Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Rytheric posted:

I'm the kind of guy who just wants to buy the property and be done with it and just accept the consequences and salvage what I can out of my purchase. So I'm inclined to buy it anyway.

If you want that you pay market price for well documented land, not cheap out on forgotten scraps of wasteland with title deficiencies.

corgski posted:

I'm assuming he's dealing with a seller's agent, (and since he doesn't have an agent himself he's getting hosed sideways by them) but who knows.

Maybe a private middleman for an absentee owner? That would fit the chaotic nature of the place.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
You got the opportunity to bail out, so do it. Bail out.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
remember how you were scammed out of pretend money for mining permits and everybody had a good laugh and you got your money back?

the seller is scamming you and he will absolutely not give any of the real actual money back

the land isnt even worth five grand; youve already mathed out it would take *at least* ten grand in cash alone to get it even marginally livable (not even counting labor which you absolutely should be figuring at your hourly rate with your company; your time is not 'free' no matter how much youve been convinced otherwise)

but really real talk? right now the land is worthless because you are the only actually interested buyer

yes boo hoo you have to move your ship but this is outright theft and he knows you are an easy mark

walk away from this and find a new spot

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They'll never know if you are living on the property underground

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The big advantage of the Truk is that you are not nailed down to a specific location.

I think you can find a much more entertainimg location for cheaper, there is a lot of cheap land in NC

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

taqueso posted:

They'll never know if you are living on the property underground

The goon missile silo was somewhere out west.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
So the seller is just a wholesaler who had a contract to sell the property which expires in March. He was going to sell it to me for $20,000 at $5000 down. The owner wanted $10,000 at $2000 down. So the wholesaler was going to walk away with $3000 down which he was going to expense to the survey and take off with the payments for the remainder $7000. The wholesaler got upset with the owner because the owner was taking too long and waived off his surveyor twice and backed off. He sold me the title search and equitable interest for $1000. He told me to knock on the owner's door with the paperwork he provided me and have him sign it for $10,000 as he agreed upon, but I had no idea who the lawyer and everything was so I was waiting on my lawyer.

In the mean time I went ahead and scheduled a soil scientist to confirm whether or not the land perks. Which was $600. So I've invested $1600 in the property so far.

I was cool with the price point at $10,000 because I was cool with the original $20,000 and was hoping to use that price difference to afford the permitting and such. As the total cost to buy im estimating to be roughly $7000-$10000 bringing me back to $20,000. I think im willing to buy for $15,000 to split the cost. But paying $20,000 while okay is rather unpleasant.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaam.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Holy poo poo dude you're being taken for a ride. Get an agent and start looking for land through them and accept that this is sunk costs on a literal scam.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

So the seller is just a wholesaler who had a contract to sell the property which expires in March. He was going to sell it to me for $20,000 at $5000 down. The owner wanted $10,000 at $2000 down. So the wholesaler was going to walk away with $3000 down which he was going to expense to the survey and take off with the payments for the remainder $7000. The wholesaler got upset with the owner because the owner was taking too long and waived off his surveyor twice and backed off. He sold me the title search and equitable interest for $1000. He told me to knock on the owner's door with the paperwork he provided me and have him sign it for $10,000 as he agreed upon, but I had no idea who the lawyer and everything was so I was waiting on my lawyer.

In the mean time I went ahead and scheduled a soil scientist to confirm whether or not the land perks. Which was $600. So I've invested $1600 in the property so far.

I was cool with the price point at $10,000 because I was cool with the original $20,000 and was hoping to use that price difference to afford the permitting and such. As the total cost to buy im estimating to be roughly $7000-$10000 bringing me back to $20,000. I think im willing to buy for $15,000 to split the cost. But paying $20,000 while okay is rather unpleasant.

So you've got a con man conning another con man and both of them see you as a mark.

Maybe they're right.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

HycoCam posted:

This is all happening somewhere in North Carolina?

So much....My #1 recommendation is to make sure you have a serious First Aid kit. Like bandages, tourniquets, blood stop, disinfectants, burn salvo--the works.

Second--if you legit have the cash to buy a parcel of land, think about engaging a professional when you know the area you want. If you want to buy the land you are going to at least need a real estate attorney to make sure there is a clear title and to record the sale. If you acquire the services of a real estate professional in the area they will have access to all the current inventory for sale. They will know what the challenges are for beginning development on a parcel and have all sorts of valuable knowledge.

Because if you are serious about building--you'll need permits. You'll need permits for everything--and you won't be getting any permits for an outhouse. Not in North Carolina and not if it is near navigable water. Outhouses can be permitted--but not on .75 acres--lol.

As for the power process. Your home is going to have electricity at some point, right? One of the first steps in building is having the inspector inspect and pass your temporary "saw" pole. Once your temp "saw" pole is legally permitted, the power company runs power to it and viola--you have a meter on your property with legit 240V electricity to run all your tools and lights. Because seriously--you'd build a house out of battery pack and hand tools and then when it is all done figure out the whole how do we get electricity to the property thing?

