Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nitrousoxide posted:

It would be weird (just responding with stuff that was in episode 8) to call her dead because she's a monster when one of the reincarnated kids at the table she is talking to is also a monster.

Turns out the teacher, like all elves, is a raging bigot and barely considers humans alive.

It's a bit weird how different Kumoko is from Wakabe, while all the other students seem to be mental copies of their former self. Maybe the dragon girl is a bit more humble than before. Maybe Wakabe did die and her memories (but not her character) ended up in a random spider. She speculated this in the first episode. In the flashbacks, Wakabe hasn't even talken yet, right? We're just following the story of an adorable Aoi-Yuki-spider, who was overexposed to memories and pop cultural knowledge from a random reclusive dork.
I don't think that's what's going on, but it would be an interesting twist. Especially if they meet up at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

It would be weird (just responding with stuff that was in episode 8) to call her dead because she's a monster when one of the reincarnated kids at the table she is talking to is also a monster.

I think the idea in my head is that they were able to retrieve Fei before anything could happen to her and put her in an environment with the other classmates to look after her. While Kumoko has had weeks if not months of wandering around a dungeon and thus its basically too late to save her as she's essentially unreachable.

Oh and I think I have another idea, it's also possible that the question in the earlier episode by Julius to "find a spider monster" was Oka instructing Julius to do so (to find Kumoko/Wakabe!), and when Julius reported back that the spider monster they found tried to kill him Oka concluded that Julius was forced to kill Wakabe in self-defence.

And ooooooooh! Now maybe it all makes sense! Think about it. Julius would've reported back also that the spider monster they killed had like an insane amount of skills right? So Oka might have also concluded "Getting too many skills makes you lose your humanity, attacking humans. Ergo, I should tell my students who are most prone/at risk of acquiring skills to lay off the skill juice."

So here's what I think happened:
1. Oka had a means of knowing Wakabe reincarnated as a spider and where she was (the Great Labrynth).
2. Oka asked Julius to go search for a spider monster, in particular one that is stronger than normal. (Have we seen Oka and Julius interact or are implied to do so?)
3. Julius "found" a ultra strong spider monster (I forget if Julius appraised it, anyone remember off hand?), and was forced to slay it and reports back.
4. Oka concludes Wakabe is dead, as a direct result of getting an insane number of skills.
5. Oka warns her students to avoid getting skills, probably because gaining skills results in a cycle of obsession to gain more skills which leads you to temptation to do drastic/immoral things for more skills/power.
6. Oka tells her students when they ask about Wakabe.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Turns out the teacher, like all elves, is a raging bigot and barely considers humans alive.

It's a bit weird how different Kumoko is from Wakabe, while all the other students seem to be mental copies of their former self. Maybe the dragon girl is a bit more humble than before. Maybe Wakabe did die and her memories (but not her character) ended up in a random spider. She speculated this in the first episode. In the flashbacks, Wakabe hasn't even talken yet, right? We're just following the story of an adorable Aoi-Yuki-spider, who was overexposed to memories and pop cultural knowledge from a random reclusive dork.
I don't think that's what's going on, but it would be an interesting twist. Especially if they meet up at some point.

I think we're supposed to think that like Tomoko from Watamote, Wakabe was very shy/an introverted nerd with a bustling extroverted side to her at heart that got unlocked in her new circumstances, basically I think Wakabe was always like this inside her head/reading manga/playing games but couldn't overcome her nervousness/shyness when speaking to other people.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 26, 2021

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Another interpretation of this (if we believe the teacher)) is that Wakaba is dead. I don't remember Kumoko ever positively id'ing herself as Wakaba. She could be another girl in class - like this Spooky person who was just introduced.

Also I still get really bad vibes from this teacher. I sincerely doubt that a lot of what she is doing is for her students' own good. Considering that mentally they'd all be in their late 20s/early 30s by now. her being so cagey about naming names for so long is hugely suspicious to me. So I really take what she says with a grain of salt.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Gyges posted:

All the kids, monsters(and maybe voice cult girl) aside, seem to have been born into some level of nobility
I think it's implied that Oka basically kidnapped all the reincarnators born to commoners and stashed them in the elf village, but she can't do that to the nobles because it would cause major diplomatic incidents, so instead she's keeping an eye on them herself.

