Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

credburn posted:

I'm looking for a kind of sandbox game where I can have a bunch of dudes who level up and maybe I have a home base or something. But not a base-builder or survival game like, say, Rimworld and such.

Something along the lines of:

Battle Brothers
X-Com / Xenonauts
Mount and Blade

Someone suggested Battle for Wesnoth, a game I've attempted to enjoy about once a year since the year 2000 or something. I just can't get into it.

Tactics games aren't specificallywhat I'm looking for, but they often scratch the itch. But I've already played:

Final Fantasy Tactics / Advace / A2
Ogre Battle
Disgaea
Fell Seal
Kenshi might stray slightly into base-builder/survival but I think you can tweak the difficulty in a fairly modular manner to minimise that, and it supports a variety of playstyles so you can just not get deep into that stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Any good strategy games/wargames (preferably turn based) with massive ordninance? I wanna nuke cities or blow up a planet with a strike from orbit. Major firepower.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kvlt! posted:

Any good strategy games/wargames (preferably turn based) with massive ordninance? I wanna nuke cities or blow up a planet with a strike from orbit. Major firepower.
Non turn based but Planetary Annihilation lets you smash planets with other planets and some planets are lasers.

e: and stellaris with the apocalypse dlc has planet crackers, but they're endgame content.

e2: Planetfall is turn based, very fun, and has various doomsday weapons but again they're endgame tech options

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 25, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kvlt! posted:

if you don't mind old games there still isn't much that compares to Planet Busters in Alpha Centauri

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Splicer posted:

Non turn based but Planetary Annihilation lets you smash planets with other planets and some planets are lasers.

e: and stellaris with the apocalypse dlc has planet crackers, but they're endgame content.

e2: Planetfall is turn based, very fun, and has various doomsday weapons but again they're endgame tech options

Thank you for the recs, all of these look amazing (I hope my computer can run PA, that looks like exactly what I want)

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if you don't mind old games there still isn't much that compares to Planet Busters in Alpha Centauri

I've been meaning to try AC for a while. Is there a reccomended open source version like FreeCiv or should I just buy a copy of the game itself?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you for the recs, all of these look amazing (I hope my computer can run PA, that looks like exactly what I want)
If you like the look of stellaris hold off a month or so, there's a big economy rework and dlc coming so it will definitely be on sale. If you enjoy PA I recommend bullying a friend into picking up a copy as it's even more fun co-op (I used to play a bunch with goons until I flamed out spectacularly due to real life stress lol). Planetfall is just real good in general.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 25, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Splicer posted:

If you like the look of stellaris hold off a month or so, there's a big economy rework and dlc coming so it will definitely be on sale.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm running on a computer not really optimized for gaming so it looks like if I picked this one up I'd have to play it on my PS4. Is the console version any good (I mostly just play Matrix wargames and OpenTTD on my computer, so I don't really know if it can run a fancy graphics game like that even if it looks wicked cool)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I've been meaning to try AC for a while. Is there a reccomended open source version like FreeCiv or should I just buy a copy of the game itself?

grab a copy of the game, it's only like six bucks on GOG

https://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri

i'd recommend not playing the expansion right out the gate, the new factions are weird and imbalanced and it adds a new, asymmetric threat with the alien factions that changes the nature of the game pretty dramatically

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kvlt! posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I'm running on a computer not really optimized for gaming so it looks like if I picked this one up I'd have to play it on my PS4. Is the console version any good (I mostly just play Matrix wargames and OpenTTD on my computer, so I don't really know if it can run a fancy graphics game like that even if it looks wicked cool)
I've not played it but apparently it's a very competent port, and it does support Apocalypse. I believe lags behind the main for patches by a good chunk.

One more: keep an eye out for Distant Worlds 2 when it comes out.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've got an interesting situation:

My brother in law has some real bad PTSD and can't play games with guns and scary poo poo. We'd like to play PC games together anyway. I think he's interested in crafting games and things like that, and I think first-person games are preferred. I'm just kind of at a loss when thinking of what games might work for him though. Any ideas?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Minecraft?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Creepers are exploding enemies that sneak up on you and ruin your poo poo, they're incredibly stressful and I don't even have PTSD

although you could always play on peaceful i suppose

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

tuyop posted:

My brother in law has some real bad PTSD and can't play games with guns and scary poo poo. We'd like to play PC games together anyway. I think he's interested in crafting games and things like that, and I think first-person games are preferred. I'm just kind of at a loss when thinking of what games might work for him though. Any ideas?

Maybe Dragon Quest Builders 2? It has some cartoon monster fighting but nothing remotely realistic.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

tuyop posted:

How about something like Autonauts or Dyson Sphere program?
Oh wait, sounds like you are looking for Co-op.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

tuyop posted:

Astroneer?

No idea if satisfactory has combat. If no then that might be worth considering as well.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

tuyop posted:

Minecraft
Minetest (free ripoff option https://content.minetest.net/packages/Wuzzy/mineclone2/)
7 Days to Die with zombies turned off
Creativerse

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Walh Hara posted:

Astroneer?

No idea if satisfactory has combat. If no then that might be worth considering as well.

Astroneer is a ton of fun.
Sadly I bought the Windows version while everyone else has it on Steam.
And no cross compatability.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Astroneer is a great idea, thanks!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

iSurrender posted:

Have you played Jagged Alliance 2?

