Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dev/null
Dec 8, 2004

This custom title is not tax-deductible

Finger Prince posted:

No I mean actual brake by wire. Brake pedal attached to position sensor, sensor output goes to braking controller which drives the braking system.

The Brake by Wire systems I've been working with are designed like this:

The pedal is acting on a primary cylinder, where the position sensor is located.
In normal, powered up mode, the primary cylinder pushes fluid into a "simulator chamber", where a piston is pressing against a thick piece of rubber.
This rubber is designed and tuned in order to give a pedal feeling similar to a conventional brake system. (Well, that is the ambition at least...)
Depending on how much friction brakes are to be used, an electric actuator sends brake pressure via the brake lines to the individual wheel brakes.

In case of total electric failure, a valve is closed between the primary cylinder and the simulator and another one opens to the brake circuit.
Now you are braking in fall-back mode and just like a vacuum booster failure, you will need to press harder on the pedal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
So this year we'll have the Mach E , ID4 and the Ioniq 5 on the market and shipping in reasonable quantities.

It's going to be a huge year for the industry, 3 new EV's for the USA on dedicated platforms that aren't from Telsa or a luxury brand. I can't wait to see the first comparisons between the 3 of them and the Model Y. Leg and carseat room in the Ioniq in particular looks like it'll be fantastic because of the crazy wheelbase. This is probably the most exciting year in EV world since the launch of the Model 3. I'm going to watch so many teslabjorn videos..

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

sanchez posted:

So this year we'll have the Mach E , ID4 and the Ioniq 5 on the market and shipping in reasonable quantities.

It's going to be a huge year for the industry, 3 new EV's for the USA on dedicated platforms that aren't from Telsa or a luxury brand. I can't wait to see the first comparisons between the 3 of them and the Model Y. Leg and carseat room in the Ioniq in particular looks like it'll be fantastic because of the crazy wheelbase. This is probably the most exciting year in EV world since the launch of the Model 3. I'm going to watch so many teslabjorn videos..

Don’t forget that the Bolt gets a refresh and a longer wheelbase version with the EUV. Not direct competitors to those, but close.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Bolts are still stuck at 50kw “fast” charging which is pretty disappointing.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

New bill introduced which restores and reworks the tax credit! It probably won't go anywhere but it's a great idea!

https://ktvz.com/news/oregon-northwest/2021/02/23/merkley-introduces-bill-to-extend-electric-vehicle-tax-credit-for-10-years/

quote:

The Electric Cars Act would improve this vital tax credit by:

Eliminating the per manufacturer cap, allowing consumers access to the tax credit for the next 10 years, regardless of the manufacturer from which they purchase their car;

Allowing buyers to use the tax credit over a 5-year period, or apply the credit on the spot at the dealership to reduce the price of the vehicle, making the credit more applicable to those without large tax liability; and

Providing a 10-year extension of tax credits for alternative fuel vehicles and charging infrastructure to incentivize the buildout of this important infrastructure around the country.

While I would love a "take off msrp at time of purchase," dealerships and mfgs would both bump prices to skim incentives, and the cars would just be more expensive.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

sanchez posted:

Honestly, 3 new EV's total from automakers not named Tesla is loving pathetic. It's a perfect demonstration of how unserious the industry is about the EV switch. They're unable to kick the profits they make off parts, I'm guessing. Many places are looking at banning ICE cars completely by 2030. This is 2021 and we have a single-digit number of serious EVs on the market from brands not named Tesla, most of which cost well over $50k? Automakers deserve to be dragged kicking and screaming into this. Tax ICE cars and funnel the money into EV incentives, whatever.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Westy543 posted:

While I would love a "take off msrp at time of purchase," dealerships and mfgs would both bump prices to skim incentives, and the cars would just be more expensive.

Isn't this basically built in as it is for any manufacturer that still has the tax benefits? Like it's probably not a coincidence that GM has offered 8k in incentives on bolts basically since their credit ran out and then dropped the price 5500 on the newest model.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Honestly, 3 new EV's total from automakers not named Tesla is loving pathetic.

