Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
well at least the salvage value of the car that the insurance company quoted me isn't just a made up number because I already have salvage yards offering me money in the ballpark so that's nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I speak for the trees and pronounce your judgment.

Treble.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Feelix please get a policy with real UIM, it's like an extra hundred bucks and it's the difference between walking away from some surprise bumper cars with six figures of cash in your pocket or six figures of medical debt. Minimum policies are a scam to make profit for insurance companies.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Nonexistence posted:

Feelix please get a policy with real UIM, it's like an extra hundred bucks and it's the difference between walking away from some surprise bumper cars with six figures of cash in your pocket or six figures of medical debt. Minimum policies are a scam to make profit for insurance companies.

I don't think this is universally true, and would depend on if my health insurance (which is decent, not the cheapest policy I could find or anything) covers healthcare costs beyond my PIP, which probably depends on state laws? Another thing to research.

E: looks like in Florida health insurance works for car accidents after the auto insurance is exhausted

feelix fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 25, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

you should absolutely get UIM, it's cheap and is the only relatively sure way to make sure you get paid out if the person that hits you has a minimum bodily injury policy (in florida that's just $10k) and you suffer any injury that requires hospitalization or any kind of rehab or surgery

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 25, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

feelix posted:

I don't think this is universally true, and would depend on if my health insurance (which is decent, not the cheapest policy I could find or anything) covers healthcare costs beyond my PIP, which probably depends on state laws? Another thing to research.

E: looks like in Florida health insurance works for car accidents after the auto insurance is exhausted

Did you check with your not the cheapest health insurance company to see if every hospital, ambulance, and life flight company everywhere you might travel is in network?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

bird with big dick posted:

Did you check with your not the cheapest health insurance company to see if every hospital, ambulance, and life flight company everywhere you might travel is in network?
Many aren't, but my out-of-network out-of-pocket maximum is 12k so much, much lower than "six figures". Is there some fine print that ambulance rides aren't included in that?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Outrail posted:

Who would win in a lawyer fight: Dog Law or Tree Law?

Dog Law (quite literally) pisses on Tree Law!

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

feelix posted:

Many aren't, but my out-of-network out-of-pocket maximum is 12k so much, much lower than "six figures". Is there some fine print that ambulance rides aren't included in that?

And to compensate you for your potentially life altering injuries, you only have to pay $12k instead of receive $500k! That $100 saved per year was worth it!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

euphronius posted:

Horse law is another good one

Please share stories of horse law with us.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

therobit posted:

Please share stories of horse law with us.

Varies depending on state and whether or not there’s fringe on the nag.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Eminent Domain posted:

I speak for the trees and pronounce your judgment.

Treble.

Truffalaw

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

EwokEntourage posted:

what would be better: Pegasus law (bird / horse) or griffin law (bird / exotic pet)
Pegasus law, because griffin law would get you bar complaints for lion in the courtroom.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

what would be better: Pegasus law (bird / horse) or griffin law (bird / exotic pet)

Pegasus law would pay better and be much stupider bc of the horse people.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Pegasus law is absolutely a real thing.

https://tucson.com/news/local/tucson-businesswoman-lisa-frank-settles-copyright-lawsuit/article_b77fe0ce-5ddb-11e8-808b-e7a2b6535e6e.html

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

This bullshit is part of the reason why travel insurance companies jack the cost up as soon as you click USA into your itinerary.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

blarzgh posted:

Pegasus law would pay better and be much stupider bc of the horse people.

Griffin law would make for more Netflix original series though.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

homullus posted:

Griffin law would make for more Netflix original series though.

Hagrid is basically Joe Exotic

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nonexistence posted:

Hagrid is basically Joe Exotic

Hagrid is a decent person though.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Here's a fun horse law: Thoroughbred racehorses cannot be conceived through artificial insemination and also compete as racehorses. So there are people who's job it is to watch horses gently caress, because otherwise the foals don't sell for as much.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Outrail posted:

Who would win in a lawyer fight: Dog Law or Tree Law?

Seal cub law

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

feelix posted:

Google “balance billing.”

I bet your insurance doesn’t work how you think it does.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Google “balance billing.”

I bet your insurance doesn’t work how you think it does.

I'm pretty experienced with insurance costs, since getting shoulder surgeries seems to be a hobby of mine (I've had five) so I've done a lot of research regarding non-emergency care and mostly it's worked exactly how I expect but all of those were in-network and I understand that things may work differently when I'm in a coma and need a helicopter ride.

