Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

orangelex44 posted:

It's gotta be one of the Lizardmen. Even the "famous" ones are pretty forgettable outside of big poppa Mazdamundi. At least Tiqtak'to has a funny name to remember him by, all the others I just know by association. There's guy who was in the base game that's not Mazdamundi, guy who gets Kroak, guy who likes skinks, and guy who has the weird vassal system that I'm *think* is a different dude from guy who gets Kroak but am honestly not sure.

Two years from now I'm 100% positive that Eltharion will be added to the "who the gently caress is this" list.

Gotta admit, I only now remembered that Volkmar is in the game.

I suspect Malus Darkblade will be forgotten, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

orangelex44 posted:

It's gotta be one of the Lizardmen. Even the "famous" ones are pretty forgettable outside of big poppa Mazdamundi. At least Tiqtak'to has a funny name to remember him by, all the others I just know by association. There's guy who was in the base game that's not Mazdamundi, guy who gets Kroak, guy who likes skinks, and guy who has the weird vassal system that I'm *think* is a different dude from guy who gets Kroak but am honestly not sure.

Two years from now I'm 100% positive that Eltharion will be added to the "who the gently caress is this" list.

The weird vassal guy is Nakai, and yeah he'd be my forgettable pick for sure if it weren't for his horde faction deal and being half of a DLC. A reason I went with Lokhir and Tiqtaq'to is because they were FLC lords a ton of people probably never played even once and don't have unique mechanics. Neither one has a start position that makes them pop up as an annoyance in as many playthroughs as Tretch either.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 26, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Volkmar really is a shame. A flagellant only run would be so good.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Total War: Civil War or bust

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cythereal posted:

Morghur Shadowgave, imo. He sure does exist in a DLC race that probably does exist.

Nah Morghur is pretty memorable for me. Unlike Ghorst who has nothing.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Does Game of Thrones still carry the same weight it did 6 years ago? I think the last season killed off a lot of interest.

They have a spinoff season airing on HBO next year, there's certainly investment in continuing to develop the IP

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Imagine thinking Kroq-Gar, who is an absolute monster once he gets Grymloq, is forgettable.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nah Morghur is pretty memorable for me. Unlike Ghorst who has nothing.

Every beastman game has one early game battle that's do or die. If you fail, you're done. Morghur is boring and lovely, mostly, compared to the other beastman lords, but he shines in that one critical battle where your stupid ungors have all routed, the superior Empire infantry look like they're about to cruise to victory, but then your lumpy regenerating lord starts making GBS threads out chaos spawn from wounded enemies and everything suddenly goes wildcard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm trying to play Imrik and holy poo poo Eshin just keep wrecking me

I have no idea how you're supposed to get enough economy to fight them, there's nowhere to expand

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think the trouble with making another fantasy total war is that it would probably compare poorly to Warhammer and its kitchen sink approach to fantasy. Warhammer was practically made for total war style shenanigans in a way most other fantasy settings just aren't.

The only thing that could challenge it would be something bugfuck insane like an official version of Planet War Total War.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The only thing that could challenge it would be something bugfuck insane like an official version of Planet War Total War.

Hey if they were able to swing the Warhammer license surely they can also find a way to swing the Sesame Street and Shrek licenses :v:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think the trouble with making another fantasy total war is that it would probably compare poorly to Warhammer and its kitchen sink approach to fantasy. Warhammer was practically made for total war style shenanigans in a way most other fantasy settings just aren't.

RIFTS: Total War

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have an idea. Name all the legendary lords you can without looking them up. The ones you forgot are the most forgettable.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah i cant pull off imriks ME start, you cant trade at all until you punch through grimgor, and with eshin right at your back too i always get split on 2 fronts with no way to bankroll 2 armies.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

I have an idea. Name all the legendary lords you can without looking them up. The ones you forgot are the most forgettable.