It's more than 3 and 3 is also more than the number of new tesla models this year. Kia will almost certainly have an ioniq related vehicle though it may not make the calendar year, and the nissan ariya is scheduled for this year. If you count the bolt euv, that's 1 brand new model for GM, Hyundai, Kia, Ford, VW, and Nissan, which is actually quite a lot. The real telling thing is that honda/toyota are really nowhere to be seen.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Honestly, 3 new EV's total from automakers not named Tesla is loving pathetic. It's a perfect demonstration of how unserious the industry is about the EV switch. They're unable to kick the profits they make off parts, I'm guessing. Many places are looking at banning ICE cars completely by 2030. This is 2021 and we have a single-digit number of serious EVs on the market from brands not named Tesla, most of which cost well over $50k? Automakers deserve to be dragged kicking and screaming into this. Tax ICE cars and funnel the money into EV incentives, whatever.

Honestly, for each manufacturer’s first foray into a ground up BEV, a single model for a year or three is the right choice. There are going to be a lot of growing pains and hard lessons to be learned. No need to have them spread across multiple vehicles compounding the issues in getting them resolved in a timely manner.

I am seeing plenty of anecdotal cases of issues with the Mustang Mach-Es that are getting into customer’s hands. From low voltage battery charging issues, to charging speed issues depending on heater choice. Nothing catastrophic yet, and on the Mach-E forums, Ford seems to be trying to fix these issues proactively.

And hearing here about the Kona needing a recall for its batteries is another point towards manufacturers still needing to catch up to Tesla’s years of hard learned lessons.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Toyota at least can probably live off their hybrid ranges for quite some time before the CO2 regulatons are going to squeeze them.
Isn't the e-tron R a new model for this year from Audi as well?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Is Toyota still betting on hydrogen instead of batteries for electric vehicles?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
If I look at autotrader.co.uk for BEVs with price up to 35.000GBP, 5 doors and brand new then I see the following brands:

BMW, Citroen, DS, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, MG, Nissan, Peugeot, Renault, SEAT, Skoda, Vauxhall, Volkswagen

Not sure how many platforms this is, 6 or 7 maybe? I think we're slowly getting there but currently all these are priced ~5k higher than a competing ICE so if the margin is the same on both then it's clear why the companies are hesitating.
Tesla seems to have a better margin on producing BEV cars due to cutting corners on quality and maybe lower component cost? Maybe other car makers will join in a quality race to the bottom to see who can build the junkiest cars that people are still happy to buy if the price is right.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

elbkaida posted:

If I look at autotrader.co.uk for BEVs with price up to 35.000GBP, 5 doors and brand new then I see the following brands:

BMW, Citroen, DS, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, MG, Nissan, Peugeot, Renault, SEAT, Skoda, Vauxhall, Volkswagen

Not sure how many platforms this is, 6 or 7 maybe? I think we're slowly getting there but currently all these are priced ~5k higher than a competing ICE so if the margin is the same on both then it's clear why the companies are hesitating.
Tesla seems to have a better margin on producing BEV cars due to cutting corners on quality and maybe lower component cost? Maybe other car makers will join in a quality race to the bottom to see who can build the junkiest cars that people are still happy to buy if the price is right.

Bah gawd that's Chevy's music!

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

I think it's a slow transition because legacy automakers have to make money by selling cars, not that they aren't serious.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

MrLogan posted:

I think it's a slow transition because legacy automakers have to make money by selling cars, not that they aren't serious.

That and they generally refuse to build cars in parking lot tents.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kronix posted:

That and they generally refuse to build cars in parking lot tents.

in theory not building cars in tents should be a major competitive advantage but they don't seem to have quite figured it out

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/1364930133862346754?s=21

Probably a semiconductor shortage.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
It's crazy how many industries that's affecting now.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
"mass produced" solar-powered EV coming this year*

*if it can pass safety tests

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/interactive/2021/solar-car/

quote:

It’s a three-wheel, ultra-aerodynamic electric vehicle covered in 34 square feet of solar cells. The car is so efficient that, on a clear day, those cells alone could provide enough energy to drive about 40 miles
The Aptera must undergo safety tests before the company can begin distribution, which it hopes to do by the end of this year.
it can go from 0 to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds and hit top speeds of 110 mph.

edit, I mathed it out, it does 100wh/mi so those panels can generate up to 4kWh per day, so somewhere around ~350W of panels probably.