I think it's pretty obvious that the sweet spot for which insurance to buy is somewhere between "none" and "all of it". Knowing that balance billing exists does not help me pick a spot on this spectrum, I need to know what documents to check from my actual policy in my state.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Here’s how I predict your hypothetical getting life flighted by an out of network provider in a coma scenario would work out:

Your insurance company bills this as in network because it to an emergency, as required by the ACA.

Which means they only pay the in network rate, which is probably about 11 grand.

The life flighter, since they don’t have a fee agreement with your insurance provider, is not constrained in how much they can bill you, which means they’re probably going to bill you about 70 grand.

You are, personally, on the hook for that $59,000 disparity.

Whether or not I am correct is between you and your insurance coverage paperwork but I would not gamble on your out of network out of pocket maximum protecting you from costs above the allowed amount for a service that a provider may charge. Covered charges apply to OOP maximums. Non covered charges do not, and these are going to be non covered charges.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Here’s how I predict your hypothetical getting life flighted by an out of network provider in a coma scenario would work out:

Mind you that several states have enacted laws that prohibit balance billing in certain scenarios, and emergency services are almost always part of those laws.

Also IIRC next year a federal law goes in to effect that prevents balance billing for air ambulances.

edit: checked back a few posts and OP is in FL, which has pretty strict laws regarding balance billing and it looks like they specify that air ambulance services cannot balance bill. Not a lawyer, so there might be some way around it, but it seems pretty clear to me.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 26, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ok OP you can keep your lovely insurance, maybe, as long as you never venture outside the state of Florida and/or you wait until after the end of this year to get into an accident.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

VanSandman posted:

Here's a fun horse law: Thoroughbred racehorses cannot be conceived through artificial insemination and also compete as racehorses. So there are people who's job it is to watch horses gently caress, because otherwise the foals don't sell for as much.

Wonder if the stallions lobbied for that law (or maybe Mike Pence).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
If you're driving around in a car worth $14,000 you need to have comprehensive. Like everyone else in here says, you should also have UIM and PIP, as well as higher than the state-mandated minimum of liability.

The insurance isn't so much car insurance as it is gently caress-off insurance; you get rear-ended, you put in a claim, the other person's insurance says that they're underinsured, you go to your insurance and say "hand me my check then gently caress off." Someone else lets their car roll back into yours at a stoplight, then claims $100,000 in chiropractor bills, you go to your claims adjuster and tell him to tell them to gently caress off.

Or just go out and spend too much on a car now, then decide you don't want to spend an extra $400 a year to fully cover your $25,000 investment, so two months after you drive it off the lot some rear end in a top hat totals it in a hit-and-run and you're told to gently caress off by your insurance company because you don't have comprehensive or UIM.

EDIT: IANAL, just used to work for lawyers who worked for insurance companies. You should have renters/homeowners insurance, too.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Oh yeah the part where I can just call Progressive in the event of any accident and they send me a tow truck and give me a rental immediately and figure everything else out later is incredibly appealing and I'm gonna marry at least enough insurance to qualify for that privilege from now on

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

feelix posted:

I'm gonna marry at least enough insurance to qualify for that privilege from now on

If you can't marry rich, at least marry well-insured

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Ah but if I get completely screwed by lack of insurance I will only feel like an idiot once

If I pay for insurance I do not need I will feel like an idiot every month!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

homullus posted:

If you can't marry rich, at least marry well-insured

And if you can't marry well insured, at least marry well endowed

:wink:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ask/Tell>Friendship Ended With Legal Questions: Insurance Questions Are New Best Friend

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Also, you might get in a wreck with a very valuable car. I saw a Brabus 800 on the way back from lunch, that's like a $300,000+ SUV. Definitely up your maximums, at the very least, seems to be good advice for most people.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Umbrella policies, which cover your liability for (almost) any moronic thing you do, are also pretty cheap.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

just gonna throw in that while you might have fantastic health insurance, do all of your passengers always?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Ok OP you can keep your lovely insurance, maybe, as long as you never venture outside the state of Florida and/or you wait until after the end of this year to get into an accident.

Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to say.

God forbid anyone mention the laws that specifically address the conversation at hand in the legal questions thread. That would just be silly.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

just gonna throw in that while you might have fantastic health insurance, do all of your passengers always?

Just post a waiver on the door where they assume all liabilities by opening the door and sitting down.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

Brave of you to assume I have any friends to ride with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DaveSauce posted:

Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to say.

God forbid anyone mention the laws that specifically address the conversation at hand in the legal questions thread. That would just be silly.

I’m not saying that’s what you were trying to say I’m saying that’s literally what he needs to keep in mind if he’s going to continue having trash insurance.