Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hell, there were pogroms in 1946 and the local polish communist authorities helped out.

Antisemitism was pretty uncommon and mild in France until the Dreyfus Affair, but their right-wing assholes didn't waste any time kicking it into high gear afterwards. The Nazis occupying France actually had logistical troubles transporting all the French Jews that their neighbors were eager to turn in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Antisemitism was pretty uncommon and mild in France until the Dreyfus Affair, but their right-wing assholes didn't waste any time kicking it into high gear afterwards. The Nazis occupying France actually had logistical troubles transporting all the French Jews that their neighbors were eager to turn in.

It's not like post-Vichyistes like FN aren't nakedly antiemetic.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Anybody who wants bites of my dessert had better have bites of their dessert to offer in exchange. No dessert freeloaders!

People apparently have very strong feelings about whether it is appropriate to share food in restaurants, and if so, how. In my family, we do "I'll order X if you order Y and we'll trade bites", but some people find that gauche; others disagree on whether sharing on a fork is okay or not. I put a serving on the other person's salad plate myself, but recognize that there are other denominations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so how can you already be on a meal date and only just then find out the guys gay.

edit for my two cents on dumb people upset by potatos

Data Graham posted:

Imagine being whatever marketing person came up with the "Potato Head" branding as a can't-miss step in the direction of inclusivity, and then in the middle of their celebratory dinner over the rollout of the project they'd been working on for weeks they realized they suddenly had to walk it back because of nazis

I want to be in the timeline where nazis learn that potatos are a new world / non white crop and then start boycotting a bunch of non euro crops in the only way they know how.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 05:48 on Feb 26, 2021

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Actually I feel bad leaving it here because there's more to the story: the non-lovely French also did a lot to hide and smuggle out their Jewish neighbors and friends, and France has one of the highest number of people from that time who are considered Righteous Among the Nations (after Poland and Netherlands). So it's complicated.

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Feb 26, 2021

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Food is a communal experience. Not sharing food is bad. If there are dietary requirements, you accommodate them.

The only tricky part are rounds if you have individualized drink preferences and/or Muslims (I suppose this could be generalized to "non-drinkers" but if I'm with a friend in recovery we either accommodate by not drinking or being a sport and letting their pepsis subsidize our drinks, depending on their stage of recovery and yada-yada). Individualized drink preferences are trickier but you can work that out.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

PhazonLink posted:

I want to be in the timeline where nazis learn that potatos are a new world / non white crop and then start boycotting a bunch of non euro crops in the only way they know how.

I don't remember which conservative grifter it was, but there was at least one who was dating a guy that wouldn't eat food unless it was traditionally Anglo-Saxon. Like, he wouldn't eat ketchup because tomatoes were a new world fruit.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

hyperhazard posted:

I don't remember which conservative grifter it was, but there was at least one who was dating a guy that wouldn't eat food unless it was traditionally Anglo-Saxon. Like, he wouldn't eat ketchup because tomatoes were a new world fruit.

Lauren Southern, I believe.

EDIT: Yep https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/10/alt-right-star-racist-propagandist-has-no-regrets/616725/

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

hyperhazard posted:

Marx absolutely underestimated the fecundity of capitalism and its potential for change. Because of that, Marxism has had to evolve. That's a good thing. The liberal response to fascism has been . . . less robust. To liberalism's detriment, since it is being actively coopted by fascism. The Marxists in me says, "same as it ever was" but it's one of those cases where "winning" is actually "losing" unless we get a revolution out of this.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Anybody who wants bites of my dessert had better have bites of their dessert to offer in exchange. No dessert freeloaders!

People apparently have very strong feelings about whether it is appropriate to share food in restaurants, and if so, how. In my family, we do "I'll order X if you order Y and we'll trade bites", but some people find that gauche; others disagree on whether sharing on a fork is okay or not. I put a serving on the other person's salad plate myself, but recognize that there are other denominations.

This is like anathema to me, I love "family style" dining, especially Thai or Indian food, like gently caress yeah I want a little bit of EVERY curry.

It can get a bit tricky bill-splitting wise if you've got some drinkers and non-drinkers, someone who just wants something small, division of leftovers etc, but that's why you tip your waitstaff double for driving them crazy with really specific check splits.

It's a lot harder to split like a burger or a chicken parmesan or something, but it's nice to try a little of your companion's dish (assuming two people), especially if it's something you wouldn't order normally.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Interpretation: My great aunt posted an "I need a vacation" meme in solidarity of her 40-50 year old kids who have had to keep working through the pandemic. Another 70-something retiree responded and she was not impressed.

My great aunt may be kind of batshit but she's still cool

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

yall be dating men who ask the waiter for a mound of loam "with fertiliser", then be surprised that he a Potato Head

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was raised in a very "you eat what's on your plate and you finish it" culture and was unaware of other food cultures until I had a Korean roommate who casually ate food off my plate and it was like a new era in my life opened up. Ever since then I've been sharing food more with people who want to and I highly recommend it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Fister Roboto posted:

lmao people are angry about a toy with literally interchangeable parts no longer having a rigidly defined gender.

Maybe people aren't angry about the loss of identifiable gender, but angry about the loss of identifiable marital status.

You people in the so called "tolerant" left. Always making assumptions.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

VinylonUnderground posted:

Food is a communal experience. Not sharing food is bad. If there are dietary requirements, you accommodate them.

The only tricky part are rounds if you have individualized drink preferences and/or Muslims (I suppose this could be generalized to "non-drinkers" but if I'm with a friend in recovery we either accommodate by not drinking or being a sport and letting their pepsis subsidize our drinks, depending on their stage of recovery and yada-yada). Individualized drink preferences are trickier but you can work that out.

I worked doing humanitarian work in Greece for almost 4 years, which means i took a LOT of groups of new volunteers out for introductory meals (one group of 30 on average every two weeks) and it was really interesting seeing which cultural backgrounds were fine with the whole 'family style, order a bunch of stuff and just share everything and split the bill evenly' approach and which were not.
Obviously doctors and nurses that travel across the world to help people probably self select slightly for being sharers in general, but Americans were mostly fine with it, Norwegians and Germans were really weirded out, but the Danish were all about it. Super interesting. Wish I'd kept a chart. Religion was almost never a factor though.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hardwood Floor posted:

I was raised in a very "you eat what's on your plate and you finish it" culture and was unaware of other food cultures until I had a Korean roommate who casually ate food off my plate and it was like a new era in my life opened up. Ever since then I've been sharing food more with people who want to and I highly recommend it.

Yeah, no. Don't touch my plate. It's gross.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nuclear War posted:

I worked doing humanitarian work in Greece for almost 4 years, which means i took a LOT of groups of new volunteers out for introductory meals (one group of 30 on average every two weeks) and it was really interesting seeing which cultural backgrounds were fine with the whole 'family style, order a bunch of stuff and just share everything and split the bill evenly' approach and which were not.
I'm fine with the "you try a bite of what I ordered, I'll try a bite of what you ordered" thing, but I hate ordering a bunch of stuff and sharing. If it's a platter that's meant to be shared that's fine because it's all stuff that goes well together in small quantities, but if you're ordering separate main courses and just eating a bit of each then I'd rather just have my own food because that way I can order what I like and eat as much of it as I want instead of paying full price to fill up on things I didn't even want to order.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, no. Don't touch my plate. It's gross.

I agree, don't touch this gross dude's plate!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
"gently caress you, got mine": culinary edition.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Antigravitas posted:

"gently caress you, got mine": culinary edition.

Yes, absolutely. Keep your fingers off my plate.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Especially now.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

No gods, no platters

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Magna Kaser posted:

I once went on a date with a woman who said something similar like "Men don't eat sweets" when she ordered dessert after dinner, and I also ordered something. It was good to have a clear indicator we would never meet again.
"That makes two things not getting eaten"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

I once went on a date with a woman who said something similar like "Men don't eat sweets" when she ordered dessert after dinner, and I also ordered something. It was good to have a clear indicator we would never meet again.

Eating cookies is the gayest thing a man could ever do. It is known.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

People in the UK are very angry about the potato toy.

It's amazing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So absolutely incensed about the performative theory of gender being applied to humans that I start gendering potatoes.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Hardwood Floor posted:

Thats how my wife was raised. Her parents wouldn't even let them have a sip of a drink, much less a bite of food. Shes still super weird about sharing food, and we've been together for almost twenty years and married for 13 this year.

My best friend and I will go out to eat (which is apparently weird for guys?) and usually order a couple apps and mains and share, so we can try multiple things.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you would think the idea of giving potatoes official gender and martial status in the first place would be absurd enough to warrant a quick lol and nothing else, but here we are

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mad about mash.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Shrieking about spuds.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tilted at taters.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Eating cookies is the gayest thing a man could ever do. It is known.

That's not the sort of take I expect after the words "Alex Jones was wrong"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

VinylonUnderground posted:

Marx absolutely underestimated the fecundity of capitalism and its potential for change. Because of that, Marxism has had to evolve. That's a good thing. The liberal response to fascism has been . . . less robust. To liberalism's detriment, since it is being actively coopted by fascism. The Marxists in me says, "same as it ever was" but it's one of those cases where "winning" is actually "losing" unless we get a revolution out of this.

Sir this is a Wendy's.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

So absolutely incensed about the performative theory of gender being applied to humans that I start gendering potatoes.

Male and female created he potatoes.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

Sir this is a Wendy's.

AND DON'T YOU DARE EAT OFF MY PLATE.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Gats Akimbo posted:

Male and female created he potatoes.

But how? Potatoes don't have ribs, ergo after god created the male potato he couldn't have made the female potato. Checkmate, thiests.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
We were a big sharing family but then I got mono when I was a kid, so that went out of style pretty quick. Throw in the new plague and gently caress you, don't touch my food.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm the people apparently worried of contracting rona from their partner touching their plate, but somehow justifying eating out

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm the people apparently worried of contracting rona from their partner touching their plate, but somehow justifying eating out

their partners are probably not getting that from those germophobes either, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Glad I wasn’t the only one who was confused. COVIDs going to become the go to excuse for weirdos from now on I guess