Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

AnoHito posted:

OTOH, gently caress the Sapphire Guard.

Specifically, gently caress the Sapphire Guard before O-Chul became part of it, when it was basically just a roving band of bloodthirsty marauders who were above the law.

I mean, they were exclusively nobility until that point, which itself speaks to how Soon viewed honor vs what makes honorable people in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ikanreed posted:

I mean, they were exclusively nobility until that point, which itself speaks to how Soon viewed honor vs what makes honorable people in the real world.

Maybe, maybe not. There was a 47 year stretch between when Soon died and "now." It's entirely possible the role of the Sapphire Guard was perverted between Soon's death and when O'Chul arrived to act as a commoner counterweight to the organization. (O'Chul patreon backer story spoiler)

That being said, Soon was probably a douchebag.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

On the other hand, the fact that his ghost went fairly easy on Miko (instead of going on a tirade about just how massively she hosed everything up) would probably indicate that he’d mellowed out by the end of his life.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No, Soon said "Do it!" when someone else (the wizard guy?) said "but you and Kraagor are too close!" or something. So yeah, you're right

Also here's the page https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Every single time I read that page I can’t help but fixate on the typo that has yet to be fixed.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regalingualius posted:

On the other hand, the fact that his ghost went fairly easy on Miko (instead of going on a tirade about just how massively she hosed everything up) would probably indicate that he’d mellowed out by the end of his life.

Or after it, at least. Guy had plenty of time to reflect and do basically nothing else, if his soul remained in the mortal realm instead of passing on until after Miko broke the gate.

Which, tangent, makes me wonder what he thought watching how Shojo ran things, assuming he could see it and all.

Edit: Also, the page after the one linked above mentions Soon forming the guard from the "noblest samurai", and since Azure City samurai are of the caste rather than the class (the D&D class, I mean; maybe I should have said social class rather than RPG class), that would support the "no commoners until O'Chul" thing.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 23, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Maybe, maybe not. There was a 47 year stretch between when Soon died and "now."

That being said, Soon was probably a douchebag.

Clearly didn't hold a grudge as well as Draketooth though.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Lucas Archer posted:

Every single time I read that page I can’t help but fixate on the typo that has yet to be fixed.

That reminds me, I've always kind of wondered how many people caught the bloodwart/bloodwort thing, and how many assumed it was a typo Rich was lazy about.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lucas Archer posted:

Reading this comic must be painful for you, then :v:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

Clearly didn't hold a grudge as well as Draketooth though.

I mean draketooth composed that message less than a month of retiring to his own gate. Maybe he just forgot to dispel it and the drat thing sat waiting all these years?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Donkringel posted:

I mean draketooth composed that message less than a month of retiring to his own gate. Maybe he just forgot to dispel it and the drat thing sat waiting all these years?

It did. Draketooth never removed it. Draketooth also taught his family to never, ever accept a resurrection from anyone who was Lawful Good.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

I don't know how long it took before I realized that Kraagor wasn't turned to stone by the spell.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lucas Archer posted:

I can't even find it looking. :v:

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Acerbatus posted:

I can't even find it looking. :v:

Look at each speech bubble.

Read excatly what each one says.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Parahexavoctal posted:

Look at each speech bubble.

Read excatly what each one says.
Don't be coy and make us play Where's Waldo.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

PMush Perfect posted:

Don't be coy and make us play Where's Waldo.

I think he's being excatly as up-front as he needs to be

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
"excatly" in panel 7, but before I found that one I found "villian" in panel 5. Maybe Girard just isn't very good at spelling, which is ironic for a sorcerer with dragon blood.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Maybe it's foreshadowing that Soon Kim is now a cat.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

I really love O-Chul.

My personal theory is that O-chul is going to be the one who ultimately, if indirectly, defeats Xykon. My guess is that the MitD is going to turn on him at the critical moment and it's gonna be because of Mr. Stiffly.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Roy has to stab the bad lich. I mean he has to. Pretty sure it's in the paperwork he had to sign to get this gig.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

:siren:
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1227.html

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's the closest we're gonna get to troll sex

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

You know, I'm not sure we've ever seen trolls in the comic before.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I can't believe someone would troll sirini like that

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I know we've seen trolls at least once before but drat if I can remember when they appeared.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

We've seen aquatic trolls

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, man, getting your ear pierced as a troll must be really difficult.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sirtommygunn posted:

I know we've seen trolls at least once before but drat if I can remember when they appeared.

Sea Trolls attacked the boat

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Also, man, getting your ear pierced as a troll must be really difficult.

You use a hollow needle and install the earrings through them

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
how much damage does an epic rogue do with a quarterstaff against a helpless target?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

jsoh posted:

how much damage does an epic rogue do with a quarterstaff against a helpless target?

1d4 shame damage, plus her elderly modifier because she's giving a lesson.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

reignofevil posted:

Roy has to stab the bad lich. I mean he has to. Pretty sure it's in the paperwork he had to sign to get this gig.

I'm not so sure.

I feel like the fight against Durkula kind of served as the capstone of the "Roy has to show that a dedicated fighter can take on an undead spellcaster that theoretically far outstrips them" storyline. I've no idea how exactly the final confrontation with Xykon will look, but Roy has proven what he set out to prove, and there are a lot of other storylines also bound up in Xykon's ultimate fate, like Redcloak's and the MitD's.

E: Also O-Chul already workin his magic. Lien needs to step up her game.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 25, 2021

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah O-Chul is I think going to wear down Serini's deep mistrust of paladins by just being so god damned REASONABLE

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I have a feeling the very next page will be the reveal of Serini's orange-bubbled friend, who is highly likely to be a monster.

I also have a feeling that Serini is going to be amenable to the goblins' plight and TDO's plan, if not necessarily Redcloak's way of going about it.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Shugojin posted:

Yeah O-Chul is I think going to wear down Serini's deep mistrust of paladins by just being so god damned REASONABLE

She sure af didn't expect him to figure out the actual reason the trolls saved her at the very least.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
O-Chul was a fighter before he was a paladin, right? He must have a hell of a stat spread. Like Roy.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

"Lying to Paladins" is such a frequent punchline in the comic, but it never gets old to me.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Geocities Homepage King posted:

O-Chul was a fighter before he was a paladin, right? He must have a hell of a stat spread. Like Roy.

Yeah, he was a (O'Chul story spoiler) member of the Azure City military before he became a paladin. In fact, his insight regarding the trolls is quite similar to his entire backer story.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm not so sure.

I feel like the fight against Durkula kind of served as the capstone of the "Roy has to show that a dedicated fighter can take on an undead spellcaster that theoretically far outstrips them" storyline. I've no idea how exactly the final confrontation with Xykon will look, but Roy has proven what he set out to prove, and there are a lot of other storylines also bound up in Xykon's ultimate fate, like Redcloak's and the MitD's.

E: Also O-Chul already workin his magic. Lien needs to step up her game.

Roy's story is more wrapped up in his fighter grandfather and his dead ghost dad, sure Roy told his dad off pretty good but this whole thing is just a catalyst for the moment Eugene Greenhilt has to admit he's grateful that another human being exists and that it didn't require knowing how to cast fireball to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Geocities Homepage King posted:

He's mostly fighter, he doesn't have enough Paladin levels for a mount. Statwise we know he has lovely charisma, he called it his dump stat. According to Rich he's able to make friends with people as easily as he does and do things like get along with MitD via things like diplomacy skill ranks to compensate for the lovely CHR. "Skill ranks. It didn't come naturally, he had to work at it."

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 25, 2021