Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
Ok so I'm dipping a toe in this thread and a kei truck or van sounds like a pretty cool toy/project to run around in, for a possibly reasonable price? Here's an example: https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-IHMumi76aSDit4.htm Dents and scratches, and a interior that is...Less than good, but not unexpected. Seller wants $550. Is that what these trucks realistically go for? I shopped brokers who would transport the vehicle from California to Colorado and the price is $700-$900. Alright, $1450, I'm not flinching! When you add the broker in Japan, the independent inspection, freighter free, and finally the USA broker, how much will that $500 truck cost? $3000-$3500? I mean, that's not good, but I would pay it. Is that fair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, audio missing, steering wheel worn, interior dirty and scratches, small chips in windshield, other dents scratches paint waves

Originally this was a 3.5 grade, between requesting an inspection and the inspection report the listing was updated to change it to an 'R' grade, with "left front inside panel slightly bent" being the reason. We proceeded with the inspection anyway.

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker at 189,549km, no sludge, coolant ok, oil pan area slightly oily but not dripping, hard to tell inside panel slightly bent, tires worn and cracked, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarriage light surface rust only, boots ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, drivers seat door side slightly worn, other seats ok, dashboard some glue remains but ok, ceiling liner ok, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, lights ok, windows ok, mirrors ok, sunroof ok, wipers ok, power steering ok

Hard to tell where they got the "R" from was the opinion of the inspector.

1996 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado KZJ95, our first second-generation Prado. These second-gens start down the path of becoming the Lexus GX, though they aren't quite there yet in 96. No longer based directly on the 70 series, they do away with the solid front axles and instead go with IFS. This one also has the KZ turbo diesel 3 liter, but now it's got a top-mounted intercooler with venting within the hood to feed it in order to avoid going with a hood scoop boosting the horsepower numbers. 5 speed manual as well. By all accounts the second gen Prados are far better than the first gens to live with. We'll see when it gets here.

A Loud Fart posted:

Ok so I'm dipping a toe in this thread and a kei truck or van sounds like a pretty cool toy/project to run around in, for a possibly reasonable price? Here's an example: https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-IHMumi76aSDit4.htm Dents and scratches, and a interior that is...Less than good, but not unexpected. Seller wants $550. Is that what these trucks realistically go for? I shopped brokers who would transport the vehicle from California to Colorado and the price is $700-$900. Alright, $1450, I'm not flinching! When you add the broker in Japan, the independent inspection, freighter free, and finally the USA broker, how much will that $500 truck cost? $3000-$3500? I mean, that's not good, but I would pay it. Is that fair?

I'm having difficulty parsing exactly what you are asking. Extremely minty kei trucks will sell for around 500-1500 at auction in Japan, flawless, spotless models. The example you linked is a 1997, which currently isn't legal in the United States under the 25 year rule, so that specific truck is out by default. If you are talking about someone in Japan has a beat-up kei truck that they want to sell to you for 550 then no, that's a poo poo deal.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

A Loud Fart posted:

I just got my truck delivered, the actual truck was less than my broker fees (JCD and GWL). I’d absolutely pay good money for a good truck, you are going to pay the same fees regardless (to an extent). I’m going to make an effort post on my experience once I come down from the excitement.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Post pics!

Lots of my little trucks/vans are in the 300-1200 range before JCD/customs/broker/port/delivery fees

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
Oh, yeah, what I'm asking is if a reasonable budget for a kei truck, from auction in Japan to my front door is $3000-$3500. Am I overestimating the cost of brokerage and transport?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Under in my opinion. $3500 for all the fees, plus the vehicle cost.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
So if you go with JCD which I think is the focus of the thread, 99k yen fee if you got the truck for $1. Let me pull up a random invoice...

Ok here is one of the cheapest cars I have ever won, and I’m not goi g to say what it is because I think it is a huge score and worth 10 times my purchase price which was about $350. My total shipped to port is $3500 on a $350 car. Then I have to pay my customs broker let’s say $300, and delivery to me is $300. So we are at $4kish on a $350 car. Your inland transport could be less this was a bit high so maybe deduct $300. Still I’d plan on $4k or so for any vehicle. Have I had them in my driveway for less yes but that is over 40+ cars and tiny kei cars that were right there where inland was nothing. Plus I am not a dealer so I register and pay taxes to get the title up front...

