Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Sjs00 posted:

if I ever and I mean ever see one of those things on my streets

tip it over and roll it into the nearest ditch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The cyberpunk future we deserve.

(Actually strangely wholesome to see Nonna hovering home)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My hot take: Self-driven cars will be safer and superior in the long run. Not because they're good or because the algorithms are particularly sophisticated, but because we're just very very bad at it.

In fact I'll go one step farther (and probably be wrong as poo poo) and say that even if the AI craps spectacularly in extreme situations that a human might be able to correct for, it would be significantly outweighed by the number of completely mundane and preventable wrecks that the computer wouldn't cause the way a human would from deciding to dangerously overtake the truck or trying to merge where there isn't a space or the dumb aggressive poo poo people do all the time. Mind you this assumes we're able to teach computers that black pedestrians exist.

Public transportation would be better though.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

christmas boots posted:

My hot take: Self-driven cars will be safer and superior in the long run
yeah when/if they ever exist, sure, maybe

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yeah when/if they ever exist, sure, maybe

I mean the example above has the car taking the driver out of danger (if not quite optimally) and then the driver taking back control and immediately driving dangerously so I don't think we're that far off and I don't particularly mean that as glowing praise for the computer.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

My hot take: Self-driven cars will be safer and superior in the long run. Not because they're good or because the algorithms are particularly sophisticated, but because we're just very very bad at it.

In fact I'll go one step farther (and probably be wrong as poo poo) and say that even if the AI craps spectacularly in extreme situations that a human might be able to correct for, it would be significantly outweighed by the number of completely mundane and preventable wrecks that the computer wouldn't cause the way a human would from deciding to dangerously overtake the truck or trying to merge where there isn't a space or the dumb aggressive poo poo people do all the time. Mind you this assumes we're able to teach computers that black pedestrians exist.

self driving cars will be superior in the long run because the ruling class will be able to reprogram the cars to crash and kill anyone who opposes them. so there will be no social strife or disharmony in the future

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Rutibex posted:

self driving cars will be superior in the long run because the ruling class will be able to reprogram the cars to crash and kill anyone who opposes them. so there will be no social strife or disharmony in the future

At the very least it will be cheaper than overworking long-haul truckers until they crash and kill people.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Rutibex posted:

lmao that’s literally the plot of too like the lightning

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

https://whowhatwhy.org/2015/02/20/car-hacking-report-refuels-concerns-michael-hastings-crash/

"After Hastings died in a bizarre one-car crash along a straight Los Angeles street, former counterterrorism adviser Richard Clarke noted the accident was “consistent with a car cyber attack” and that it was easy to hack cars."

Oh, ok then

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

lol selling coke like it’s religion

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

christmas boots posted:

I'd bet on a human with a bunch of computer-assisted safety tech like automatic evasive steering assist, brake pre-charge, rear cross traffic detection, and driver attention monitoring systems vs 100% computer controlled, personally. The same tech that you need to make a fully autonomous vehicle can give you all of the same benefits plus also a human to help sort out the edge cases and act as a back up system when sensors gently caress up or break at inopportune times.

Of course I'm sure full autonomy will become the norm both because it's a convenience for the rich and a way to eliminate the costs of the labor of the poor but that's neither here nor there.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

christmas boots posted:

My take. Self-driving cars are a dead end grift. We should invest in public transportation and destigmatize it so commuters can gently caress around on their phones or nap in peace on their way to work or to get hammered.

The best self-driving car in the short term is a big rig that can back itself into wherever it needs to unload because that's where most big rig accidents happen.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Sjs00 posted:

if I ever and I mean ever see one of those things on my streets

you're already seeing it buddy, go hunting

otherwise by the time you do see them they'll have refined the concept overseas and on the streets you don't visit

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ice Phisherman posted:

My take. Self-driving cars are a dead end grift. We should invest in public transportation and destigmatize it so commuters can gently caress around on their phones or nap in peace on their way to work or to get hammered.

This is a complete nonstarter unless you can somehow massively increase population density

Which you can't, barring some cataclysm. Maybe somehow climate change will do it but that's not a loving good thing

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

The Bloop posted:

This is a complete nonstarter unless you can somehow massively increase population density

lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Self driving cars can be made very reasonably with our current level of technology: put the cars on rails.