Empire:
Gelt
Franz
Volkmar
Markus

VC:
Vlad
Mannfred
Ghorst
Isabella
Kemmler

Greenskins:
Grimgor
Azhag
Wurrzag
Skarsnik
Grom

Dwarfs:
High King Thorgrim
Grombrindal
Belegar

Warriors of Chaos:
Archaon
Kholek
Sigvald

Beastmen:
Khazrak
Morghur
Malagor

Wood Elves:
Orion
Durthu
Sisters
Drycha

Brettonia:
Louen
Fey Enchantress
Alberic
Repanse

Norsca:
Wulfrik
Throgg

High Elves:
Tyrion
Teclis
Alarielle
Eltharion
Imrik
Alith Anar

Dark Elves:
Malekith
Morathi
Crone Hellebron
LOkhir
Malus

Lizardmen:
Mazdamundi
Kroq-gar
Gor-roq
Tiq'taq'to
Nakai
Tehenhaun (sp?) prophet of sotek

Skaven:
Queek
Skrolk
Tretch
Ikit
Sniktch
Thrott

Tomb Kings:
Settra
Arkhan
Khatep
Khalida

VSea:
Luthor
Noctilus
Cylostra
Aranessa (sp?)

How'd I do?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

sounds like Ungrim is the most forgettable

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is how I sell people on the game if they're not sure. Despite all of its flaws it's alarmingly close to a perfect war game. There aren't many major fantasy tropes that aren't playable, and very few are merely "playable", most of them are fleshed out and feel totally distinct. There's very little to complain about in the moment to moment gameplay and the only truly major negative mark I can give it is for the AI being predictable and easy to counter once you understand its decision making. It's the ideal blend of playing with action figures in the sandbox as a kid and a compelling reason to keep playing with them as an adult.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Flavahbeast posted:

Knew I forgot somebody

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Eastbound Spider posted:

Total War: Malazan

it's already got lizardmen, dragons, schools of magic and crossbows in it!

It would be impossible to balance sappers.

Southpaugh posted:

Another series that completely shat the bed at the end, it does atleast have a military setting, could be an interesting setup.
:wrong:

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

Before the Journeys End skill got nerfed, running a giant slayer stack kicked rear end.

Please Skaven, don't ambush me with your army of storm vermin. Anything but that.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm playing alberic atm and he's pretty fun, shame he doesn't havr a unique mount or anything.
You start off fighting mousillon then are encouraged to go conquer estalia and then go take sartosa since you and what's her face are rival worshippers of the sea god

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The TW and Warhammer franchises have perfect synergy because they’re both about building armies and smashing them into each other. Stuff like GoT has armies and battles but it’s really about the characters. Same with LOTR.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Also beyond GOT being lame now, its a much more grounded fantasy so in practice it'd mostly play like Medieval but with maybe one dragon on one team? Its not like you're slinging fireballs or you have rat-people in GOT.

The fantasy of Warhammer allowing for so much faction asymmetry is an extremely good thing IMO.

So I'd rather see an inventive setting that has a bunch of diverse fantasy races rather than just have Stark Pikemen vs Lannister Pikemen

LOTR has more faction diversity than GOT. As does Warcraft. But there's others too.

This is basically why TW: warhammer has retroactively ruined all the old TW games for me. Instead of one faction having good cavalry or cheap archers or whatever you get one faction that has no archers at all but units made of big horrid ghosts instead, and each campaign kind of feels like a new game altogether.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm trying to play Imrik and holy poo poo Eshin just keep wrecking me

I have no idea how you're supposed to get enough economy to fight them, there's nowhere to expand

queeb posted:

yeah i cant pull off imriks ME start, you cant trade at all until you punch through grimgor, and with eshin right at your back too i always get split on 2 fronts with no way to bankroll 2 armies.

So I beat his campaign on Very Hard and this is what worked for me. You wipe out the dwarfs nearby in like 5 or 6 turns and then you have to kill Eshin fast. Early on most skaven armies are like 80% slaves, the orc armies (if they're alive) should be like 60% goblins. Imrik is a combat monster and starts with a dragon, dragon princes, and a wizard. You don't need a full stack to go toe-to-toe with either faction, just a couple more spearmen and archers added on to what he starts with. Grimgor doesn't become a factor for 20-30 turns because he's busy with other dwarfs/greenskins, so you should have plenty of time to isolate Eshin first.

If you don't kill Eshin fast then the next best thing to do is build up the special, non-capital, settlement so that it has walls ASAP. That garrison gets a dragon and some dragon princes from the special building + the regular garrison. It's almost a full stack worth of troops that you don't have to pay for. Sometimes I let Eshin siege it on purpose just because I know that the garrison can take on 2, maybe 2.5 early skaven armies at once, and then I can go take their undefended settlements with Imrik. Honestly you want walls on all your settlements because an elf garrison is going to do a serious amount of damage to an attacking army even if you lose, in which case it's easy (albeit irritating) to recapture the settlement soon.

