Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

More of the same eh?

Thanks reviewer, very helpful to all the people who never played one of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The turn system change alone is a massive change to the feel of the combat so I have a feeling any reviewer who says it's "more of the same" is definitely looking for different things than me from these games

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/bravely-default-ii?ref=hp

80/100 so far, which isn’t bad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

The turn system change alone is a massive change to the feel of the combat so I have a feeling any reviewer who says it's "more of the same" is definitely looking for different things than me from these games
yeah genuinely this

this and the random encounter change is a huge deal for me and something I'm still kinda negative about. I hope I will still enjoy the game despite it. I also hope that they didn't remove the ability to change the party leader in the main game because they did that in the final demo and it worries me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah I've been kinda cold on the game through the previous demos and the battle changes... But I bought it anyway cus dammit I like Bravely and I will decide my own feelings once I've beaten it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just want Bravely Default 1 but in 1080p, but the demo kind of soured me on it.

One reviewer:

quote:

[Dungeons] With monsters packed in just a few paces apart, you might exit one battle only to swiftly trigger another, and by the time that’s done you’ve lost your bearings. Yes, there are ways of avoiding confrontations, but you can’t afford to do that often if you want to raise your skill levels sufficiently.

This reminds me of Xenosaga, no random battles, but there are monsters in a corridor and they move twice as fast as you, so you wouldn't be able to skip them even if you wanted to.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 25, 2021

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This reminds me of Xenosaga, no random battles, but there are monsters in a corridor and they move twice as fast as you, so you wouldn't be able to skip them even if you wanted to.
this has been true for every game with overworld monsters and is why I never got the argument that it's somehow superior to random battles because of the fabled "lets you choose your battles" :sigh:

Terper posted:

Yeah I've been kinda cold on the game through the previous demos and the battle changes... But I bought it anyway cus dammit I like Bravely and I will decide my own feelings once I've beaten it.

:same:

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

I wish they had kept the controls for encounter rates and the 1 turn victor bonuses from Bravely Second. That made grinding go SO much faster.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The answer is "if you can see them it looks less bullshitty when you get a random battle to pop up", but then the developers do bullshitty things like not giving you an option to escape them, or making it sufficiently difficult like

If someone is complaining that the game is too hard and when probed the group finds out he's been skipping battles, the group he's sharing this information is going to dunk on him and tell him he's "an idiot and no wonder you're having a hard time". It only serves to handhold people that shouldn't be hand held, and if they're just gonna write a review bitching about it, I feel like they should be able to retort with "actually, the player collected stats say you skipped all the mobs, so that's on you"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Didn't Bravely Default let you turn off encounters? Why didn't they bring it back?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'll still definitely get this tomorrow but that's not going to stop me from complaining if it ends up being not as good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

Didn't Bravely Default let you turn off encounters? Why didn't they bring it back?
yeah, it gave you complete control over the encounter rate - you could turn it down, turn it off, even turn it way up if you wanted. You also had control over exp gain, job point gain and money gain which let you grind exactly as much or as little as you wanted. It was genuinely the best implementation possible in my opinion, and then we never saw it again :rip:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just want Bravely Default 1 but in 1080p, but the demo kind of soured me on it.

I would kill for a port of the first two to Switch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

yeah, it gave you complete control over the encounter rate - you could turn it down, turn it off, even turn it way up if you wanted. You also had control over exp gain, job point gain and money gain which let you grind exactly as much or as little as you wanted. It was genuinely the best implementation possible in my opinion, and then we never saw it again :rip:

Yeah, the loss of this is something I really don't get for Bravely Default 2.

I can see how an encounter rate slider wouldn't really work because they aren't truly random encounters anymore, but an "enemy frequency" or "enemy density" setting could exist. And control over EXP and JP gain, if nothing else, would be really nice. One thing I liked in Bravely Second was the ability to turn off EXP gain while I was grinding JP so I could learn new job abilities without severely overleveling for where I was in the story.

And turning the encounter rate way up was useful, too. The couple times I really wanted to grind out JP in Bravely Default, I just cranked the encounter rate and battle speed to max and went nuts. It was awesome.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Your Computer posted:

this has been true for every game with overworld monsters and is why I never got the argument that it's somehow superior to random battles because of the fabled "lets you choose your battles" :sigh:

:same:

I like Yakuza 7's approach - in the open world you've got enough room on the map to skirt around enemies if you want to, and you can run from them if they spot you. In dungeons you can't avoid them but there's a set amount of enemies to get through so you're not punished by constant random battles if you go the wrong way or need to backtrack.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

More of the same eh?

