Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

stillvisions posted:

I think for me CR sets off memories of being cornered by someone and talked at about their character/D&D game. Only now, it's fans of CR telling me about someone else's D&D game. I've spent countless hours in the part with TTRPGs, I'm happy this has given RPGs a whole new player base, but watching/listening isn't my thing. I'm happy it's given other people something to enjoy, however.

I love tabletop poo poo but oh man, having someone talk at you about their character or game is just the worst. I've got nothing else important to say here. It's just the absolute worst experience if it's not like, something you actively want to engage a friend with because you're interested in their character and want to know what's going on with their game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

RareAcumen posted:

Oh no no no, it's totally different. See, he was an amoral flippant arms dealer and designer in the first 22 minutes of the movie but after being kidnapped by Al Qaeda he's born again and doesn't do that anymore. :) It's fine, he's good and we don't have to think about the fact that he was helping fuel the war on terror for years beforehand.

I mean character development is a thing.
But considering he and his company has still indirectly helped create half of the marvel villain lineup, I don't think the situation improved much anyway.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I liked Tony in the first movie but by Civil war when he was putting his friends into ocean jail he was just the worst guy and its unfortunate Infinity War took the story in a 'paranoid reactionary tonty stark was 100% right about the threat from outer space now he gets to die a hero after saving literally half of all life in the universe' imo.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

I liked Tony in the first movie but by Civil war when he was putting his friends into ocean jail he was just the worst guy and its unfortunate Infinity War took the story in a 'paranoid reactionary tonty stark was 100% right about the threat from outer space now he gets to die a hero after saving literally half of all life in the universe' imo.

It's shocking how right wing the Disney Marvel movies are. Even more shocking when they dress up that stuff with surface level woke stuff.

e. maybe not right wing, and just "American"? which, well, same thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

There's tons involving Butch Hartman but this is the first I'm hearing about Jimmy Neutron. I think there was something about some weird christian recruitment kickstarter thing that he wasn't being upfront about? Something along those lines.

The Butch Hartman stuff is going on to this day!

https://twitter.com/cappacs/status/1363787104073916419

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

It's shocking how right wing the Disney Marvel movies are. Even more shocking when they dress up that stuff with surface level woke stuff.

I just saw the most recent Spiderman, where the plot was that Iron Man made a swarm of drones in space that could be used to kill anyone on the planet and the only bad thing about it is that a bad guy might get control of it. Those movies are not going to age well at all.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

To be fair, those plot beats were taken bit by bit from the Civil War comic book. It was written before RDJ Tony Stark when Iron Man wasn't really popular or had much personality aside from "Rich alcoholic with a iron suit". So the right wing/Libertarian bend was already baked into the product before Disney got it.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I love tabletop poo poo but oh man, having someone talk at you about their character or game is just the worst. I've got nothing else important to say here. It's just the absolute worst experience if it's not like, something you actively want to engage a friend with because you're interested in their character and want to know what's going on with their game.

It’s like listening to someone talking about that really kooky dream they had last night and expecting you to be as amazed as them.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Bakeneko posted:

It’s like listening to someone talk about that really kooky dream they had last night and expecting you to be as amazed as them.

I dunno, I was amazed at one of my manager's nightmares where I hung myself in her apartment. She was super emotional despite that fact that I had only been working there a month.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I like hearing people talk about their campaigns because it's not a one-way street if you engage them. Of course if someone is talking at you and not with you that's annoying.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I just saw the most recent Spiderman, where the plot was that Iron Man made a swarm of drones in space that could be used to kill anyone on the planet and the only bad thing about it is that a bad guy might get control of it. Those movies are not going to age well at all.

Far From Home was surreal since that aspect is what they kept under wraps in trailers and its so bad. It doesn't even make sense because in Endgame Tony gets explicitly mad over not being allowed to make something like that, so I guess he did it during the years where Peter was dead and he was trying to walk away from everything?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BFC posted:

I like hearing people talk about their campaigns because it's not a one-way street if you engage them. Of course if someone is talking at you and not with you that's annoying.
I'd say the good dividing line is if it's a story about something weird happening or the story in the game, vs if someone is trying to explain the game stats or something completely non-interactive that didn't involve the other players. The former can be interesting the latter almost never is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BFC posted:

Yeah. I used to work at a game store and got a lot of the 'let me tell you about my character I hope you have a sack lunch ready we'll be here a while' type recounting. CR feels very different. (For one thing I can pause them and go get something to drink.)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That movie didn’t sit well with me because it’s about Peter fighting against the hero life forced upon him, and instead of learning some lesson as to why he wants to make the sacrifice, it feels like a military guy guilt-tripping a kid into giving up his childhood to be another freelance soldier for them. Even worse since it’s not really a spontaneous emergency but largely a fabrication leading Peter down that path.

The character interactions are real good though, and Simmons returning as JJ but reimagined as an Alex Jones type shock jock is so brilliant it’s worth keeping in spoilers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The cast is largely enjoyable, and my favorite parts of the movie by far are the interactions between the students and the teachers. They do some great comic business at the end when they're fighting the drone in a museum and that one dork is tensely waving a giant medieval pike around in the background all through the scene.

I feel like they did a good job re-imagining Mary Jane as someone who isn't wildly out of Peter Parker's league and creating a much better dynamic where you could plausibly see why they would be interested in each other. Ditto for making Flash Thompson another weirdo nerd who even Bill from Freaks and Geeks thinks is weird for being so fixated on bullying Peter Parker.

The superhero stuff is the worst part of all of it. I don't even remember why Jake Gyllenhaal wanted the SDI drone thing, unless it was to ransom stuff or something dumb. Hard agree that the basic plot of a CIA guy blackmailing a kid into doing what he wants is not a good hook for a spiderman story.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Mysterio in Far From Home is great because he's basically a really bad film director who pretends he's responsible for all of the work his film crew does.

Tony having kill drones kind of needs to made a point of later down the line where we're far enough away from his death that the movies can see Tony's actions for what they were, but I doubt that'll happen because Tony was the protagonist of the MCU(Cap was deuteragonist don't lie to yourself).

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I feel like they did a good job re-imagining Mary Jane as someone who isn't wildly out of Peter Parker's league and creating a much better dynamic where you could plausibly see why they would be interested in each other. Ditto for making Flash Thompson another weirdo nerd who even Bill from Freaks and Geeks thinks is weird for being so fixated on bullying Peter Parker.

Jenny Nicholson was right once again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_AqezinXM

(But yeah, it's nice that there is more teen media out there now that isn't promoting the weird high-school clique-hierarchy stuff that was mostly old boomer stereotypes that continued on decades after it was relevant almost entirely because of the way it kept being promoted in teen-focused media.)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BFC posted:

Mysterio in Far From Home is great because he's basically a really bad film director who pretends he's responsible for all of the work his film crew does.

Tony having kill drones kind of needs to made a point of later down the line where we're far enough away from his death that the movies can see Tony's actions for what they were, but I doubt that'll happen because Tony was the protagonist of the MCU(Cap was deuteragonist don't lie to yourself).

to be fair. i do like how most of the threats and poo poo are because tony hosed around with weapons or went full paranoid surveillance man or went full narc or pick whichever. but yeah pretty much. i liked mysterio, i liked that they knew that everyone would know the "twist" but still made it great and the dude is just mad because tony actually used his ideas for an actual good thing.

Archer666 posted:

To be fair, those plot beats were taken bit by bit from the Civil War comic book. It was written before RDJ Tony Stark when Iron Man wasn't really popular or had much personality aside from "Rich alcoholic with a iron suit". So the right wing/Libertarian bend was already baked into the product before Disney got it.

yeah. i always liked cap more personally.

LanceHunter posted:

Jenny Nicholson was right once again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC_AqezinXM

(But yeah, it's nice that there is more teen media out there now that isn't promoting the weird high-school clique-hierarchy stuff that was mostly old boomer stereotypes that continued on decades after it was relevant almost entirely because of the way it kept being promoted in teen-focused media.)

exactly, they nail the dynamics and the weird teenage poo poo.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

BFC posted:

I hate to handwave the murder drones away, but the point of them was Tony's obsession about protecting Earth. He was traumatized after Avengers and wanted to protect Earth at all cost which led him to create Ultron, push hard for the Sokovia Accords, and obviously build the murder drones.

