Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
to be clear tho, gwb did majorly gently caress up the invasion of iraq. tho its more accurate to blame rumsfield. sayin its his greatest crime tho. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Eifert Posting posted:

I think it was dumb as hell and served no purpose. Much like us doing poo poo in Syria would have been. I very much believe that intervention in Syria would have gone poorly, particularly with the Bush or Obama administration managing it, but to me there are plausible reasons for someone to feel otherwise that are more believable than ”being paid by the CIA to promote US intervention to super online podcast listeners."

lol its not a secret these people take money from national endowment for democracy, or from the atlantic council. you can believe that these state dept and nato fronted outfits are all above board, if you are some kind of loving moron. i also posted the article about bellingcat working with british and western intelligence on anti-russia propaganda. the effectiveness of giving these people money is debatable but do you think the US government doesnt fund insane poo poo with all the money they waste? there’s now a growing universe of bellingcat and bellingcat adjacent people that are getting shady funding, have shady connections, and you’re blind to it ultimately because you have incredibly weak views on the subject of US imperialism. the US is the main source of military killing on the planet, and our intelligence agencies are sociopathic, and cooperating with them on any level is fuckin evil

MEGA THREAD RETARD
Jan 26, 2021

by vyelkin
JOURNALISM
▒▒▒▒▒▐███████▌
▒▒▒▒▒▒▐░▀░▀░▀░▌
▒▒▒▒▒▒▐▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▌
▄▀▀▀█▒▐░▀▀▄▀▀░▌▒█▀▀▀▄
▌▌▌▌▐▒▄▌░▄▄▄░▐▄▒▌▐▐▐▐

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

I think it was dumb as hell and served no purpose. Much like us doing poo poo in Syria would have been. I very much believe that intervention in Syria would have gone poorly, particularly with the Bush or Obama administration managing it, but to me there are plausible reasons for someone to feel otherwise that are more believable than ”being paid by the CIA to promote US intervention to super online podcast listeners."
bellingcat is literally this lmao

also invading libya served the purpose of us imperialism

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

BELLINGCAT IS LITERALLY FUNDED BY THE US STATE DEPARTMENT

BELLINGCAT CONSTANTLY SUPPORTS US COUPS AND WARS

hth

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I feel like I'm watching someone jog thru a minefield lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
bellingcat gets news articles printed but brown moses gets 40 likes on his tweets. thats cia

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
lol brown moses. no wonder he hated leftists during the brief period gbs was unmodded

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just wish we could spread democracy everywhere. I hear some of these other countries have migrant influx facilities that were not specifically designed for children!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

to be clear tho, gwb did majorly gently caress up the invasion of iraq. tho its more accurate to blame rumsfield. sayin its his greatest crime tho. lol

I’m not sure that they really did gently caress it up — at least not from the perspective of the people way up on top. The oil has mostly flowed, the US has justified maintaining its presence, regional adversaries have been greatly destabilized. It’s been an endless money sink, sure, but who’s hands has that money gone into? Lots of dead soldiers but not enough to spark Vietnam levels of domestic unrest.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

youre a rube if you think them criticizing the iraq war or poo poo that happened way in the past before bellingcat existed shows their antiimperialist creds or w/e as they are actively currently supporting right-now-us-imperialism it's just lmao

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

obama genocided the people of yemen and obliterated the country of libya, but he opposed the iraq war when he had absolutely no decision making power over it!

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i love this tweet directly after the bolivian military forced evo morales out of office after he won an election

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the iraq war was definitely a massive success. just not from the standpoint of people thinking its purpose was the good of iraq.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I’m not sure that they really did gently caress it up — at least not from the perspective of the people way up on top. The oil has mostly flowed, the US has justified maintaining its presence, regional adversaries have been greatly destabilized. It’s been an endless money sink, sure, but who’s hands has that money gone into? Lots of dead soldiers but not enough to spark Vietnam levels of domestic unrest.

yeah sure, hosed it up with regards to lib paradigm of humanitarian intervention. they could have pulled off a more peaceful occupation, if they so wished

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

THS posted:

i love this tweet directly after the bolivian military forced evo morales out of office after he won an election
of course allende was a tragedy. but morales? well you see *wringing hands*

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Eifert Posting posted:

I taught.

