Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

stev posted:

I like Yakuza 7's approach - in the open world you've got enough room on the map to skirt around enemies if you want to, and you can run from them if they spot you. In dungeons you can't avoid them but there's a set amount of enemies to get through so you're not punished by constant random battles if you go the wrong way or need to backtrack.

I don't think "more of the same" was the sum total of the review.

Yakuza 7 also had an item near the end game that disabled all street encounters too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Game's out now and

it forces you to sit through 5 cutscenes before you get access to the main menu in order to change settings

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Are they good cutscenes tho

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DeathSandwich posted:

It's probably like FF6 Realm and Sketch.

That’s exactly what it is, yeah. I think the new jobs and shake ups of existing jobs are cool (Red Mage has its own set of spells instead of just using low-level black & white ones) so hopefully that will keep my attention long enough to get through the game, if it is a slog.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That’s exactly what it is, yeah. I think the new jobs and shake ups of existing jobs are cool (Red Mage has its own set of spells instead of just using low-level black & white ones) so hopefully that will keep my attention long enough to get through the game, if it is a slog.

Oh huh, Red Mage having its own set of spells is a good touch. That's something the FFXII Zodiac versions did as well.

Though I noticed that the FFXII Red Mage spells seem to be on the Arcanist job in BD2, including Ardor.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
The reviews aren't super surprising. Bravely Default walks a thin line between very traditional and refreshingly innovative, and it seems they didn't quite nail the balance this time

Still, I find myself really craving a cozy, charming JRPG, so I'll pick it up when it launches tonight

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Having played a bit, game seems like a clear downgrade. It's still good but aside from the graphics and music everything seems a bit worse than in Bravely Second.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I found my copy of the original bravely default so I started a new game of that to see if I can finish it this time. Will still probably pick up 2 later but I think I’m good for now

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

can you not change the order of your party members anymore? :negative:
update: you cannot

they let you change who's in front in the first demo but for mysterious reasons they removed this in the second demo and in the final game. You're stuck playing as the generic dude.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you'd have told me back in 2015 that Bravely "Third" would have been coming out and you could play it on an actual TV, I'd have kissed you on your bottom cheeks and hailed you a saviour of the world.

But everything about Bravely Default II from both demos I've played and reaction seems is very disappointing. I'll hope for the rare Nintendo game super discount.
They even hosed the name up.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
In the past games I would click every corner and odd looking spot in hopes of finding an invisible item, a lowly potion or phoenix down. I've just started this game and I haven't found anything like that yet in the first town aside from an out of the way chest. Do these invisible items exist in this game?

I've spent the last half hour just cutting grass and it feels so nice so I'm happy with the game thus far.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 26, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At this point I'm sort of waiting to see videos/impressions of later-game gameplay. I want to know if the jobs, character/team building, and battle system stay interesting throughout the game. That's probably going to be the main deciding factor on whether I get it. Is there a meaningful difference between spellcaster jobs other than what damage types they have access to, for example? Are there jobs that have unique mechanics and skills that really mess with things?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RFX posted:

This from the Polygon review jumped out to me:

Either the boss fights are just incredibly poorly designed or the reviewer failed to actually grasp the mechanics of characters/abilities.

In that situation would you not simply make everybody an electric, and keep your other strategy on their subclass?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

complaining about cutscenes at the beginning of the game is goofy, it's like fifteen minutes before you can pull up a main menu

also I started with a fish in my inventory that mentions luring aquatic monsters into "continuous battle," so it seems maybe there's something like there was in Bravely Second after all?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

grieving for Gandalf posted:

complaining about cutscenes at the beginning of the game is goofy, it's like fifteen minutes before you can pull up a main menu

also I started with a fish in my inventory that mentions luring aquatic monsters into "continuous battle," so it seems maybe there's something like there was in Bravely Second after all?
I really dislike the voice acting and the game won't let you change it until you've gone through the cutscenes, that's all

chaining does seem to be in, in a couple of different forms. There's those food items that talk about continuous battle and also if you get a group of overworld mobs close to each other you'll battle each one after the other (and gain chain bonus for jp)

another early game observation is that it seems like the faster mobs don't actually chase you but run in a direct line towards you, giving you a chance to avoid them (assuming enough space of course)

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

How much does being overloaded matter? Just a speed penalty or something?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I just got my copy in the mail today (from the Best Buy preorder I made over a year ago before they sunset the GCU program) and it also came with what looks like... a set of coasters? maybe also a poster?
Anyone else get this?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

it tanks a lot of your stats, it looks like they really wanted to make each job have its own identity in terms of equipment

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gave in and bought this because I'm pretty sure having a nice RPG to chill with in handheld mode on the Switch will be nice, even if I'm already juggling too many other games. I am a sucker for nostalgic RPGs I guess.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the new job outfits.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

I just got my copy in the mail today (from the Best Buy preorder I made over a year ago before they sunset the GCU program) and it also came with what looks like... a set of coasters? maybe also a poster?
Anyone else get this?

More pictures please.

This game is very charming and cozy so far. No complaints an hour in.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Really looking forward to relaxing and dumping a ton of time in an RPG again. The first one was one of the few games where I did all the grinding and made my crazy overpowered party combos, but that was thanks to the auto battle and random battle adjusters, which look to be gone in this game. Hopefully some new mechanics are introduced to mitigate this here to prevent burnout.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

raditts posted:

Anyone else get this?