Another thing I do is sometimes I hire a lore of metal lord and don't give her an army and just have her run to settlements that are about to be besieged. Searing Doom is a cheap AOE damage spell they start with and I find it's really handy in siege battles on walls/chokepoints that you can use a couple times. Sometimes that's enough to change the battle in your favor.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 26, 2021

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Warhams the Deux has been an excellent evolution, all in all. The DLC has been pretty god damned consistently good, they've really gotten comfortable with what works both mechanically and thematically. I mean look at the Wood Elves when they were introduced, and their rework now: they're wildly different from what they once were AND from every other faction in the game.

I'm really hoping this last WH2 DLC is Beastmen and someone else, maybe the Dwarves? I have no idea. Beastmen badly need the love, even more so than the Warriors of Chaos (who, I suspect, will benefit greatly in the course of game 3).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Warmachine/Hordes has the drawback of belonging to a direct competitor but the setting is ripe for a TW-style game. You've got big centerpiece heroes and warmachines for basically every faction, and all the army commanders in the tabletop game are warrior/wizards with their own, individual spell list. Each faction has it out for basically every other major power too, give or take a few exceptions. The factions are very different in their gameplay styles and they're all visibly distinct, even the multiple human factions.

Ignoring a bunch of minor powers (like the robot-obsessed machine cult or the swiss-style mercenary dwarf/ogre nation), just between the major factions you get:

- A multi-ethnic British kingdom with WW1 infantry and gun emplacements, conventional heavy knights, lightning-powered knights and gun platforms, arcane pistoleers, war clerics and a wide assortment of big and small war robots.

- A militaristic German-Russian empire with cheap, plentiful recruits and specialized elite troops like snipers, WW1-style trench raiders, cossacks, pikemen with explosive-tipped lances, ice mages and eldritch sword-wielding berserkers. They only ever make huge-rear end robots with the biggest armor and weapons they can find. One of their commanders is literally Baba Yaga with her personal robot hut.

- An Old Testament-style religious protectorate that mixes zealots with diverse templar orders, martial artists, flamespear-wielding pikemen, acrobatic duelists, desert nomad mercenaries and a whole ton of flamethrowers everywhere.

- A pirate nation led by a dragon and his council of robot liches, full of bile-spewing mechanical zombies, skingrafters and soul-powered necromancers, ghost pirates, ogre pirates and a whole subfaction of satyr-like lady pirates.

- Elf paramilitary organization that despises human mages and look very sci-fi in a setting where everyone else looks steampunky as hell. They have mage hunters, gravity-wielding force mages, teleporting robots, bomber archers, tankhunter rifle teams, a staunch line of halberd/rifle professional soldiers and gun-sword/lance knights.

- A druidic order that tries to keep civilization in check to keep their rear end in a top hat deity from eating the world. They have big-rear end werewolves, satyrs, griffins, stone golems, furry mercenaries, furry shapeshifting canibals and a whole ton of teleporting and area denial bullshit. Imagine Wood Elves but with less bows and more minotaurs.

- Scottish-inspired Trollkin who just want to be left alone by all the rear end in a top hat imperialistic powers that surround them. They have small trolls, medium trolls, big trolls and trolls the size of a mountain. Some of those trolls use swords and axes, others use machine guns, bazookas and rifles. Caber-throwing infantry is a wartime activity for these folks.

- Persian-styled nosferatu empire that is tremendously efficient at conducting war. They are death cult-obsessed slavers whose full menagerie of desert beasts (like four-armed bipedal elephants, basilisks, giant worms and cyclops) is brought to battle by a professional beast handlers caste. They've got huge cataphract infantry, spear phalanxes, needle-gun "archers", tiger cavalry and obsidian warrior statues.

- A legion of corrupt winter elves and dragonflesh monstrosities led by the dragon son of the pirate nation dragon king. You've got lightly armored, elite elf troops and skirmishers backed up by mutated ogres, reindeer cavalry and harpies. Their monsters are straight up blind eldritch monstrosities, to the point where one of their centerpiece units is a levitating tower with tentacles and a hungry mouth at the bottom.

Some of the minor factions include the aforementioned machine cult and mercenary dwarfs, and also French resistance fighters, Spanish sailors that moonlight as pirates, a faction full of Grimm-style nightmares creatures, literal demon summoners from hell that have arrived to destroy the world, mindflayer-inspired levitating mad scientists who live deep underground who use massive flesh-grafted abominations in battle, Mad Max pigmen full of guns, a bayou alliance of blood sacrifice-loving gatormen, frogmen and other critters and the private army of an alchemist order with rocket jumping infantry and actual tanks.