(Please don't tell me I missed the whole it is going to be an off-the grid solar project...on a .75 acre plot with neighbors. I missed it, didn't I?)

So it has a outhouse permit grandfathered in. I already spoke with the county about it, but once the building is built I have to abandon them. I have the codes and everything in the second post in this thread for the outhouse.

It also already has a power line to go to it. The outhouse area has a light pole too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

corgski posted:

Holy poo poo dude you're being taken for a ride. Get an agent and start looking for land through them and accept that this is sunk costs on a literal scam.

That's something that one just has to put up with, it's a given, so there is not reason to think about it or put a value on it.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Drone posted:

Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaam.

corgski posted:

Run, don't walk, and find new land with new strange quirks to get attached to.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

corgski posted:

2-1 that they don't even own the land they're 'selling'.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Please find another plot of cheap land, this really does sound like you're being taken for a ride.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Otacon posted:

Please find another plot of cheap land, this really does sound like you're being taken for a ride.

If I can get him to drop it to 15k then it would be better than the 16k property nearby. The seller of that land is selling it on behalf of the county and he says they it has to be perked for the county to sell it to an individual. I may check if that is truly the case. But if I can get him to drop it to at least that that might be worth it.

The 3 acres for $6,000 is looking favorable now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The little old lady next door who you would be giving part of the land to is in on the scam, too.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'm having trouble hearing over all the Scott Joplin music blaring out of this thread.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Everett False posted:

I don't know if "goon in a well" really applies when the goon in question isn't actually asking for advice on getting out of the well.

This is more like, some goons saw Ry lowering himself into a well and when they asked what the gently caress he said, "idk man, I like the vibe". Then they invited more goons to come see this dude in the well, and some of those goons said, "Why are you digging? That's not going to get you out of the well!" but Ry was like, "I just figured I'd make more room, I'm not trying to get out, I'm vibin." Other goons said, "There are legitimate safety concerns involved in being in a well" and Ry went "idk man this well has been here for a while" and when they said, "Yeah but now you've dug a room under it, also it might start to get moldy" he went, "Hm... I hadn't considered mold." Meanwhile there's a contingent of goons saying, "There is no good reason to dig yourself a room under a well, this is stupid, you shouldn't have done it, and there's no way you're going to be able to stay down there assuming you even did any digging down there at all, which I assume you didn't, because that would be stupid." To which Ry shrugged and said, "It seems fine so far, I guess we'll see how it goes. Do you want to see my new telescope? I'm thinking about turning it into a periscope so I can see out of the well without pulling myself up the bucket pulley system I built out of zipties."

:haibrower:

Rytheric posted:

All the being said. A wrench has been throw in the plan because the owner said he re-evaluated the land and now wants $20,000. I'm evaluating if I want to accept that. I was originally going to accept that when I was going to be buying it from the seller so now it's back up to the original cost. I told the seller about the owner doubling the price and he said that the owner is an a-hole and is a waste of time. The owner is justifying the price change by saying that the seller didn't give him time to get the paperwork together for a proper valuation and that the work he doesn't want to lose out on what he wasted on seeing if the land perked or not and the taxes he has paid over time and that the tax value for one property is 10k and they expect the value of the other property to be the same. Once it's cut off. (I imagine it's only 5k though)

My boss is telling me to walk and so are the geese whom I hold dear. Many are saying he is just trying to see how much he could get out of me. Unfortunately I have become somewhat emotionally attached to the property. The former seller is saying that the valuation is whatever yall decide upon regardless of the tax value and if I see value in it at 20k then go for it.

Perkable land across the rail tracks from the property is going for 16k for half the acreage, but I think the powerlines take up too much of the property and it doesn't have a well or pre-approved privys.

I also have an option of 3 acres near a different lake (would have to move my sailboat) for $6000 but i would have to go through the perc process there too for $3000 and it doesn't have a road but an easement that goes through 4 properties so it's got issues too.

I'm the kind of guy who just wants to buy the property and be done with it and just accept the consequences and salvage what I can out of my purchase. So I'm inclined to buy it anyway.

Edit: he told me to dwell on it for a week and then get back to him.

Walk. Focus on GroverTruk for now.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 25, 2021

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Rytheric posted:

So it has a outhouse permit grandfathered in. I already spoke with the county about it, but once the building is built I have to abandon them. I have the codes and everything in the second post in this thread for the outhouse.

It also already has a power line to go to it. The outhouse area has a light pole too.

While we're listing benefits don't forget a few feet of your neighbors house is also grandfathered into the property. You probably already have a useable half bath (though neighbor owns the other half).

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
So wait was the previous price 5k or 10k? I thought it was 5k.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I really want to see the Truk project continue. Please don't let these people take your money!

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

If you run from this scam land and finish the truck before starting on a land purchase project, we would all clap for you like you’re Shinji at the end of evangelion.