And narratively it reduces that group of important characters from 20 to a more manageable 6-7.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Another possibility: Oka is lying.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Raenir Salazar posted:

2. Oka asked Julius to go search for a spider monster, in particular one that is stronger than normal. (Have we seen Oka and Julius interact or are implied to do so?)
3. Julius "found" a ultra strong spider monster (I forget if Julius appraised it, anyone remember off hand?), and was forced to slay it and reports back.

For point number 2, I don't think we've even seen Julius interact with Schlain/Shuu let alone Oka, though the former part is more due to skipping material. With respect to point number 3, no, and even if he did it wouldn't have been enough to see skills seeing as he even had to guess the rough magnitude of its stats based on observation.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 26, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
There's also the possibility that Wakaba was killed in the dungeon by Kumoko's "parent" and Wakaba's memories were passed down to Kumoko Chimera Ant style. This would explain the personality differences and why Kumoko only started with 100 skill points when all the other reincarnates, including Fei, seemed to have started with a boatload.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Oka is just being really literal. Wakaba was killed. Just like all the other members of that classroom.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
So I guess poor Magic Brain 2 is going to be the nebbish of the group.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sindai posted:

And narratively it reduces that group of important characters from 20 to a more manageable 6-7.

Only a handful of people having a name or lines in the flashback should have made that clear.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Doodles posted:

So I guess poor Magic Brain 2 is going to be the nebbish of the group.
I loved that introduction.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

kirtar posted:

For point number 2, I don't think we've even seen Julius interact with Schlain/Shuu let alone Oka, though the former part is more due to skipping material. With respect to point number 3, no, and even if he did it wouldn't have been enough to see skills seeing as he even had to guess the rough magnitude of its stats based on observation.

Regarding point 2, we don't need to have seen any interaction for the possibility it could be true, after all Oka is mysterious and does a lot of plotting off screen. But there being some sort of hinted connection would make my theory work better.

Whether Julius has appraisal isn't essential for point 3 though, it would strengthen it but it doesn't really weaken it. It'd be somewhat reckless but them's the breaks for Oka to send Julius to randomly poke at spiders until an ultra strong one is found.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Oka is just being really literal. Wakaba was killed. Just like all the other members of that classroom.

This would fit more in the theory 'Oka is lying' (jedi style) by answering their questions with a technically correct yet misleading statement ("Your father died during the Clone Wars..."); which of course begs the question, to what end? Why would she want the students to not be on the lookout for Wakabe?

It's Fascinating since none of this was in the manga so I get to speculate and theorize with everyone else. :D

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 26, 2021

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

copy posted:

Another interpretation of this (if we believe the teacher)) is that Wakaba is dead. I don't remember Kumoko ever positively id'ing herself as Wakaba. She could be another girl in class - like this Spooky person who was just introduced.

Also I still get really bad vibes from this teacher. I sincerely doubt that a lot of what she is doing is for her students' own good. Considering that mentally they'd all be in their late 20s/early 30s by now. her being so cagey about naming names for so long is hugely suspicious to me. So I really take what she says with a grain of salt.

someone posted an unmarked spoiler on the bottom of the last page that has me thinking spooky is sophia

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Where did the Kumoko name come from anyway? Actually has she referred herself to Kumoko outside of the ED?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's not actually her name, it's just kumo (spider) -ko (girl).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's not actually her name, it's just kumo (spider) -ko (girl child).