Thanks reviewer, very helpful to all the people who never played one of these

I don't think "more of the same" was the sum total of the review.

stev fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 25, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dragon Quest XI has an interesting implementation of battles being on the map in that they're actually really easy to avoid most of the time, even in dungeons. You move faster than most map enemies so you can get away from them without too much issue. It's pretty chill.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be honest, all I really care about is whether the new classes are cool and interesting.

That said I am prepared to eat my words if it turns out I also hate the encounter rate.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Harrow posted:

Yeah, the loss of this is something I really don't get for Bravely Default 2.

I can see how an encounter rate slider wouldn't really work because they aren't truly random encounters anymore, but an "enemy frequency" or "enemy density" setting could exist. And control over EXP and JP gain, if nothing else, would be really nice. One thing I liked in Bravely Second was the ability to turn off EXP gain while I was grinding JP so I could learn new job abilities without severely overleveling for where I was in the story.

And turning the encounter rate way up was useful, too. The couple times I really wanted to grind out JP in Bravely Default, I just cranked the encounter rate and battle speed to max and went nuts. It was awesome.

Was it Second Layer that had the system that if you one shot a encounter you had the option to continue with another one immediately with increased rewards/exp/etc? I loved that feature since it made farming in slightly lower areas a fun self imposed challenge.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mokinokaro posted:

I would kill for a port of the first two to Switch.

:same: But mostly because I hadn't played the second one yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BexGu posted:

Was it Second Layer that had the system that if you one shot a encounter you had the option to continue with another one immediately with increased rewards/exp/etc? I loved that feature since it made farming in slightly lower areas a fun self imposed challenge.

I think so, yeah. You could chain battles together for increased rewards, though I don't remember exactly how it worked.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Harrow posted:

I think so, yeah. You could chain battles together for increased rewards, though I don't remember exactly how it worked.

If you beat a battle in one turn it gave you the option to immediately fight more enemies in the same state (as in, your BP was still used up), which could be chained until you no longer won in one turn.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’ve played the full game a bunch and I haven’t had issues avoiding encounters. Also monsters runaway from you when you’re high enough level so eventually you don’t even have to dodge them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm definitely still looking forward to this. Probably won't buy it right on launch if only because I'm already juggling too many other games, but I'll get it soon.

Also really curious to see the full list of jobs and if there are any particularly interesting ones in there.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Harrow posted:

Dragon Quest XI has an interesting implementation of battles being on the map in that they're actually really easy to avoid most of the time, even in dungeons. You move faster than most map enemies so you can get away from them without too much issue. It's pretty chill.

Don't forget you could yeet monsters with your horse.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm miffed the IGN review spoiled what I would consider a rather important detail a quarter of the way through the review.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Pretty excited for this game even though I never finished the previous 2 (though I got pretty close with the original). Hopefully it's good, and nothing I've read in the prerelease critiques sound like something that would turn me off on it. I'm just really in the mood for this type of game right now, to the point I'm like ready to track down my version of the original.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Your Computer posted:

Not only is the encounter rate not back, apparently now exp and jp gains are tied to your difficulty setting so you get more on easy mode and less on hard, so not only are those sliders gone they forcibly condensed them into the difficulty modes :confused:

Overall any reviewer that says it's more of the same really feels like they're looking for completely different things because every change they've made so far compared to BD and BS just feels like a weird downgrade; I wish it was more of the same but it really doesn't feel like it so far.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Polderjoch posted:

apparently now exp and jp gains are tied to your difficulty setting so you get more on easy mode and less on hard, so not only are those sliders gone they forcibly condensed them into the difficulty modes :confused:

Is this true? That seems terrible

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There do appear to be some new jobs that look kind of interesting, like Pictomancer and Hellblade, though I can't find any details on what they do beyond their names and looks.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

There do appear to be some new jobs that look kind of interesting, like Pictomancer and Hellblade, though I can't find any details on what they do beyond their names and looks.

based on the name alone I want to try that first one

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Andrast posted:

based on the name alone I want to try that first one

It's probably like FF6 Realm and Sketch.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well hey, me being cold in the lead up has lead me to not being tempted to look at the trailers and information so I go into the game knowing super little, which is always fun with these job games.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yeah, most of the mechanical changes seem like they're going to make me enjoy it less than before? Hopefully the high-tier class and skill design is going to be enough to carry it for me, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The thing I'm really itching for is to see what all the jobs can do and what their outfits look like. I'm sort of expecting a range of jobs closer to Bravely Default than Second just from what we've seen so far. That's kind of a shame because the wilder jobs from Second were pretty fun, but I had plenty of fun with Default's jobs, too, so I'm still looking forward to it.