I watched a live broadcast where a Korean congressperson literally kicked another Korean Congress person in the chest. This was maybe my second weekend in the country. We have a lot to learn from them.

lol korea owns

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

my bony fealty posted:

and if you don't think the feds have a long and storied interest in attempting to subvert the left in the US, however weak and sad and not actually a threat to US hegemony it may be, well

This absolutely happens. I just do not see his podcast content as imperialist or supporting intervention in any tactical manner. Even his podcast on Assad had a postscript that was ultimately critical of intervention. The point he made was that previous engagements in the Middle East were so poorly managed and clearly profit oriented that no one would trust or support American involvement even if it actually was altruistic. He never stated that it actually would have been altruistic. Quite the opposite, he's been super critical of Obama's foreign policy.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

comedyblissoption posted:

of course allende was a tragedy. but morales? well you see *wringing hands*

thats how it always goes with these people. condemn something in the past but when the actual thing happens, currently, completely whiff the ball. incredibly cool thing to do while funded by the state dept. its called bravery in journalism

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

This absolutely happens. I just do not see his podcast content as imperialist or supporting intervention in any tactical manner. Even his podcast on Assad had a postscript that was ultimately critical of intervention. The point he made was that previous engagements in the Middle East were so poorly managed and clearly profit oriented that no one would trust or support American involvement even if it actually was altruistic. He never stated that it actually would have been altruistic. Quite the opposite, he's been super critical of Obama's foreign policy.
this is liberal imperialist concern trolling

they constantly make the case for intervention, and then caveat we shouldnt do an intervention...unless??

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

obama genocided the people of yemen and obliterated the country of libya, but he opposed the iraq war when he had absolutely no decision making power over it!

poo poo Biden didn’t even have to disavow it, he just made some weak statement that he voted for it because he secretly opposed it and nobody really cared enough to hold that against him

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Eifert Posting posted:

get better parasocial relationships

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hypothetically a good country that wanted a better world might be able to pull off a humanitarian intervention. liberals believe the united states is this sort of country but we just kinda flub it in an oopsie doodle sort of way

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

HashtagGirlboss posted:

They made billions looting Iraq and american tax payers it was a total success. Everyone associated with planning the invasion got away with it too

THS
Sep 15, 2017

weird that you believe any of that equivocation when evans actually did support a US no fly zone in Syria and thinks invading libya was the only good thing hillary clinton did lmfao. open air slave markets. but you cant imagine how this guy could have views that could ever benefit US imperialism when he is loving PAID BY US IMPERIALISM. and exactly to do poo poo like muddy the water around stuff like the US backed bolivia coup

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dolphin posted:

hypothetically a good country that wanted a better world might be able to pull off a humanitarian intervention. liberals believe the united states is this sort of country but we just kinda flub it in an oopsie doodle sort of way

Yeah it’s impossible to look at the track record and expect anything different. Anyone arguing for US intervention is selling a fantasy, naive or cynical does it really matter?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I mean, I don't know poo poo about Yemen. I don't think the average american knows poo poo about foreign policy / the rest of the world at all.

I assume whoever is opposing Saudi Arabia is always the good guys in any situation, but I don't know anything about the Houthi movement.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Don't forget about this person who did a lot of reporting on the alt right.

Broadly speaking you should be very skeptical of "people who focus most of their attention on 'fighting the far-right/nazis' (or, even worse, focus their attention on foreign 'bad countries')" because it means they're either very dumb or deliberately don't want to actually focus on the people and institutions that hold real power.

