Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thehistoryguy/status/1364961368617734161

This is a silly country and always will be, and we as a people should be trying to channel the silliness into things like this and not electing people because they were funny on the telly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There does seem to be an uptick in 'lol look at this' and then posting a video / tweet that is just going to wind up and in some cases hurt people in the thread.

I'm thinking specifically of that twitter anti-mask video that was posted a few pages back, the one that had a guy in a tracksuit in a car park in the thumbnail. I'm not going to click on it. Nobody in their right mind should be clicking on it. If you really, really need to discuss some aspect of it then at least put a paragraph of text underneath explaining why you hate it and exactly what about it you want to stunt on / discuss, eg "This knob thinks that the cotton in masks is turning frogs gay" or whatever.

I mean I am a curious person but there are way too many times I find that curiosity rewarded only with disappointment in humanity, anger at outright lying or feeling abstract threat from videos like the shouty landlord currently doing the rounds.

It ruins my afternoon, but apart from having HSP as part of my Autism profile, I don't have half the reasons others in this thread do to get mad / depressed by some of the right wing hot takes posted without comment.

Suggestion for a new thread rule: If you have to post an insane take that you know is agressively contrary to the thread's moral position, you have to at least post a summary so that nobody else has to waste their time or emotional energy on watching it.

Contentless posts are already probatable (USPOL clamps down on this hard) so just report them. I will concede this often doesn't work though, so we might have to resort to that old classic thread staple, the dogpile

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Anecdotally I've heard of several people stung by the HMRC audit of EOTHO that started in November where more detailed post-payment specifics where asked to back up the submissions that where made to ensure they where compliant with the rules of the scheme.

A whole lot of people simply hadn't figured out how to actually implement the discount with their point of sale software when the scheme kicked off and winged it but if it is repeated some of the exploits that companies left open because it was too much hassle to patch them may be closed off now that more direct threats of fines and penalities have started to be circulated

Edit: by stung I mean providing a copy of your entire purchases for august, detailed information on capacity with photographs and copy receipts etc

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 25, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is a silly country and always will be, and we as a people should be trying to channel the silliness into things like this and not electing people because they were funny on the telly.
Exercising my common law right of juxta mare placent.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Extremely rude way to describe that elderly relative.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

You buggers would love the excuse of "Why did you buy 12 ten-bag multipacks of Monster Munch?" "Making blankets for the homeless."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Buddy I don't need a goddamn excuse.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1364917740381814785

Things can only get, uh, worse

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Do you prefer your homeless to smell of pickled onion, roast beef, or hot n spicy?
*starts 50 page debate*

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Just Another Lurker posted:

Got the AZ Covid jab yesterday.... currently having that washed out tired feeling you get after a boozeup has flushed all the electrolytes from your body and left you feeling 'meh' all over.

Guess it's working. :shrug:

My (30 year old, healthy) mate had his yesterday and feels exactly the same.

My (67 year old) mother has still not been given a date.

loving weird.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

loving weird.

I've not used it, but as a 67 year-old your mum should be able to just go on the website and book one I think

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

EvilHawk posted:

loving weird.

Just got invited for the shot today myself. I’m 39 and physically mostly healthy (okay, my bmi sucks) so not sure how I got it this soon.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

depending on where you live this link might work, I know of a few people <60 who've managed to get both doses booked in

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Camrath posted:

Just got invited for the shot today myself. I’m 39 and physically mostly healthy (okay, my bmi sucks) so not sure how I got it this soon.

We figured that it might be because he had some heart problems a year or two ago, but certainly nothing that lasted.

peanut- posted:

I've not used it, but as a 67 year-old your mum should be able to just go on the website and book one I think

Passed that along, thanks.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Spangly A posted:

punishing a jury for "perverse verdict" isn't allowed, but it's a fairly pointless protest. We don't have double jeopardy laws, so a judge can just scream at you for as long as they can get away with and start the entire process over again if they feel like it.

Please don't chat poo poo like this.

The list of offences which can be retried after an acquittal is on the CPS's website at Annex A. It's very short, but to make it shorter: killing or trying to kill people, the most serious sexual offences, or being an extremely successful drug dealer.

The police then have to go through an extremely long and drawn-out process to confirm that they have new and compelling evidence, and it is actually in the interests of justice to bring the second prosecution. If the second trial also acquits, then there can be no further proceedings at all.