It's a placemat and coaster. It was a preorder bonus for Best Buy.

I'm getting that today instead of my game. Stupid UPS. :argh:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

you can see the effect of it when equipping gear

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i dunno if i'm a fan of the turn order thing but everything else just seems like bravely default as it always was? i'm early on but i'm not seeing any red flags, its fun. also its like a brief intro cutscene and some dialog before you can dig through your settings, it isn't remarkable in that sense at all

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
also consecutive battles are absolutely in this game, there are common items that activate them for certain enemy types, and then each battle you have with those enemies will chain

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
How linear is the storyline? Did that reviewer from earlier make a mistake?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jackard posted:

How linear is the storyline? Did that reviewer from earlier make a mistake?

even having just beat the first dungeon, I'm anticipating that all is not as it seems with this "collect the four crystals" setup

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
This game is enjoyable jrpg comfort food.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Harrow posted:

Thing about Octopath is that all it really would've taken for me was to have characters sometimes appear and comment in other characters' stories, and not just in the pub chat skits. Having characters just chime in with a line or two during other characters' scenes so that it's clear that they're all there going through stuff together would've made a huge difference.

Making the game check to see who you had and adjusting cutscenes based on that would've been cool but it also would've been a hell of a lot of work that they likely had neither time nor resources for.

That said, it *was* funny to play a story where the character was locked in a cell when Therion was in the party and the game played it as anything more than a minor annoyance.

Sep 13, 2007

even having just beat the first dungeon, I'm anticipating that all is not as it seems with this "collect the four crystals" setup

The first one wasn't like that either. There were decisions you didn't intuitively know you could make that changed the outcome of the story.

There is a lone chest in Hydrangea Hills that I don't see any access to so I'm curious how that's going to work out.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

friends, I encountered what the game called a rare and difficult monster and I said, well I'm sure it's not that bad

it had 52,008 HP and cast Blizzaga on my party

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The "fairy flies" thing was really cool tbh and bravely second not having something like that was kind of a letdown, so hopefully this one does.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKeny1 posted:

The "fairy flies" thing was really cool tbh and bravely second not having something like that was kind of a letdown, so hopefully this one does.

'send player' :ssh:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 27, 2021

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

friends, I encountered what the game called a rare and difficult monster and I said, well I'm sure it's not that bad

yeah I also met The Big Axlotl

Sep 13, 2007

I have encounters three of these things in the first local area and one thing I can gather is if they are stationary I wouldn't touch them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I've already mentioned the stuff I'm disappointed with, but I'm seeing some more things now that make me appreciate the changes a bit more (or just dislike them less, I guess?) In particular they didn't *just* go over to an overworld mob way of doing things with no regard for the previous QOL since you get items that let you avoid enemies and items that let you chain battles. Not sure how plentiful or effective they are but they still address some of my biggest worries, and since I'm still early in the game there might be more items and/or job abilities that make up for the lack of the random battle QOL from the first two games.

I'm also really enjoying the characters! I'm glad they didn't retread the womanizer thing with Elvis.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Making the game check to see who you had and adjusting cutscenes based on that would've been cool but it also would've been a hell of a lot of work that they likely had neither time nor resources for.

Lookit dis scrub who never played Chrono Cross.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Phew, definitely do not underestimate items in this game. During the first boss my normal attacks were doing 80-120 damage and I was having trouble out DPSing their heals, so I broke out the "Throwing Axe" which did 350 damage to the entire group at once. I had three more of those so a single brave chain brought them both down my next turn. It ruled

Then during the little "boat exploration" tutorial I got an HP Bun which seemed to DOUBLE Seth's max HP? I missed the exact amount but he went from having a max of 3XX to 7XX. Definitely not what I was expecting with that item

I'm going to guess "make items useful" was a really big design goal given that + the consecutive battles and no enemies functions now being tied to items

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Oh my lord. Spoilers ahead for the end of the prologue

Why is the villian Liquid Ocelot from Metal Gear Solid but with Sephiroth hair and a bad russian accent he can't seem to keep up between dialog lines? THIS IS FANTASTIC!

WarpDogs posted:

Phew, definitely do not underestimate items in this game. During the first boss my normal attacks were doing 80-120 damage and I was having trouble out DPSing their heals, so I broke out the "Throwing Axe" which did 350 damage to the entire group at once. I had three more of those so a single brave chain brought them both down my next turn. It ruled

Then during the little "boat exploration" tutorial I got an HP Bun which seemed to DOUBLE Seth's max HP? I missed the exact amount but he went from having a max of 3XX to 7XX. Definitely not what I was expecting with that item

I'm going to guess "make items useful" was a really big design goal given that + the consecutive battles and no enemies functions now being tied to items

Yeah i noticed that as well when i tried to throw a bomb core at the one weak to fire because i was tired of them healing up a majority of the damage i had just done in a turn even with the "fall off" of healing both of them and my jaw dropped when it basically took the heal away and then some! Even the ones that sound like they'd be weak like Darts or Stones are on the same tier of damage. It might be the case that they are helpful in the early game but maybe not so much when 350 is not as much of a problem. I pray for Dart-ga and Stone-Ga though :pray:

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Gonna have six hours of BOAT GAINZ when I get home from work today, then I assume I’m going to finish the prologue after these few quests

Edit: definitely agree that items are huge for the early game. Foraging gives you a BUNCH of them too.