Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

My last flight was exactly one year ago. I can't say that it's been absolutely horrible being grounded, but I do miss the travel. We aren't planning to open the office for at least another 5 months, with travel tapering in maybe before the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I am also interested in getting into some of the travel that the job I took last April was supposed to have with it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I miss exploring local breweries after getting my work done, which is what I’m doing right now in Birmingham, AL - a state I’ve never been to and was assured I’d hate (it’s Alabama), but the people here have been great, which I think is because it’s a college town, because :cmon: it’s Alabama.

My wife hates it when I bring home Indian food, but college towns always have awesome food, so whenever I’m traveling I get it :v:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I have a trip next month that I'm excited for. And it's a place where I can do some photography.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

AA called to tell me F is overbooked on my flight tomorrow due to a change in something (maybe the plane?) and they wanted to know if I’d switch planes. I had gotten upgraded at the 100 hour EXP mark. I don’t want to run through CLT to miss my flight, so I told them I wanted to keep to the same flight.

First time that’s happened and I don’t know how it could’ve happened. It’s still showing as an A321 and all planes on that route (A320/321, 737s) all have the same seating configuration, so I don’t know how that could be a problem.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

AA called to tell me F is overbooked on my flight tomorrow due to a change in something (maybe the plane?) and they wanted to know if I’d switch planes. I had gotten upgraded at the 100 hour EXP mark. I don’t want to run through CLT to miss my flight, so I told them I wanted to keep to the same flight.

First time that’s happened and I don’t know how it could’ve happened. It’s still showing as an A321 and all planes on that route (A320/321, 737s) all have the same seating configuration, so I don’t know how that could be a problem.

Broken seat.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
federal air marshal

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

I was upgraded, bumped down to Y with cash compensation and upgraded at the gate with 6 open seats in F within about 8 hours.

No idea tbh

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
my travel adventure was relatively smooth, here's a boring trip report:

1) DTW quite empty. Plane train is closed. A lot of retail stores are still open (wtf). Central Sky Club open, deserted. The individual food servings are handy. Mask discipline good.
2) Plane itself. Pretty empty. Blocked middle seats, blocked pair seat for F which was nice.
3) ATL relatively not busy compared to normal. Mask discipline not so good. Sky Club people yelling at people to put their masks on.

On my return flight some dumb gently caress wouldn't put on a mask so we were delayed 30 minutes as the Delta people got a dude who looked like he played nose tackle in college to come talk to the guy, who was persuaded to put on his mask. gently caress that guy, I hope he dies.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm calling it, travel will begin to resume this summer. The UK announced tentative end dates,

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1363971476739805187?s=20

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I'm calling it, travel will begin to resume this summer. The UK announced tentative end dates,

Leisure, maybe. I don't think biz travel will return in volume for a while.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Will it ever return to where it was? That's the big question, especially for people in gigs that used to have high expectations of travel.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Personally,

I doubt business travel will ever return to the levels before coronavirus now that it's normal to work from home using Teams, WebEx, Zoom, etc. but I'm a little skeptical that large events will go away.

There's serious value in networking and actual real world human communication that I don't think will ever be replaced by any video conferencing program. I seriously miss being able to simply go into a office room with a group of people and use a whiteboard to solve a problem.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I was hugely more productive in a day and a half on site this week than I would have been with the same amount of time over Zoom, etc.

I think we'll be more selective in the future but there is such high utility in just being able to go harass people in person.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Will it ever return to where it was? That's the big question, especially for people in gigs that used to have high expectations of travel.

People are emotionally lazy, so of course it will.

It was nice to see people start getting used to video conferences and being better at communicating via email and documents, but a lot of people just suck at it, hate doing it and would rather have a meeting in person (i.e. "hold court") rather than put forth all of that "effort" that they feel is unnecessary. You also have people that somehow don't get fired but will duck every email, phone call and meeting invite.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

There's serious value in networking and actual real world human communication that I don't think will ever be replaced by any video conferencing program. I seriously miss being able to simply go into a office room with a group of people and use a whiteboard to solve a problem.

I deeply relate to the whiteboard part of this. It's simply not replaceable.