Oh yeah, several times! This is maybe the pinnacle of the kind of experience I'm talking about.

Thanks for all your suggestions, everyone! Goodness, there's a lot here I'd never even heard of. This should keep me busy for a while.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ha, this is where my mind went. I haven't played that game in a decade, but I remember Miriam and her goddamn loving planet busters

credburn fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 26, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

tuyop posted:

Stardew Valley isn't first person but otherwise fits the bill perfectly. It's very soothing without being childlike and also fun as hell to play with a friend

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Are there any bad 80s Ninja movie games? Or any modernish shooters that are single player focused and have gameplay along the lines of MGSV?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

tuyop posted:

Can someone who's played Industrial Petting recommend it?

e: not crafting but fall guys if he's ok with heights

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 26, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Kvlt! posted:

Stardew Valley isn't first person but otherwise fits the bill perfectly. It's very soothing without being childlike and also fun as hell to play with a friend

Yup. The mines are about as scary as it gets (with super basic Zelda 1 combat) but you don't both need to do it. I play with my spouse, and we usually divide up daily tasks.

If you play on PC, you may at some point get sucked into the mod community, which will permanently ruin the console ports for you. I can't play Stardew without Automate anymore.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

tuyop posted:

Is crafting a must have or are chill adventure games / walking simulators an option?

Would something like https://store.steampowered.com/app/225080/Brothers__A_Tale_of_Two_Sons/ be too scary?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

iSurrender posted:

Is crafting a must have or are chill adventure games / walking simulators an option?

Would something like https://store.steampowered.com/app/225080/Brothers__A_Tale_of_Two_Sons/ be too scary?

Jesus Christ don't recommend Brothers to someone with PTSD.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
Im just asking, the guy who is asking for the recommendation can watch a speed run to screen the fear/sadness level, he's not the guy with PTSD.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Are there any bad 80s Ninja movie games?

Does Mark of the Ninja fit?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Are there any bad 80s Ninja movie games?

Injustice 2

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
here's a seriously relaxing looking game, single player
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1503920/Aery__A_Journey_Beyond_Time/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

iSurrender posted:

That’s a good idea, I think I should also specify open-world/sandbox as well but I’ll see what he thinks of those MP platformers like Unravel.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

ducttape posted:

Anybody who likes stealth or platformers should play this wonderful game. It's the same company that made Invisible Inc. and the gameplay is tight as hell. Taps right into the childhood "man, ninjas are cool!" feeling. It's one of those games I'll probably replay every year or so for decades to come (as I have with the decade'ish that it's been out).

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

tuyop posted:

If stabbing a shark with a spear isn't too triggering, I would strongly recommend Raft. 1st person Co-op survival while you craft yourself a nice big raft.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

thekeeshman posted:

If stabbing a shark with a spear isn't too triggering, I would strongly recommend Raft. 1st person Co-op survival while you craft yourself a nice big raft.

Also a great idea

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

tuyop posted:

Also a great idea
If you're hmming about stardew it's on 50% off sale everywhere for the next 8 hours

note: one of the characters who appears in year 2 just came back from the military and has PTSD. One of your first friendship interactions is him being triggered by popcorn

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 27, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

thekeeshman posted:

Raft is a loving miserable grind for resources and food. Crafting tools takes so many resources and they wear out so quickly.. and the character needs to eat 10 times as much per day as they really should. I don't understand why that game is so highly rated; I guess the players mostly love masochism.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

ducttape posted:

I haven't played a side scroller in.. since the 90s, I think, but this might actually the one I try.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Walh Hara posted:

Astroneer?

Satisfactory has combat, and guns. Just very little usage of either. One of the enemy types is very spiderlike and the options menu has an Arachnophobia Mode that changes the spider foes into constantly yowling cat .gifs. There are mods to take the hostile aliens entirely out if you want a peaceful mode existence; you'd miss out on very little as the drops from enemies are mostly useful for healing yourself (which you don't need to do nearly as much of if there are no enemies to harm you) and for making biomass (y'know what else makes biomass? trees.)

As far as FPS combat with guns & melee weapons goes Satisfactory's extremely mild but it is there.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Raft is a loving miserable grind for resources and food. Crafting tools takes so many resources and they wear out so quickly.. and the character needs to eat 10 times as much per day as they really should. I don't understand why that game is so highly rated; I guess the players mostly love masochism.

I think this ends up being a lot more bearable in coop where you can have more division of labor, but the game also has a weird difficulty curve where the basic survival elements get a lot easier once you've progressed a bunch. Like once you get the solar distiller and the plastic water bottle water availability becomes pretty trivial, but it's a pain in the first part. Ditto food once you plant the big plants and start catching big fish.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I dug my 3DS out again and it's become my new time killing machine at work.

What are some good time sink games for this thing? Maybe ones that might have flown under my radar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

I dug my 3DS out again and it's become my new time killing machine at work.

What are some good time sink games for this thing? Maybe ones that might have flown under my radar?

While not an under-the-radar series, Professor Layton games are very easy to pick up and put down at a moment's notice, which will be handy if you need to put down the 3DS and do work poo poo regularly or abruptly. They're fun games if you like both puzzles, and ludicrous plots that take themselves seriously. This parody is more believable than the actual plot of Unwound Future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOkkNpBjYkg