Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Completely unique knockout.

Fusion is really the black sheep of the whyachi clan. Not even close to as good as the rest of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

cant say I ever saw a bot explode on top of another bot and then get counted out while still on another bot

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Looking forward to next year's Fusion vs Hypershock fight wherein Hypershock spotaneously flips on its back as soon as the lights turn green, and in response, Fusion promptly bursts into a fireball. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ha, the producers finally learned their lesson and got the judges to explain their contentious decisions right there in the episode rather than let the internet argue over it :v:

I guess now that a lot of the bots are super reliable bricks with hard but brittle weapons we might be seeing similar results a fair bit more often in future

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

cant say I ever saw a bot explode on top of another bot and then get counted out while still on another bot

It nestled down really neatly over the other bot's frozen weapon and got stuck pretty well so I guess there wasn't much choice

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I feel like this fight is for this quarter of the bracket. Whoever wins this is the favorite to take it to the Final Four.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Great fight. It's too bad Skorpios' weapon crapped out early

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Witch Doctor was a lot better driven in this match than it was during the qualifiers.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Skorpios driving itself into the screws instead of WD didn't help

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

lol, way to spoil the episode for those without discovery plus. What a douche.

PostNouveau posted:

My dude, it's airing right at this moment

:yikes: i don't watch it on tv and i completely lost track of when it would normally air, i'm really sorry to everyone who saw my dumb post!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

PostNouveau posted:

Drawing Gruff as your 31 seed as a reward for your 2 seed. Does someone on the selection committee loving hate Bloodsport?
I feel like Jackpot, Skorpios, and Madcatter also got really tough draws for having very good seasons (Beta got what it deserved :colbert:)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

:yikes: i don't watch it on tv and i completely lost track of when it would normally air, i'm really sorry to everyone who saw my dumb post!

No biggie it's understandable

Coaaab posted:

I feel like Jackpot, Skorpios, and Madcatter also got really tough draws for having very good seasons (Beta got what it deserved :colbert:)

Madcatter must have been especially peeved

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
RIP My bracket, and everyone else's.

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1365129679024218114

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Boy, those Omni-wheels are loving something
God drat, shatter looked terrifying

I liked what Jackpot tried, but lmao, that's what you get for changing things

Yay, Mammoth, everything went right and they're so delightfully nerdy

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 26, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

At the edge of my seat during that Mammoth decision. Totally earned it imo.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Kraken being able to drive on 1 wheel is hella impressive

Haha yeah that threw me for a loop. I thought we were in for the traditional crabwalk and then they just kept driving semi-normally on one wheel somehow. I assume through sorcery.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

GuavaMoment posted:

RIP My bracket, and everyone else's.

Very much this

Updated Standings
12 - Kloaked00
12- Oh Jay
12- Fish of Doom
12- Esoter1c
11- Queering Wheel
11- Mumbling
11- No Broccoli Please
11- Coaaab
11- Guava Moment
10- Halloween Jack
10- Slick Goku Baby
10- Great Beer
10- Beepsandboops
10- Post Nouveau
9- KennyMan666
9- Zedd
7- Tunicate

-Shoutout to No Broccoli Please for being the only person to correctly predict the Copperhead/Mammoth fight!
-Fun fact: In the next round, 15/17 of us picked Copperhead to advance, Slick Goku Baby chose Lockjaw, and No Broccoli Please put their faith in again in Mammoth
-Great Beer, Beepsandboops, No Broccoli Please, Coaaab, Oh Jay, Zedd, Post Nouveau, Mumbling, Esoter1c, and Guava Moment still have their predicted champion in play

Kloaked00 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 26, 2021

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Oof, only got 1/4 right in the bottom right bracket and didn't have them going past the semis. What a brutal upset by Mammoth.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Oof, only 5/8 tonight, but none of the upsets are going to hurt my overall bracket unless they continue to defy expectations.

I have severely underestimated Tantrum and Shatter. Gruff, not so much.

