Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

ok ok ill catch up on higurashi before bed to see if it makes me go :eyepop:

e: well
the “you can never go home again” subtext of higurashi came out a bit, but as someone who uh never actually watched the original just this new version i am mostly just confused!

wolfs has issued a correction as of 10:50 on Feb 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DemoneeHo posted:

holy loving poo poo, that latest higurashi episode

guess it’s time to start back up

wolfs posted:

ok ok ill catch up on higurashi before bed to see if it makes me go :eyepop:

e: well
the “you can never go home again” subtext of higurashi came out a bit, but as someone who uh never actually watched the original just this new version i am mostly just confused!

yeah the frustrating thing is that it’s not a remake but there’s a lot of content that’s repeated from the first series as if for new viewers so the pacing is bad but it also doesn’t work as a standalone viewing experience

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

net work error posted:

New episodes of Vlad Love out and there are some incredible references including an extended Patlabor 2 scene which was just :discourse:

its so wild to see oshii do comedy again

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Declan MacManus posted:

yeah the frustrating thing is that it’s not a remake but there’s a lot of content that’s repeated from the first series as if for new viewers so the pacing is bad but it also doesn’t work as a standalone viewing experience

Agreed. I can't recommend Higurashi Gou to newcomers because a lot of the context won't hit as hard if you didn't want the original. I can't even recommend it to fans of the original because Gou moves frustratingly slow in the first half with only a few (yet important) changes. It's not until the fourth arc that we get anything completely new. You still have to stomach a rather brutal torture scene, but at least you start getting answers.

Despite being hyped for the comfirmation of certain theories and the implications for the lore, I don't think i will call it a good show when it ends. But we'll see if they can stick the landing.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

But also episode 15 of Gou is a masterpiece of black comedy when you see Rika fail and speedrun through four different time loops

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's not necessarily woke or anything bit all this oshii talk is amking me want to endure watching angel's egg again.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

The Voice of Labor posted:

it's not necessarily woke or anything bit all this oshii talk is amking me want to endure watching angel's egg again.

What's problematic about it?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I still got to get around to playing the VNs of v When they Cry i got them on a stream sale a few years ago and I did pick up the collection if the other anime seasons cause Sentai had a new year's sale and it was 15 bucks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I read volume 3 of Chainsaw Man. drat. I kinda want to not read any more until it's done so I can read the entire series in one sitting

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Gripweed posted:

I read volume 3 of Chainsaw Man. drat. I kinda want to not read any more until it's done so I can read the entire series in one sitting
I read the first three volumes last year and then finished "Part One" just last week. It really gets kinda mind-blowing, I hope the anime adaptation has an insane budget. (Of course, it'll take years for them to get to the truly crazy stuff.)

I think without spoilers I can say that Part One comes to a real conclusion. You aren't going to end up at a cliffhanger or anything. I have no idea when it'll even start up but Part Two seems like it must be more like a sequel, not just picking up after a hiatus.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if the anime is otherwise excellent i'll have to wait for blueray rips. they heavily censor gore for tv and chainsawman is chainsawman.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

jujutsu kaisen is good

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

thotsky posted:

What's problematic about it?

it's really loving boring. like, some of the raw beauty comes through only because of the pacing, but it's still really boring

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

even if the anime is otherwise excellent i'll have to wait for blueray rips. they heavily censor gore for tv and chainsawman is chainsawman.

yeah a majority of that show will be censored if it gets the treatment it deserves. gently caress that's exciting.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i just cannot get over one of the villains in the final season of Attack On Titan being World War 1 Ottoman Turks and also what the gently caress is up with the armbands?

its like isayama just doubled down on the fash imagery.

i mean im still gonna binge it but still

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

i just cannot get over one of the villains in the final season of Attack On Titan being World War 1 Ottoman Turks and also what the gently caress is up with the armbands?

the armbands that eldeans have to wear outside the walls? it marks them as nonpeople.

also lol if you think those guys are significant villains

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

the armbands that eldeans have to wear outside the walls? it marks them as nonpeople.

