Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
People avoid stirring because it decreases carbonation but a turn or two won’t kill ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

For a gin and tonic I try to pour the tonic from high up, give it some momentum to mix things. Not sure how well that’d work in a Collins.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I also love Malört, but am also old enough that I remember when bars used to serve it for 25¢ a shot because they thought it was funny you were drinking it. Malört and dollar PBRs did a lot of heavy lifting in college. Then it became A Thing. It's still great.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe just build it in a shaker then pour it into the glass? Harder to eyeball the tonic amount, but you can always underestimate and top it up.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I just jab the lemon down to the bottom after pouring the bubbly. This mixed stuff pretty well.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I had a bottle of Malort left at my house after some friends from Chicago visited. It’s been used exclusively as the “make up” shot for people who arrive late and miss the first round of drinks. No one has complained, but no one has ever asked for another one either.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Sir Lemming posted:

What have y'all found is the best way to incorporate club soda, tonic water, etc. into a cocktail? Often I read "top with club soda" or something similar, but I find that it tends to sit on top of the drink. So it tastes extremely watered down at first, then too blunt at the end; rather than bubbly and boozy throughout. Should I just stir it all, in the drinking glass, at the very end? I feel like there must be a reason not to.

(Specifically asking because last night I made a Ginger Collins, a Tom Collins variant with Domaine de Canton, and it had this issue. Gin & Tonics have done this to me as well.)

I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do for carbonation purposes, but I pour just a skosh of club/seltzer in over my base and mix that to get the viscosities a bit closer, then pour in the rest and give it a gentle stir or two.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If you have a good idea of your proportions, enough room in your glass, and a steady hand with your ice, you can also add ice last and that action will mix it up a bit.

Or just practice your bartending and pour both at the same time. If you don’t want to worry about counting your pour, I love this thing https://www.oxo.com/steel-angled-jigger-648.html. I recommend one anyways

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It’s really hard to beat that lil guy tbh. I lost mine in a move and switched to a Japanese jigger to look fancy, but the stainless Oxo is definitely the best performing liquid measure for bartending.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I like the Japanese style if I’m making cocktails, but for precise pouring and no spilling, I love the oxo.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The bartender technique I learned is to just stir once while pouring the soda, and kind of lift and drop the ice as you do it to ensure the liquid moves vertically instead of just horizontally.

I'm Japanese jiggers all the way. It's definitely nice that that OXO one has every useful measurement (except for teaspoon) on it, but something about making drinks with what looks like a tiny measuring cup just seems... inelegant.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If I’m serving somebody some Pappy, I’m reaching for the mini measuring cup, not the Japanese jigger.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I dunno, I can pour perfectly cleanly with one, but I know that's not true for everybody.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Thanks for the tips, I guess I mostly wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I like the vertical stir idea, that seems like it would be able to bring the spirits up without too much extra agitation. They never seem to mention stirring the soda in recipes, but it seems like everyone secretly has a way of dealing with it. Or maybe it's just because those spray guns handle it automatically. (I also checked back on a few How To Drink episodes and there's always at least a brief hint of an extra stir at the end.)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

prayer group posted:

I'm Japanese jiggers all the way. It's definitely nice that that OXO one has every useful measurement (except for teaspoon) on it, but something about making drinks with what looks like a tiny measuring cup just seems... inelegant.

I'm with this guy. My Japanese jiggers are 1 oz with embossed lines for 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz, and the other side is 2 oz with embossed 1 1/2. That's by far all I need! If I need 1/4 oz I'll just measure 1/2 of one other ingredient then fill to 3/4 for the 1/4 ingredient.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Do you have a link? I feel like I haven't found any 3/4 oz marked cups. That would be the one thing I don't like about the oxo ones, which are other wise great, as you have to either eyeball it or measure out 1/4 and then a 1/2. It's not the biggest deal but always irks me given that 3/4 is a fairly common measure. I suppose the :beerpal: answer is to just drink doubles.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I got mine from a kitchen supply store but this one seems to fit the bill

Double Cocktail Jigger Japanese Style Stainless Steel Bar Measuring Jigger 1 & 2 oz by Homestia https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F8SMEPM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1Q8NZ74Z9K9CB334K2CZ

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I want to clarify that I like the oxo cup style as a neat spirit jigger because the house pour is 2oz and I don’t want to fill up a jigger to the brim and risk spilling any rare spirits or shorting a guest. I wouldn’t use it when mixing drinks. But especially for the home or novice bartender looking for accuracy and ease of use, there’s no shame in using one.

The cocktail kingdom jiggers are great too. https://www.cocktailkingdom.com/japanese-style-jigger-1oz-2oz-stainless-steel

I like having a 1oz/2oz and a .5/.75oz one. The 1/2 has markings for .5oz and 1.5oz and the .5/.75 has a .25oz marking. Always go for stainless steel

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recommend me a dark (black) rum that isn't full of additives, and is otherwise good in something like a Dark N Stormy. I used Goslings in the past, looking to upgrade and cut out food coloring / bullshit sweeteners / etc.

Price around.. $30ish, or a bit more if there's something that much better

e: found this, but don't know what to make of any of those brands https://thefatrumpirate.com/hydrometer-tests-2

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 25, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Meyers would be my go to.

El Dorado 8 year also if you want something sweeter, though I understand that's a bit doped with additives now.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I always say this, but Coruba is excellent.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
For jiggers: https://www.oxo.com/steel-double-jigger-652.html/. They are slightly shorter and wider than normal ones, and graded on both ends.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
embrace being a dork and use a 50mL graduated cylinder

hey, it does make pouring teaspoons and tablespoons consistent

(I still use the oxo double jigger from the post above about half the time though)

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I'm taking note of those black rum recommendations, I had basically the same question. I've heard good things about Cruzan too but I haven't tried it yet.

I made jungle birds the other night bc of this thread, it was great. Juicing fresh pineapple is a real pain in the rear end though, I am going with the cheesecloth in a salad spinner MacGuyver centrifuge method next time.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

PRADA SLUT posted:

Recommend me a dark (black) rum that isn't full of additives, and is otherwise good in something like a Dark N Stormy. I used Goslings in the past, looking to upgrade and cut out food coloring / bullshit sweeteners / etc.

Price around.. $30ish, or a bit more if there's something that much better

e: found this, but don't know what to make of any of those brands https://thefatrumpirate.com/hydrometer-tests-2

As a rum newbie my impression is that black rum as a category exists entirely because of added coloring. So what you're asking for doesn't really exist I think?

https://cocktailwonk.com/2017/02/black-rum-setting-the-record-straight.html

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 25, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

A God drat Ghost posted:

I'm taking note of those black rum recommendations, I had basically the same question. I've heard good things about Cruzan too but I haven't tried it yet.

I made jungle birds the other night bc of this thread, it was great. Juicing fresh pineapple is a real pain in the rear end though, I am going with the cheesecloth in a salad spinner MacGuyver centrifuge method next time.

The Cruzan blackstrap rum is really good, and I keep it around. It's like thin molasses.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Does Plantation OFTD count? It's like $25/liter here and it always seems like a steal.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Malört and yellow chartreuse in a single shot tastes eerily like a big league chew.

I have to live with this knowledge and now you do, also.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

my kinda ape posted:

As a rum newbie my impression is that black rum as a category exists entirely because of added coloring. So what you're asking for doesn't really exist I think?

https://cocktailwonk.com/2017/02/black-rum-setting-the-record-straight.html

This is correct, and that link is a great read for the unfamiliar. You're gonna have to be comfortable with sweeteners and colors (caramel and molasses) added to darker rums. I totally get the desire to have something free of additives but it's misguided in this case.

Also I think that hydrometer test isn't really doing what you think it's doing, or even what the guy doing it thinks it's doing. All it's measuring is the difference between actual ABV and what's stated on the label. It's extremely common for those to vary. Label ABV is more of an average, because it would be nonsensically expensive to print new labels every time a batch of rum comes out 0.5% stronger or weaker. The author is presupposing, I guess, that the label ABV is measured before sugar is added, and that the difference between that and his hydrometer reading can tell him how much sugar is added, which really doesn't make any sense.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

eSports Chaebol posted:

embrace being a dork and use a 50mL graduated cylinder

hey, it does make pouring teaspoons and tablespoons consistent

(I still use the oxo double jigger from the post above about half the time though)

I actually have one of these for this reason and with the intention of testing cocktails to later scale up and batch, I never use it though

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I would Say OFTD or Appleton Estate if you want a nice aged rum. Dark Rum isn't additive free in almost any situation, I don't use it because I find that aged rum does almost everything you want from dark rum flavor wise and is more versatile.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

thetan_guy42 posted:

I actually have one of these for this reason and with the intention of testing cocktails to later scale up and batch, I never use it though

It also makes it easy to adjust sizes. I like to make one-and-a-half of a standard ~3oz cocktail and split it two ways for sharing a nice small drink a lot. Just converting fractional ounces to mL then doing math on mL is a lot easier than dividing hogsheads per gallon (30 mL for an ounce is CLOSE ENOUGH even for scaling a batch). Also maybe I drink 4 oz Negronis. It’s a lot easier to measure out 40mL than 1 1/3 oz

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I mean if you just make 6oz the baseline for all of your cocktails it gets a lot easier.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Anonymous Robot posted:

Edit: also, Campari, so you can join the jungle bird gang!

I made one tonight with Aperol instead of Campari. Hamilton Jamaican pot still black rum for the rum. Very funky! Definitely an interesting cocktail. I'm not a big pineapple juice lover (although I love pineapple) but it works well!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

my kinda ape posted:

I'm not a big pineapple juice lover (although I love pineapple)

what in the world

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It helps the juice if you leave the pineapple upside down on your front porch all night.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I mean if you just make 6oz the baseline for all of your cocktails it gets a lot easier.

Gave me a big double take here but I guess it makes sense. I gotta remember not everybody is thinking about pour cost and glass size. I always go for 3oz for a stirred drink (Manhattan spec of 2.25 whiskey plus .75 sweet vermouth) and 4oz for a shaken drink (margarita spec of 2:1:1 tequila:lime:agave), so 6oz makes sense if you’re doubling.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Maestro posted:

(margarita spec of 2:1:1 tequila:lime:agave)

Can we do this thing??

Mine: 3/2/1 gold tequila / Cointreau / lime
Wife: 2/1/1/1 silver tequila / grand Marnier / lime / agave

Sometimes I up mine to 3/2/2. If I'm feeling dirty I'll splash pickled jalapeño juice.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Can we do this thing??

Mine: 3/2/1 gold tequila / Cointreau / lime
Wife: 2/1/1/1 silver tequila / grand Marnier / lime / agave

Sometimes I up mine to 3/2/2. If I'm feeling dirty I'll splash pickled jalapeño juice.

Oh yea please do, I definitely meant that spec as more of a 4oz sour spec to be hosed with. 2:1:1 spirit:sweet:sour on the rocks is a good foundation, 2:1:.75 spirit:sour:sweet up is good too - gimlet, pisco sour, whiskey sour, etc

Are you doing 3oz/2oz/1oz, or is it a proportion thing? My experience is based around mixing for profit + value, so making a 6oz drink is totally alien to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

prayer group posted:

what in the world

It's kind of...overpowering? in a cocktail, I think.