Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Meme Poker Party posted:

Wow, I don’t remember that part! May have to rewatch.

To be clear here, I'm not talking about the lizards. By "it" I meant the statement you made. The boobs of that true statement are enormous.

You might not be able to perceive The Tidd of Truth *adjusts glasses* but you can rest assured

Anyways River City Ransom Underground was very good and so was River City Girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

is river city girls actually like licensed or what, somehow i thought it was basically a fan game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

is river city girls actually like licensed or what, somehow i thought it was basically a fan game

Completely licensed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anybody who likes the river city games should check out The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa. It's like you took 'em slapped em with the Sarte and Shenmue stick and sent them out into the world. It's unabashedly my favorite video game of all time. It's a game a bunch of people are gonna bounce from, but I think it's worth a shot

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah it's completely licensed, just like RCRU, and includes a lot of input from the guy who made RCRU. The reason it looks different than a lot of people were used to is because it's based on the style used for a sequel called Shin Nekketsu Kōha: Kunio-tachi no Banka, which wasn't released in NA.

Basically at this point the world used for RCR is a wild sprawling collection of nonsense but it's okay because what matters is the gameplay and general style, not coherency

Gaius Marius posted:

Anybody who likes the river city games should check out The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa. It's like you took 'em slapped em with the Sarte and Shenmue stick and sent them out into the world. It's unabashedly my favorite video game of all time. It's a game a bunch of people are gonna bounce from, but I think it's worth a shot

Well, I keep seeing this on the Switch eshop and I was always really wary of it from video but I suppose I should try it

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I never made the dumb as gently caress claim that every episode of Star Trek is great and thought-provoking sci-fi. You on the other hand made tried to use 40K for contrast against Star Trek, saying they differ so heavily on the basis of Star Trek having parts that ignore sci-fi, while 40K "revels" in being sci-fi. You used this as a point of differentiation, despite 40K being so "fantasy with power armor and spaceships" that 100+ dollar models can be used in both 40K and Age of Sigmar, and them having demons. All of what I've given you here are glaring counterexamples.

There is exactly one type of situation where a tu quoque argument is good, and that's when using counterexamples against a claim that things are very different in a way that the counterexamples are relevant. This is that type of situation.

QuarkJets posted:

You've misinterpreted what my view is. I'm saying that the worst examples of not-thought-provoking sci-fi exist within Star Trek, not that the entirety of Star Trek is that way

The contrast between 40k and Star Trek was about genre inclusion versus genre escape. "These are wizards, but in space" can still be sci-fi despite wizards normally appearing in fantasy. That basically describes Jedi, it really depends on what you do with them. "We put giant cathedrals on top of a massive robot" is not thought-provoking sci-fi but it's still sci-fi.

Star Trek sometimes has genre inclusion. TOS has the Enterprise meeting the Greek God Apollo, but the episode remains firmly rooted in sci-fi because of how it is written. But sometimes the series uses genre escape, probably because the writers are being ordered to reuse spare props and costumes from a different set, and those episodes tend to be really bad. I'm not aware of any 40k fiction that completely departs from the setting like Star Trek tends to

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

The contrast between 40k and Star Trek was about genre inclusion versus genre escape. "These are wizards, but in space" can still be sci-fi despite wizards normally appearing in fantasy. That basically describes Jedi, it really depends on what you do with them. "We put giant cathedrals on top of a massive robot" is not thought-provoking sci-fi but it's still sci-fi.

Star Trek sometimes has genre inclusion. TOS has the Enterprise meeting the Greek God Apollo, but the episode remains firmly rooted in sci-fi because of how it is written. But sometimes the series uses genre escape, probably because the writers are being ordered to reuse spare props and costumes from a different set, and those episodes tend to be really bad. I'm not aware of any 40k fiction that completely departs from the setting like Star Trek tends to

That's very interesting

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Well, I keep seeing this on the Switch eshop and I was always really wary of it from video but I suppose I should try it