Sidenote, I really appreciate everyone spoiler-tagging the Bounty Hunter stuff. I'm planning to binge it with a 7-day Discovery plus trial once they're all released.

Mumbling fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 26, 2021

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

PostNouveau posted:

Madcatter must have been especially peeved

I love Madcatter and I think they made their point. Going into the future, with the college angle, I wonder if they'll keep the same kids on the same bot and nurture new ones, or just tout a gigantic Madcatter amoeba of teenage talent.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
It was so unexpectedly enjoyable to see this chonky loving bot slap away the tiny dense death machine over and over again

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I had way less confidence in my picks for this side of the bracket, and my lack of confidence was justified!

Rotator vs. Shatter: Shatter seemed like it had an underpowered weapon, reliability issues, and ablative armour that was going to count against them with the judges. Rotator did the better driving but was actually the less reliable bot.

End Game vs. Perfect Phoenix: Phoenix's driver is a prodigy and their weapon seems very powerful, though it also feels very light? Or maybe just top heavy. I'm not surprised it was a short match, but I expected it to be more weapon-on-weapon until somebody broke.

Copperhead vs. Mammoth: What a nail-biter! Which is not to say it was a very satisfying fight. I don't know how I would've called it. It felt like most of Huge's fights. I feel like when you have a big size mismatch between bots, or a bot that's designed to survive being flipped and flopped around, it's really hard to say who was controlling the fight.

Kraken vs. Saw Blaze: poo poo, I did not expect Kraken to pull off that move. I didn't even know there was a special rule governing it; without it Saw Blaze would've lost right then and there. Saw Blaze did exactly what I expected it to do. I wish their weapon was more reliable.

Blood Sport vs. Gruff: I expected Blood Sport to have weapon issues, but I didn't expect them to make up for it with great driving. Not an easy call, but the winner was clearly more active at the end of the fight and still had a game plan it was executing.

Fusion vs. Tantrum: This is the first time I've seen a fight that was won and lost by the same robot. Tantrum has a good driver, but it's one of those robots that I don't like because its strategy is inherently over complicated. You have to get under your opponent and then hit them with your weapon? I get frustrated by all the fights where the bots seem unable to actually make weapon contact at all.

Skorpios vs. Witch Doctor: It's a classic matchup: the Unreliable Chopper vs. the Spinner That Struggles To Actually Touch Its Opponent! I like both of these bots so I wish neither of them had to lose.

I kinda ate poo poo on this one, but I expected that. My takeaway from this is that I don't like any of the winning bots' chances against Hydra.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Skorpios vs. Witch Doctor: It's a classic matchup: the Unreliable Chopper vs. the Spinner That Struggles To Actually Touch Its Opponent! I like both of these bots so I wish neither of them had to lose.

Skorpios is a lot more reliable this season, this breakdown aside. In Bounty Hunters, they go through a tournament and beat the bounty bot.

Witch Doctor does have a huge issue with reaching its opponents though.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 26, 2021

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I'm a little sad to see copperhead eliminated, they've done really well so far but it seems some part of their weapon system got knocked loose during the fight. I'm looking forward to Robert Cowan's recap on youtube to see what actually happened. Happy to see mammoth moving on, though. Now they get to fight... shatter? That'll be weird, I'm sure.

Shatter was also a pleasant surprise. It looked like they actually shattered that additional plastic top armor on lockjaw which seemed unusual, I'd expect team lockjaw to have picked one of those more "gummy" types of plastic that deforms rather than explodes. Maybe with that amount of kinetic energy going on it doesn't really matter.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Mammoth vs Shatter is probably going to be pretty comical... Probably not the best matchup for Shatter but they probably can maneuver and maybe get a few shots at the tires or get in and break Mammoths flipper thing...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lol: Mammoth is going to beat Shatter and make it to the top 8

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm racking my brain for an alternate configuration they could run that would do anything.

