Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
are any of the actors that signed on to mocap even remotely involved in the project anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Snazzy Frocks posted:

are any of the actors that signed on to mocap even remotely involved in the project anymore?

I think Mark Hamill said Sq52 was going to be out next year a couple years ago on Twitter. He even got the name of it wrong as well if I recall, calling it Squadron 52.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Oh looks like it was Squadron 54. Sorry.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

colonelwest posted:

Lol so much for the big NMS-style redemption arc...

I guess this this just reaffirms that Star Citizen is good? Chris will never walk away from a wildly unfinished game, no sir.

https://kotaku.com/bioware-says-it-...CosNGJyGLb5oeTI

That's a drat shame. It really shows how far BioWare has fallen as a brand- I thought Anthem had huge potential and they have examples of successful business models in exactly this sort of game sitting all over the place- Destiny, Warframe, The Division. They could have turned it around at any point by taking it back for a year and giving it an overhaul but they just don't have the will or the competence.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
This one's got some nice ASMR if you have audio

https://i.imgur.com/rJNu69T.mp4

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Flannelette posted:

They don't have much debt right?
So just bin all the crobler online persistent universe stuff and make a normal functional space game with the pile of assets and code.

Define “debt”. By the last count, they had already run out of all backer money and were seven figures deep into investor cash. It may not qualify as debt in the regular sense, but the investors are sure to want that cash back at some point…

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I hear Squadron 69 is nice

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

The Titanic posted:

Are you trying to tell me we're not going to get the giant ship with the farming and telescope modules they sold???

Just because it's not on the roadmap and there has been no indication whatsoever that anyone at CIG even remembers that ship doesn't mean that they aren't working on it secretly. Why, it might be a surprise addition to the next patch! Or the one after it! Or the one after those?

...look, the point is, CIG is committed to being incredibly open about development and they care deeply about their fans, so whenever it looks like they don't have anything to report, you can be confident that they're just keeping very very quiet about all the amazing work they're doing. They have to do that, because otherwise it will spoil the game for everyone, and anyway, it's not like they're perpetually groping for literally anything that looks vaguely like progress to talk about in their videos, right? Right. So in conclusion, buy a couple of Idrises to protect your science ship now, before they increase in value!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Trilobite posted:

Just because it's not on the roadmap and there has been no indication whatsoever that anyone at CIG even remembers that ship doesn't mean that they aren't working on it secretly. Why, it might be a surprise addition to the next patch! Or the one after it! Or the one after those?

...look, the point is, CIG is committed to being incredibly open about development and they care deeply about their fans, so whenever it looks like they don't have anything to report, you can be confident that they're just keeping very very quiet about all the amazing work they're doing. They have to do that, because otherwise it will spoil the game for everyone, and anyway, it's not like they're perpetually groping for literally anything that looks vaguely like progress to talk about in their videos, right? Right. So in conclusion, buy a couple of Idrises to protect your science ship now, before they increase in value!

it's funny because if they simply keep at it long enough, say another 10-20 years, by sheer force of will they will have HAD to create something they can poo poo out to the backers as a 'game'

Basically the million monkeys on a million typewriters scene, but with; 1 Crobbler, unlimited time and money, a few hundred actual developers, and a few thousand computers!

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Blue On Blue posted:

it's funny because if they simply keep at it long enough, say another 10-20 years, by sheer force of will they will have HAD to create something they can poo poo out to the backers as a 'game'

Basically the million monkeys on a million typewriters scene, but with; 1 Crobbler, unlimited time and money, a few hundred actual developers, and a few thousand computers!

True. Technically, Bad Rats is a game, so Star Citizen could absolutely aspire to be just as good as that in another decade or two.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

time to spend another day in Squadron 420, doing, uh, i can't remember but it was v chill

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I've wondered what the theoretical dollar amount that has been wasted in this trash fire with fruitless endeavors. All the mocap stuff, all the leaked stuff, all the refactoring, Roberts changing pixels, etc.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

I've wondered what the theoretical dollar amount that has been wasted in this trash fire with fruitless endeavors. All the mocap stuff, all the leaked stuff, all the refactoring, Roberts changing pixels, etc.

i'm a pessimist and would probably say its incalculable

although it would be fun to try

think about this for a second, how many high-end workstations have they bought over the years, considering it's been 8 years already so they've most likely replaced old with new at least twice, assuming developers of the worlds first AAAA game need the latest tech constantly (we know they do, Roberts probably has 4x3090's in the desktop he types emails on)

we know they have no problem 'gifting' multi-thousand dollar pc's to supporters and streamers, how many 10's of thousands do you figure was blown just on those pc's?

it's amazing exactly how much can be spent with zero oversight

it would be like a charity executive team all buying brand new Ferrari's every 2 years (I'm sure it's happened too!) because no one can tell them what to do with all that FREE MONEY they've somehow been told to watch over

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

BigglesSWE posted:

I feel like taking over the development of SC at this point would be kind of like taking over the rule of
Nazi Germany in May 1945. The writing’s on the wall, pal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYz1ADttI1g

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

ENHANCE!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Star Citizer : poo poo Loads Faster

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Trilobite posted:

Funny. Seems like unless you actually know this stuff exists now, you can't find it on their site anymore.