Not trying to dissuade you just be prepared in my head add $3k to purchase price to get it to port. Then add other fees. Just don’t want you to be surprised but you will get a much better truck at a much lower price if you are patient and win on your own at auction.

everdave fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 21, 2021

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
I really appreciate this. I'm not dissuaded, but that is too much right now. You saved me from getting in over my head.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Here’s some first day excitement pics. I laugh so much every time I see it, and driving around the subdivision is so weird.

On the truck

Customs missed the empty Red Bull can so it lives in the cup holder

Stickers are staying, I need all the horsepower I can get.

For scale- parked in half of a two car garage.

Here’s my ISF in the same spot.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

A Loud Fart posted:

I really appreciate this. I'm not dissuaded, but that is too much right now. You saved me from getting in over my head.

Well when you are ready please ask questions I went from knowing nothing to this literally changing my life, I am sure everyone here is happy to give free honest advice. Get in on the auctions! While you get ready start from page 1, Kaker did an amazing job showing how it’s done and pretty much any question can be answered now if you do buy through JCD.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hey cool acty! I had a 84 blue one, yours looks great let’s see some interior pics!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Interior is so dirty! I have to keep reminding myself that this is a WORK truck so I need to expect that.

I didn’t realize the door cards weren’t actually light grey!

73,000 km!

First mod! Shout out to Chappelle Show!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Looks good! I’ve never had it done but that split in the seat is super common, I’d have it stitched up or you do it if you k ow how (I don’t ), otherwise Amazon has some seat cover types I’ve used in keis that just strap on Instead of the normal bucket seat type, I have spruced some up that way for resale.

I always like seeing a blue one compared to the million normal white ones, very cool! Put the elbow grease in and clean that up it will be great!

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Interior is so dirty! I have to keep reminding myself that this is a WORK truck so I need to expect that.

I didn’t realize the door cards weren’t actually light grey!

73,000 km!

First mod! Shout out to Chappelle Show!

Blue Acty is best Acty!

Those OEM floormats are nearly impossible to find in good condition. Especially the one-piece type that we both seem to have. Please treat it well.
Same goes for the plastic rain visors. Less impossible, but definitely a challenge.
Other parts aren't too difficult to track down. Amayama/Megazip has plenty
Your interior looks like it's in pretty good shape for a work truck. Seat rip is common.

Definitely look into the timing belt/water pump ASAP. Should be a sticker on the belt cover with a date if it's been done, but I'd probably do again anyway just for peace of mind. It's an interference engine, so probably worth it.
Spark plugs are from a Civic, NGK BKR6E-11

If for some reason you have a bad steering wobble around 40mph, it's probably your steering center link. I think I've seen like, 100 posts from other Acty folks describing the issue and saying that replacing that part fixed it.

There's a ton of useful maintenance info here: https://robrobinette.com/Honda_ACTY.htm

Welcome to 3-cylinder club!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Thanks for the info! Stuff for oil change is on the way, and I’ve been researching how to do the timing belt (I’ve never done one before).

Luckily where the paint is faded is on the top of the bed, so I’m contemplating doing a DIY bed liner solution. The rest should just need a polish.

Haven’t been able to drive it much yet, trying to get on the DMV’s calendar to get a title/registration.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Bed liner is easy now, go to Walmart they sell a kit for under $100 be plenty for your truck. Always go with NGKs. Dont overpay eBay prices you can track down parts online cheaper and better. Cool truck!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

everdave posted:

Not trying to dissuade you just be prepared in my head add $3k to purchase price to get it to port. Then add other fees. Just don’t want you to be surprised but you will get a much better truck at a much lower price if you are patient and win on your own at auction.

Thanks for posting that, pretty helpful. Sounds like you've got a pretty reasonable transport guy to get it from port to you which helps keep costs down.

Casually looking at bringing over a Honda Beat or two, talking with a friend who runs a fabrication shop about building a race car out of one with either some boost or a engine swap.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thanks for posting that, pretty helpful. Sounds like you've got a pretty reasonable transport guy to get it from port to you which helps keep costs down.

Casually looking at bringing over a Honda Beat or two, talking with a friend who runs a fabrication shop about building a race car out of one with either some boost or a engine swap.

I recently purchased the most expensive Beat in the world! Grade 5 at auction which just doesn’t happen. I got for a guy who bought one of my fire trucks on BAT.

