Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's still wild that one of the best FF minigames is in FFVIII of all games.

(I mean I love FFVIII unironically but it's funny that Triple Triad is one aspect of it that's almost universally praised out of arcane rule mixing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Triple Triad is actually the mini game in FF14, appearing alongside the primary gameplay: mahjong

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
FFIX probably has one of the most realized casts in the entire franchice. Everyone has a character arc (except for Amarant who's barely around and Quina who does not learn or grow during the story by design).

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 25, 2021

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ff7 had like 10 minigames, and none of them good! :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Isn't the Gold Saucer basically all the minigames the dev team made to practice working with 3D and then they just put them all in there?

I think that would explain Mog House

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Every ff7 mini game was good except the cpr one. Breaking the flow of explore town, combat, story is important in games.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i mean, i like how experimental they are but also Oof some are hella janky

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Blockhouse posted:

FFIX probably has one of the most realized casts in the entire franchice. Everyone has a character arc (except for Amarant who's barely around and Quina who does not learn or grow during the story by design).

I don't disagree that the cast is good, but I don't think Eiko really has much of an arc in terms of character growth. She's still a kinda brat by the end, just that she gets a family. Amarant actually stops being 100% edgy longer.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Booky posted:

i mean, i like how experimental they are but also Oof some are hella janky

Fort Condor, while easy once you know what to do, is borderline incomprehensible visually

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't disagree that the cast is good, but I don't think Eiko really has much of an arc in terms of character growth. She's still a kinda brat by the end, just that she gets a family. Amarant actually stops being 100% edgy longer.

So weird!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

HD DAD posted:

Fort Condor, while easy once you know what to do, is borderline incomprehensible visually

I am looking forward to seeing what the hell they do with it in the Remake

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Sounds like "Ever Crisis" might just be an enhanced PS5 version of FFVIIR with a smattering of new content including a Chapter 19

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Give me Crisis Core you cowards

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's still wild that one of the best FF minigames is in FFVIII of all games.

(I mean I love FFVIII unironically but it's funny that Triple Triad is one aspect of it that's almost universally praised out of arcane rule mixing.)

I know I was really impressed in the detail they put into making every new area unique, memorable, and full of tons of new opponents to take cards from. I mean, you even go to space and play cards with the president.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If there’s a FF8-2 Squall needs to be President. Preferably of the world.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mega64 posted:

If there’s a FF8-2 Squall needs to be President. Preferably of the world.

"President Squall,is it true that we're about to be attacked by pairs of colorecoded aliens that are out to exterminate us?"

".... whatever"

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I am 100% biased, but final fantasy 9 could do with a remake instead of a remaster.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Oh, gently caress no, you know I'm digging my heels in. I'm still mad, I want to like Final Fantasy and it hurts that they don't want me to.

I think people should actually be a little concerned about the part where he said they're aiming to 'support the players less skilled at action games'. Because off the top of my head, that was a mantra of...
-The worst Devil May Cry
-The worst Ninja Gaiden
-The worst Metroid
-Final Fantasy XV, which probably isn't the worst Final Fantasy but sure ain't on the medals podium

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is a while back but I just wanna point out that the very first Devil May Cry had a mode to help you beat it if you weren't good enough to beat any of the regular difficulties and it has been part of every notable entry of that series and of its offspring such as Bayonetta and Rising Revengeance and even NieR: Automata. Being accessible is not only baseline standard game feature in 2021, it has been part of those games DNA since creation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean they arent putting accessibility features in the game out of some noble love for mankind, its so they can sell the game to people who dont know how to do stinger

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also while it's kinda nice they put such features in the game, it doesn't actually make the game more fun. You just get to suck a lot and still win, anyway.

I'd prefer to just watch an LP of game like Revengeance or FFVIIR rather than spend money and time on a game I can't really enjoy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Enjoying a game for story over gameplay isn't exactly uncommon for Final Fantasy.

E: Or even just like as a way to play rpgs or other story heavy games in general. The easier difficulty options in action games is so that people can still do that.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 25, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Accessibility options are for more than people who suck at games.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Kind of annoyed that FF7 Remake Ever Crisis has features I wanted in the base game like Boss Select. I'm not buying a PS5 just for that Oh well. Gimme the part 2 news, pls.

ApplesandOranges posted:

She gets a family AND becomes brave enough to explore the world without Mog as a safety net. Not bad for a six-year-old.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I saw that leak, and it said the game was releasing on April 10th 2021. A Saturday?

I say take that leak with a boulder of salt.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

PS5 port of FF7R but the door texture remains fuzzy

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

PS5 port of FF7R but the door texture remains fuzzy

They should make them worse, as a gently caress you to people complaining about it. Enjoy your 128x64 door textures.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Quina does grow, s/he went on a journey to find new foods and s/he succeeded, making them a better gourmand. S/he also shows up to help Zidane during his "I want to die" arc so s/he obviously has grown close to the party (even if they don't necessarily share the same sentiments) since s/he didn't run off distracted by a new thing s/he could potentially eat.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Twelve by Pies posted:

Quina does grow, s/he went on a journey to find new foods and s/he succeeded, making them a better gourmand. S/he also shows up to help Zidane during his "I want to die" arc so s/he obviously has grown close to the party (even if they don't necessarily share the same sentiments) since s/he didn't run off distracted by a new thing s/he could potentially eat.

Plus s/he has the line when they're cooking during the ending about how important it is to cook with heart when you're cooking for friends, which always seemed really sweet to me.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Quina also got to eat a gently caress ton of frogs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yuffie

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am so loving stoked for Yuffie mode

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Free upgrade is good! Looks very substantial and should make the game find its true feet.

Really glad the Yuffie content seems like it's separate to the main game flow. The last thing FF7R needs is more padding.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Leak was fake.

Is the guy with Yuffie a new character or from some obscure side game?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RatHat posted:

Leak was fake.

Is the guy with Yuffie a new character or from some obscure side game?
sonon? hes new.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Also what dip poo poo asked for Weiss the Immaculate from DoC???

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
isn't that guy at the end of the trailer one of the dudes from Dirge of Cerberus

edit:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Weiss the Immaculate from DoC???

yeah that one!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean ff7r already explicitly said 'deepground exists btw' in a couple places so it seemed like they were gonna loop dirge of cerberus stuff in eventually

and frankly im all for it. if youre gonna veer from original ff7, you might as well go all in. NOT including weiss the immaculate would be the coward's move

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you're adding anyone from extended FF7 related media, you add Donald Duck IMO.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah as soon as Deepground came up I assumed all the extended universe was going to come into play. We're diving into the deep end here.

I'm really excited for the Yuffie DLC and also it's cool that there's going to be a totally new, likely-playable character there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1365069647272378368

100 SOLDIERs are dropped from a plane