The whole article is interesting, if you have the time.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 25, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm guessing that doesn't meet FMVSS in a litany of ways.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm guessing that doesn't meet FMVSS in a litany of ways.

it's 3-wheeled so I wonder if they're going to license it as a "motorcycle"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Qwijib0 posted:

it's 3-wheeled so I wonder if they're going to license it as a "motorcycle"

There was a rule amendment where three wheelers that are configured like cars with enclosed cabins ("autocycles") no longer count as motorcycles for DOT/FVMSS purposes but I can't quite figure out if it went in to effect or not, and there was never any federal definition of autocycle features. It appears to be a total state level mismash in terms of autocycle definition. It seems like seatbelts and ROPS requirements are standard, while some states require an airbag.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I've seen like, 3 mirais in the last month in LA and SF, so they're gaining some traction?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/interactive/2021/solar-car/

edit, I mathed it out, it does 100wh/mi so those panels can generate up to 4kWh per day, so somewhere around ~350W of panels probably.

The whole article is interesting, if you have the time.

Billionaire doors!

This will be neat if it makes it to production. EV market has way to much vapor and this isn't the first time this company has teased a release.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I was really weirded out seeing their outbound lot completely empty the last three days. They seem to be still finishing what cars they can, but otherwise yeah it's kinda eerie. Wish they'd pay everyone for a forced shut down like this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I blame bitcoin, somehow

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

luminalflux posted:

I've seen like, 3 mirais in the last month in LA and SF, so they're gaining some traction?

Toyota's also building reliable plug-in hybrids; RAV4 is their most popular gas model and now has an excellent (though in short supply) plug in model.

Not as sexy as BEVs but does dramatically reduce gasoline use by most customers.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Japan went pretty hard into hydrogen energy R&D since they're somewhat limited on how much energy they can produce. Since then, Toyota decided to come out and say they're going to launch a new EV using solid state battery tech which is kind of funny since they went from not giving a poo poo about EVs to, "we're gonna leapfrog everyone by a decade".

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I loved the aptera the first time round, shame it seemed to be a grift. About 40% sure it's a grift this time round.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Holy gently caress a model S plaid just parked next to me when I was eating lunch. It didn't have any plates on and I didn't realize until it started driving away or I would have gotten a picture. I noticed the chrome delete and wheels but it was too late. The back side looks really nice IMO.

Edit: math

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 26, 2021

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Qwijib0 posted:

Doesn't need to pass safety tests, it's 3-wheeled so its a "motorcycle" like a polaris slingshot

edit:

actually this man has the facts

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There was a rule amendment where three wheelers that are configured like cars with enclosed cabins ("autocycles") no longer count as motorcycles for DOT/FVMSS purposes but I can't quite figure out if it went in to effect or not, and there was never any federal definition of autocycle features. It appears to be a total state level mismash in terms of autocycle definition. It seems like seatbelts and ROPS requirements are standard, while some states require an airbag.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

luminalflux posted:

I literally see more Toyota RAV EVs around SF/OAK than I see Murais. Glad Toyota is coming back around on the EV.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Guido Merkens posted:

I literally see more Toyota RAV EVs around SF/OAK than I see Murais. Glad Toyota is coming back around on the EV.

They haven't made a RAV4 EV since 2014, unless you mean the RAV4 Prime PHEV. They literally make no full-electric vehicles.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

Charles posted:

They haven't made a RAV4 EV since 2014, unless you mean the RAV4 Prime PHEV. They literally make no full-electric vehicles.

Yep, the 12-14 RAF EVs - maybe there’s an unusually large cluster of them in my locale (disclosure - I drive one so I tend to notice others), but I feel like I never see the Murai.