The endeavor is there, but it doesn't seem to link to this beautiful package anymore:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14974-Design-Science-And-The-Endeavor

I guess at this stage you pretty much have to know how cig is loving you over in order to learn all the things they did to gently caress you over (and the people before you).

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 25, 2021

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Blue On Blue posted:

This is exactly what's happening today. :shrug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Has nobody made the Jesus patch is always "current year +1" joke yet?

Ok.

The game will definitely be awesome in current year +1.

That thing you want? Yeah, totally gonna be in. Better buy in now because the prices are only gonna go up up up!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Lmao at coming back 2 years later to see the same “core module pipelines” thing still being the mantra

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Here's some comedy from the forums. Stupid parts have been bolded.

Ship naming incoming!

The CIG numpty posted:

As announced in our recent Roadmap update, we’re introducing ship naming and serial numbers in the upcoming Alpha 3.13 patch. With this feature, select ships can display a player-assigned name and the unique serial number they were assigned at purchase on their hulls.

This is the first iteration of the feature and starts with the following five ships:
Aegis Hammerhead
Aegis Reclaimer
Crusader Industries Mercury Star Runner
Origin 600i
Origin 890 Jump

The names will be unique per hull. For example, there can be several ships named “Shooting Star” but only one 600i, Reclaimer, or 890 Jump with the name.

We have filters in place to catch inappropriate names and reserve the right to rename a ship should someone circumvent our filters or use a name we consider inappropriate that's not automatically flagged.

The feature implementation for the above ships will start based on the date the pledge was acquired. On March 1 at 10 am PST/ 6pm UTC, we’ll open up naming for concept pledges and golden ticket holders before inviting the next waves the following Mondays (March 8, March 15, March 22). These seven-day cycles honor early backers and give the new naming system a chance to cool down between waves. If you're a proud pilot of one of these models, have a look at the wave overviews below to find out when you can name your ship. For ships that have been melted and reclaimed, the buyback date is used to determine wave access.

The naming itself is done via the Hangar on the website. Names can be changed at any time, but your ship can only hold one name at a time. The name will stay on the ship even if you trade it away, but it will be lost if the ship is upgraded or reclaimed.

This is the first iteration of ship naming, and while you can change the name as often as you like for now, it's important to note that this is only temporary. Also, keep in mind that once you change the name, the old name is released and available for others! We are currently reviewing various options to limit the ability to change ship names infinitely, such as a cooldown and/or a small fee (similar to how handle changes work currently), as naming your ship is intended to be a meaningful and lasting decision.

* Ship naming is yet another feature that fractures the ship assets into those with the new feature and those without. Components, elevators, HUDs, locking doors, airlocks, snub fighters, selectable skins, customizable interiors... implement mechanics for every ship, you assholes! If you can't then don't release it! Nobody can remember half of what you've stuffed into different goddamn ships at this point!

* Unique names per hull purely to enforce scarcity, and then they're going to have a priority queue so only the whalest of whales who have held onto their ships will get first crack at naming them "USS ENTERPRISE"

* Of course it isn't an in-game feature or process.

* 3 of the 5 nameable ships are luxury yachts and a salvage boat that doesn't do anything, the others are a combat ship that needs 6 players manning turrets to be useable and a medium size ship that eats so much gas nobody can afford to fly it, :lol:

* Of course they want to charge money for it.

Jesus loving Christ, CIG.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Citizens are already very mad that they will be subjected to hundreds of Mill3n1um F4lcon renames due to the unique naming rule. I'm sure CIG will do the right thing... and limit ascii and numeral use in the names.

Oh also you can't name ships you bought in-game for in-game cash because those don't show up on the website, lol. Get hosed, game players!

Looking forward to setting sale on the SS D3R3K SM4RT W4S R1GHT

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I wonder how many ways a ship decal can kill someone.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

In Elite I can name any of my ships whatever I want. This can be done at any station, for free. Other players will see it when they scan my ship, and it's pretty neat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They'll add unique ship names but have to reduce server player count to 30 in order to get it to work.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

I'm going to call my space ship The Crobbler and none of you can stop me

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

People who care about uniqueness want ship names that stand out, and they don't need an enforced unique name for that. The players who don't care about standing out just want to name their ship Millennium Falcon, and you arn't winning any points from them by not letting them do that.

