Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

loving MASSIVE GROGS.TXT ALERT:

ZAK PUT OUT AN OSR THING ABOUT AFRICA.

IT'S ON HIS PLAYING D&D BLOG.

DON'T GO LOOK AT IT.

ETA: actual good advice

Froghammer posted:

Like, dunking on Zak is cool and all, but at the end of the day he's a content creator, which means he gets his money and influence and clout through clicks, which means the best way to fight against him and his brand is via deplatforming, which means not reading or paying attention to whatever poo poo he puts out on his lovely blog is the way to go.

A rapist and serial harasser with a history of putting out problematic content putting out content that's guaranteed to be racist sounds like clickbait, and if anyone wants to bite the bullet and read it and summarize it in a way that's entertaining in a "look at this horrible travesty", go for it. But gently caress Zak S and gently caress his opinions and gently caress his content.

The best advice I've ever gotten from my dearly departed Uncle Mark goes here:

Kids, don't touch the poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Lumbermouth posted:

I don’t know why, but the part that upset me the most is him still taking ownership over the god that Mandy created for her cleric character :(

I think the reason is very obvious. What a oval office.

And yeah Froghammer has the right of it, I went back and added practical advice

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Pyrolocutus posted:

WOTC "looking at moving beyond game stores"

https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/status/1364966892713181192

This is...not a good thing I think.

rip LGSes. I mean, the good one near me is already dead and the rest suck, but that's a pretty solid stake in the heart if it goes through.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"Cocks" lmao.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

SkyeAuroline posted:

rip LGSes. I mean, the good one near me is already dead and the rest suck, but that's a pretty solid stake in the heart if it goes through.

Is this just them going all in on Spelltable in the wake of the pandemic? loving up where your games are actually played seems like a bad move.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Lumbermouth posted:

Is this just them going all in on Spelltable in the wake of the pandemic? loving up where your games are actually played seems like a bad move.

Maybe. I don't know. In a slightly less reflexive response, my LGSes probably won't die because they've clawed for absolutely everything they can do (EXCEPT RPGs and, to a lesser extent, wargames - all of them push the former away and all but one pushes the latter, but the latter's owner is a bit scummy so I wouldn't play there anyway). As long as MtG is still played with paper cards they'll survive, along with comics and record sales. But I wouldn't be surprised if they finally give up pretending and just let RPG sales die entirely if WotC ever gets their digital distribution poo poo together.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FMguru posted:

"Cocks" lmao.
Chris Cocks will make you jump, jump.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Pyrolocutus posted:

I wonder if this means we'll get another Netrunner relaunch.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Pyrolocutus posted:

‘Moving beyond game stores’

Like, Secret Lairs? I mean it’s not great that they said that out loud though, because that means they’re comfortable saying it out loud.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mode 7 posted:

I wonder if this means we'll get another Netrunner relaunch.

only skinned as a cyberpunk 77 tie-in

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
There isn't much choice. The margins on paper product were already getting worse before COVID, their printing process has gotten worse, and then they lost a poo poo ton of game stores in the last year. If they weren't looking at boutique direct-to-consumer collectibles and putting digital first, they'd be negligent.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Yeah the only thing keeping most game stores afloat was Magic, and tournaments/any other game nights are basically out the window at the moment.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Halloween Jack posted:

Chris Cocks will make you jump, jump.

He loving wishes he were anywhere near that cool. :colbert:

That said, woof that's not good news for stores. I had one FLGS nearby, though they tend to focus on minis/wargames already. I don't know if they're holding on through the pandemic because I haven't been since last January.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Hopefully this means they're going to expand the 5e team to include more people who actually know what the hell they're doing?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

Hopefully this means they're going to expand the 5e team to include more people who actually know what the hell they're doing?

From the perspective of Hasbro this 5e team is the best the game has ever done. Big profits, tons of social media interest, a growing fan base. They are VERY happy right now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
WotC reduced D&D to a legacy brand on the assumption that its main value was in externalities, and they were totally right. It doesn't matter how bad the base game is or the fact that their lead developer is still trapped in a wet paper bag due to a tragic game design accident.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming
•Wizards of the Coast is approximately halfway to achieving its target of doubling its revenue from 2018 to 2023.
•2020 Wizards of the Coast revenue was $816M. MAGIC: THE GATHERING revenue up 23% and DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS revenue up 33% for the year, both record years.
•Digital gaming licensing revenue grew 17% in 2020.
•Invested approximately $210 million on development for digital games over the past five years and have more than a dozen games in development between partners and internal projects. Plan to invest several hundred million more on development over the medium-term.
•2021-2022 anticipated digital game launches include:
oMAGIC: THE GATHERING: Arena on mobile, Spellslingers and F2P Action RPG, Magic Legends, with Cryptic Entertainment.
oDUNGEONS & DRAGONS: Dark Alliance with wholly owned subsidiary Tuque Games and Baldur’s Gate 3with Larian Studios.