If anyone's interested in the mechanics of this, the detective who got the two Stephen Lawrence killers convicted after a retrial wrote a very good autobiography which is a cut above the usual shite you get from police memoirs. He also has a lot of very interesting stuff to say about how he was nobbled when he tried to look into credible allegations of a paedophile ring exploiting children's homes in Lambeth, and how the Met was continually trying to undermine him after he took the Lawrence investigation on.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

All I want is someone to go on TV or up in the HoC and go 'If that's their opinion then they're an idiot who doesn't understand anything about money and here's why'

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
How do tax raises choke off a recovery?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Gonzo McFee posted:

If rich people have less money they won't be able to ~*~create jobs ~*~, obviously. So what if everyone is unemployed, that doesn't matter for spending, right?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

Some tax raises lower economic activity. This is really clear with stuff like VAT (and if anyone was even vaguely serious about forcing a recovery, the VAT cut in 2008 is considered to be one of the most successful of the various stimulus measures after the credit crunch) and NI (bumping up NI employer's contributions inevitably ends up with redundancies), is arguable with income tax depending on exactly how it's done (raising upper marginal rates seems to have very little effect, raising the bottom rate or lowering the tax-free threshold does lower consumer spending), and completely irrelevant when dealing with things like Corporation Tax and CGT which are only charged on profits.

It's notable looking at that list that it becomes really obvious which are the most regressive taxes. Labour *should* be screaming for a (temporary) VAT reduction, raising the income tax threshold to £18k (minimum wage at 40 hours a week), and windfall and Tobin taxes. Instead we get them going to bat for no corporation tax raise and... well that seems to be the only thing they've got.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
liz kendal would have been better than this oval office lol

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There does seem to be an uptick in 'lol look at this' and then posting a video / tweet that is just going to wind up and in some cases hurt people in the thread.

I'm thinking specifically of that twitter anti-mask video that was posted a few pages back, the one that had a guy in a tracksuit in a car park in the thumbnail. I'm not going to click on it. Nobody in their right mind should be clicking on it. If you really, really need to discuss some aspect of it then at least put a paragraph of text underneath explaining why you hate it and exactly what about it you want to stunt on / discuss, eg "This knob thinks that the cotton in masks is turning frogs gay" or whatever.

I mean I am a curious person but there are way too many times I find that curiosity rewarded only with disappointment in humanity, anger at outright lying or feeling abstract threat from videos like the shouty landlord currently doing the rounds.

It ruins my afternoon, but apart from having HSP as part of my Autism profile, I don't have half the reasons others in this thread do to get mad / depressed by some of the right wing hot takes posted without comment.

Suggestion for a new thread rule: If you have to post an insane take that you know is agressively contrary to the thread's moral position, you have to at least post a summary so that nobody else has to waste their time or emotional energy on watching it.

I tried saying something like this (though not as eloquently) a few months ago but got shouted down by people suggesting that posting racism/transphobia etc ITT was actually fine if it was "newsworthy", and actually if you don't like looking at things that make you feel bad you should just not pay attention to anything

personally I think that any self-proclaimed leftist should try and consider the effects of something they might post before posting it, but this is apparently a controversial view or something

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
People should just stop empty posting poo poo tweets. Or there should be some kind of threshold of how many retweets or likes it's had. Don't inflict lukewarm takes from anonymous no marks on us in OUR great British mega thread.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bad as Labour have been for much of my life I confess I'm blindsided by them going "No, we mustn't raise corporation tax!" in response to the tories going "we might need to raise corporation tax a bit"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Labour *should* be screaming for a (temporary) VAT reduction, raising the income tax threshold to £18k (minimum wage at 40 hours a week), and windfall and Tobin taxes. Instead we get them going to bat for no corporation tax raise and... well that seems to be the only thing they've got.
I keep thinking back to this, but straight up going "scrap VAT" sounds like the sort of thing that would make popular headlines, play well with the people that understand what a regressive tax is as well as the people who see VAT as the thing the EU invented to ban big hoovers, disproportionately benefit small businesses and nations of shopkeepers, and able to be summed up in a short sentence. It'd at least move the window to make it a viable play to put pressure on the Tories to reduce VAT to 10% temporarily.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yea I posted a tweet about Glinner the other day that I immediately regretted and Rumda rightly called me out on; I’m one of the group that got really annoyed by all the Weetman tweets and what I posted was no better.

The toxic negativity of “wow look at this it’s so awful” is rotten and addictive and we’d all do well to try and avoid it IMO

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I keep thinking back to this, but straight up going "scrap VAT" sounds like the sort of thing that would make popular headlines, play well with the people that understand what a regressive tax is as well as the people who see VAT as the thing the EU invented to ban big hoovers, disproportionately benefit small businesses and nations of shopkeepers, and able to be summed up in a short sentence. It'd at least move the window to make it a viable play to put pressure on the Tories to reduce VAT to 10% temporarily.