Looking forward to the first rager from a player trying to name all their ships the same thing except one hull where someone else got it first.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

Here's some comedy from the forums. Stupid parts have been bolded.

Ship naming incoming!

* Ship naming is yet another feature that fractures the ship assets into those with the new feature and those without. Components, elevators, HUDs, locking doors, airlocks, snub fighters, selectable skins, customizable interiors... implement mechanics for every ship, you assholes! If you can't then don't release it! Nobody can remember half of what you've stuffed into different goddamn ships at this point!

* Unique names per hull purely to enforce scarcity, and then they're going to have a priority queue so only the whalest of whales who have held onto their ships will get first crack at naming them "USS ENTERPRISE"

* Of course it isn't an in-game feature or process.

* 3 of the 5 nameable ships are luxury yachts and a salvage boat that doesn't do anything, the others are a combat ship that needs 6 players manning turrets to be useable and a medium size ship that eats so much gas nobody can afford to fly it, :lol:

Jesus loving Christ, CIG.

Oh this is going to be hilarious fast.

Wait until people start selling LIMITED NAMED ships for big cash... wait wait

What's THE ship name from wing commander? Can we name it and squat on it like domain name squatters, I bet you Ben will pay BIG to get it

This is going to be clearly hilarious watching the grognards lose it when they can't get the special name they wanted because someone that pressed F5 faster got it first

HAHAHA

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Popete posted:

They'll add unique ship names but have to reduce server player count to 30 in order to get it to work.

Don't be ridiculous. A dynamic server will spin up for each letter in the ship's name and seamlessly display across your screen for maximum fidelity.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

People who care about uniqueness want ship names that stand out, and they don't need an enforced unique name for that. The players who don't care about standing out just want to name their ship Millennium Falcon, and you arn't winning any points from them by not letting them do that.

Looking forward to the first rager from a player trying to name all their ships the same thing except one hull where someone else got it first.

Oh ya this too

I've seen plenty of rich people that have 4 cars and will name them all MYCAR1 MYCAR2 MYCAR3 etc poo poo like that

Imagine Clifford flipping his poo poo to the concierge people once he tries to register SPEARMINTVR1 and see's it taken already

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
speaking of ridiculous...

holy cow what the hell?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Last King posted:

holy cow what the hell?

It's true! These beautiful ships will only be on sale this low for a limited time, get yours today!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Flannelette posted:

They don't have much debt right?
So just bin all the crobler online persistent universe stuff and make a normal functional space game with the pile of assets and code.

I think most of their debt is technical. :imunfunny:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Last King posted:

holy cow what the hell?

I don't know why this surprises you. Here's how the pricing model works:

$360: This is the bog standard cargo ship. It is big and it hauls cargo. It will be completely defenseless even with turret gunners and will still lose all your poo poo when the game crashes to desktop. It is absolutely not worth even a tenth of this price, and you can buy cargo ships in-game for free.

$480: This is the "Military" version of the cargo ship. It hauls less cargo than the first one, in exchange for a hand wave and nebulous promise of better equipment, or something. They don't even bother to describe the difference anymore, they just say "It's military" and raise the price by a hundred dollars. Citizens still pay the difference.

$700: This is the "Whale" version of the cargo ship. It can haul less than a third of the first one's cargo, but they have promised new features like being able to drop gravity bombs, in a space game about spaceships in space. Only a fool would buy this. It is here to make idiots think that the first two are a good value. Citizens have been trained to fetishize spaceships that are facsimiles of actual planes, so this one is compared to the C-130 Hercules that they stuck a howitzer to the side of. It will not have a howitzer.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 25, 2021

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The “in stock” always makes me laugh.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Last King posted:

holy cow what the hell?

This is so loving nuts tho, like I just bought a new snowboard, it’s nice, carbon fibre inserts, sintered base, bamboo, but it was $560 and I don’t really need it. Like $700, for a picture of a promise. JFC.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Can these ships requiring multiple people even work?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Khanstant posted:

Can these ships requiring multiple people even work?

One of the things they are implicitly selling with these expensive jpegs is that the plebs will come swarming to man your ship - you're a member of the space elite.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dieselfruit posted:

In Elite I can name any of my ships whatever I want. This can be done at any station, for free. Other players will see it when they scan my ship, and it's pretty neat.

You can also put them on the ship (any ship, forever) for like 3 GBP. Or ~6 weeks of playing for arx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A reminder that Diablo 2 released in June 2000. Then Diablo 3 released in May 2012 (and was considered to be pretty late), around the time of SC Kickstarter.

Now, nine years later, there's Diablo 4 announced, Blizzard is releasing Diablo 2 remaster for its 20th anniversary (slightly late, but Covid) and Star Citizen still has nothing.