Anyone here glad to help, if nothing else put a deposit down at JCD and start looking, if you decide not to they will reimburse your deposit. I’d probably pick another guy there than I use bit I’m 40+ cars deep and I hate change

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've worked with Matt in at JCD in the past and bid on a few but it's been a while. We've been talking a bit recently and I'm keeping an eye on the auctions now.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've worked with Matt in at JCD in the past and bid on a few but it's been a while. We've been talking a bit recently and I'm keeping an eye on the auctions now.

Any info you need hit me up, the other day 100k cars were at auction, of course whittled down with my filters I “only” had 25 pages to go through.

It is really a simple process once you know how to navigate it. You are in TN like me makes it way easier.

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008
My partner has some savings and is nervous about the stock market right now so she decided to invest in Japanese cars. She bought an extremely average Carry for home depot runs that I won't bore y'all with, and this one:

2WD, white, nothing special really except it has a confirmed 1300km (~800 miles) on it and looks like someone drove it off the lot in 1995 and just appeared in 2021.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Mtmd posted:

My partner has some savings and is nervous about the stock market right now so she decided to invest in Japanese cars. She bought an extremely average Carry for home depot runs that I won't bore y'all with, and this one:

2WD, white, nothing special really except it has a confirmed 1300km (~800 miles) on it and looks like someone drove it off the lot in 1995 and just appeared in 2021.

Absolutely the lowest mileage vehicle I've ever seen! The whole reason I really like these sort of vehicles is precisely because they weren't special, now they emerge from stasis 25+ years later almost as good as the day they were manufactured. To that end:

Here is the 1995 Toyota ToyoAce, also known as the HiAce truck or Dyna, depending on what dealership sold it. If you know kei trucks, it's just a much more substantial version of that, a Hilux turned kei. 2.4 liter diesel engine with completely mechanical injection, R134 AC system from the factory, dually 12 inch tires in the back with single 14s up front. 5 speed manual of course. Incredible turning radius, maneuverability and visibility. Ultra-low load floor with a bed that is over 9 feet long and over 5 feet wide with the sides up, but fold them down and now you essentially don't have a dimension limite on your haul.

You'd think it would suck to drive and while the rear suspension is incredibly stiff what with the listed 1250kg capacity, but it's actually quite nice. It's super torquey, quiet and easily snakes through traffic while keeping up with it. It has a bunch of tie-downs in the back sure but the interior is utility-focused as well. The center seat back folds down into a neat file folder holder thing with cup holders, the glove box is massive with a little notch cut out in the door to hold various clip board-sized objects upright, and the passenger seat folds down into a tray to hold all sorts of things. Just insanely utilitarian. A bit more KM on the clock than the Carry just posted but hey, 14,500km~ is certainly not very high.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The glove box and air vents make a face. :3:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Wow that Carry is certainly not boring or average! And the Toyota looks great.

I’m sure already know but the shifter will flop over and lay flat by pulling up the ring thing at the base, even the one auto I had did it pretty neat.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I checked your website but didnt see it, how much is that ToyoAce going to go for?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
That Toyota looks incredibly practical, dang

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
The Idaho DMV is giving me the run around, to confirm this would be “grey market” right? They were saying because it doesn’t have a FHSA sticker it’s not road legal. I tried to explain no import would have that, but there are tons of imports I’ve seen with my own eyes on the road in Idaho. She gave me a phone number to call, so now I’m waiting for the next step.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

savesthedayrocks posted:

The Idaho DMV is giving me the run around, to confirm this would be “grey market” right? They were saying because it doesn’t have a FHSA sticker it’s not road legal. I tried to explain no import would have that, but there are tons of imports I’ve seen with my own eyes on the road in Idaho. She gave me a phone number to call, so now I’m waiting for the next step.

They are idiots and are getting confused with what you are trying to do.

You are importing a 25 year old vehicle that is exempt from both the FHSA and NHTSA regulations under the 25 year rule. They think you are trying to register a "mini truck" for full road legality. Did you ever say the word 'mini truck' because when you do that people who have heard of that write the narrative in their head and set it in stone no matter what you are actually trying. They think you have a little truck that isn't allowed on the highway because that's what a 'mini truck' is, like if you imported a 2010 Acty that needs a little triangle on the back and can't go on the highway, legally. They do not understand what the 25 year rule is with context of your tiny truck. If you had a Land Rover or Skyline or something this probably wouldn't happen.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
As Kaker said these are not great market cars you check a box right there on the EPA or DOT form saying 25 year old import.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
No, I just told them it was a pickup truck. You are on to the mini truck thing though, I think they were trying to get me to register it as a OHV vehicle since it has a short wheelbase. Called the lady and now I’m just waiting to hear back. Meanwhile I’m combing through all the laws I can find (the website sucks)!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

savesthedayrocks posted:

No, I just told them it was a pickup truck. You are on to the mini truck thing though, I think they were trying to get me to register it as a OHV vehicle since it has a short wheelbase. Called the lady and now I’m just waiting to hear back. Meanwhile I’m combing through all the laws I can find (the website sucks)!