Azran fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 26, 2021

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Most forgettable Lord by far is the TK chariot king, Settra. He just needs to take a seat on the bench for any future games. I don't play tk often but he's the one I always forget somehow.

Also the DE LL's are pretty forgettable besides of Morathi and her son

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Also beyond GOT being lame now, its a much more grounded fantasy so in practice it'd mostly play like Medieval but with maybe one dragon on one team? Its not like you're slinging fireballs or you have rat-people in GOT.

It would actually be less interesting than just making Medieval 3.

The thing about Warhammer is that as a tabletop wargame it was originally designed to work with preexisting miniatures a person might already have, so you end up with a lot of different types of warfare represented, as well as hitting many types of varied cultures and fantasy archetypes. It's hard to think of another setting like that.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Total War: Disney

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Omnicarus posted:

Most forgettable Lord by far is the TK chariot king, Settra. He just needs to take a seat on the bench for any future games. I don't play tk often but he's the one I always forget somehow.

Also the DE LL's are pretty forgettable besides of Morathi and her son

SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE AS BENCHWARMER

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even though 40K is literally an entire galaxy I would still keep Total War to just Warhammer Fantasy. 40K is almost always centered around the Imperium and how it crumbles, while I love that in Fantasy there are a huge number of stories and grudges that have basically nothing to do with The Empire. The Lizardmen really don't care about the Empire Empire, they've got Pestilens to deal with.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Alright after 4 or 5 restarts I finally got going on Imrik

You just really need to cut East and hit the Eshin in the back before they can take over all the goblin lands and start the unstoppable rat waves. They actually fold pretty fast if they get caught in a 2 front war and you start occupying their territory while they're trying to push forward, and then after that you can take the goblin lands and complete the set and you have a nice safe 2 provinces to farm up resources to try to take on the North.

Seriously hostile beginning though.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Warhams has a long enough timeline that they could probably mine it for another game or two just by rewinding the setting. TW: War of the Beard or something.

Especially if they've got like 3-4 years of milking TW3 with DLC and then another big historical to put out. Meaning it'll be like 5+ years before they even have to start thinking about replacing the current Warhams games.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Zaphod42 posted:

Alright after 4 or 5 restarts I finally got going on Imrik

You just really need to cut East and hit the Eshin in the back before they can take over all the goblin lands and start the unstoppable rat waves. They actually fold pretty fast if they get caught in a 2 front war and you start occupying their territory while they're trying to push forward, and then after that you can take the goblin lands and complete the set and you have a nice safe 2 provinces to farm up resources to try to take on the North.

Seriously hostile beginning though.

imirik is good

except for the next part is dealing with dark elves, lizardmen, dwarfs, or orcs, and none of those sound fun

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Honestly they're probably gearing up for Medieval 3, it's the logical and most-demanded next step for the historical franchise. That plus Warhammer 3 will keep them busy and make them good money for a while

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If doing boring historicals instead of insane fantasy why not the 30 year war instead? Could be a small condensed and focused setting like thrones of brittania.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Thrones of Britannia is the one everyone hates.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Make a GoT standalone expansion to Medieval 3 as a fantasy stop gap, then just do Total Warhammer Second Gen.

I do think GoT would be a perfect fit. You've got the seven Kindoms for traditional TW armies and the chance to develop a better diplomacy/court intrigue system, the undead, the invading Targaryens then all the exotic arimes and Dothraki from the East (some of those merc armies sound pretty batshit in the books).

Even then though, it'll be very tame and boring compared to Warhammer.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's too bad that Warmahordes is basically dead in the water and Privateer Press just can't pull its head out of its own rear end.

It's kinda amazing how right after GW slapped itself around the face and shaped up, just about all of its competitors shat themselves hard.

Anyway, money on Total War: Sigmar in a half decade, maybe a The Old World rebranded Total Warhams way down the line when we're Global Warming'd to death and back.

Total War: Warcraft would own bones with just how many factions the modern Warcraft setting has now and how expansive the map has become but lol if Blizzard would ever sign off on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Mordja posted:

It would be impossible to balance sappers.

:wrong:

Karsa Orlong needs nerfing.