Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

20 Blunts posted:

i just caught an "epic fails" video scrolling facebook....what is this these people just dumped off the flatbed?

Looks like some kind of custom welded metal gate to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Looks like some kind of custom welded metal gate to me

Looks like a fixture to me, but that's cause I've done a lot of work with fixtures. Maybe a lift or rotisserie. The box on the side seems to have pumps or valves or something, too low res to tell.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Just a normal day of shooting on a Michael Bay film, nothing to see here!
https://twitter.com/FilmFreeway/status/1364448218067656707

Well, some folks beg to differ!
https://twitter.com/CalvinStarnesOG/status/1364742901998084098

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
yeah that white panel there on the right, kinda looks like a plow, that is actually some kind of cover that fell open as the whole thing fell.

its really bothering me because we went to a lot of flea markets/antique shows growing up and i know ive seen one before and been told what it is

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Jet Jaguar posted:

Uh, that stuntman running away from the spinning cop car definitely got run over by the ambulance...?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

20 Blunts posted:

yeah that white panel there on the right, kinda looks like a plow, that is actually some kind of cover that fell open as the whole thing fell.

its really bothering me because we went to a lot of flea markets/antique shows growing up and i know ive seen one before and been told what it is

Pusherbot?

Seriously: It looks like some type of industrial jig or lift.

Arson.jpg

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Uh, that stuntman running away from the spinning cop car definitely got run over by the ambulance...?

I think we just changed the thread title but this would be a really good one

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/tp6pjpg.mp4

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, but he got run over in a controlled but dangerous-looking fashion.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

About half way through I got the vibe that this was a regular thing for him and it would turn out OK. Before then, it was :stonk:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Jet Jaguar posted:

I've been in the film industry for 22 years and Michael Bay should be boiled in oil and have his fat sold for soap for posting something like this and trying to spin it in a positive light three days after the anniversary of production assistant Sarah Jones' death on the set of Midnight Rider. loving idiot.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 25, 2021

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Dillbag posted:

I've been in the film industry for 22 years and Michael Bay should be boiled in oil and have his fat sold for soap for posting something like this and trying to spin it in a positive light three days after the anniversary of production assistant Sarah Jones' death on the set of Midnight Rider. loving idiot.

I'm sure he posted it to try and get some spin on it before it was seen without his comment. He should be banned from directing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

starkebn posted:

I'm sure he posted it to try and get some spin on it before it was seen without his comment. He should be banned from directing.

I went to see the first showing off zombieland in my college town. The theater was packed. One of the previews was for the remake of The Wolfman. When text appeared saying "a Michael Bay film" the theater was evenly split between groans and laughter, but basically everyone reacted. It's become the the first thing I think of when I hear his name, because it sums up what he is: a bad joke.

And that's before you get to the osha part.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
It's very sad that woman died filming Midnight Rider. There's a pretty macabre history with the Allman Bros in general, they're kinda osha. Their manager stabbed and killed a promoter on their first tour. He got off on insanity but died in a skydiving accident in 1979. And then Duane Allman died crashing his motorcycle. And then the bassist Barry Oakley died on a motorcycle a year later, three blocks from where Duane died. Their other drummer killed himself at age 70, apparently in financial ruin.

I jammed with a guy once who jammed a lot with Gregg Allman's son; still waiting to drop dead over here

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I really enjoy watching his channel, I've learned so much from watching him. He's engaging, clearly spoken, avoids all the affectations which make so many other 'creatives' insufferable to watch and really knows his poo poo.

But good lord that man really has an old school view of safety. "Get the job done quick, doesn't matter how, just do it!" was how he was trained and he still has so many bad habits.

But I'll keep watching him.

I get why he does it though, having made his career in the film and television industry. Working in those sorts of production environments, with the insane deadlines placed on them, you have no option but to go as fast as possible and cut corners. Sucks, but when you have a deadline that often incurs monetary penalties if exceeded, you just get it drilled into you to get things done.

In my short stint at an animation studio, for most of the projects we worked on any day we worked beyond the deadline indicated in the contract, not only was the company not getting any more money than initially agreed upon in the contract, they would be dinged $10k each day past the deadline.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

On that notion I've thought about it recently and I'm not sure I like Electroboom as a channel so much any more. I feel like his getting zapped constantly schtick overly trivializes electrical risks, even while he's explaining root causes. I'll still keep watching him too

He clearly knows his poo poo and and is an expert, but I just don't like how he presents himself and just messing around and nearly killing himself, even if he isn't really nearly killing himself.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like him a lot and think he's a net good because even if he jokes around and pretends to get electrocuted, that's a lot more fun than just dryly talking about electrical safety and so a lot more people are gonna watch him and learn things.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dillbag posted:

Lol first time I heard of that dude I was like, wow I didn’t know it was possible to ruin transformers but here we are. :v:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Lol first time I heard of that dude I was like, wow I didn’t know it was possible to ruin transformers but here we are. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKCZttlAj1E

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Donut filler or stigmata machine?

https://i.imgur.com/8F8x27q.mp4

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Just two pumps, huh...

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I really enjoy watching his channel, I've learned so much from watching him. He's engaging, clearly spoken, avoids all the affectations which make so many other 'creatives' insufferable to watch and really knows his poo poo.

