Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm sure they intended the core set to support cards we'll be getting in the first expansion this year. Mage will get something to close out games, or at least a way to generate more fireballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm sure they intended the core set to support cards we'll be getting in the first expansion this year. Mage will get something to close out games, or at least a way to generate more fireballs.

Yeah. It's most evident in Rogue imo, since their classic set looks useless until you remember that they still have at minimum the pile of weapon buffs in the remaining card sets and a 2/5 weapon, but I'm reasonably confident that all of the classes are going to at least be functional once we know all the cards even if they aren't functional with just the core set.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Just with a brief look over the Core set, one thing that really sticks out is how they've amped the power level on most legendaries. Although I don't really understand why Demon Hunter got a rushing 8/8 for 8 mana that for one mana more also does 8(+1) damage face while King Krush remains basically the only untouched legendary while having been unplayable forever outside of weird Wild shenanigans.

I think the class cards look alright, more or less. Bit disappointed in the neutral selection, a lot of really questionable trash in there. Epic/Legendary slots shouldn't be taken up by cards like Rivendare or Barrens Stablehand when there are so many better options.

Am curious about Coldarra Drake also. Seems like a bizarrely design space limiting card to choose as a forever Mage card. Probably no neutral cost-reducing or improving hero power cards ever again, then? Strange given how often that has come up across expansions.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This core set is not forever... it should actually last less time than any expansion. I think they're actually planning on making changes to it yearly.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think one of the devs in the Q&A said they expected to change about 30% of the core set from year to year, though less of the additions would be brand new cards in the future.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The core set changing annually means it can be tuned for the upcoming year. I'm not exactly convinced by the likes of Barrens Stablehand being in there (I'm guessing it's more for flavour than anything else, what with the upcoming expansion) but I'll give the Hearthstone team the benefit of the doubt.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Just happy that Antonidas and Sorcerer's apprentice are gone. And that they didn’t add Ultimate Infestation or Reno Jackson.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

sirtommygunn posted:

This, but also Core Set is designed to simultaneously be a stand-alone game, i.e. the New Player Experience.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

This, but also Core Set is designed to simultaneously be a stand-alone game, i.e. the New Player Experience.

Yeah I won't deny that it sucks for new players that many classes won't have a real plan to win with just the core set.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The odd part is they'll have access to Ysera, Onyxia, and Deathwing which are stronger than anything else the core set can do.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
playing against a rogue rn who prep -> wand thief - deck of lunacy on t1. my hero

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do we not have a reveal schedule yet, even?

Also, are all the galakrond decks dead? :rip:

Probably wouldnt want to run SS in a quest deck, though.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

sirtommygunn posted:

Yeah I won't deny that it sucks for new players that many classes won't have a real plan to win with just the core set.

I think you're probably OK with using the neutral legendaries. There's some real power there.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Acerbatus posted:

there's a potential downside for sure, but if you're facing a lot of stealth rogues and can't handle the health loss of hellfire i think it's a fair option

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a dumb-dumb, the core set is given to everyone, right?

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The WoD version of Hellfire Citadel had a boss that was basically this

Which?

peer posted:

there's a potential downside for sure, but if you're facing a lot of stealth rogues and can't handle the health loss of hellfire i think it's a fair option

fire breather might be better for that, I think? dunno.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Acerbatus posted:

Do we not have a reveal schedule yet, even?

Also, are all the galakrond decks dead? :rip:

It sucks to hit off the upgraded hero power, but it actually lets you complete the quest more quickly if you hit the souls early

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Acerbatus posted:

fire breather might be better for that, I think? dunno.

Maybe, but I think the downside of potentially Kanrethading a pair of fire breathers is worse than hero powering a soul fragment

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

AAECAf0EAu0F0M4DDrsCvwO0BJYFzp0D+6wD868Dhc0Dzc4DpNED99ED+N0DjOEDh+QDAA==

This deck owns and it owns to see people furiously mouse over this minion every time I play it.

e: went straight from diamond 5 to legend off this, thanks.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 26, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

sirtommygunn posted:

I mean it’s still way better than the Classic set.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Acerbatus posted:

I'm a dumb-dumb, the core set is given to everyone, right?

Which?

This guy
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Xhul%27horac
his entire gimmick (especially on Mythic) was that you could never mix Shadow and Fel together otherwise your raid blows up

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

sirtommygunn posted:

This deck owns and it owns to see people furiously mouse over this minion every time I play it.

e: went straight from diamond 5 to legend off this, thanks.

This change to the deck is excellent. Definitely don’t miss Mask or Jandice

E: I’m also running mine with Solarion instead of Thalnos, don’t know how much of a difference that makes.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I just noticed, the art for Reckoning is a reference to that one crazy bastard of a Paladin that built up a Reckoning Bomb big enough to one shot Lord Kazzak isn't it

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I just noticed, the art for Reckoning is a reference to that one crazy bastard of a Paladin that built up a Reckoning Bomb big enough to one shot Lord Kazzak isn't it

He would henceforth be known as "Karmerr, the Doom of Kazzak." is the flavor, so I'll say yes!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Wait, DH gets a 9 mana 8/8 with pseudo-charge? Lol, the inclusion of King Krush is even more laughable.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Even the neutral Alextraza rework is basically strictly better than King Krush :psyduck:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

They're still making Hunter pay for the sins of Face Hunter after all these years

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

For those who don’t know, Reckoning was a Paladin skill in WoW that let you store up extra attacks whenever you were crit. Originally it had no stack limit so one player stored up about 2k charges and then instantly killed a boss that normally takes 40 players to beat. Reckoning was immediately patched to have a max of 5 charges.

https://youtu.be/6xhgvouRprw

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Card flavor text is referencing that event too

quote:

He would henceforth be known as "Karmerr, the Doom of Kazzak."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One thing I really appreciate is how the core set for paladins contains much less totally useless clutter, especially among the spells. The three secrets that are on the strong side of 1 mana secrets. Equality and Consecration are staples, BoK can be run in the right kind of decks (current pure paladin for example) and the two Silver Hand support cards will most likely see play at some point since token paladin is a reoccurring archetype. Holy Light is the only spell I have a really hard time seeing getting play.

For the minions, Righteous Protector, Aldor Peacekeeper and Tirion Fordring are simply good cards. Warhorse Trainer will obviously fit into a Silver Hand deck, and the buffed Guardian of Kings is decent enough to not feel bad about if you were to get it off Lightforged Crusader (if it weren't rotating out. Argent Protector is clearly the weakest one, but one bad spell and one bad minion is a good ratio of good to bad cards. So if they go the route of paladins generating paladin class cards again in lieu of card draw, this core set will make it that much more consistent.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Argent protector got buffed and I think it's pretty legit now.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

Even the neutral Alextraza rework is basically strictly better than King Krush :psyduck:

Well with Selective Breeder you can now have three King Krush in your deck, if that's your jam. It's not a very good jam mind, even if you add Beastmaster Leeroxx to the mix.

gandlethorpe posted:

Wait, DH gets a 9 mana 8/8 with pseudo-charge? Lol, the inclusion of King Krush is even more laughable.

Oh lord I didn't even clock onto this, you can even trade on board beforehand. That's disgusting :lol:

Anyone figured out something interesting you can do with Taelan Fordring yet? I'm in the mindset that Polkelt is overall better, even considering Fordring's defensive body.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 26, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

No Wave posted:

Argent protector got buffed and I think it's pretty legit now.

I didn't even notice this! Yeah, this is an okay unit now. Vanilla stats and an effect that can be very powerful, or completely useless.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Anyone figured out something interesting you can do with Taelan Fordring yet? I'm in the mindset that Polkelt is overall better, even considering Fordring's defensive body.

Maybe to pull something like Gadgetzan Auctioneer in a miracle deck, where you don't necessarily want the rest of the deck to be sorted but you do want to pull out your key big piece?

I'm sure it will find play in a bunch of MarkMcZ decks somehow.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Blooming Brilliant posted:

It could be useful if you have one key medium high cost minion but several higher costed spells in your deck. For a hypothetical scenario, tutoring out your Kael'thas so that you can play discounted Survival of the Fittest or Guardian Animals comes to mind.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Taelan Fordring is a specific tutor card with a decent body so it will definitely find a place in some combo deck to make it more consistent. It's a road block to getting run over by aggro while also helping set-up.

Hard to foresee exactly which\what decks will use it though considering how much everything is changing.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There are some really cool things in the new core sets, I'm noticing more and more just how many cards had small but important changes. It's also pretty interesting how for example Reckoning differs from Vaporize, with Reckoning killing minions that deal 3 or more damage with their battlecry, which would be unaffected by Vaporize.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Torrannor posted:

There are some really cool things in the new core sets, I'm noticing more and more just how many cards had small but important changes. It's also pretty interesting how for example Reckoning differs from Vaporize, with Reckoning killing minions that deal 3 or more damage with their battlecry, which would be unaffected by Vaporize.
I think Reckoning is better in many ways. On one hand it lets the attacking minion do its damage first before killing it but on the other hand it won't get wasted on a token and triggers on minion combat too. And it's only 1 mana. Vapourize is a better defensive tool in theory I suppose but it's never run regardless because of how hard it is to get value from considering it costs 3 mana.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
It seems like Aegwynn's deathrattle is actually a lot more powerful than thought... The deathrattle might actually transfer any card text over from minion to minion. She could go ludicrous.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Olpainless posted:

It seems like Aegwynn's deathrattle is actually a lot more powerful than thought... The deathrattle might actually transfer any card text over from minion to minion. She could go ludicrous.
I think that's the point. It's on next card drawn and a deathrattle so tricky to waterfall the effect correctly but if you chain a number of minions together after a few turns it could get really fun. Of course transform and silence deal it with it quite nicely so if it becomes a prevalent card in the meta it has ready made counters. Looks both fun and well balanced.

I'll definitely meme it up with Aegwynn/Rivendare at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One thing I wonder, Reckoning can't proc against a minion with "deathrattle: deal 3 or more damage"?

A thing to note is that it will proc on Flame Imp, unfortunately.