•Increasing the number of MAGIC: THE GATHERING premiere card set releases from 5 to 6, including Modern Horizons 2in June 2021.
•Announcing Magic Universes Beyond crossover products, to take fan-favorite brands and bring them into the Magic play system for exciting new collectible and social play opportunities.
oIncluding the science-fantasy collectible powerhouse, Warhammer 40,000 by Games Workshop, and Middle-Earth Enterprises, to include characters from the beloved The Lord of the Rings universe.

Entertainement
More than 200 projects underway across TV and Film with 30+ Hasbro brands in development across TV, both scripted and unscripted, and feature films. Building out robust franchise plans for each brand across multiple channels, including:
oMAGIC THE GATHERING
•Feature film in development at Fox.
•Premium animated series in production for Netflix.
oDUNGEONS AND DRAGONS
•Feature film in partnership with Paramount Pictures is preparing to start principal photography in Ireland.
•Engaged several writers to develop premium television projects designed as a foundation for a new robust brand universe.

Source:
Hasbro Outlines Strategic Growth Drivers at Virtual Investor Event Unveils New Segment Reporting
https://investor.hasbro.com/static-files/6f5fb1f4-8303-48a8-8edc-2e956d3e3708

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

KingKalamari posted:

The funny thing is, they have people who know what they are doing, it's just the people at the top are people who are extremely bought into things having to be D&D goodfeels and less good/readable game design

At least they finally got rid of PHB+1 in Adventurer's league.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Halloween Jack posted:

WotC reduced D&D to a legacy brand on the assumption that its main value was in externalities, and they were totally right. It doesn't matter how bad the base game is or the fact that their lead developer is still trapped in a wet paper bag due to a tragic game design accident.
quoting myself from the chat thread in July of last year.

Gobbeldygook posted:

The problem isn't thick campaign source books, it's no books. In the 2,157 days of D&D 5e's life they have released the three core books + three supplements with a total page count of 1,665, five campaign guides with a total page count of 1,263 pages, which combines to 2,927 pages or about 1.36 pages per day. If you add the 2,951 pages of adventures you get up to 2.72 pages per day. Meanwhile, over the 2,725 day life of D&D 3e they published 3,134 pages of core books and 10,848 pages of generic rulebooks or 5.13 pages a day, not counting any adventures or the dozens of Eberron, Dragonlance, and Forgotten Realms sourcebooks.

I don't understand why WotC has all this drama with Nazi advisors and abused freelancers when the entire 5e line could have been written by one creative with an Adderall prescription.
D&D 5e has no books, just brands and vibes.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Pyrolocutus posted:

No, but also not really a new one, they're just owning it. They've been selling direct to customers via their own Amazon storefront for quite some time. The D&D books there are like $1 more than I can buy them for from my distributors, even. I only stock D&D because people like buying it through me to support me.

Their online Magic offerings (outside of Secret Lair, which is exclusively sold direct to customers) don't notably undercut other online retailers, so the impact has been more in terms of being an offensive indication of things to come than an actual impact on business. We'll see if that continues to be the case with upcoming stuff. But it's already tough enough to run an LGS. I'm not in any danger of having to stop unless the local college messes with my rent deal, but that's because I'm tremendously lucky and privileged and, well, the local college is basically subsidizing my rent. It's definitely not a market I'd advise anyone to get into, because everything's increasingly consolidating into Asmodee and WOTC and neither seems committed to the idea of local stores being a significant asset.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It’s gonna be pretty great if Hasbro destroys the entire tabletop, board, and card game industry in the US forever just to make their 21Q3 earnings look good.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Midjack posted:

It’s gonna be pretty great if Hasbro destroys the entire tabletop, board, and card game industry in the US forever just to make their 21Q3 earnings look good.

LGSes are the lowest rung of the ladder for trad games, we're on borrowed time if quarterly earnings corporate capitalism continues to exist, as always.

We maybe could have delayed the inevitable more if we'd organized but I've tried intermittently and nope. Too many people are too mad about another store opening up across town, or convinced that their mighty boostraps will save them when all the "inferior" stores go under in "changing market conditions."