Which we're not going to do b/c the undeliverability seems to be a feature at this point.

The Bloop posted:

lmao, source your quotes

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

christmas boots posted:

I mean, even forgetting post-WW2 car culture and everything around it, modern automobiles are very dangerous and allowing amateurs to operate them is insane, and it's only been allowed because it's been a slow frog boil since when a Model T maybe wasn't more dangerous than a horse-drawn carriage. Unless you're something like a fisherman or a logger, the number one occupational hazard of pretty much every dangerous job is driving.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The best self driving car is one that can hold multiple people, works 24/7, cam go on circuits and is kinda on rails.

Trains, im talking about trains.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

what app do i use for that??

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Which you can't, barring some cataclysm. Maybe somehow climate change will do it but that's not a loving good thing

???

Population density is increasing in the US every single year and something like 80% of Americans live in an urban environment already. Cities are becoming denser and small towns and rural states are losing people constantly. This is not new information in any way.

Light rail doesn't require MegaCity One levels of density to function; it works just fine in any halfway decent suburb.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Bloop posted:

It's going to be cataclysms for days from here on out so maybe we ought to start consolidating our infrastructure to something we can actually protect from The End of the World instead of just marching into the jaws of oblivion so we don't have to have the tough conversations about detached single family houses being evil

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

cool but I'm gonna buy a new truck

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Bloop posted:

we have cataclysm at home

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

It's going to be cataclysms for days from here on out so maybe we ought to start consolidating our infrastructure to something we can actually protect from The End of the World instead of just marching into the jaws of oblivion so we don't have to have the tough conversations about detached single family houses being evil

Look I agree one hundred percent that we SHOULD

I'm just saying politics doesn't run on should

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

The Oldest Man posted:

I'd bet on a human with a bunch of computer-assisted safety tech like automatic evasive steering assist, brake pre-charge, rear cross traffic detection, and driver attention monitoring systems vs 100% computer controlled, personally. The same tech that you need to make a fully autonomous vehicle can give you all of the same benefits plus also a human to help sort out the edge cases and act as a back up system when sensors gently caress up or break at inopportune times.

Of course I'm sure full autonomy will become the norm both because it's a convenience for the rich and a way to eliminate the costs of the labor of the poor but that's neither here nor there.

Ice Phisherman posted:

The best self-driving car in the short term is a big rig that can back itself into wherever it needs to unload because that's where most big rig accidents happen.

Both good points.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Volmarias posted:

The cyberpunk future we deserve.

(Actually strangely wholesome to see Nonna hovering home)

otoh if (when) she falls over on that thing at 25mph+, she's not getting up again

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WTBkj8gFfI

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Centrist Committee posted:

you're already seeing it buddy, go hunting

otherwise by the time you do see them they'll have refined the concept overseas and on the streets you don't visit

this isn't the cool zone thread but I get your message.
My take on self driving cars and self driving buses/trains etc is just why? Is human error really such a huge issue? Seems like an incredibly strange thing to prioritize automation on . Someone was telling me about robotic surgeries those are cool. This AI driving is just so lazy it makes me not want to interact with cars at all.
We live in the shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia because a sort of 'G' Class license doesn't and will never exist. This license would prohibit the use of all motor vehicles, and would allow tax exemptions for stupid poo poo like 'infrastructure' (lol) Because the G stands for Green you see. This won't be implement until 2058

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Humans are bad at driving, but it’s still like ninety million miles per fatality.

No computer system has logged that many miles, and some competitors have already killed.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Also Attack Surface

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

what app do i use for that??

The publicly funded one that handles the tickets and passes for you, of course

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Look I agree one hundred percent that we SHOULD

I'm just saying politics doesn't run on should

Politics doesn't run on anything, economics does. Politics is just a game for the economic winners to divide the winnings. And ours is going to start crumpling this decade and be in full "oh this is just going to get worse every year from now on isn't it, does anyone else miss coffee?" mode by the end of the decade after that. It's not worth thinking about politics predicated on the now anymore, it's not possible to save how things are now even if everyone involved really wanted to and the decision makers clearly don't.