I dont know anything about tax policy, why do govts love VAT then? Because it's easy to collect?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, businesses do all the collection for you.
That's great (but still regressive) if you operate in an environment where most business is huge corporate or state owned and there's a high de minimis exemption for smaller businesses, but where most businesses are SMEs it just creates a ton of unnecessary paperwork and also jobs for an army of accountants that could otherwise be doing something productive (the other reason that governments that are friends with accounting firms love VAT).

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

This kind of thinking is so utterly pervasive on Normal Island, if you're not actively Aspiring™ then you can't complain if bad things happen to you.

Funnily enough I made the mistake of browsing #TheChase hashtag earlier this evening and you'll never see a clearer demonstration of what I mean. All 4 contestants chose the low offer (in each case this was still +£1000) and Flag Twitter were absolutely fuming that anyone would dare go on a gameshow and strategically choose the safest low-risk option to win money. Even if they won they'd still be a grand up but nope, just endless abuse for an hour straight for not being Aspirational™ enough.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Random Integer posted:

I dont know anything about tax policy, why do govts love VAT then? Because it's easy to collect?

Yeah it's easy to quickly get loads of money from it. All economic activity covered by it get dinged and it quickly generates lots of income streams.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, businesses do all the collection for you.
That's great (but still regressive) if you operate in an environment where most business is huge corporate or state owned and there's a high de minimis exemption for smaller businesses, but where most businesses are SMEs it just creates a ton of unnecessary paperwork and also jobs for an army of accountants that could otherwise be doing something productive (the other reason that governments that are friends with accounting firms love VAT).

VAT and NI are both beloved by people with multiple jobs that earn over about £100k as they're the two easiest taxes to dodge in that circumstance. As this includes almost all MPs and certainly every columnist and thinktank mutant in the country they're never going to be touched.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Labour will run on removing all VAT from boats.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I'm open to the existence of VAT for certain items rather than completely against it as a principle but it should be halved at least just as a short term goal, it's just awfully high at this point because the government is opposed to setting up a fair tax system.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I'm not opposed to a theoretical VAT on helicopters.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Contentless posts are already probatable (USPOL clamps down on this hard) so just report them. I will concede this often doesn't work though, so we might have to resort to that old classic thread staple, the dogpile
Ah, I'd been reporting them to the GMC but I'll try Jose thanks.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

EvilHawk posted:

loving weird.
I think it is because some places are doing them at different speeds, with different demographics, have different take-up rates, and have different number of patients within their 'catchment area'. In C London for example, the population is younger than the rest of the country and they have had lower take up rates than lots of other areas (especially among minority and poorer populations) and so they are simply getting down their priority list more quickly. My sister in her thirties has just been offered her jab, as have some friends of mine.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

My vaccination felt like the right time based on my idiot self diagnosis. I got vaccinated the day after Boris was talking about how the most vulnerable have been vaccinated, and I felt like that was right, I'm not one of the "most vulnerable", but if you remove those actually vulnerable people from the list, I'm probably one of the new most vulnerable, if that makes sense.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I keep dodging their phone calls trying to get me to take it so I can stay at home doing nowt.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I keep dodging their phone calls trying to get me to take it so I can stay at home doing nowt.

You can still do that once you've had the vaccine.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

namesake posted:

You can still do that once you've had the vaccine.

Yeah they give you this card to show you've had it but they ain't gonna phone up your employers or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Trin Tragula posted:

Please don't chat poo poo like this.

The list of offences which can be retried after an acquittal is on the CPS's website at Annex A. It's very short, but to make it shorter: killing or trying to kill people, the most serious sexual offences, or being an extremely successful drug dealer.

The police then have to go through an extremely long and drawn-out process to confirm that they have new and compelling evidence, and it is actually in the interests of justice to bring the second prosecution. If the second trial also acquits, then there can be no further proceedings at all.

If anyone's interested in the mechanics of this, the detective who got the two Stephen Lawrence killers convicted after a retrial wrote a very good autobiography which is a cut above the usual shite you get from police memoirs. He also has a lot of very interesting stuff to say about how he was nobbled when he tried to look into credible allegations of a paedophile ring exploiting children's homes in Lambeth, and how the Met was continually trying to undermine him after he took the Lawrence investigation on.

thanks for the detail, I'll freely admit my knowledge of double jeapordy in the uk begins and ends with "we had it, then stephen lawrence and *static*"

but can you be punished if you show up to jury service and loudly announce that you don't need the trial, this guilty motherfucker disrespected the wu-tang?