Tangentially, I saw one of the gen 1 RAV EVs in San Francisco a couple of months ago. An antique!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It's been 33 days since my Model 3 last received an update. The median time between my car's updates is 2 weeks. I wonder what those guys have cooking up if they're delaying updates this much.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

MrLogan posted:

Price is definitely an issue but last I checked there is still a healthy appetite among the buying public for electric cars! You can ding Tesla all you want for their QA, build quality, etc., but at the end of the day, people really, really want their product, even at a higher price than equivalent ICE cars. Much of that surely reflects economic bifurcation, but there it is.

Orvin posted:

I am seeing plenty of anecdotal cases of issues with the Mustang Mach-Es that are getting into customer’s hands. From low voltage battery charging issues, to charging speed issues depending on heater choice. Nothing catastrophic yet, and on the Mach-E forums, Ford seems to be trying to fix these issues proactively.

And hearing here about the Kona needing a recall for its batteries is another point towards manufacturers still needing to catch up to Tesla’s years of hard learned lessons.
The Model S debuted in 2012. Manufacturers have had nine years since the moment of, "whoops, Musk actually can deliver an electric car and make it good" to start working on quality BEVs. As a three-time Audi owner, I wasn't surprised to hear that e-trons have their problems. But Ford engineers publicly bragged about the quality of the Mach-E over competing models from Tesla, before it turns out that it also has a bevy of issues. Meanwhile, manufacturers are still struggling to match Teslas for range.

Basically my frustration is that BEVs are still a mess, there are still too few serious options in the market, and it sure seems to me like manufacturers are just passing the "dipping our toes in the water" stage now, nine years after Tesla's first big moment with the Model S. Automakers have taken so long to act that American public policy is catching up to them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do you think the Lucid Air will actually be a 500 mile EV?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The Model S debuted in 2012. Manufacturers have had nine years since the moment of, "whoops, Musk actually can deliver an electric car and make it good" to start working on quality BEVs. As a three-time Audi owner, I wasn't surprised to hear that e-trons have their problems. But Ford engineers publicly bragged about the quality of the Mach-E over competing models from Tesla, before it turns out that it also has a bevy of issues. Meanwhile, manufacturers are still struggling to match Teslas for range.

Basically my frustration is that BEVs are still a mess, there are still too few serious options in the market, and it sure seems to me like manufacturers are just passing the "dipping our toes in the water" stage now, nine years after Tesla's first big moment with the Model S. Automakers have taken so long to act that American public policy is catching up to them.

You could even go back to 2008 with the release of the Roadster as effectively a proof of concept. People kept saying Tesla stock was overpriced because established automakers will swoop in and crush them with their experience and scale, but it still hasn't happened yet. It is frustrating because we desperately need more competition in this space and it has taken too goddamn long. It does feel like we are almost there though finally.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

You can ding Tesla all you want for their QA, build quality, etc., but at the end of the day, people really, really want their product, even at a higher price than equivalent ICE cars. Much of that surely reflects economic bifurcation, but there it is.

In Europe, there was a 123% year-over-year growth in the EV market for the first 11 months of 2020. During the same period (jan-nov 2020) the Tesla Model 3 was down 14% in Europe and Tesla overall was down 10% for the entire 2020.

In the world’s only EV growth market for most of 2020, Tesla managed to be down 10%.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bandire posted:

You could even go back to 2008 with the release of the Roadster as effectively a proof of concept. People kept saying Tesla stock was overpriced because established automakers will swoop in and crush them with their experience and scale, but it still hasn't happened yet. It is frustrating because we desperately need more competition in this space and it has taken too goddamn long. It does feel like we are almost there though finally.

the roadster was very non viable as a normal car for normal people to buy and use for normal people things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the roadster was very non viable as a normal car for normal people to buy and use for normal people things

Yep, that's why I said proof of concept. The warning signs to the industry that Tesla could produce something people would want to buy started in 2008 is all I'm saying.