It's a kind of clever trick, because you can distract people who otherwise mean well with this sort of thing, and anything said against it can be seen as "carrying water for the far right" or whatever.

edit: For example, if someone doesn't look at the list of episodes from that Behind the Bastards podcast and immediately realize "this deliberately avoids topics that conflict with US foreign policy goals and should be viewed with suspicion" something is deeply wrong. "Limiting focus to only the most convenient topics that don't conflict with government policy/ideology" is one of the oldest tricks in the book for liberals, but a lot of people still naively trust anyone who talks about "fighting foreign dictators" or whatever.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 05:59 on Feb 25, 2021

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
I think that we should permaban Brown Moses if he is not already permabanned

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

this is literally the first hit i get from typing in a search for robert evan's account and the word "intervention" in which robert evans makes the case for obama directly invading syria contrary to your framing of his foreign policy positions

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1111823288332771329

lmao

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll look into it. I don't use Twitter at all so the Social media stuff is new to me.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

THS posted:

bellingcat is sponsored by atlantic council and usaid, which are just fronts for cia, state dept, gulf oil money, nato, etc. evans himself heavily pushed invading syria and was pro bolivian coup against evo morales. these are sick people and the best example of liberal interventionists. the word “op” gets thrown around a lot but everything associated with bellingcat is absolutely an op

sounds like he should get a job at CNN or something

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i expect an apology Eifert Posting

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Torpor posted:

sounds like he should get a job at CNN or something

he should do what i do and work for the russians instead. they dont pay as well but they also dont follow up on how shoddy my work is

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

i expect an apology Eifert Posting

I'm sorry that you have not yet become accustomed to disappointment.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Gulping Again posted:

permaban Brown Moses

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
this bob evans stuff we have to discuss every single month, like he’s no different from every other reporter in the US inventory, I don’t understand the excitement he generates.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i always post this poo poo in the hopes they come by to defend their honor. they have a few times and it’s funny as heck to see people who have posted themselves into their bizarre high profile social media / propaganda jobs feel the need to defend themselves on a forum where half the people have names like cumshitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

The country I spent the most time in outside of America is South Korea and they would probably have a different take than you.

quote:

In the Philippines, drought again brought famine to Negros’s infamous sugar plantations in 1896–97, then returned to devastate agriculture on Luzon, Panay and other big islands from 1899 to 1903. Climate stress was alloyed with warfare, poverty and ecological crisis. Thus the first phase of drought-famine coincided with a national uprising against the Spanish, while the second overlapped patriotic resistance to US recolonization. The independence movement itself, moreover, was spurred by the growing crisis of food security since mid-century, when Spain (prodded by Britain) had launched an ambitious campaign to develop exports and commercialize agriculture. Traditional forms of communal land ownership and subsistence-oriented production had been violently dismantled in favor of rice and sugar monocultures operated by pauperized smallholders and debt-shackled sharecroppers. (Spanish and mestizo hacenderos, like ubiquitous Chinese grain merchants and moneylenders, were merely links in a long chain of exploitation ultimately controlled by distant British and American trading companies.) Moreover, as the export boom generated a demand for new plantation land, Luzon’s interior foothills were rapidly deforested, leading by the 1890s to the silting of river beds, more intense flooding, and gradual aridification of the lowlands.

In addition, as Ken De Bevoise has shown, living standards and public health had been undermined by the ecological chain reaction set in motion by the arrival of the rinderpest virus in the late 1880s. “Arguably the single greatest catastrophe in the nineteenth-century Philippines,” rinderpest killed off most of the draft animals on Luzon and forced farmers to drastically reduce the extent of cultivation, aggravating malnutrition and debt. Meanwhile, “untilled land that returned to scrub or vegetation provided favorable breeding conditions for both locusts and anopheline mosquitos.… In lieu of its preferred blood meals [cattle], A. Minimus blaviorstris increased its human-biting rate, setting off seasonal epidemics that made it difficult for the labor force to work even the reduced amount of agricultural acreage.” Thus debilitated by malaria and impoverished by the loss of their cattle, Filipinos were then exposed to the microbial campfollowers of the invading Spanish and US armies. The 122,000 American troops, especially, brought a whole stream of diseases including hookworm as well as new lethal strains of malaria, smallpox and venereal disease.