FTFY. It's gender neutral. It's just far more common for female given names to use it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

In the credits she's just credited as "I". It's amusing this week since it's
"I" - Aoi Yuki
"I" (Body Brain) - Aoi Yuki
"I" (Magic Brain) - Aoi Yuki
"I" (Magic Brain 2) - Aoi Yuki

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

In the credits she's just credited as "I". It's amusing this week since it's
"I" - Aoi Yuki
"I" (Body Brain) - Aoi Yuki
"I" (Magic Brain) - Aoi Yuki
"I" (Magic Brain 2) - Aoi Yuki

So I'm a Spider, so What? Starring Aoi Yuuki and Aoi Yuuki. Special Guest Aoi Yuuki. And now, introducing, Aoi Yuuki.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Clearly we need at least one more to take us off the death number.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Maybe there was a spider in her hair, and when they all got blown up the souls got fused, and thus reincarnating as a spider because half her soul is a spider.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I wonder if they just give Aoi Yuki a fistful of paychecks after each recording session.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
It is incredibly, incredibly satisfying to hear Aoi Yuuki discussing with Aoi Yuuki, later giving commands to Aoi Yuuki, and finally shutting down Aoi Yuuki along with Aoi Yuuki and Aoi Yuuki.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

Maybe there was a spider in her hair, and when they all got blown up the souls got fused, and thus reincarnating as a spider because half her soul is a spider.

So, what did dragon girl do?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Aoi Yuuki show.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

i dont know why why you tagged this as a spoiler but im glad i accidentally hovered it because it gave me a brain blast, thanks to the scene from this week showing them all in the real world. they were teasing the one friend about being gay, and now hes the childhood friend girl of our kind gentle isekai human protagonist? the bully was a firebreathing jerkass so she became a dragon? the rear end in a top hat entitled jock guy that comes back as an rear end in a top hat entitled prince? the meek girl that just wants to be left alone and be treated as insignificant comes back as a spider? this wasn't random, someone has clearly analyzed and sorted them into their current situations. maybe thats what the weird skill is about from last week?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jatFuvT_5k

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Why is everyone spoiler tagging poo poo from already aired anime episodes? It makes it real hard to tell the difference between discussion of the anime and actual ln/manga spoilers.

Xelkelvos posted:

Another possibility: Oka is lying.

I think this is actually a good possibility. Oka doesn't want to tell anyone anything, but obviously everyone wants to know if the 4 dead people are one of their friends. The easy out is to say one of the two outcasts are dead when asked. Also I'm assuming that "Spooky" is the vampire girl in the opening. Weird that both the outcasts came back as fanged predators.

Though it's also possible that using perseverance gave Oka the impression that Kumoko was dead because her HP technically went below zero. Which is assuming Oka is using some sort of moderator/admin(depending on which she is) skill to track the students instead of just an old fashioned spy network.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Maybe Kumoko really is dead and the rest of the series is a death-by-flame-induced hallucination. Or maybe she's a ghost :ghost:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thoughts on general structure of manga vs light novel. Spoiler for anime onlys, of course

Manga is focusing on the spider only, in comparison with the Light Novel. Some people who dislike the other plotlines actually prefer the manga because that reason. But it occurred to me that it isn't focusing in Shun, Katia and the rest... right now. In the light novels, it jumps back and forth because Kumoko vs Shun and co. for the first volumes until it reaches a climax in an important battle, and then it proceeds to blue ball you by focusing only on the spider on her temporal line for several volumes in a row, leaving the moments to resume that scene in a years long hiatus. In fact it seems it won't come back to the cliffhanger until a pair of volumes more, I think.
So what maybe the author of the manga will do is to move the other reincarnators story to be shown much closer to the point where Kumoko story approaches the present moment, that way the narration will be more seamless, without the point of view of some characters having to be paused for years.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Super Jay Mann posted:

Maybe Kumoko really is dead and the rest of the series is a death-by-flame-induced hallucination. Or maybe she's a ghost :ghost:

Maybe she gets double reincarnated, only this time she's a spider monkey.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gyges posted:

Like Stan in the Flying Deuces, or Satou Kazuma in Konosuba she's cunningly chosen to be reincarnated as herself this time, minimizing all the fuss going forward.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Gyges posted:

I remember a children's book series growing up that was about a bunch of ghosts who could only interact with living people in the world through a typewriter and extremely gentle touches to the ear to designate yes or no. A bunch of books into it though they introduced a level of ghost ghosts who were ghosts of ghosts who got killed as while ghosts.