I'm also lining up a trip for an existing customer to close out a project because it's really hard to get the same intel for future opportunities in video conference vs over a couple drinks after the office.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think we'll be more selective in the future but there is such high utility in just being able to go harass people in person.

I deeply, deeply feel this statement - but I'm kind of worried about what will happen when Bob, the guy who does six hours of work a week but has deep knowledge you need, is working from home full time and can just ignore email/slack/teams/whatever. Being onsite is only useful if the people you need to talk to are also onsite.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Inner Light posted:

I know mine will return to where it was. We find that doing our training classes online isn't nearly as effective as the in person classes and it's a hell of a lot harder on our trainers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

I deeply, deeply feel this statement - but I'm kind of worried about what will happen when Bob, the guy who does six hours of work a week but has deep knowledge you need, is working from home full time and can just ignore email/slack/teams/whatever. Being onsite is only useful if the people you need to talk to are also onsite.

Good point.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was hugely more productive in a day and a half on site this week than I would have been with the same amount of time over Zoom, etc.

This. I also echo the need for sitting in a room with a whiteboard to map out and solve complex technical issues as a group. I've made it work but Miro and Mural aren't the same and never will be.

Since I'm technically on the sales side of things now, I do foresee a drop in trips to do discovery and things of that nature, but there will always be a need to go sit with the client and their teams to accomplish some things. And everyone likes drinks on somebody else's tab so that won't go away either.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I can tell you guys that medical conferences are itching to get back to in person. Turns out 90% of the reason people pay $600 for a conference registration fee is to get away from their families and catch up with their old med school/residency/etc friends. Virtual conferences are horrible and it turns out people aren't pumped to pay $600 for another meeting over zoom.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

I can tell you guys that medical conferences are itching to get back to in person. Turns out 90% of the reason people pay $600 for a conference registration fee is to get away from their families and catch up with their old med school/residency/etc friends. Virtual conferences are horrible and it turns out people aren't pumped to pay $600 for another meeting over zoom.

Not medical, but same opinion for my industry. I've done 4-5 virtual conferences, and the whole Zoom breakout room thing sucks. And how am I supposed to get a tote bag full of pens, post-its, stress balls, USB drives, portable chargers, and business card holders that will inevitably end up in the trash once I get home?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Travel was never shut down domestically and it still tanked. I don't expect corporate travel to start again just because official bans are lifted.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

DJCobol posted:

Not medical, but same opinion for my industry. I've done 4-5 virtual conferences, and the whole Zoom breakout room thing sucks. And how am I supposed to get a tote bag full of pens, post-its, stress balls, USB drives, portable chargers, and business card holders that will inevitably end up in the trash once I get home?

I bet the endless cold-calls and spam from the companies the organizers sell your information to work just fine though.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Guy Axlerod posted:

I bet the endless cold-calls and spam from the companies the organizers sell your information to work just fine though.
It's worse now. So much worse.

THE WORLD IS FALLING APART, SO LET'S SCHEDULE AN HOUR TO TALK ABOUT OUR INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Travel was never shut down domestically and it still tanked. I don't expect corporate travel to start again just because official bans are lifted.

No but having thing everything locked down killed it. Maybe I'm naïve but traveling during a pandemic is one thing but why bother going anywhere when every concert hall, bar and restaurant is closed?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Midjack posted:

Broken seat.

Mandalay posted:

federal air marshal

Don’t know what the issue was, but they must’ve booted some other poor sap ‘cause I boarded in 3D with no issues!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Cacafuego posted:

Don’t know what the issue was, but they must’ve booted some other poor sap ‘cause I boarded in 3D with no issues!

Clearly flying United F; getting flattened to 2D is only for coach.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

No but having thing everything locked down killed it. Maybe I'm naïve but traveling during a pandemic is one thing but why bother going anywhere when every concert hall, bar and restaurant is closed?

Idk man I get tired of sitting in the same chair in the same room staring at the same screen for now-unending hours every single day

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Big Jesus posted:

Idk man I get tired of sitting in the same chair in the same room staring at the same screen for now-unending hours every single day

Now now, I go from staring at the medium sized screens during the day to staring at the big screen at night. That's different!