In all honesty it shares very little DNA with the Kunio kun games except a shred of inspiration, but I'm desperate to get people to try it out. If it hits I guarantee it'll hit. It's a game about finding what matters to you in the world. Finding purpose, and the end of adolescence. Written with such a palpable sense of Ennui and Existential dread that you know it came from a Russian. If we can measure art by the reaction it evokes in the viewer, I can say I've never seen a game that's left me with such a sense of hollowness before, It's true art in every sense of the word.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Basically the entire point of 40k is the ridiculous clash of aesthetics between lasers and swords and chainsaw swords, it's literally an entire franchise of Star Trek gangster planet episodes

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gaius Marius posted:

In all honesty it shares very little DNA with the Kunio kun games except a shred of inspiration, but I'm desperate to get people to try it out. If it hits I guarantee it'll hit. It's a game about finding what matters to you in the world. Finding purpose, and the end of adolescence. Written with such a palpable sense of Ennui and Existential dread that you know it came from a Russian. If we can measure art by the reaction it evokes in the viewer, I can say I've never seen a game that's left me with such a sense of hollowness before, It's true art in every sense of the word.

Video games as art???

Hell yeah.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Basically the entire point of 40k is the ridiculous clash of aesthetics between lasers and swords and chainsaw swords, it's literally an entire franchise of Star Trek gangster planet episodes

dont forget the missile launcher pipe organ and the medieval knights with mecha

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I spent about 6 hours playing GTA online today and I feel awful

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, the only good Warhams books are the Ciaphas Caine ones. It's Sam Wimes from Discworld in the grimdark future. Only ever read one of the books tho.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

star trek and warhammer 40k are extremely similar in that they are both, in their own way, compelling settings for speculative fiction that have resulted in 0 good video games despite multiple attempts over decades

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Katamari Democracy posted:

I spent about 6 hours playing GTA online today and I feel awful

it takes so long to do the simplest tasks :negative:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Earwicker posted:

star trek and warhammer 40k are extremely similar in that they are both, in their own way, compelling settings for speculative fiction that have resulted in 0 good video games despite multiple attempts over decades

Star Trek Online had surprisingly good ship to ship combat and I had fun customizing my crew but at the same time you're absolutely correct about this

My enjoyment of video games has improved since I stopped playing games where the way to make it fun is to play outside the intent. STO was basically only made fun for me by considering it to be the same style as Saints Row, using a cutlass and dropkicking a cybernetic t-rex, dressing up all my crew like they're on shore leave, etc. It would be really cool to have a genuinely good Star Trek game but I think that based on recent movies and TV shows it would just be a big adventure with not a lot of introspection or anything like that. That could be a really cool game too but they'd need to commit to it hard and not try to bundle in expectations of the story that they only halfway fulfill.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Quote-Unquote posted:

I completed Witcher 3 on the hardest difficulty and it's probably the only game I've ever done that in because the combat was actually fun.

I bet i had much more fun playing on easy and negating the worst part of the game as much as possible

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Earwicker posted:

It makes sense that Star Trek doesn't have good games since it doesn't focus on the action (at least the good Star Trek doesn't). But W40K not having good games is indefensible. Just license the Red Faction Guerrilla engine or something.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
there are a bunch of good 40k games? There's a lot of trash ones, but there's DoW1-2, Space Marine and Mechanicus at least for ones that most people agree are pretty good

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I know what he means though there isn't really an outstanding 10/10 Warhammer game, just a lot of middling trash and a handful of competent efforts.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Earwicker posted:

birth of the federation was good

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I know of at least 2 good warhammer 40k videogames :colbert:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I know what he means though there isn't really an outstanding 10/10 Warhammer game, just a lot of middling trash and a handful of competent efforts.

I mean there isn't like a Half-Life level masterpiece but I think DoW2 is really great and I know a lot of people think DoW1 is too

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There was that turn based strategy game for the PC in the 90s for 40k that I don't remember being amazing but I do remember the live action cutscenes being incredible

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Just don't play Eternal Crusade

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Caesar Saladin posted:

The bosses are designed to be fought 1 on 1.

I don't really care either way, I'm poo poo at souls games but love them, maybe you're right that I haven't really finished them.

