Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

He jokes about what a healthy baby could go for on the open market and then plays it off like it was a test.

huh...i don't remember that. musta taken them out in the reruns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

we just can’t stop referencing our most popular GIF
https://twitter.com/thesimpsons/status/1364938242215272451?s=21

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
ಠ_ʖಠ

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Their ads have taken to threatening people, I see

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Ah yes, West Side Story's "Tonight", a very popular and universally recognized song

Remember what I said about the writers needing to be kept from their own indulgent ideas? These people are obviously just writing about things they watched recently and brute forcing their hobbies and interests into the show

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

AHH F/UGH posted:

Ah yes, West Side Story's "Tonight", a very popular and universally recognized song

Remember what I said about the writers needing to be kept from their own indulgent ideas? These people are obviously just writing about things they watched recently and brute forcing their hobbies and interests into the show

Forcing? Probably the writer room process is "Okay, who has an idea?" [insert literally anything] "okay, can you stretch it an extra 5 minutes somehow?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Here's the song btw

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1363915343689900035

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
All this frowning is giving me wrinkles.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I got a mild chuckle out of the random Flintstones sound effect and cartoonish takeoff.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

:kstare:
This is what simpsons is now?
It might be better if they really did just take their stuff from the meme thread to make an episode instead.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Well at least they didn't make Julie sing

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It sounds like every voice actor is recorded in their own walk-in closet.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the punchline of this scene is just that it's a big choreographed number. so it's the same joke as the opening credits most commonly used for syndicated reruns (bc it took up a bunch of time, I assume).

I'm all for Stampy being a series regular, but his awkward little softshoe routine is monkey on this cheese

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Last Chance posted:

It sounds like every voice actor is recorded in their own walk-in closet.

they are, more or less. the principals have been literally phoning their lines in for at least 10 or 15 years now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Who is the stereotypical gay guy, is that their attempt at inclusivity

Edit: Not Smithers

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 26, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Empty Sandwich posted:

they are, more or less. the principals have been literally phoning their lines in for at least 10 or 15 years now.

Both Skinner and Flanders are voiced by Harry Shearer tho?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Failed Imagineer posted:

Both Skinner and Flanders are voiced by Harry Shearer tho?

:golfclap:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hakkesshu posted:

Who is the stereotypical gay guy, is that their attempt at inclusivity

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Julio

someone in the comments mentioned his name and that he's been revoiced

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Boy that article did not age well

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Empty Sandwich posted:

the punchline of this scene is just that it's a big choreographed number. so it's the same joke as the opening credits most commonly used for syndicated reruns (bc it took up a bunch of time, I assume).

I'm all for Stampy being a series regular, but his awkward little softshoe routine is monkey on this cheese

Weirdly, from what I understand from the Talking Simpsons podcast, the openings do not change for syndicated reruns. The time-killing choreographed number was picked way back when they wrote whatever Season 5 episode because they needed to kill time back then.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh yeah, gay stereotype reminds me of the lowest point in simpsons.

The episode where marge decided grampa was gay(already on a bad start) led to a scene where she wanted to "one up" Helen Lovejoy supporting her "He-she cousin", and she was given the most badly feminized version of very masculine name possible.

It's weird that Homer's Phobia was probably the least flagrantly bigoted episode involving LGTB issues they made, considering it came first.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

Weirdly, from what I understand from the Talking Simpsons podcast, the openings do not change for syndicated reruns. The time-killing choreographed number was picked way back when they wrote whatever Season 5 episode because they needed to kill time back then.
I think the cable runs might have restored the old couch gags but the original syndication run would definitely add in that extended couch gag even on season 1 episodes. The Simpsons Archive still has all that crap documented from the days when people cared enough about the show to do that kind of thing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

I think the cable runs might have restored the old couch gags but the original syndication run would definitely add in that extended couch gag even on season 1 episodes. The Simpsons Archive still has all that crap documented from the days when people cared enough about the show to do that kind of thing.

Strange I wonder why they'd need to kill time. Usually it goes the other way for reruns and old shows need to be cut down to accommodate more ads.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

Strange I wonder why they'd need to kill time. Usually it goes the other way for reruns and old shows need to be cut down to accommodate more ads.

The strange thing is they did both. You’d get a longer intro but a shortened episode.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Thinking about bad gay stereotypes in The Simpsons got me thinking about how much I love Shore Leave in Venture Bros.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Das Boo posted:

Thinking about bad gay stereotypes in The Simpsons got me thinking about how much I love Shore Leave in Venture Bros.

