Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i stopped by the covid ward at my local hospital

bc i have a herniated disc! lol!

i asked a nurse if she got the vaccine and she bragged that she’s worked the entire pandemic and never got it and didnt get the jab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Shipon posted:

holy gently caress, hats off to president xi that's a fantastic bit

He's a good man. And thorough

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Covid was so bad in one NC jail that the state is releasing 3500 low level criminals to settle a lawsuit about their rights being violated

quote:

If a Wake County Superior Court judge approves the settlement agreement and the state abides by its commitment to trim about one-eighth of its more than 28,000-person prison population, the North Carolina branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People would dismiss its lawsuit alleging prison conditions during the coronavirus pandemic have violated inmates' rights under the state constitution.

Hurray, I guess?

https://twitter.com/asheville/status/1365300603069624320?s=21

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol

“The restrictions have been lifted in Iowa, our unemployment is back down near 3 percent. We’re out of the pandemic. There are people who are troubled, who are sick, we are still seeing the effects, but the unemployment has moved back to near where we were pre-pandemic.” — Iowa State Sen. Jason Schultz, R-Schleswig, said during a meeting on reducing unemployment benefits in Iowa.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

fosborb posted:

lol

“The restrictions have been lifted in Iowa, our unemployment is back down near 3 percent. We’re out of the pandemic. There are people who are troubled, who are sick, we are still seeing the effects, but the unemployment has moved back to near where we were pre-pandemic.” — Iowa State Sen. Jason Schultz, R-Schleswig, said during a meeting on reducing unemployment benefits in Iowa.

:hmmyes:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

FizFashizzle posted:

Covid was so bad in one NC jail that the state is releasing 3500 low level criminals to settle a lawsuit about their rights being violated

Hurray, I guess?

https://twitter.com/asheville/status/1365300603069624320?s=21

holy poo poo commutations to settle a class action? that is really really hosed up

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gio posted:

i asked a nurse if she got the vaccine and she bragged that she’s worked the entire pandemic and never got it and didnt get the jab.

lmao

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

oh fuckin dope is this a big cicada year?? hell yeah

my MIL has weird autoimmune issues that pop up on cue with the cicada cycles :tinfoil:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Gio posted:

that sucks, protect your back! I've had years of PT, injections, medication to ultimately get lumbar surgery but mine was a real bad case.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol:

My company has extended the office COVID plan through March, but now they're planning on openerup April 5th, because cases are trending down. Reevaluate in 2 weeks.

Goddamn I love how they can't just commit to a damned thing. This is the first time they actually committed to anything for more than two weeks. I'm looking forward to getting more close calls this year :thumbsup:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fosborb posted:

lol

Iowa hasn't experienced COV19s Final Form

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sonatinas posted:

that sucks, protect your back! I've had years of PT, injections, medication to ultimately get lumbar surgery but mine was a real bad case.

My roommate had her entire spine straightened out, and that's a long recovery process that I don't recommend on anyone. We're just thankful she got it done in 2019 before the world went to hell. We were lucky that she ended up in a nursing home near my work, so I could visit her for lunch and dinner every day, I don't even want to know what it would have been like if I couldn't have come to visit.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
our iowa office has has staffing issues due to covid lol, when i asked the manager the reply was "hit or miss" about staffing due to covid

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gio posted:

time to get on that bob and brad poo poo , i even that book they reference and 90% of the physical therapy i did for my herniated discs/dropfoot were straight out of it. my recommendation is also doing insane amounts of handstands because there's very little weight on your core that way but you can strengthen it , my PT said me doing them was why i kept my mobility before i learned about poo poo like nerve flossing

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

sonatinas posted:

our iowa office has has staffing issues due to covid lol, when i asked the manager the reply was "hit or miss" about staffing due to covid

don't worry, kim'll fix it

quote:

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds said Thursday she was not aware Iowa was among the slowest states to have delivered two shots of the COVID-19 vaccine to its residents.

Over the past few weeks, Iowa has accelerated the pace at which it is getting vaccines to those who qualify for them, but it has consistently ranked among the states with the lowest percentage of residents who have received both doses of the vaccine.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
By the time I'm back in the office I'll have completely lost the ability to control my farts.

Also, is it just me or are grocery store eggs getting smaller?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Iron Crowned posted:

My company has extended the office COVID plan through March, but now they're planning on openerup April 5th, because cases are trending down. Reevaluate in 2 weeks.

Goddamn I love how they can't just commit to a damned thing. This is the first time they actually committed to anything for more than two weeks. I'm looking forward to getting more close calls this year :thumbsup:

Mine opened back up to those that wanted to but shut it down last week since the <10% of people that went kept getting covid

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RIP to me...

My workplace finally did the shoveling people back this month (We need more to face to face meetings!) and sent out emails how all the proper controls were in place like social distancing / Re-design of office spaces.

When I visiting my workplace a year later (lol) the whole workplace layout was essentially the same like 4-5 people being packed into a cube layout.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Business Gorillas posted:

Mine opened back up to those that wanted to but shut it down last week since the <10% of people that went kept getting covid

We're only about 60 people, with performative mask usage at best, so once it finally gets in, everyone is going to be down for the count.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'll be fine with my full face respirator.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

It loving owns that the politicians who voted for a "safe" reopening during a surge are now moralising over the politicians who wanted even more death. Can't wait for a massive outbreak in parliament. gently caress this poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SplitSoul posted:

gently caress this poo poo.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
the best our facilities teams could come up with is installing automated temp checkers as part of badge entry and removing half the chairs from each conference room

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Also two more schools closed after their neighbourhood has managed an infection rate six times the municipal baseline. :woop:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fosborb posted:

the best our facilities teams could come up with is installing automated temp checkers as part of badge entry and removing half the chairs from each conference room

Our receptionist is supposed to take our temps, but she's rarely there on time (7am), and when she is, she's rarely at the entrance, so I'd say I get my temperature taken twice a week. She, like just about everyone else at my work, doesn't wear a mask until someone is in visual range.

When she has a day off, the guy who runs document control does it, and he's always there on time and at the desk, and always wearing a mask.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

this tweet got removed for violating twitter rules

lol! That's some rigourous academic scholarship there, "Doctor".

e: bonus that it's @FatEmperor. Reinforces my decision to ignore anything Ivor Cummins produces. :tinsley:

Hexigrammus has issued a correction as of 17:00 on Feb 26, 2021

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hexigrammus posted:

lol! That's some rigourous academic scholarship there, "Doctor".

She’s relaying some bullshit she overheard someone else say, but the twitter ban bot cares not for context

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Platystemon posted:

There is no reason to believe that fomites play any more of a role with influenza than they do with coronavirus, and half of all flu infections are asymptomatic.

Masking symptomatic cases would bring Rt down, but is it enough to effectively end the pandemic we’ve had since the advent of air travel? Maybe not.

What I would like to see is serious effort toward a universal flu vaccine. I mean I’d also like to see a culture of taking leave when sick, but let’s be realistic.

lol Americans can get fired for even taking a sick day and it's especially common in the service industry, the people who work with food and lots of people all day.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dxt posted:

lol Americans can get fired for even taking a sick day and it's especially common in the service industry, the people who work with food and lots of people all day.

I got fired once for taking a sick day as a server and not having anyone to cover (I just didn't want to work that day), but the guy who fired me didn't have the authority, so the guy who did called me like a week later and said I could come back if I wanted to (I went back).

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

dxt posted:

Allegheny County is pushing a mandatory paid sick leave law and the news stations are tripping over themselves to interview small business tyrants who are threatening to leave because 2 hours of paid leave per 80 hours worked would ruin them.

gently caress small business tyrants.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
No interviews with working parents who lost their jobs because they or their kids were sick and they had to take time off, mind you. Just interviews with small business dickheads.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

line cutting is a moral imperative when the vaccine rollout is done in order of “whoever can refresh the CVS website quickest”. the key is to help at risk people line cut, too, though. help some old geezers out on Facebook, there’s a zillion vaccine hunter groups. the one in my city has 90,000 members which tells you how loving confusing this rollout is.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

smoobles posted:

She’s relaying some bullshit she overheard someone else say, but the twitter ban bot cares not for context

Ah. Shows how hosed up the world is that I assumed she was running with the nanoparticles narrative.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CASES ARE DOWN!
*still 75,000 new cases daily*
COVID IS OVER!
*still more than a 9/11 of deaths daily*

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

No interviews with working parents who lost their jobs because they or their kids were sick and they had to take time off, mind you. Just interviews with small business dickheads.

Local news are absolute scum. Something like 2/3 of the teachers in my city's district said they wanted to remain fully remote at least until they've all received their second dose. They also staged a protest outside of city hall on the day in-person classes were supposed to start. What do all the local news stations do? Run articles about how awesome it is that schools are reopening where they interview the handful of teachers they could find saying how happy they are to be back.

Not one loving mention of the protest or the fact that a large majority of teachers didn't want to return.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

hey Walgreens you dumb fuckers, the state expanded eligibility to goon-shaped people, let me sign up god drat you :argh:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

CASES ARE DOWN!
*still 75,000 new cases daily*
COVID IS OVER!
*still more than a 9/11 of deaths daily*

just checked Number line again, and the upward trend of the last 2 days is continuing :stare: what the gently caress

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
looks like new DLC just dropped from Moderna, subscribe and save goons!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

smoobles posted:

just checked Number line again, and the upward trend of the last 2 days is continuing :stare: what the gently caress

january slow in spread turned into an open er up party

all amplified by newer, more exciting strains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

smoobles posted:

Why are you surprised

The flattening/increasing trend is showing up on 7-day averages. It's real and it's a consequence of every state in this hell country using trends and positivity rates instead of absolute case numbers as a basis for policy.

We don't have nearly the vaccination rates that we'd need to make a dent. The number is going to go back up.