The Americans, moreover, exceeded even the cruelest Spanish precedents in manipulating disease and hunger as weapons against an insurgent but weakened population. Beginning with the outbreak of war in February 1899, military authorities closed all the ports, disrupting the vital inter-island trade in foodstuffs and preventing the migration of hungry laborers to food-surplus areas. Then, as drought began to turn into famine in 1900, they authorized the systematic destruction of rice stores and livestock in areas that continued to support guerrilla resistance. As historians would later point out, the ensuing campaign of terror against the rural population, backed up by a pass system and population “reconcentration,” prefigured US strategy in Vietnam during the 1960s. “All palay, rice, and storehouses clearly for use by enemy soldiers,” writes De Bevoise, “were to be destroyed. That plan would have caused hardship for the people even had it been implemented as intended, since guerrillas and civilians often depended on the same rice stockpiles, but the food-denial program got out of hand. Increasingly unsure who was enemy and who was friend, American soldiers on patrol did not agonize over such distinctions. They shot and burned indiscriminately, engaging in an orgy of destruction throughout the Philippines.” As one soldier wrote back home to Michigan: “We burned every house, destroyed every carabao and other animals, all rice and other foods.” As a result, “agricultural production was so generally crippled during the American war that food-surplus regions hardly existed.”

As peasants began to die of hunger in the fall of 1900, American officers openly acknowledged in correspondence that starvation had become official military strategy. “The result is inevitable,” wrote Colonel Dickman from Panay, “many people will starve to death before the end of six months.” On Samar, Brigadier General Jacob Smith ordered his men to turn the interior into a “howling wilderness.” Famine, in turn, paved the way for cholera (which especially favored the reconcentration camps), malaria, smallpox, typhoid, tuberculosis “and everything else that rode in war’s train of evils.” In such circumstances, of course, it was impossible to disentangle the victims of drought from the casualties of warfare, or to clearly distinguish famine from epidemic mortality. Nonetheless, De Bevoise concludes, “it appears that the American war contributed directly and indirectly to the loss of more than a million persons from a base population of about seven million.” In comparative terms, this was comparable to mortality during the Irish famine of the 1840s.

One of the most remarkable local rebellions during the Philippines’ war for independence coincided with the ravages of drought and hunger on Negros. On the big sugar island anti-imperialism fused with stark class conflict between hacenderos and pumuluyo (the common people). The Negrense elites “to protect their interests against increasingly hungry and dissatisfied workers and peasants” ardently sided first with the Spanish, then with the American colonialists. They chose the Sugar Trust rather than Aguinaldo. As arriving US military officals discovered, the protracted drought had made these social tensions volcanic. “The unusual dryness of the season,” wrote the commanding officer of the Manapla and Victorias districts in June 1900, “has operated against the crops … and has materially injured the sugarcane. On this account, many owners of haciendas have been forced to discharge part, if not all, of their laborers as they could not be fed. These laborers are now without means and work and the price of food is high.”

When the explosion came, it merged the grievances of unemployed sugar workers and marginalized peasants with those of aboriginal people displaced from their forests by land-hungry haciendas. The largest uprising was led by a Zapata-like plantation worker and babaylan, Dionisio Sigobela, more popularly known as Papa Isio, who conducted guerrilla warfare against the Guardia Civil, then the US Army, from his base on impenetrable Mt. Kanlaon. The restoration of food security and economic independence were principal goals of the struggle. “Although Papa Isio’s ideology fused animism with anti-Spanish nationalism,” Alfred McCoy explains, “his movement remained a class, rather than racial war, waged by sugar workers determined to destroy the sugar plantations and return the island to peasant rice farming.” In the district around La Carlota, Papa Isio’s followers chased away planters, murdered those that resisted, and burned scores of haciendas. The rebellion was not finally defeated until 1908, “five years after the revolution had ended in most areas of the archipelago.”

___

Taken from "Late Victorian Holocausts: El Niño Famines and the Making of the Third World", by Mike Davis

You people massacred my forebears, occupied my country for half a century, and even today keeps us as a neocolonial outpost as it stokes a new Cold War with the Global South

Go gently caress yourself