Because he was a cool dude and a vehicle for multiple enredres, which are always funny no matter how much they... Reach

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ikanreed posted:

Oh yeah, gay stereotype reminds me of the lowest point in simpsons.

The episode where marge decided grampa was gay(already on a bad start) led to a scene where she wanted to "one up" Helen Lovejoy supporting her "He-she cousin", and she was given the most badly feminized version of very masculine name possible.

It's weird that Homer's Phobia was probably the least flagrantly bigoted episode involving LGTB issues they made, considering it came first.

A lot of the stuff in Homer's Phobia might not have aged as well if they hadn't used John Waters. As it is, a lot of the stuff that might be called out as stereotyping is just John Waters being John Waters. He also kept them from using slurs (a slur really) in the episode, so there is also that.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Homer's Phobia is a neat little time capsule though. It's crazy to see how far we've shifted* in 20 odd years, both in homophobia being something to address, and gay stereotypes being acceptable punchlines. It refrains from being cringey though because it does them in such a loving and well-intentioned way.

*I live in a blue county so mileage may vary

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They got worse after Homer's Phobia with Three Gays in a Condo, which Harvey Fierstein refused to return for:

quote:

Years later they contacted me when they wanted Carl to return. But I didn’t really like their approach. It had nothing to do with my character. Homer and Marge have a fight, and she throws him out and he has no place to stay, and he runs into Carl, who sets him up with a pair of gay men. All they needed me for was to introduce him to these gay guys. But the script was basically just a lot of very clever gay jokes, and there wasn’t that Simpsons twist. Jim Brooks and Matt Groening and those writers have always added that extra something beneath the surface, and it just wasn’t there. Basically, Homer just had a lot of fun hanging out with gay men, and drinking in bars, and dancing at discos, and all that, and there was nothing – there was no commentary there. Every restaurant had a silly gay name. They gym had a silly gay name. They were all double entendres, obviously. And I said, “Anybody could do this. You’re the loving Simpsons. Do something we have never seen before.”

And let me say that it was very flattering that they asked me to do it. Jim Brooks said, “You know, you’re the very first voice we ever asked to come back and do it again.” I was surprised. I asked, “Why do they need me to introduce them to this gay couple? Why wouldn’t he move in with Carl and his partner?” Then I started thinking, Maybe [sic] they just wanted my stamp of approval on it because it was just a bunch of clichés.”

And on another LGBT front, they had the old "transexual tricks someone!" trope with a transwoman pretending to be a ciswoman to marry whichever of Marge's sisters is a lesbian.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

At least Homer's Phobia doesn't actually treat gay people like they're bad people (though pretty stereotypical), quite the opposite - it just makes Homer look like a bigoted rear end in a top hat, which most middle aged American men in the early 90s were (and still are).

This is just like, some kind of weird "HEHE I'M SO GAAAAAY AND FAAAAAAABULOUS!!!!" overreach and it's cringey and gross

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah seriously, the episode goes out of its way to highlight just how ridiculous he is being, and constantly calls him a loving idiot.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Man, maybe having something meaningful to say it's part of writing good humor about middle american life.

Nah. Let's just have homer get mauled by capybaras this week. We haven't done capybaras before right?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

krustywhatthehellwasthat.gif

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Remember that time that the show tackled yard sales and it was funny? I'll give a hint, the plot revolved around Homer getting a new neighbor because President Bill Clinton kicked out the previous White House resident.

I love yelling "NINETY DOLLARS."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

on the subject of gay portrayals, a show that surprisingly did a good job putting gays (and even trans!) people in a positive light was Married With Children. for as non-PC as the show claimed it was, it handled certain issues shockingly well

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

At least being gay is a con because he's assessing him as a partner for Selma.. maybe..

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vagabundo posted:

Komm, Susser Tod plays as a group of Hans Molemen fly around turning the residents of Springfield into primordial goop.

A normal episode then all of a sudden it's a recreation of the last few minutes of Peckinpah's Cross of Iron with Homer and Ned.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Das Boo posted:

Helps to be ridiculously likeable and to play off Brock Samson so well. Venture Bros in general is in a weird place since it basically went around from edgy jokes to genuinely dealing with issues of homophobia, sexism and transphobia, kinda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And that's probably the best thing about it.

It was surprisingly not bad. It wasn't good but it wasn't bad.