Of the demo jobs, Black Mage's outfit is a big downgrade from class Black Mages, but Monk has just an insanely good outfit.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Did anyone see any reviews that go into some depth about the quality of the story. The handful I looked at were frustratingly vague about it. I could go for this type of game but I think I would need for the story to be okay (I would say BD1's story was okay, BSecond's story lost me quickly, I didn't play octopath but from what I heard it didn't rise to the level of okay)

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 25, 2021

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Octopath's stories were fine in the context they were intended but they pulled the cardinal sin of making something that has hard expectations surrounding it, then frustrating those expectations.

I've done it a time or two myself in hobby games I've made. If people have a certain expectation, you can't go to them and say, "Don't expect that." Or at least, you won't get results from doing so.

Scream "SEPARATE STORIES" all you want, everyone was waiting for them to intertwine.

Worst of both worlds that that half-assedly merged them in the postgame.

I hope this game's story is decent but I'm sad about all the QoL regressions. I'll probably still be down to clown regardless as I want something mechanically crunchy right now and the soundtrack ain't whistlin' Dixie (though I'd be extremely okay if they did that too).

Wasn't this game also made by a different team/studio than BDI? Or am I mixing up Square side-projects?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thing about Octopath is that all it really would've taken for me was to have characters sometimes appear and comment in other characters' stories, and not just in the pub chat skits. Having characters just chime in with a line or two during other characters' scenes so that it's clear that they're all there going through stuff together would've made a huge difference.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Harrow posted:

Thing about Octopath is that all it really would've taken for me was to have characters sometimes appear and comment in other characters' stories, and not just in the pub chat skits. Having characters just chime in with a line or two during other characters' scenes so that it's clear that they're all there going through stuff together would've made a huge difference.

Yeah, I stopped playing Octopath a couple hours in because I got frustrated with each character's story happening in complete isolation from the others. Inter-party dialogue and tensions and such basically didn't exist. I liked the combat system alright, but not enough for me to do the rigmarole of "Character A's hour+ solo story -> walk to a new location and meet character B -> Character B's hour+ solo story -> Walk to a new location and meet character C -> " ect ect ect. As it was, the characters didn't even acknowledge each others presence. It's funny too because I actually thought what intros I played (mostly the characters on the south side of the map, did the Dancer -> Knight -> Merchant -> Doctor and started Thief before I burned out) I actually liked each individual stories in microcosm. It was the parts where it linked up as a whole where the whole thing fell apart for me, to the point where you could see on the map where like the Dancer's B plot didn't actually begin for 20 someodd levels after her intro so until then, she pretty much stops existing in the plot until you circle back around to it.

I never had a 3ds, so I'm one of those fortunate fucks who get to come into BD2 fresh with no comparisons to the first game. I still wish that they will eventually do a port of the original games to Switch, but until then I'll take what I can get.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
This from the Polygon review jumped out to me:

quote:

I’m even more baffled by the enemies for which I don’t even get the correct tools to fight. Bravely Default 2 makes it easy to find all enemy weaknesses when I use a turn to inspect them, but some enemies are weak to energy types that I didn’t gain access to for a whole two chapters after I first encountered their symbol. The peak of this frustration was when I fought a boss with a beefy minion that was vulnerable only to electricity and light, and completely invulnerable to all physical attacks. I had one character who could cast electrical attacks, and I still had yet to see light energy.
I won, but only after an entire damned hour of stuffing that character full of mana potions so he could chip away at that minion’s health, while the main boss kept buffing and shielding.

Either the boss fights are just incredibly poorly designed or the reviewer failed to actually grasp the mechanics of characters/abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
maybe the story or powers aren't linear, and he wasn't prepared to fight that yet?