You’ve done your due diligence, good job, and that diligence says ABORT.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Rytheric posted:

If I can get him to drop it to 15k then it would be better than the 16k property nearby. The seller of that land is selling it on behalf of the county and he says they it has to be perked for the county to sell it to an individual. I may check if that is truly the case. But if I can get him to drop it to at least that that might be worth it.

Lol I didn’t realize you didn’t already own the land this thread is about. Don’t buy this property. There’s lots more land out there. 3 acres for 6k is not a bad bare-dirt price for rural land in the SE, and if the county is selling it, the title is probably at least clear.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

LOL means LOTS OF LAND (for sale that isn’t a scam)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rytheric posted:

Have you actually confirmed that Owner owns the land?

I would say bail and go get some land that isn't going to be as much trouble. You can get land all over for cheaper/less hassle/less scammy.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
JFC dude, bail the hell out, your the mark for two scammers. RUN AWAY.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Mr. Nice! posted:

Have you actually confirmed that Owner owns the land?

I would say bail and go get some land that isn't going to be as much trouble. You can get land all over for cheaper/less hassle/less scammy.

Yes. I have a title search and have looked up the previous septic reports and such on the land.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Yes. I have a title search and have looked up the previous septic reports and such on the land.

You have a "title search" that you paid $1,000 for by one of the people trying to scam you. What are the chances it's accurate?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I can do a double-check title search verification for just $100

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

If you or your lawyer didn't pay a reputable title search company yourself without involving the land's current "owner" or this random seller rear end in a top hat you don't have a title search.

corgski fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 25, 2021

schmug
May 20, 2007

taqueso posted:

I can do a double-check title search verification for just $100

I will do it for $75.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
This dog does not hunt. You really should stop target fixating on the price and walk away. This all sounds super shady and hosed up.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

You have a "title search" that you paid $1,000 for by one of the people trying to scam you. What are the chances it's accurate?

Pay $1000 for a title search was a scam for a title search. My company usually pays $400 for them. But I paid because the owner couldn't sell the property for the duration of February else the seller could have just given the contract to someone else. There is a general trend in my life that whenever I go to buy a piece of property someone buys it out from under me. So I wanted to freeze the owners ability to sell until I got the septic permit. I wasn't expecting him to double the price though.

oggb
Feb 19, 2021

schmug posted:

I will do it for $75.

Oh yeah? Well I'll do it for a handy behind the dumpster of my local waffle house!

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
If you spend $10 more and get yourself a platinum account, you can PM me. If you feel comfortable that I won't doxx you, you can tell me the county you're interested in and I can help you with either some listings or some names. I'm licensed in North Carolina for this kind of stuff.

This poo poo seems like amazing cocktail party banter if we ever get to have cocktail parties again...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There's a bunch of people being aggressively antagonistic though for no real reason other than they don't like what's goin on or being pissed their opinion isn't paramount. For one, just because Ry "isn't listening" to some rando rear end in a top hat on somethingawful.com doesn't mean he isn't listening to professionals because Ry has already stated he has asked professionals he works with and listens to what they say. Or maybe he isn't, but he really did plan to get that lawyer.

I mean he didn't really come here looking for your help, he's documenting his (mis)adventures because some people thought the forums would find it entertaining. So stop giving all of this land buying advice. You're bringing down the mood of the thread.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Everett False posted:

This is more like, some goons saw Ry lowering himself into a well and when they asked what the gently caress he said, "idk man, I like the vibe". Then they invited more goons to come see this dude in the well, and some of those goons said, "Why are you digging? That's not going to get you out of the well!" but Ry was like, "I just figured I'd make more room, I'm not trying to get out, I'm vibin." Other goons said, "There are legitimate safety concerns involved in being in a well" and Ry went "idk man this well has been here for a while" and when they said, "Yeah but now you've dug a room under it, also it might start to get moldy" he went, "Hm... I hadn't considered mold." Meanwhile there's a contingent of goons saying, "There is no good reason to dig yourself a room under a well, this is stupid, you shouldn't have done it, and there's no way you're going to be able to stay down there assuming you even did any digging down there at all, which I assume you didn't, because that would be stupid." To which Ry shrugged and said, "It seems fine so far, I guess we'll see how it goes. Do you want to see my new telescope? I'm thinking about turning it into a periscope so I can see out of the well without pulling myself up the bucket pulley system I built out of zipties."

Since you posted this, somebody has started filling the well.

Goons: "Get out of the well!"
Ry: "The guy pouring the water says it'll all work out, I think I'm going to keep digging."

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Rytheric posted:

There is a general trend in my life that whenever I go to buy a piece of property someone buys it out from under me. So I wanted to freeze the owners ability to sell until I got the septic permit.

You do that by making an offer and having an accepted offer sitting there contingent on all the tests you need to do passing, not by paying someone for a title search. There are contracts for this. Please get a realtor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

ellie the beep posted:

remember how you were scammed out of pretend money for mining permits and everybody had a good laugh and you got your money back?

the seller is scamming you and he will absolutely not give any of the real actual money back

Seriously though, listen to this person.