But this point here is dumb as all gently caress, FROM literally designed the summon mechanic into their game. To say "they're designed to be done solo" is just objectively and obviously not true, lol. They very VERY clearly designed them to be fought solo, or as a pair, because when they designed them, they were definitely aware of the summon mechanic that they also designed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Earwicker posted:

DOW1: Dark Crusade was good, even without the popularity of the setting behind it that game stood as a good RTS for its era. I guess technically it was an expansion but I think it was standalone, as in you could play it without owning the base game of DOW1

DOW2 was also quite good

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
WH40K Space Marine was alright, a perfectly 7/10 game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

!Klams posted:

I don't really care either way, I'm poo poo at souls games but love them, maybe you're right that I haven't really finished them.

But this point here is dumb as all gently caress, FROM literally designed the summon mechanic into their game. To say "they're designed to be done solo" is just objectively and obviously not true, lol. They very VERY clearly designed them to be fought solo, or as a pair, because when they designed them, they were definitely aware of the summon mechanic that they also designed.

Aren't several boss encounters specifically themed around friendly NPCs who you can summon to help you with them, like the scorpion guy and gal?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Aren't several boss encounters specifically themed around friendly NPCs who you can summon to help you with them, like the scorpion guy and gal?

Yes, and some NPCs can show up for multiple bosses. I'm not certain but there may actually be more fights with optional NPC summons than not.

In each game there's even a multiplayer covenant that gives rewards based on helping people kill bosses enough times. It's a pretty core mechanic to the series

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

QuarkJets posted:

Yes, and some NPCs can show up for multiple bosses. I'm not certain but there may actually be more fights with optional NPC summons than not.

In each game there's even a multiplayer covenant that gives rewards based on helping people kill bosses enough times. It's a pretty core mechanic to the series

Yeah, like, to say it's "designed" to be played solo is just totally wrong.

I guess the point trying to be made is more like, "by giving you the option of making it easier on yourself, you haven't experienced the full gamut of what the game has to offer unless you also take the solo version" which like, yeah, I mean, I guess, but surely a more accurate take is that unless you've finished the game with a bunch of different builds you haven't finished a souls game? Like there's more to see with equipment than there is with 'gitting gud'?

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I find the tough guy thing about being good at video games really boring and kind of sad. It's like someone bragging that they can put together a jigsaw puzzle really well. Who gives a gently caress man it's a hobby not an achievement.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

dads_work_files posted:

I find the tough guy thing about being good at video games really boring and kind of sad. It's like someone bragging that they can put together a jigsaw puzzle really well. Who gives a gently caress man it's a hobby not an achievement.

Tell that to the people who are millionaires because they are good at videogames

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I do frequently but they don't reply to my YouTube comments for some reason

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

dads_work_files posted:

I do frequently but they don't reply to my YouTube comments for some reason

Maybe if you were nicer and weren't calling them boring and sad you'd have more positive engagements

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Aye sorry, I suppose we in the jigsaw puzzle community are known for our toxic behaviour. You know what they say, spend enough time looking at a picture cut into pieces and you end up in pieces yourself.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
This got weirdly dark

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

dads_work_files posted:

if someone can slam together 1500 piece puzzles fast and efficiently they deserve to brag

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Workaday Wizard posted:

Shadow of the Colossus is a loving masterpiece.

Journey is awesome and the moment you realize that the random characters you meet are actual human players it loving blew my mind.
I wish more games would have that feature (please post other games that do the same).

I liked both a lot on release, but I tried to play the Shadow of Colossus remaster and got stuck at the first wall because there was no indication about what I could and could not climb and the controls were aggressively dated so I'm happy just to leave my happy memories of it in 2005 or whenever it was.

I also played the Katamari Damacy remaster recently and that's held up better, but sometimes I can't believe I put up with the janky bullshit videogames would pull from around 1996 to maybe about 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I bet i had much more fun playing on easy and negating the worst part of the game as much as possible

Not sure how playing on easy negates crafting and inventory management, which are the worst things in any game that features them.