I forget the name of this series but this post reminded me of it.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 28, 2021

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Super Jay Mann posted:

So would you say that she is held over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider or other loathsome insect over the fire?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Thoughts on general structure of manga vs light novel. Spoiler for anime onlys, of course

Manga is focusing on the spider only, in comparison with the Light Novel. Some people who dislike the other plotlines actually prefer the manga because that reason. But it occurred to me that it isn't focusing in Shun, Katia and the rest... right now. In the light novels, it jumps back and forth because Kumoko vs Shun and co. for the first volumes until it reaches a climax in an important battle, and then it proceeds to blue ball you by focusing only on the spider on her temporal line for several volumes in a row, leaving the moments to resume that scene in a years long hiatus. In fact it seems it won't come back to the cliffhanger until a pair of volumes more, I think.
So what maybe the author of the manga will do is to move the other reincarnators story to be shown much closer to the point where Kumoko story approaches the present moment, that way the narration will be more seamless, without the point of view of some characters having to be paused for years.

alternately, it is focusing so much on the human side because otherwise aoi yuuki would drop dead from exhaustion.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Gyges posted:

I think this is actually a good possibility. Oka doesn't want to tell anyone anything, but obviously everyone wants to know if the 4 dead people are one of their friends. The easy out is to say one of the two outcasts are dead when asked.

Also, Oka's already been sketchy about the status of Wakaba before - Fei asks about her in episode 2 and Oka noticeably hesitates for a moment and breaks eye contact to look at Shun instead while saying Wakaba is unaccounted for.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Dartonus posted:

Also, Oka's already been sketchy about the status of Wakaba before - Fei asks about her in episode 2 and Oka noticeably hesitates for a moment and breaks eye contact to look at Shun instead while saying Wakaba is unaccounted for.

The most logical interpretation is that Wakaba died between episode 2 and now, human side.
Of course in this anime nothing is at it seems though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eeepies posted:

The most logical interpretation is that Wakaba died between episode 2 and now, human side.
Of course in this anime nothing is at it seems though.

I still think all the Kumoko stuff is actually happening 15 or so years before all the human stuff. So a lot could absolutely have happened, like Kumoko actually dying but using some skill or such to dodge the boat trip down the Styx. Maybe she transferred her consciousness to a nearly dead young miss of a down on their luck family. Resulting in her spending the last few years in a Cultivation story, while all the other classmates are stuck in this silly standard Isekai story.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the 4 dead students, should they actually be dead, were all also reincarnated as monsters. They just all died because it's a rough life for a monster who isn't raised as the pet of a prince. Most reincarnated as a monster beings probably face a very similar first few hours after birth as Kumoko did. Real rough turnover rate there.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I still say Kumoko is Wakaba second reincarnation.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I still say Kumoko is Wakaba second reincarnation.

Wouldn't she have memories of her first reincarnation in that case?

About Wakaba being so expressive as a spider: Isn't that all actually internal monologue? I don't think she actually has a pair of human eyes, too.
The spider Julius fought, and might be Kumoko, had normal spider eyes and didn't talk.
Those adventurers recovering the egg didn't react to Aoi Yuuki squealing either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lurking Haro posted:

Wouldn't she have memories of her first reincarnation in that case?

About Wakaba being so expressive as a spider: Isn't that all actually internal monologue? I don't think she actually has a pair of human eyes, too.
The spider Julius fought, and might be Kumoko, had normal spider eyes and didn't talk.
Those adventurers recovering the egg didn't react to Aoi Yuuki squealing either.

1. Not necessarily. We don't know the mechanics of the reincarnation system. She could've died as a baby. We don't even know the extent of what she recalls from her life in Japan.
2. Agreed, but I don't think that negates the theory. Speaking from a mechanics viewpoint, my biggest lingering question is why the skill point discrepancy.

The situation with Hugo and all the talk surrounding skill points is probably more important to Kumoko's situation than they let on. Seeing as she was a gamer otaku who automatically went to her skill tree when the game voice told her she had points to spend, I could easily see her going overboard in her first reincarnation, causing her to get drained/reset back to zero like Hugo and dying afterwards.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 28, 2021