Here in Florida if you have issues with the DMV you can "call Tallahassee' because that's the headquarters of the entire state.

I don't know where your headquarters is but perhaps jumping up the line would help.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Also, it might be worthwhile calling at a different time and trying for a different person. Keep trying until you get someone that understands what you're trying to do.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Kastivich posted:

I checked your website but didnt see it, how much is that ToyoAce going to go for?

I missed this earliest, but it's already sold. Less than 24 hours after it got delivered it was spoken for, so I don't even get to list it. A great problem to have, just usually happens with Prados.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Thanks for all the advice. I think the problem is it keeps going to the same person, who happens to be set in their ways. I’m in Boise, so I think escalation is just up and not around.

I talked to the inspector they referred me to, they were all good with the waiver form. They gave me the number to the title department. She kept getting me to say it was a mini truck, but I kept saying it was a cab over truck (like on the docs). The only other hurdle now is when they come out and measure, I’m wondering if there is certain dimensions the vehicle has to be.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Thanks for all the advice. I think the problem is it keeps going to the same person, who happens to be set in their ways. I’m in Boise, so I think escalation is just up and not around.

I talked to the inspector they referred me to, they were all good with the waiver form. They gave me the number to the title department. She kept getting me to say it was a mini truck, but I kept saying it was a cab over truck (like on the docs). The only other hurdle now is when they come out and measure, I’m wondering if there is certain dimensions the vehicle has to be.

There absolutely should not be, legally, but the people enforcing those rules will have their own biases. The federal paperwork exempts this from anything that a newer-than-25-year-old would have to do, like being registered as some other type of vehicle like a moped or golf cart. Just gotta keep hammering on the fact that what the vehicle IS doesn't matter, it could be a Land Cruiser or BMW or whatever,

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My daily right now is a kei truck if the width was an issue I’d be surprised. I do have bigger keepers coming (29k mile Crown Majesta, Land Cruiser) but I don’t ever feel uncomfortable around town in a small truck. I wouldn’t drive one from TN to FL but they are more than ok for around town I live it every day

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008
Lmao when I registered my Hiace the lady asked me if it was "one of those mini trucks" because "you know they are illegal in Texas right?" Nevermind the fact that the section of the port that I picked it up from was basically entirely kei trucks and there is a dealer outside of Houston that pretty much ONLY sells them.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
After digging through all the Idaho statutes, there is a part about UTV but literally anything from a smart for two, to a mini, to a crx would also fall into that category. Going back tomorrow and being more firm that I have everything in order.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, owner's manual, inspection records, rear end repairs, small chips in windshield, mirrors scratched, interior dirty scratches and worn, steering wheel worn, spare wheel cover tears, right rear corner dents scratches and paint, undercarriage surface rust, other dents scratches surface rust paint waves paint cracks

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no vibrations, no sludge, coolant ok, valve cover area slightly oily, tires worn and cracked, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarriage painted and paint flaking, surface rust only, boots ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, seats ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner dirty, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, right tail light out, wipers ok, right rear corner repair done well

1989 Toyota Land Cruiser LX BJ73 FRP Top, a time before PZs and HZs. 13B 4 cyl non-turbo diesel, hence the 'BJ' designation. 5 speed manual, 49,000 miles. Interior is fantastic, non-smoker, has it's OG manual and maintenance history including the time it either was backed into something or something rear ended it. Repairs looked really good though. Outside of that it's completely original including the original chunky-button head unit stereo. Big fat yellow fog lights with an original electric winch and a rad (but not long for this world) spare tire cover. Don't forget the sick graphics on the side either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I actually haven’t bought anything in 2021 yet until last night, but I have 12 at port from previous buys.

Honda Today 4 grade b/b 18k miles or so. AWD Humming edition. Won last night.