Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

all software is bad, yes

i think a lot of it is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mycophobia posted:

the only good software is "rm" because its sole purpose is to rid the world of other software

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

mycophobia posted:

:wrong:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the only good software is tetris DX. drat i'll be playing that until my game boy color dies or I die

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

hbag posted:

the only good software is "rm" because its sole purpose is to rid the world of other software

Pop quiz: how would you use rm to delete a file named '-h'?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

xtal posted:

I assume rm ./-h is cheating

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

xtal posted:

rm -rf /

will delete the file. i consider the deletion of the rest of your filesystem a net positive for these forums as a whole

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

not a real answer but if I have trouble trying to figure out how to manipulate a file because of a weird filename then I just fire up python to rename it to 'deleteme'

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I would drag it to the trash can.on my xfce desktop, op

my friend xfce then would properly invoke the command

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

double dash to victory

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xtal posted:

rm "\-h"

edit:

"rm ./-h" is the correct answer

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 26, 2021

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
ah this is cool:

rm "-h"
rm: invalid option -- 'h'
Try 'rm ./-h' to remove the file '-h'.
Try 'rm --help' for more information.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

gentoo linux has barely changed at all since 2004

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

mycophobia posted:

ah this is cool:

rm "-h"
rm: invalid option -- 'h'
Try 'rm ./-h' to remove the file '-h'.
Try 'rm --help' for more information.

load the inode in a binary editor

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Silver Alicorn posted:

gentoo linux has barely changed at all since 2004

hey, if you get it right, why change it?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
The correct answer is: rm -- -h

efb

Martytoof posted:

double dash to victory

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ man rm actually suggests ./ ad well

DoomTrainPhD posted:

rm "\-h"

edit:

"rm ./-h" is the correct answer

I’m guessing he’s going for rm — -h

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

infernal machines posted:

hey, if you get it right, why change it?

*nods sagely*

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

find —delete

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Now delete something with a newline in its filename.

My favourite teaching moment is asking someone to delete all dotfiles in a directory. (But making sure they don't have anything irreplaceable in harm's way)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

My favourite teaching moment is asking someone to delete all dotfiles in a directory. (But making sure they don't have anything irreplaceable in harm's way)

sb hermit posted:

not a real answer but if I have trouble trying to figure out how to manipulate a file because of a weird filename then I just fire up python to rename it to 'deleteme'

except that I can just call os.unlink

The real answer is to use ctrl-v ctrl-m to insert '^M'. Encase in single quotes

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

load the inode in a binary editor

but you have to remount the filesystem in read only mode first

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

terminate the instance and let ASG create a new one that doesn’t have a hosed up file on it

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i actually know nothing about gentoo aside from the fact that most of the people who use it are probably on some kind of trafficking watchlist so uhhh someone fill me in i guess
from what ive read it seems similar to arch but that might just be the people who use it rather than the distro itself

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

what?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

i actually know nothing about gentoo aside from the fact that most of the people who use it are probably on some kind of trafficking watchlist so uhhh someone fill me in i guess
from what ive read it seems similar to arch but that might just be the people who use it rather than the distro itself

https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/by-others/funroll-loops/Gentoo-is-Rice.html

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nice thread title

oh wow. i haven't seen this in a loooong time

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 27, 2021

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag posted:

i actually know nothing about gentoo aside from the fact that most of the people who use it are probably on some kind of trafficking watchlist

source your quotes

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Captain Foo posted:

source your quotes

i dont have any definite quotes i can remember off the top of my head, i just remember people saying poo poo like that about it
im probably wrong tbh

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hbag posted:

i dont have any definite quotes i can remember off the top of my head, i just remember people saying poo poo like that about it
im probably wrong tbh

the joke is that what you wrote

hbag posted:

sounds like what someone else on another forum (or another thread on this forum) would have written

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hbag posted:

You should install gentoo and use it for a week and report back

or install it on a VM (make sure you allocate a ton of ram and all your processors) if you don't really want to go all the way

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Antigravitas posted:

I deliberately never handle this case in scripts etc, on the grounds that anyone who’s careless or stupid enough to create a file with a newline in its name deserves to suffer

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

sb hermit posted:

You should install gentoo and use it for a week and report back

or install it on a VM (make sure you allocate a ton of ram and all your processors) if you don't really want to go all the way

i have an incredibly cheap HP laptop that has like a 30GB SSD that my secondary school gave me to do my GCSEs on and never asked for me to return
so i might try installing it on that if i can find a charging lead that fits it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I used gentoo for something like five years before switching to debian

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hbag posted:

i have an incredibly cheap HP laptop that has like a 30GB SSD that my secondary school gave me to do my GCSEs on and never asked for me to return
so i might try installing it on that if i can find a charging lead that fits it

To be incredibly honest, I don't really know if 30 GB is enough to install Gentoo because it needs to download and install packages from source, and also keep around development headers and etc. Especially if you want to use a graphical environment and not just run a barebones apache server or something.

But yeah, please try it out and let us know how it goes.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Soricidus posted:

I deliberately never handle this case in scripts etc, on the grounds that anyone who’s careless or stupid enough to create a file with a newline in its name deserves to suffer

if "${FILENAME}" isn't good enough then you can eat poo poo, yeah. i did my part

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I helped run a lab that ran 100% gentoo on servers and workstations for MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE. To be fair, this was literally early 2000s (when SSE and etc registers and instructions were brand new, so it could have arguably been useful) and the it staff were all volunteers (so no impact on the budget if they work long hours)

I even wrote an ebuild but I had to give it to someone else to submit it because I did not (and still do not) have any gentoo dev cred

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
plz don't normalize running gentoo

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i might have steak-umms brain but i really like how fedora just comes with poo poo for running boxes in
was real loving easy to set up a windows VM for testing poo poo on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

plz don't normalize running gentoo

HOLY COW I'M TOTALLY GOING SO FAST OH F***
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=74072

LDFLAGS='-Wl,-O1,--enable-new-dtags,--sort-common,--allow-multiple-definition,--allow-multiple-definition,--relax -z combreloc -z muldefs -s'

CFLAGS="-g0 -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER -pipe -O3 -march=pentium4 -fweb -funswitch-loops -funroll-all-loops -funit-at-a-time -fsched2-use-traces -fsched2-use-superblocks -fsched-stalled-insns=12 -frename-registers -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fpeel-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -fmerge-all-constants -finline-limit=32768 -finline-functions -ffunction-sections -ffast-math -fdata-sections -fbranch-target-load-optimize2"

CXXFLAGS="-g0 -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER -pipe -O3 -march=pentium4 -fweb -funswitch-loops -funroll-all-loops -funit-at-a-time -fsched2-use-traces -fsched2-use-superblocks -fsched-stalled-insns=12 -frename-registers -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fpeel-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -fmerge-all-constants -finline-limit=32768 -finline-functions -ffunction-sections -ffast-math -fdata-sections -fbranch-target-load-optimize2 -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -fabi-version=0 -fpermissive -fno-enforce-eh-specs"