:wtc:

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It's been a while since I read those chapters but I seem to recall Marley giving off some heavy nazi vibes.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
there are so many things to watch that aren't lovely shonen anime #2534 pls be kind to yourself

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

there are so many things to watch that aren't lovely shonen anime #2534 pls be kind to yourself

AoT always felt like Seinen without the r*pe to me personally

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
depiction is not endorsement

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

nabo posted:

depiction is not endorsement

don't make me tap the sign

(the sign is just that truffaut quote)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

marley is pretty unambiguously the bad guys though from what i remember

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I thought Marley was just the dog from that sad movie drat

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Was it MAPS where they had to blend live animals to hyperjump

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

AoT: Here is an underclass of people forced to live in ghettos and wear armbands so they can be identified at all times. They are brutally oppressed, have virtually no human rights, and have been subjected to a level of indoctrination and propaganda that makes some of them fight ardently for their oppressors against their liberators out of a desire to prove themselves to be "one of the good ones." The only reason they are kept alive is because they are useful to the state as instruments of war, with the promise of personhood dangled forever just out of reach. Their oppressors are always depicted as monstrous villains, and are the antagonists of the story

People online: Wow, AoT is so fascist!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

christmas boots posted:

It's been a while since I read those chapters but I seem to recall Marley giving off some heavy nazi vibes.

you also think fullmetal alchemist is pro-fascist

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
noted work of pro-nazi cinema, schindler's list

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Seyser Koze posted:

you also think fullmetal alchemist is pro-fascist

?

No I don't.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Do you mean this post?

christmas boots posted:

Let me take a stab at it. It's fascist because the country continues to exist despite the fact that not only was it built on a foundation of genocide, that was it's raison d'etre from the start and additionally one of the most high-profile war criminals in the government received a pardon and will likely become the leader at some point. The indigenous people are not granted sovereignty and incremental reforms appear to be the basis for hope going forward.

Someone else said the FMA author was fascist and then never elaborated so I tried to play devil's advocate and sketch out a position as best I could where you might be able to make that case, which I think is clear from the context when I made the post. It didn't get much traction because I don't think it's a particularly strong argument.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Yeah Marley is unambiguously evil. They want to conquer and genocide Eldia for natural resources and then would probably have murdered all the Eldians, including the warriors, for good measure. I haven't read much further but I know Eren decides that the only way to be safe from genocide is to counter genocide everyone else, and I'm not exactly sure if any character has offered a real alternative to that position.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

KaptainKrunk posted:

Yeah Marley is unambiguously evil. They want to conquer and genocide Eldia for natural resources and then would probably have murdered all the Eldians, including the warriors, for good measure. I haven't read much further but I know Eren decides that the only way to be safe from genocide is to counter genocide everyone else, and I'm not exactly sure if any character has offered a real alternative to that position.

There doesn't seem to be one in-universe tbh. AFAIK the narrative is pretty unambiguous in presenting what Eren's doing as horrific and unforgivable but it almost feels like the (at this point) inevitable endpoint of a series of repeating cycles of fascism that are so firmly entrenched that no one knows how to escape them other than the core cast of disillusioned child soldiers that recognize how war and nationalism has ruined their lives.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

wonder egg priority good

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
https://twitter.com/mega64/status/1366403811640680450

the joke at the end got me big time

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Inferno Cop is still my favorite Evangelion finally.

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

KaptainKrunk posted:

At this point in the anime, it's not so much a counter genocide, as a live-fire demonstration of his ability to genocide the entire world. A plot development that has absolutely no relation to things that have happened in Japan, ever. Eldia basically just did Pearl Harbor as well, using a preemptive strike to wipe out Marley's Navy.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I discovered retrocrush which has a bunch of 80s and early 90s anime

I'm watching Demon City Shinjuku (which I remember watching in like 1995 on SciFi's Festival of Anime)

IDK if it's leftist

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

There's Angel Cop where the real enemy is a Jewish conspiracy lol

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Good soup! posted:

There's Angel Cop where the real enemy is a Jewish conspiracy lol

finding out the history of antisemitism in japan began with the army in early 20th century reading the protocols of zion, translated by a virulent antisemite, and in less than a century it spawned a death cult in the form of the aum shinrikyo... just brain rot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anime Adam Curtis