Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

It's good to hear that because America did nothing there were no bombs in Syria. I was kind of under the impression that there was quite a bit of aerial bombing.

Personally I kind of doubt that any level of state involvement by America in Syria would have had a positive effect, but again I kind of don't I feel compelled to correct somebody who saw and smelled the loving corpses on their interpretation of the events in the place. I don't compulsively follow the poo poo the man says online, but what I have heard from him on Iraq and Afghanistan has been overwhelmingly critical. I doubt he was looking for or advocating that sort of behavior in Syria.

American interventionism is bad hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

in case you are unfamiliar, the liberal side of the overton window is to do an imperialism and bombing and couping and genociding and warcriming, but more competently than conservatives would have done it

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

American interventionism is bad hth

The country I spent the most time in outside of America is South Korea and they would probably have a different take than you.

It seems correct to me to say that Assad was worse than Hussein and that Bush hosed up the Iraq invasion. Syria is currently facing foreign intervention from Turkey and Russia among other places. I'm not saying that I agree with that take, but I do understand how somebody with a personal investment in the region might feel that way. Speaking from first-hand experience, when you meet people from a region that's faced present-day state-level violence it's hard to advocate inaction.

Eifert Posting has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Feb 25, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Apparently MSNBC prime time shows are spending like 10 mins each (of 40mins with commercials) whining about Neera not getting her little job LOL

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eifert Posting posted:

The country I spent the most time in outside of America is South Korea and they would probably have a different take than you.
:chloe:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
citing the korean war as a humanitarian success story. lmfao

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No actually that war that killed 3 million civilians and destroyed every city in North Korea was good :downs:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

I don't know poo poo about Bolivia, but the things he's covered that I do know anything about are consistent with my readings. Particularly his takes on Weimar Germany, interwar America, and the invasion of the Ukraine. He's also covered material I'm unfamiliar with but looked into his research on that was more or less unreproachable. I'm skeptical that a CIA asset would publicize the poo poo he's publicized on the Portland protests or the history of the police in America or CIA involvement in Central America or or or or.
the cia has a long history of propganda doing poo poo like this of sprinkling in some confirmation bias to reel people in through non-mainstream outlets
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Free_Europe/Radio_Liberty

the fact that he was not willing to call the obvious fascist military coup in bolivia a coup at the time is an immediate red flag

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"I've spent a lot of time in South Korea. I didn't open any history books while I was there, but people said nice things about America so that whole war was probably for the best"

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

lol

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

It seems correct to me to say that Assad was worse than Hussein and that Bush hosed up the Iraq invasion. Syria is currently facing foreign intervention from Turkey and Russia among other places. I'm not saying that I agree with that take, but I do understand how somebody with a personal investment in the region might feel that way. Speaking from first-hand experience, when you meet people from a region that's faced present-day state-level violence it's hard to advocate inaction.
ive talked with filipino goons who did not realize that america treated the phillipines like an imperialist colony and committed atrocities there before japan invaded it

ive also lived in south korea who gives a poo poo

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dolphin posted:

No actually that war that killed 3 million civilians and destroyed every city in North Korea was good :downs:

The South Koreans sure as poo poo believe this.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Dolphin posted:

Don't forget the military dictatorship SK was saddled with for years afterward.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Judakel posted:

a cia asset would never say some good things i agree with and other bad things i disagree with

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

what is your opinion on obama and clinton bombing libya

THS
Sep 15, 2017

lol why were you in south korea. im guessing you werent a troop because that would be too funny. but if you were, lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

i've heard lincoln fought a war to free the slaves. and hell, i support it

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i f*cking love humanitarian interventionism and the kind of dog brain you need to believe in it

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

where can i get a poll on north korean feelings about american intervention in the korean war

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Philosophically I think it’s possible to make abstract arguments in favor of intervention that hold up academically. But that’s really just professional fart sniffing and ignores the fact that it is fundamentally impossible for the US to intervene in a way that is beneficial because the motives and the goals of US intervention are inherently formed around maintaining imperial hegemony. Don’t ever trust anyone who argues that the intervention could have been done right, because it’s going to be based on some fantasy that the US will value something other than what it always values. That fantasy is based on either naivety or obfuscation

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eifert Posting posted:

Is this what you actually believe

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Yankee go home!"
"Awww, look they like us! They want us to be at home, a good place"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mischievous Mink posted:

Don't forget the military dictatorship SK was saddled with for years afterward.

