Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Wait did Tony start the sleaze thread? If so that's hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

sleep with the vicious posted:

Wait did Tony start the sleaze thread? If so that's hilarious

he did. wrestling is very funny

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

shoot job running a football team

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The posting is coming from inside the thread

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

You know one of the last guys with a Jags avatar didn't fare so well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!

hey Tony

where's Jamie Hayter :argh:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Restrain Bad Dustin no longer you coward.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

You know one of the last guys with a Jags avatar didn't fare so well.
oof

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I loved the argument Dave and Bryan had about Priest selling for Garza, because they had the same argument almost verbatim the last time someone was called up to the main roster, whose name I now can't remember.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1365052111361249280

So Tony almost certainly won Best Booker then.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I mean poo poo, who else deserved it this year?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

remusclaw posted:

I figured Gedo would lose out after nobody liked Evil's title run.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

remusclaw posted:

NOSAWA Rongai.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
That is actually a super salient point, but I think even with our board's outsized western NOAH support contingent, I don't know if a NOSAWA campaign would be enough to oust Big Bicep Tony. (I am talking about in the context of a PSP award vote similar in structure to the Wrestling Observer awards, the Observer fans are even less likely)

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 25, 2021

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How many Observer readers even know who the NOAH booker is

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think you could also say something about the voting period having a good, definitive end to Mox's reign whereas Go was heading into a match/outcome that people were really sour on.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1365055502183448577?s=20

Tony with the clean sweep?!!?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

almost certainly best booker and promoter at minimum

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

almost certainly best booker and promoter at minimum

Best Weekly Show too.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Best Biceps

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

karmicknight posted:

That is actually a super salient point, but I think even with our board's outsized western NOAH support contingent, I don't know if a NOSAWA campaign would be enough to oust Big Bicep Tony. (I am talking about in the context of a PSP award vote similar in structure to the Wrestling Observer awards, the Observer fans are even less likely)

Yeah, obviously he's not going to win, but the question was "who else deserves it?" & NOSAWA did tremendous stuff both from a business & entertainment perspective.

I'd also say...I guess Sanshiro Takagi is the DDT booker? He did some great stuff over the year. For that matter Dragon Gate booking was also very good last year, with the way they built up the new rookie class.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Listening to a billionaire talk about how he used to do the html for some wrestler's website is loving wild

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!

Royal Updog posted:

Best Biceps

Only because Dave isn’t allowed on the ballot

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

remusclaw posted:

Don Callis purely for making Impact relevant in 2021.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Everyone is overlooking Emi Sakura for a best booker nom.

Chocopro had great storylines and matches with a very thin roster and managed to survive an existential threat to the promotion.

There's nobody who did more with less.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

fez_machine posted:

Chocopro had great storylines and matches with a very thin roster and managed to survive an existential threat to the promotion.

fez_machine is right

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I am guessing best booker and promoter and then pretty much aew taking all the best of's in areas where they were applicable.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, gotta admit, I wasnt really up to date on these mentioned alternatives. I think it's likely that pretty much going from nothing to what it is now would have probably clinched a ton of these awards for AEW anyhow, even if the alternatives were better known. That said, I have been intending to watch more Tokyo Joshi Pro, and now I guess NOAH goes back on the list as well. It's been a while since I have been that interested in NOAH.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 26, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

drat Dave and Tony did molly before this interview

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I don't believe Meltzer requires drugs. Meltzer is drugs.

Tony's always hosed.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

fez_machine posted:

ChocoPro is absolutely an innovation in professional wrestling, but its happening on such a scale that it would never win awards based on votes. Emi Sakura should get into the Observer Hall of Fame because of it, though.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Jordan7hm posted:

Listening to a billionaire talk about how he used to do the html for some wrestler's website is loving wild
No, he did HTML for tape trader/dealer John McAdam's website in exchange for free tapes.

Say what you will about Tony and his family being incredibly rich, but—probably because his parents are first generation wealthy—it seems like his mom and dad made a point of not just pampering him and giving him everything.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

"Tony if you keep spending your allowance on football teams you're going to have to get a job to pay for rasslin videos. We work in this house."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Wrap it up WWEail...successes?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I don’t follow Lucha at all but if CMLL was worse than WWE in 2020 it must be absolutely rancid and I want to know why and how

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

How would you even make a worse show than WWE? If you have worse wrestlers, I actually won't hate the show as much because my expectations will be lower.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Seams posted:

I don’t follow Lucha at all but if CMLL was worse than WWE in 2020 it must be absolutely rancid and I want to know why and how

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1365111635673776129

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

They barely ran shows and the shows were really boring but in terms of overall badness WWE was much worse. But as a "successful promotion" sense nothing CMLL did was good after February. WWE at least made a lot of money!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WWE gave up trying years ago, that last category is unfair as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

CMLL didn't even have to rent a Thunderdome, they own the goddamn venue.