I mean, yeah something like that would not and should not fly in real life, but we didn't have a purple Hitler with the power to magically wipe out half the universe with a snap.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

volts5000 posted:

I hate to handwave the murder drones away, but the point of them was Tony's obsession about protecting Earth. He was traumatized after Avengers and wanted to protect Earth at all cost which led him to create Ultron, push hard for the Sokovia Accords, and obviously build the murder drones.

I mean, yeah something like that would not and should not fly in real life, but we didn't have a purple Hitler with the power to magically wipe out half the universe with a snap.
As a representation of Tony's paranoia and tendency to overcorrect, the murder drones are fine storytelling.

But firstly, the drones must have been made after Thanos happened, and secondly they were connected to a huge spying database with commands at the ready to assassinate anyone the user considered a threat; They're literally Project Insight II.

Tony might've intended to make a suit of armor around the world but he also did not trust anyone but him and his. That's actually p cool story telling if the writers recognize that's villainous af.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Sure, I just wish they didn't then try to paper over them with thin surface level woke-ism. that's just disney.txt though.

BFC posted:

As a representation of Tony's paranoia and tendency to overcorrect, the murder drones are fine storytelling.

But firstly, the drones must have been made after Thanos happened, and secondly they were connected to a huge spying database with commands at the ready to assassinate anyone the user considered a threat; They're literally Project Insight II.

Tony might've intended to make a suit of armor around the world but he also did not trust anyone but him and his. That's actually p cool story telling if the writers recognize that's villainous af.

yeah, watching that one Avengers movie with Capt. Americas getting angsty about that stuff was good for a minute, but it barely paid off. Instead it was incredibly "both sides".

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

BFC posted:

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the drones were built after Thanos. Tony did have stuff like the Hulkbuster armor floating out there, and the drones don't seem that different in scope. They're certainly not "armor around the planet" type technology, more "take out a medium-to-large sized localized threat" level.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

It's a tiny bit retcon-y but Tony had two chances to bring them out during Thanos' happy fun time with malthusianism and so I'm gonna give the writers the benefit of the doubt and say they were built during the time skip because failing to bring out murder bots during an all out skirmish twice over is a bit harder for me to suspend my disbelief for.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

BFC posted:

It's a tiny bit retcon-y but Tony had two chances to bring them out during Thanos' happy fun time with malthusianism and so I'm gonna give the writers the benefit of the doubt and say they were built during the time skip because failing to bring out murder bots during an all out skirmish twice over is a bit harder for me to suspend my disbelief for.

Well, during Infinity War Tony was on Titan and the drones were in Earth's atmosphere, so that's not really a chance. As for Endgame, Tony and his armor in the midst of things seems like it would be the single most effective weapon in Tony's arsenal, hanging back and manually controlling a bunch of drones probably isn't even a distant second.

The drones were a serious threat against Spider-Man, but I doubt Thanos would've been even mildly phased by them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The fact that Thanos grabbed magic and tore it off of his arm in Infinity War doesn't get enough discussion, in my opinion.

Tony's drones seem like they'd be a problem for anyone besides Hulk, Thor, Black Panther, Valkyrie maybe, Ant-Man and Wasp.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The worst crime the Marvel movies are guilty of is not giving us the Thanos Copter.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

To add a suggestion of ttrpg stuff to watch.

Thrilling Intent is an excellent and funng ttrpg series. I would recommend anyone to give it a watch.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nine-gear crow posted:

The worst crime the Marvel movies are guilty of is not giving us the Thanos Copter.