But good lord that man really has an old school view of safety. "Get the job done quick, doesn't matter how, just do it!" was how he was trained and he still has so many bad habits.

But I'll keep watching him.

EDIT: But he has nothing on Colin Furze.

Sometimes I think of that beach hut he built under the sand and just shudder.

He’s got the worst combination of engineer brain and artist brain. I’ve worked for people like that and I would rather not again. E.g. I’d work for someone like Jamie Hyneman for a fraction of the salary I’d ask for from Adam, because what Adam paid would have to cover my funeral too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is a couple pages back but I didn't see anyone respond to this, but what the gently caress is happening here?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

sigher posted:

This is a couple pages back but I didn't see anyone respond to this, but what the gently caress is happening here?

Fake I assume. Hidden tube between their fingers and running up the back of their hand maybe? They're holding it kinda awkwardly

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
Another way it could work is that the nozzle is functioning a bit like a jet engine, with the flame causing a flow of air through the system that drags more air in to it, although I shudder at the fuel-air mixture needed for that to be remotely plausible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

Another way it could work is that the nozzle is functioning a bit like a jet engine, with the flame causing a flow of air through the system that drags more air in to it, although I shudder at the fuel-air mixture needed for that to be remotely plausible.

Ah, a Bussard ramjet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Vindolanda posted:

He’s got the worst combination of engineer brain and artist brain. I’ve worked for people like that and I would rather not again. E.g. I’d work for someone like Jamie Hyneman for a fraction of the salary I’d ask for from Adam, because what Adam paid would have to cover my funeral too.

Jamie also has terrible ideas. Like when they tried to do that "soldiers marching across a bridge" myth, I think it was Jamie's idea to use that terrible pneumatic thing that never worked. At least his terrible ideas don't nearly get people killed though I guess.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Thought we'd save a few bucks and have the network guy fix it, dunno what the big deal is.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I get why he does it though, having made his career in the film and television industry. Working in those sorts of production environments, with the insane deadlines placed on them, you have no option but to go as fast as possible and cut corners. Sucks, but when you have a deadline that often incurs monetary penalties if exceeded, you just get it drilled into you to get things done.

In my short stint at an animation studio, for most of the projects we worked on any day we worked beyond the deadline indicated in the contract, not only was the company not getting any more money than initially agreed upon in the contract, they would be dinged $10k each day past the deadline.

You could make an entire new film/TV only OSHA thread tbh. I just got off a call with my dad, who has Parkinson's, who was just updating me on an old industry friend of his, who has just been diagnosed with Parkinson's; just like another friend of theirs who died of complications related to Parkinson's just last year... I'm not sure if there's a proven link between developing colour film and Parkinson's, but anecdotally, a lot of photographers and cameramen seem to get it.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

small ghost posted:

You could make an entire new film/TV only OSHA thread tbh. I just got off a call with my dad, who has Parkinson's, who was just updating me on an old industry friend of his, who has just been diagnosed with Parkinson's; just like another friend of theirs who died of complications related to Parkinson's just last year... I'm not sure if there's a proven link between developing colour film and Parkinson's, but anecdotally, a lot of photographers and cameramen seem to get it.

That's your example of OSHA in the film industry? I don't think there's even a suggested link, unless they are using lead in their film development.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Cojawfee posted:

Jamie also has terrible ideas. Like when they tried to do that "soldiers marching across a bridge" myth, I think it was Jamie's idea to use that terrible pneumatic thing that never worked. At least his terrible ideas don't nearly get people killed though I guess.

Terrible ideas, sure, but out of the two it’s night and day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Adam did get a taste of his own zany medicine when the supporting cast did that ancient battery thing but hooked it up to an electric fence module and had him touch it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

EasilyConfused posted:

That's your example of OSHA in the film industry? I don't think there's even a suggested link, unless they are using lead in their film development.

I mean it's not my only example lol, it just pinged in my brain because I'd just been talking to my dad about it. There's definitely been a suggested link - it occasionally gets referred to as "the photographer's disease", and there's solvents used in some kinds of colour processing that have been implicated in Parkinson's studies before.

Film development itself is pretty OSHA, or it definitely used to be. Developing colour 35mm in the '60s for sure meant a bunch of lads pranking each other with unpleasant chemicals in unventilated total darkness lol.

I guess if you want classic OSHA he almost drowned filming a documentary on an oil rig once because the producer lied and said the camera crew were all dive certified?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Cojawfee posted:

Adam did get a taste of his own zany medicine when the supporting cast did that ancient battery thing but hooked it up to an electric fence module and had him touch it.

And if I recall correctly he was really, really pissed about it. :ironicat:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Alien Arcana posted:

And if I recall correctly he was really, really pissed about it. :ironicat:

lmao hyeah i haven't watched Mythbusters in years but one thing I remember is that meltdown

youtube comments say the producer put em up to it, and was fired not long after. so yeah in that Michael Bay category of douchebag

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 25, 2021

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

20 Blunts posted:

lmao hyeah i haven't watched Mythbusters in years but one thing I remember is that meltdown

I think it was pretty justified. Electricity through your heart is bad news.

He might not be safety conscious, but he's not forcing anyone else to use a lathe dangerously (although he is probably setting a bad example for people who watch his channel)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Still counts.

:smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Michael Bay directed the Aaron Burr "Got Milk?" ad so at least he's got that going for him.