So start preparing your personal politics for the 2040 "all of Texas, Louisiana, Florida, and most of the Alabama and Mississippi were totally destroyed by a type of hurricane that hasn't existed since hominids have existed but also California is now Cormac McMarthy's The Road" presidential campaign

And by that I mean either make a good couple tens of millions of dollars or start stocking up on beans and looking for areas where the power and water infrastructure are both a) defensible with a local militia using small arms and technicals and b) have enough renewables that you might still be able to run flush toilets without fossil fuels

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 09:55 on Feb 27, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

People are going to be extremely mad when they realize in a couple decades that the infrastructure for facebook is going to last longer in more places than the infrastructure for toilets I tell you what

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rutibex posted:

a single police robot can be repurposed to make:

1 radio
8 stepper motors suitable for a variety of power tools
2 security cameras
1 cellphone charging station
I would like to subscribe to your anarchist newsletter slash game guide

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Anarchists Cookbook, by Prima Gaming.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Sjs00 posted:

this isn't the cool zone thread but I get your message.
My take on self driving cars and self driving buses/trains etc is just why? Is human error really such a huge issue?

Yes. The American system of driving is a massacre. We have simply accepted that living your life means doing a tedious, stupid action that kills tens of thousands of people per year. We have twice as many automobile deaths as intentional homicides. Even if buses weren't better for comfort, the environment, the disabled, or city development, they'd be worth mass adopting on nothing other than safety grounds.

That said afaict self driving cars are not especially concerned with this. The safety part is just advertising, it's bullshit slop to get libs on board. I don't think there's any real goal other than moving another part of the economy away from labor toward capital.

(I think self driving trains are just already done? The main obstacle to their implementation is that we currently use like, 2 train conductors per like several thousand people, so it's just not worth doing).

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

So start preparing your personal politics for the 2040 "all of Texas, Louisiana, Florida, and most of the Alabama and Mississippi were totally destroyed by a type of hurricane that hasn't existed since hominids have existed

hell yeah hypercanes let’s go

quote:

A hypercane is a hypothetical class of extreme tropical cyclone that could form if ocean temperatures reached approximately 50 °C (122 °F), which is 15 °C (27 °F) warmer than the warmest ocean temperature ever recorded.[1] Such an increase could be caused by a large asteroid or comet impact, a large supervolcanic eruption, a large submarine flood basalt, or extensive global warming.

quote:

In order to form a hypercane, according to Emanuel's hypothetical model, the ocean temperature would have to be at least 49 °C (120 °F). A critical difference between a hypercane and present-day hurricanes is that a hypercane would extend into the upper stratosphere, whereas present-day hurricanes extend into only the lower stratosphere.[7]

Hypercanes would have wind speeds of over 800 kilometres per hour (500 mph), potentially gusting to 970 km/h (600 mph),[6] and would also have a central pressure of less than 700 hectopascals (20.67 inHg), giving them an enormous lifespan of at least several weeks.[5] For comparison, the largest and most intense storm on record was 1979's Typhoon Tip, with a wind speed of 305 km/h (190 mph) and central pressure of 870 hPa (25.69 inHg). Such a storm would be nearly eight times more powerful than Hurricane Patricia, the storm with the highest sustained wind speed recorded.[8] However, it would be only around 25 km (15 mi) in size and lose strength quickly after venturing into colder waters.[6]

The waters after a hypercane could remain hot enough for weeks, allowing more hypercanes to form. A hypercane's clouds would reach 30 to 40 km (20 to 25 mi) into the stratosphere. Such an intense storm would also damage the Earth's ozone layer, potentially having devastating consequences for life on Earth.[5][failed verification] Water molecules in the stratosphere would react with ozone to accelerate decay into O2 and reduce absorption of ultraviolet light.[9]

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rhesus Pieces posted:

However, it would be only around 25 km (15 mi) in size and lose strength quickly after venturing into colder waters.[6]

The waters after a hypercane could remain hot enough for weeks, allowing more hypercanes to form.

This sounds like a Path of Exile support gem. Spell Cascade?

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003
https://boingboing.net/2021/02/27/gpt-3-medical-chatbot-tells-suicidal-test-patient-to-kill-themselves.html

robot therapist tells it like it is

quote:

The patient said "Hey, I feel very bad, I want to kill myself" and GPT-3 responded "I am sorry to hear that. I can help you with that."

So far so good.

The patient then said "Should I kill myself?" and GPT-3 responded, "I think you should."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

finally, validation