This was right after the Korean people overthrew their previous CIA backed dictator too. Lmao

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i hate authoritarianism and dictators, and that’s why the world’s hegemonic imperialist power, the greatest purveyor of military violence in existence, previously responsible for murdering millions of koreans, vietnamese, and arabs, needs to step up and intervene for human rights

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

comedyblissoption posted:

what is your opinion on obama and clinton bombing libya

I think it was dumb as hell and served no purpose. Much like us doing poo poo in Syria would have been. I very much believe that intervention in Syria would have gone poorly, particularly with the Bush or Obama administration managing it, but to me there are plausible reasons for someone to feel otherwise that are more believable than ”being paid by the CIA to promote US intervention to super online podcast listeners."

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This was right after the Korean people overthrew their previous CIA backed dictator too. Lmao

If there's one thing I'm the most jealous of South Korea for it's not the infrastructure or the effective national health care, it's the fact that the majority of their presidential level politicians have either killed themselves to avoid arrest or been incarcerated.

Seriously they hold their politicians accountable in a way that we could only dream about.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

Apparently MSNBC prime time shows are spending like 10 mins each (of 40mins with commercials) whining about Neera not getting her little job LOL

lmao and people think you're a conspiracy theorist when you point out that there is synchronized messaging.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

If there's one thing I'm the most jealous of South Korea for it's not the infrastructure or the effective national health care, it's the fact that the majority of their presidential level politicians have either killed themselves to avoid arrest or been incarcerated.

Seriously they hold their politicians accountable in a way that we could only dream about.

if this is leading up to "bomb the poo poo out of america" than ignore everything ive posted. you're right, and I'm right there with you :911:.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

THS posted:

lol why were you in south korea. im guessing you werent a troop because that would be too funny. but if you were, lol

https://www.facebook.com/libertarianguys/

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I taught.

I watched a live broadcast where a Korean congressperson literally kicked another Korean Congress person in the chest. This was maybe my second weekend in the country. We have a lot to learn from them.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any view of US intervention that doesn't begin with the understanding that the US's only motivation is profit is fundamentally stupid as gently caress.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Judakel posted:

lmao and people think you're a conspiracy theorist when you point out that there is synchronized messaging.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think MSNBC has always been this dogshit. It seems way way worse since the Trump era began.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The US only exists at all because a bunch of British dudes wanted a bigger cut of the loot.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think MSNBC has always been this dogshit. It seems way way worse since the Trump era began.

they used to be better but once it began it was simply better for ratings to be lockstep with the party. they did mine some gold during russiagate. not sure about now.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I remember them being slightly better in the early Obama administration, but they've been centrist spokespeople for at least 10 plus years.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

I think it was dumb as hell and served no purpose. Much like us doing poo poo in Syria would have been. I very much believe that intervention in Syria would have gone poorly, particularly with the Bush or Obama administration managing it, but to me there are plausible reasons for someone to feel otherwise that are more believable than ”being paid by the CIA to promote US intervention to super online podcast listeners."

Keep in mind that Robert Evans, Professional Conflict Tourist isn’t taking direct payments from the CIA in exchange for talking points. He’s being paid by Bellingcat and iHeart and taking a paycheck and also editorial oversight and maybe having conversations with more experienced and senior people he trusts.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Quetzadilla posted:

I mean it's perfectly human to have emotions but if that drives your politics instead of materialism then you've hosed up. Also it's one thing for you a nobody to think interventionism is understandable and another for a fuckin pseudo-journo to take wads of state dept cash to boost interventionism. But I don't think Evans is a well-meaning but misguided anarchist or w/e, I think he is a materialist and understands "my job is to push this line so that I get paid" and does not give a gently caress about the outcomes of that for, say, the bolivian people.

E: but also which one of these things Evans is does not actually matter because the effect is the same.

Is Evans the dude who does behind the bastards?

Didn't he film a bunch of blm protesters this past summer and include their faces?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Remember when Olbermann was their big star lmao

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

that's the thing though Evans isn't just some niche figure amongst the super online, he is very popular amongst ostensible leftists and as such would be a very effective propaganda delivery vehicle to erode anti-imperialist thought

and if you don't think the feds have a long and storied interest in attempting to subvert the left in the US, however weak and sad and not actually a threat to US hegemony it may be, well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

Is Evans the dude who does behind the bastards?

Didn't he film a bunch of blm protesters this past summer and include their faces?

Yeah that’s him and yeah he did and I believe he made some kind of “I understand their point but journalism is important so no I won’t stop” kind of response