Officer Koala Fart
Feb 26, 2014

Gun Saliva
Overheard yesterday at Logan:

TSA guy #1: You gettin the shot?
TSA guy #2: [snorts] gently caress no.

——————

Also, gently caress United again and again for managing to have completely full flights while airports are mostly empty. We flew a regional jet BOS to ORD rather than having some room to spread out.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Same kind of guys who realize they can self quarantine and get paid based solely on their word that someone they interacted with had a positive COVID test.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:lol: nope

American Air 737 MAX declared emergency after engine shutdown, lands safely

I have a work flight to Miami coming up. Good news, plenty of non-stop flights. Bad news - all 737MAXs.

I’ll find another way to get there, thanks.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

:lol: nope

American Air 737 MAX declared emergency after engine shutdown, lands safely

I have a work flight to Miami coming up. Good news, plenty of non-stop flights. Bad news - all 737MAXs.

I’ll find another way to get there, thanks.

The MAX is competing with Corona at this point for "hosed in terms of branding" -- arguably worse as at least the beer just had an unfortunate coincidence while the MAX's aggressive incompetence killed people. Delta has new A321s coming in to augment its 738s and 739s, right?

I mean I'm fully aware the engine shutdown / issue (hell airliner engines in general) is probably completely unrelated to the specific airframe but when it's the MAX, any news is bad news.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are there any tips/tricks for doing a status match for United? The last time I did a status match was a few years back where I went from Delta -> AA, and I think I was able to fly enough to qualify for Platinum (iirc). I stopped flying as much a while ago, which means my most recent AA status is Gold, which I think matches to United Silver?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
United Silver is pointless, I had it for free while I was Marriott Platinum (before titanium was a thing) and got pretty much zero use out of it.

Supposedly the airlines will only give you so many status matches in your lifetime (idk if this is true) so it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

You can get most of the benefits of the entry level frequent flier elite levels by having the credit card.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Is UA silver any worse than AA gold? I find gold incredibly useful and am pushing to get Marriott titanium this year mostly so that when I fly United I get similar benefits.

I mostly just care about leg room so being able to get into E+ for free is a big deal. Since there's always other elites getting upgraded, even on a basically full flight I can still snag an exit row at check in. Upgrades to first are neat but I'd actually rather have the leg room of an exit row than the width and food of domestic first.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mandalay posted:

United Silver is pointless, I had it for free while I was Marriott Platinum (before titanium was a thing) and got pretty much zero use out of it.

Supposedly the airlines will only give you so many status matches in your lifetime (idk if this is true) so it just doesn't seem worth it to me.

You can get most of the benefits of the entry level frequent flier elite levels by having the credit card.

Kase Im Licht posted:

Is UA silver any worse than AA gold? I find gold incredibly useful and am pushing to get Marriott titanium this year mostly so that when I fly United I get similar benefits.

I mostly just care about leg room so being able to get into E+ for free is a big deal. Since there's always other elites getting upgraded, even on a basically full flight I can still snag an exit row at check in. Upgrades to first are neat but I'd actually rather have the leg room of an exit row than the width and food of domestic first.

Yeah, having even minimum status from flying a few times a year is at least nice not to get the worst seats on the plane/being worried about finding space for an overhead bag.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I am Marriott titanium, which gets United silver status. I rarely fly United, but when I rent through hertz (usually weekly), I fill out the frequent flyer credit form to get 500 base United miles, plus 500 more for having United silver. That’s in addition to the hertz points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

movax posted:

The MAX is competing with Corona at this point for "hosed in terms of branding" -- arguably worse as at least the beer just had an unfortunate coincidence while the MAX's aggressive incompetence killed people. Delta has new A321s coming in to augment its 738s and 739s, right?

I mean I'm fully aware the engine shutdown / issue (hell airliner engines in general) is probably completely unrelated to the specific airframe but when it's the MAX, any news is bad news.

Delta mostly has A321s on order which is great because they are significantly more comfortable than the 737-9ERs that they bought.