this very unironically is kinda their core issue. Except for a few rare ones (basically anything with Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man in the title) the Marvel non-comic media stuff seem actively afraid of being seen as 'goofy'...but they're loving comic book movies and TV shows where a giant purple man fights a defrosted boomer with a magic shield. Instead of turning into that poo poo with at least a wink to the comics' sillier sides like 'remember when Thanos had a weird helicopter he used' or 'literally anything about Iron Man that wasn't the weird deep dive into his alcoholism' they just make every movie or TV show the same lovely action drama. WandaVision's closest they come to having fun but even then they're stuck with the burden of stuff like 'remember when we made the Jewish and Romani brother and sister nazis?' at times.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

sexpig by night posted:

this very unironically is kinda their core issue. Except for a few rare ones (basically anything with Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant-Man in the title) the Marvel non-comic media stuff seem actively afraid of being seen as 'goofy'...but they're loving comic book movies and TV shows where a giant purple man fights a defrosted boomer with a magic shield. Instead of turning into that poo poo with at least a wink to the comics' sillier sides like 'remember when Thanos had a weird helicopter he used' or 'literally anything about Iron Man that wasn't the weird deep dive into his alcoholism' they just make every movie or TV show the same lovely action drama. WandaVision's closest they come to having fun but even then they're stuck with the burden of stuff like 'remember when we made the Jewish and Romani brother and sister nazis?' at times.

I mean Thanos in the comics hasnt been that goofy in forever either. But I would have been okay with them bringing his more recent and still insane aspects into the movie universe.
You know, like his love for literally Death.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 25, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think Spidey Super Stories is ripe for a modern tv adaptation. I could easily see this iteration of Spiderman taking on The Wall or that Napoleon boxing lady.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

i like the marvel movies but i get the point. its why i like the reeves superman movies and the burton batman movies the best at the end of the day. also because i am that dickhead, cap is a greatest generation not a boomer. the difference is one fought nazis and the latter kisses their boots.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also, I'm not watching the #SnyderCut, but I can be drat certain that it will not include any scenes of Darkseid just casually chilling in someone's living room just waiting for them to get home and discover him there as a means of starting a menacing conversation with them:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, Captain America would have to have been born about a hundred years ago now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DeafNote posted:

I mean Thanos in the comics hasnt been that goofy in forever either. But I would have been okay with them bringing his more recent and still insane aspects into the movie universe.
You know, like his love for literally Death.

yea even without the copter they could have at least kept the literal canon motivation for Thanos of 'I want to gently caress Death'.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
A real play D&D podcast is just longform improv to me so I like the ones that are more like funny radio plays personally.

Rude Tales is very good. If you like Branson Reese's weird comics then you'll probably have a good time listening. If StirFry seems a bit much I will say he does get better as his character develops but honestly if annoying scretching characters aren't funny to you you probably won't like 90% of the voices Branson uses anyway.

I like TaZ too but a lot of people went off it after they ended the first Arc. The arcs are standalone and the 2nd and 3rd haven't been as strong but I still enjoy a gentle D&D adventure with my favorite boys (and their dad).

I tried listening to some if the Penny Arcade D&D stuff (look they've got a second podcast with Kris Straub on it please don't judge me) but I found it completely impenetrable.

Oh and Bombarded is cute one, the gimmick being that the players are all in a real life band together and they all play bards attending a bard school. The neat thing is that each episode the players will stop to write and perform a completely original song as part of the plot, even going so far as to roll dice to choose the instrumentation. They do the writing part off mic but its a fun idea and I feel like I actually learned some very basic music theory from listening which is nice.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

sexpig by night posted:

yea even without the copter they could have at least kept the literal canon motivation for Thanos of 'I want to gently caress Death'.

This was one of the things that annoyed me a whole lot as well, "Duh world like overpopulated and poo poo so I'm gonna dust snap some people" is so much more lame and crappy than the pretty baller "I want Lady Death to notice me, so I'm going megadeath on the world" original/real motivation.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, I'm not watching the #SnyderCut, but I can be drat certain that it will not include any scenes of Darkseid just casually chilling in someone's living room just waiting for them to get home and discover him there as a means of starting a menacing conversation with them:

Might take you up on that bet
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1358838021043482624?s=19

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SON OF A BTICH

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

i like darkseid as the soft spoken evil super tyrant dude who has total power and confidence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phWcmwlpjQo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

This was one of the things that annoyed me a whole lot as well, "Duh world like overpopulated and poo poo so I'm gonna dust snap some people" is so much more lame and crappy than the pretty baller "I want Lady Death to notice me, so I'm going megadeath on the world" original/real motivation.

Wait, so the lazy utilitarian argument was added? :psyduck: