Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
As with last week, there's also a post-credits scene white Vision, too bad it's too late for the Captain America & The Avengers arcade game lineup since Steve and Tony are out of action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

That episode really dragged

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Kaveman posted:

It turns out Kathryn Hahn can only do so much, which is something I didn't realise until now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Funny bit where the one Nazi shows concern for the victim of their illegal and inhumane experiments, though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

So they did the big "Agnes Behind It All" reveal last week, but this week explained that it's not actually true, Agnes isn't behind it all and Wanda and the Vision lived in the sitcom world for some unknown amount of time not shown on screen before Agnes showed up? That's not great storytelling but at least Agnes isn't actually behind it all.

And my prediction for how they were gonna have Wanda be the one doing it but still have not be a straight up villain was pretty close, so that's neat.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gripweed posted:

So they did the big "Agnes Behind It All" reveal last week, but this week explained that it's not actually true, Agnes isn't behind it all and Wanda and the Vision lived in the sitcom world for some unknown amount of time not shown on screen before Agnes showed up? That's not great storytelling but at least Agnes isn't actually behind it all.

And my prediction for how they were gonna have Wanda be the one doing it but still have not be a straight up villain was pretty close, so that's neat.

uhh might wanna go back and watch that song again, it's just about why things are starting to get wonky not why westview is like it is lol

anyways i liked it. never felt like it was dragging to me. i like seeing wanda's backstory get fleshed out more. interesting that it seems to have soft retconned vision and wanda being married pre infinity war. in their IW intro scene i had the impression that they were still kinda early days into a relationship. also i am kinda surprised that it really does seem to be just agatha and there's no mephisto or dormammu action in the background. is the Scarlet Witch being a title new? i don't recall that part from the comics, or its apparent connection to the mind stone (or maybe the previous SW reached out to wanda through the stone??). that mid credits teaser :eyes:

e: also i really liked that avengers compound flashback. "what is grief, if not love persevering?" vision is too pure

site fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 26, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Kaveman posted:

YMMV, but I didn't think so, I thought it actually justified the flashbacks, unlike the majority of episode 4

still not entirely sold that this can be satisfactorily wrapped up in one more episode, even if it runs a full hour though

also, I'm still not entirely clear on what the purpose of all of Agatha's manipulations revealed in the Agatha All Along sequence was, the Pietro part was explained, but not sure about the rest? I guess she was just testing the limits of Wanda's powers

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 26, 2021

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

uhh might wanna go back and watch that song again, it's just about why things are starting to get wonky not why westview is like it is lol

anyways i liked it. never felt like it was dragging to me. i like seeing wanda's backstory get fleshed out more. interesting that it seems to have soft retconned vision and wanda being married pre infinity war. in their IW intro scene i had the impression that they were still kinda early days into a relationship. also i am kinda surprised that it really does seem to be just agatha and there's no mephisto or dormammu action in the background. is the Scarlet Witch being a title new? i don't recall that part from the comics, or its apparent connection to the mind stone (or maybe the previous SW reached out to wanda through the stone??). that mid credits teaser :eyes:

e: also i really liked that avengers compound flashback. "what is grief, if not love persevering?" vision is too pure

I'm not so sure it's solely Wanda, look at everything Hayward did to push her into her "attack." The whole, "ressurect her soul mate" thing put some ideas into her head

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

site posted:

is the Scarlet Witch being a title new? i don't recall that part from the comics

James Robinson's Scarlet Witch series from a few years ago retconned that it was a title and that Wanda and Pietro's real mother, Natalya Maximoff, was the Scarlet Witch before Wanda. Not sure if WandaVision is taking much of anything from that run, they seem to be going with the parents just being random Sokovians with no magical or mutant connections, but there's some precedent for it, at least

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Soonmot posted:

I'm not so sure it's solely Wanda, look at everything Hayward did to push her into her "attack." The whole, "ressurect her soul mate" thing put some ideas into her head

You mean... Agatha? I guess Hayward saying that given he had no reason to believe she could do it is kinda fishy but it just seems like if they were gonna do a reveal for one of those big bads it would be here and not in the finale? maybe I'm wrong and we'll get a post credits where Hayward is actually a puppet for someone else

E: many typos

site fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 26, 2021

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

You mean... Agatha? I guess Hayward saying that given her had no reason to believe she could do it is kinda didn't but it just seems like it they were gonna do a reveal for one of those big bass it would be here and not in the finale? maybe I'm wrong and we'll get a post credits where Hayward is actually a puppet for someone else

no Hayward says that when when she's in his office looking at the Vision dissection. It stood out to me because why would he even think that?

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
At what point did Wanda take the body? The flashback shows her leaving the lab without doing so, driving to Westview, and then manifesting Vision along with everything else

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lamont posted:

At what point did Wanda take the body? The flashback shows her leaving the lab without doing so, driving to Westview, and then manifesting Vision along with everything else

She didn't, is the thing. Heyward lied.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lamont posted:

She didn't? They put him back together as white vision after she left

Soonmot posted:

It stood out to me because why would he even think that?

Yeah that's why I'm still leaving it open because there's no reason for him to believe she could do that

site fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 26, 2021

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm into it. It's an interesting wrinkle to show Wanda had powers before the experimentation. She just didn't realize it yet or to what extent. The Infinity Stone appears to have more given her a boost.

I dunno about dragging. For me this was a good introspection on grief and loneliness. I liked that about it. I liked Agatha giving smart sounding bad advice. The only way forward is not back. It worked though.

Turns out it wasn't Wanda wreaking havoc on a random town in New Jersey. It was a planned town. Not what I would've done, but still a fun ride.

Kathryn Hahn and Elizabeth Olsen are really working this butts off in this show. It's good.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lamont posted:

As with last week, there's also a post-credits scene white Vision, too bad it's too late for the Captain America & The Avengers arcade game lineup since Steve and Tony are out of action

Well in a few weeks we're going to watch a show about how AMERICA STILL NEEDS YOUR HELP!

*bum bum bum BAM BAM BAM BAMMMMMMMM...! doot doodle-dooooo doot-doot-doot doodle-doo!*

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
On an slight detour, I also watched Superman & Lois last night and found it bizarrely good. It's still got some serious cases of TV Writing, especially during the scenes where members of the family are arguing or whatever, and I'm a wee bit worried about the messaging behind, I dunno, small towns should totally get to keep their lovely failing deathtrap coalmines instead of being bailed out with better business offers 'cuz AMERICANA or whatever. Buut there's just also a whole lot to be impressed by, here.

It's almost worrying, because I hadn't really had any expectations for this show, but now it has to continue to meet its own high standards. :sweatdrop: How long is that gonna take?

I also felt really old while watching this because I was, like, somehow becoming more invested and engaged by the Kents' mortgage and banking problems instead of the sci-fi Captain Luthor thing.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007

Arist posted:

She didn't, is the thing. Heyward lied.

Ahh, I figured that might have been the case, cheers

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I did like how it's pretty easy to see how Hayward was able to edit that video to make it look like she did though. Show her kicking the door in with her powers, show her flying in and scaring the technicians dismembering her dead hubby, cut to her storming down the hallway. Let the viewer infer the rest from the context you gave

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WandaVision: I'm going to guess that the Vision Wanda created will join with the White Vision to become "whole" again

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Davros1 posted:

WandaVision: I'm going to guess that the Vision Wanda created will join with the White Vision to become "whole" again

Yeah, that was my read as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't think Vision is making it out of this series at all. Part of her processing her grief is going to be having to let him go.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah it'd be kinda weird for this story about Wanda's process of grief to end up just giving her what she'd wanted all along.

Or I dunno. Maybe it will? If Vision's soul/mind/whatever does end up back in White Vision, there has to be some sort of price to pay for it. I imagine it ending like "Oh no Vision's lost his emotions.........or has he? Maybe there's still hope!"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
vision lives but she has to sell the memory of their marriage to mephisto

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

X-O posted:

I don't think Vision is making it out of this series at all. Part of her processing her grief is going to be having to let him go.

Nah, I don't think they'd go that sad for the ending. They could easily have their cake and eat it too by having Wanda let Vision go, he starts turning into that yellow light, and then the yellow light goes into the defeated white Vision and it turns into regular Vision.

But no matter what, I think they're gonna want a crowd pleasing ending where Wanda's got her husband and kids and can be happy in the real world.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah it'd be kinda weird for this story about Wanda's process of grief to end up just giving her what she'd wanted all along.

Or I dunno. Maybe it will? If Vision's soul/mind/whatever does end up back in White Vision, there has to be some sort of price to pay for it. I imagine it ending like "Oh no Vision's lost his emotions.........or has he? Maybe there's still hope!"

this has happened several dozen times in the comics before so there is precedent for it

If we are looking at a "YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL" style ending I'm betting Wanda has to choose between getting Vision back or keeping her children. Alternately, her children may be the paradigm-breaking cheat that allows her to keep it all, via ~the power of family~

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

X-O posted:

yeah, this has been my thinking since the beginning of the series and while I could of course be wrong, the latest episode only makes me more convinced that that's the direction they're going in

though I do wonder how they'll thread the needle what will happen to Billy and Tommy, having them come back with Wanda kinda feels like it'd be rewarding her for her selfish and harmful actions, but it would be too much of a tease for Marvel to pull a Byrne and have them cease to exist at the end of the show (also too dark given how much Wanda has already been put through the wringer)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh I 100% expect the twins to be gone by the end of this show, or at least for Wanda to think that they're gone. We can't get Young Avengers unless they get sent off to different families somehow, and we're absolutely getting Young Avengers.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

We can't get Young Avengers unless they get sent off to different families somehow

I don't really understand how this is the case, actually? just because Allan Heinberg was writing Billy as a self-insert character and thus felt the need to establish that he had a middle-class Jewish upbringing with normal human biological parents doesn't make it a fundamental part of the character that the MCU can't excise

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

BrianWilly posted:

I also felt really old while watching this because I was, like, somehow becoming more invested and engaged by the Kents' mortgage and banking problems instead of the sci-fi Captain Luthor thing.
Same. All of it seemed so well performed, and then we get Evil McEvil cartoon voice vs Superman, and all interest is gone.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

I don't really understand how this is the case, actually? just because Allan Heinberg was writing Billy as a self-insert character and thus felt the need to establish that he had a middle-class Jewish upbringing with normal human biological parents doesn't make it a fundamental part of the character that the MCU can't excise

Yeah, honestly, I think introducing the whole 'the kids essences got sent to different families... and maybe back in time... for... reasons?' thing is making something way more complicated than it needs to be. Like, we got Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel without having to rehash Avengers 200, I don't think you have to rehash every bad idea the comics did. Just cut the Gordian Knot and have them be her kids.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

BrianWilly posted:

Oh I 100% expect the twins to be gone by the end of this show, or at least for Wanda to think that they're gone. We can't get Young Avengers unless they get sent off to different families somehow, and we're absolutely getting Young Avengers.

don't altogether agree with the second sentence for the reasons others have provided, but i could see Wanda "losing" the twins to some mindwipe/reality-altering scenario, and having them rediscover their powers and/or parentage as part of the Young Avengers setup, without the convoluted reincarnation angle

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I know someone will argue it makes the FF less special, but Frank and Val ain't happening until FF3 in like 2029 or something I bet. Or have her be a single mom

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was really good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I think I know who I think I figured out what actor Paul Bettany was talking about when he said “I get to work with this actor that is a total secret. I have been longing to work with and act with [them] for years and I finally got to and it was amazing. Fireworks exploded and it was great.”

Based off this episode It’s Paul Bettany

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Interesting that they actually went and rebuilt Vision. I figured SWORD's evil scheme revolved solely around getting the vibranium, since Wakanda's so tight about it

But yeah, "Hex" Vision is totally gonna merge with White Vision to bring him back at the end. I mean, the end can still be plenty melancholy, because personally I think it will end on Vision leaving Wanda because he's still angry about the whole "I kidnapped thousands and manipulated them and you to live my dream" thing. Plus it's been established he has none of his pre-death memories so he can have a nice existential crisis about whether he actually loves Wanda or whether he's just hard-wired to love her.

Anyway it seems like the real thing I've learned from WandaVision as a whole is that the Avengers are lovely friends. Like I know Wanda wasn't besties with all of them, but if I had a friend who I knew experienced extreme trauma and the death of a loved one I feel like I'd try to help them through that. I mean geez, at the very least Hawkeye or Hulk or Old Steve or any of those jerks could've gone with Wanda to recover the body. Then again, they're the ones that just let the government take Vision in the first place. Shameful...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I know! I mean, jesus, Pepper couldn't put in some calls to her lobbyists or senators she's bankrolled? T'Challa can't put some pressure on them for seizing stolen goods? (Remember, Vision's vibranium body was sourced from stolen ore Klaw sold Ultron) Clint or Rhodey couldn't at least walk her to the front desk (A full bird USAF colonel probably has some kind of pull at SWORD if it's US based/sanctioned)?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Karma Tornado posted:

I hope he's Seth the Immortal and they've decided to adapt the bizarre Terry Kavanaugh era where Frenchie had the spirit of a Templar knight or something inside him and Moon Knight fought demons

you and i, we should be friends (acquaintances)

give me a hellbent movie, feige

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

also (wandavision, speculation, ep 8 spoilers implied) i think that dottie and maybe hex-vision are the mind stone, or invested with/expressions of the essence of it somehow. they both have the golden signature (dottie's flowers, visions powers and his creation by wanda) and ep 8 made a point of showing the golden-hued mind stone prominently. it also would explain why hex-vision can awaken people from wanda's sitcom-making influence

also, dottie was the “key to all of this” or some similar phrasing in ep 2, which was also when her hairstyle was down to small details a mirror image of wanda's hairstyle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
you all need to let Dottie go

i know she seemed important when she first appeared but if she's had about 15 seconds of screen time since then she's not going to turn out to be a major character in episode 9