tips for fully automating macerator -> ore wash -> thermal centrifuge -> macerator to keep the main products going and siphon off the by products? That's my biggest bottleneck.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!

dragonshardz posted:

:shrug: I'm putting the option out there, is all. We've got a little wiggle room to host stuff that "sleeps" when nobody is on, and if it's a couple people grinding on GTNH it'll be a blip compared to the ~12GB our mainline server is likely to want.

I'm actually playing my "single" player GTNH world as a multiplayer server on a standalone desktop computer I use for hosting servers for friends; it has 16 GB of RAM and is only hosting a mostly-unused Factorio server at this point so you all are welcome to use it as a new world if you'd like. If you don't mind that the spawn point is near two villages that I Magnum-torched up to ease my way into GTNH, can give one or two of you guys op since again I only play sporadically. Can check in as needed if anything is needed from a server-restart or files standpoint. For bandwidth I'm on Gigabit up/down FIOS so no concerns there. From my end I'm only in Tier 0.5/Stone Age, just built a Coke Oven, so we can just pick up and co-op from there, or people can branch-off if they prefer.

ChubbyPitbull fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 27, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

dragonshardz posted:

Okay if you're cool with it then I'd be happy to take a stab at a migration. Mr.Boofu was going to pull everything off when the server goes down so we can try to migrate it all to that server. It would probably be easier to coordinate on the Discord he had set up: https://discord.gg/HXYuQKAxkb

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oof. I remember people talking about how pretty and cool ChromatiCraft was so I decided I'd throw it into the pack, but then I decided to start reading up on it and.. yeah, nope. First thing I found was a reddit thread posted by Reika coming to the shocking realisation that most people hadn't finished the mod's progression and he was thus asking why not. And a bit more reading suggested he expected each player to have their own 5kx5k square of land in order to find everything they need to progress.

..because the structures you need to find to progress can only be 'discovered' once. By anyone.

Here's the thread if you're curious: https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/55c8b0/how_far_have_you_made_it_into_chromaticraft_who/

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 28, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A lot of Minecraft mods are testaments to the fact that good game design is not something people are born with.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Speaking of bad mods and people who play bad mods (me) I recently tried giving FTB: Interactions v2.0 a real shot and now that it runs a little better I was able to make some headway. It feels a lot like a spiritual successor to GT:NH.
Like GT:NH it's heavy on recipe and progression restrictions, adds a ton of intermediary steps to existing recipes (though at least you don't need screws for doors and beds), features very dark nights and terrible monsters, incorporates Thaumcraft (among others) to overcome various milestones in what's otehrwise a tech-focused progression, and has a bunch of shortcut recipes, convenient devices, and magic substitutes that unlock along the way to simplify things. It has a slight leg up by giving you an ore scanner very early on, like as soon as you start mining. It's also one of those quest-based packs that has really good rewards, including devices you can't really get by yourself until later, so you can get a leg up if you focus on various avenues of progress.
Also it starts you in a totally peaceful void dimension for the first chapter while it introduces various concepts and gets you started on resources, and you can either migrate to the overworld or build your permanent base there. My biggest complaint is that it's so big that looking over all the tasks can be daunting, and I'm still working my way around a sidetrack that went through Thaumcraft, Astral Sorcery, and Wizardry in sequence so I could unlock some easier machine crafting.

I strongly recommend going into the mods/configs and turning off the "finite water" setting because it's absolutely pointless and frustrating and more or less forces you to build over an ocean or river since those are the only biomes water is infinite in. It's not difficult and you can get stacks and stacks of ice for free instantly so I don't know why this is even included. I also turned off mobgriefing because I don't like my base being tunneled into but maybe if you liked Craft of the Titans you'll prefer it on.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
What's the go-to magic pack nowadays? I'm fine if it has industry as well, but I've been wanting to do a proper magic playthrough of something for years and I'm ready to go.

Ideally I'm after something that includes both Astral Sorcery and Mana and Artifice.

Edit: Wrong mod name

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 3, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you want some fancy quest thing you're basically out of luck for 1.16, but if you just want to play with magic mods then there's dozens of kitchen sink packs to poke around.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The latest Direwolf20 pack has Astral, Ars Nouveau, Mana and Artifice and Botania.
Plus some of the smaller ones that I have never tried, the nature ones.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What would help me get more feathers in GT:NH? I'm guessing I should slaughter chickens with fortune, but I guess I need to use one of the blessed knives of the pack since other weapons are liable to cause random explosions and kill half the remaining chickens to little effect.

I tried blow a fan on them into a hopper. I got a chest full of eggs, but no feathers.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

what do you need so many feathers for? by HV you can make a powered spawner from enderio. before tbhen i can't imagine you'd need so many you'd have to automate it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Feathers dropping from live chickens is a botania/quark thing anyways.

I'm also curious what you want feathers for. If you're looking for arrows, just make a TiCon crossbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What would help me get more feathers in GT:NH? I'm guessing I should slaughter chickens with fortune, but I guess I need to use one of the blessed knives of the pack since other weapons are liable to cause random explosions and kill half the remaining chickens to little effect.

I tried blow a fan on them into a hopper. I got a chest full of eggs, but no feathers.

A Butcher's Cleaver is what you want for slaughtering animals. They come with built-in looting.
You could put a bunch of chickens on top of a hopper that feeds a dispenser that shoots eggs at a wall, then periodically cull the adult chickens resulting from that. You can also set up some automated system to kill the adults but I don't know what options are easily available.

Did you want feathers so you could melt them down into Volatus essentia? I think bees have that too, so you can set up a bunch of apiaries or bee houses to breed drones to melt.