Sigh.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Gobbeldygook posted:

I don't know exactly how DM's Guild works. (I don't play 5e, so I have no reason to get into the details.) But it seems like they're somehow recreating the D20 glut, the main difference being that they have more creative control while putting out much much less content themselves, basically outsourcing all of the supplements to third-party publishers.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

"No books, just brands and vibes" for next thread subtitle maybe.

Ultiville posted:

LGSes are the lowest rung of the ladder for trad games, we're on borrowed time if quarterly earnings corporate capitalism continues to exist, as always.

We maybe could have delayed the inevitable more if we'd organized but I've tried intermittently and nope. Too many people are too mad about another store opening up across town, or convinced that their mighty boostraps will save them when all the "inferior" stores go under in "changing market conditions."

Sigh.

I'm not surprised to hear that but still sorry to. People have strange priorities.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For a few minutes, I thought Hasbro was actually doing something extremely cool and progressive by announcing they were dropping the "Mr." from "Mr. Potato Head", acknowledging that binary gender doesn't have to be and shouldn't be the default for their products, but welp

Nah it's just the trademark they're adjusting, Potato Heads will continue to enforce binary gender norms.

e. also MRS POTATO HEAD gets 1 fewer pieces than MR POTATO HEAD. Amazing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

For a few minutes, I thought Hasbro was actually doing something extremely cool and progressive by announcing they were dropping the "Mr." from "Mr. Potato Head", acknowledging that binary gender doesn't have to be and shouldn't be the default for their products, but welp

Nah it's just the trademark they're adjusting, Potato Heads will continue to enforce binary gender norms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOw5IeDnFMQ

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Selling two separate male and female versions of the product is old meta.

They should sell a generic potato body, and a neverending stream of lootboxes/booster packs with randomly selected bodyparts from licensed media properties.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

mellonbread posted:

Selling two separate male and female versions of the product is old meta.

They should sell a generic potato body, and a neverending stream of lootboxes/booster packs with randomly selected bodyparts from licensed media properties.

See that's what I thought they were doing when I heard about this but no it's even lazier and dumber than that.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Leperflesh posted:

Thanks, now I have the phrase "MRS. POTATO DICK" from those SNL skits parodying underground rock festivals stuck in my head again.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Hostile V posted:

Thanks, now I have the phrase "MRS. POTATO DICK" from those SNL skits parodying underground rock festivals stuck in my head again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Leperflesh posted:

Dodging the jokes people have already made, which piece? Hat, eyes, two arms, nose, mouth, feet, what am I not remembering?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Dodging the jokes people have already made, which piece? Hat, eyes, two arms, nose, mouth, feet, what am I not remembering?

Wifebeater.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Bruceski posted:

I believe the moustache is a separate piece.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

FishFood posted:

I believe the moustache is a separate piece.

Yeah the moustache clips onto the nose-peg

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Gobbeldygook posted:

quoting myself from the chat thread in July of last year.

Do...

You not count adventures, then? Or setting books?

I'm counting like 37 books.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Also why is "there's less of it" a point against D&D's favor

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Arthil posted:

Do...

You not count adventures, then? Or setting books?

I'm counting like 37 books.

If you count literally everything (including AI/wildemount/Rick and Morty/ToD), there's 28 books now, about 3 more than when that post was made, and only half are "rules" books. That's still a comparatively small number.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Honestly pretty much every D&D has/had more books than needed, this one being relatively restrained doesn't seem terrible.

Obviously I wish they were 30-odd books of a good game, but I don't think much would be improved if there were 60-odd of them. I do feel like the pace has picked up some recently, but that could just be the pandemic time anomaly talking.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ultiville posted:

Honestly pretty much every D&D has/had more books than needed, this one being relatively restrained doesn't seem terrible.

Obviously I wish they were 30-odd books of a good game, but I don't think much would be improved if there were 60-odd of them. I do feel like the pace has picked up some recently, but that could just be the pandemic time anomaly talking.

There's been 1 rule book and 2 mainline setting/adventure books every year, except 2020, where they only have 1 adventure. The non-mainline stuff (AI/CR/MtG) has picked up recently, but nope, they haven't changed the standard pace. Still no book for many of the fan-favorite settings: Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Planescape. And the only Ravenloft book was a mediocre adventure, not really a good setting book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Leperflesh posted:

??? It's just a mustache piece. It's not even funny in an unintentional "Mrs. Potato Head gets 80% of the pieces Mr. Potato Head gets" way because its 12 vs 13 pieces. Or "Mrs. Potato Head is 20% more expensive while also being 30% smaller."