Ummm... Naw I got nothing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Mammoth is going to ineffectually slide Black Dragon half-a-foot 3 times and win the giant nut.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

oh jay posted:

I'm racking my brain for an alternate configuration they could run that would do anything.
I don't particularly like Shatter, and I have nothing against Mammoth, but I'll laugh my rear end off if they do something like like a one-in-a-thousand shot to Mammoth's wheel.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Best case Shatter hits that big undefended box with mammoths batteries on the back.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Mammoth vs Shatter is probably going to be pretty comical... Probably not the best matchup for Shatter but they probably can maneuver and maybe get a few shots at the tires or get in and break Mammoths flipper thing...

A similar matchup from a few years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzaYmcULomc&t=405s

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't particularly like Shatter, and I have nothing against Mammoth, but I'll laugh my rear end off if they do something like like a one-in-a-thousand shot to Mammoth's wheel.

Shatter wins by getting the 1/1000 shot on Mammoth's weapon belt

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Hmm. Very curious to see how this shakes out in a box big enough for Mammoth to turn around in.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
giant nut to the winner of the most improbable and possibly in the most inconceivable matchup of all time, hydra vs mammoth

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

giant nut to the winner of the most improbable and possibly in the most inconceivable matchup of all time, hydra vs mammoth

Hydra builds a Tentamouchi-style dome to cover Mammoth with, wins in a unanimous decision.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gruff is a ridiculous tank that can take so much damage, but that uses up a lot of weight, so its arm weapon just can't do anything. It was a close fight that could've gone either way, but I understand the reasoning.

Tantrum is a really cool little robot, and I love how its spinner could still work after being knocked at an angle. I hope they can repair that quick enough. Tantrum is powerful, but its gimmick is dumb and probably is part of what made it vulnerable to failure.

Shatter loving demolished Lockjaw, but some of that might've been Lockjaw's natural tendency to break and catch fire. It really needs to figure out that issue.

Jackpot did really good for its first season, but it looks like Endgame is going to be the one true Biteforce-alike this time.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Shatter loving demolished Lockjaw, but some of that might've been Lockjaw's natural tendency to break and catch fire. It really needs to figure out that issue.
Minor Bounty Hunters spoilers: It looks like they did during the bounty tournament they entered, which took place after the big season tourney.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sweet geek swag posted:

I'd say Mammoth won that. They definitely should get the control points, they kept Copperhead from flanking them the whole fight.

idk if that's really control. Copperhead was the one mostly attacking them and doing all the damage. Mammoth got in a couple of flips but they were kinda more like sad lifts.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sweet geek swag posted:

Sawblaze is a legit great bot with that scoop on the front.

Its gotta be my favorite. Great combo of a different design + can still do some really entertaining damage. SOB and That Darn Dustpan but turned up to 11. I also like how the thicker vert spinning on the arm gives them the option of just leading with the spinner, which can often help them hit pretty vulnerable spots. You see it a lot on their lower weightclass bots that have the same design.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

William Osman in other years has done some silly things behind the scenes at Battlebots, but now he has to just use his battlebot at home to be silly with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jovBrSSxxxc

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Kloaked00 posted:

Updated Standings
12- Fish of Doom

I predicted Copperhead to win the whole thing so things are going to get worse for me from here on out. Hoping that Whiplash can clean up their side of the bracket still.

Couple other thoughts

Between tonight and the bounty hunters episode, it's looking more like Bloodsport actually kinda sucks and just got super lucky up until this point. There weapon has broken in 3 of their fights now. I'd love to see Tantrum somehow take them out. Gruff once again killed themselves.

Sawblaze vs. Kraken was fight of the night. Kraken just consistently puts on great matches because it's always so exciting for a minute when they actually get a bite.

Zach from Skorpios is one of the top 5 drivers in the whole thing. Imagine if he had a bot with a real weapon.

I wish that they hadn't spoiled one of the top 8 fights in the intro video of the first episode looking back on it. Great job, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

My prediction on this side is now just a trash fire. And I'm already second last. :v: