Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

BiggerBoat posted:

LOL

I'm increasingly sorry I ever posted the god damned thing. Jesus.

I don't think you're really sorry. You haven't even taken it down. You idiot. You goddamned moron.

Edit: Eh, since it can be hard to tell these days, I really am joking! (I'm a robot, though, a hyperdyne model at that, so...)

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
BTW, anyone pick up the recent 'Making of' books by J.W. Rinzler? His book on 'The Empire Strikes Back' was excellent, but I feel like the productions of Alien and Aliens have been pretty well covered already so I'm a little more hesitant with their heavy price tag and all.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BiggerBoat posted:

LOL

I'm increasingly sorry I ever posted the god damned thing. Jesus.

Let's run down the checklist here:

1. Apparently not even a mask
2. Relatively useless against Covid particles
3. Poorly photographed
4. Can't get it damp at all
5. Is cool and looks baller as gently caress

:hmmyes:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

BTW, anyone pick up the recent 'Making of' books by J.W. Rinzler? His book on 'The Empire Strikes Back' was excellent, but I feel like the productions of Alien and Aliens have been pretty well covered already so I'm a little more hesitant with their heavy price tag and all.

I have them both but haven’t had a chance to really read through them yet, but the reception by the Alien community has been very positive.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I don't think you're really sorry. You haven't even taken it down. You idiot. You goddamned moron.

Edit: Eh, since it can be hard to tell these days, I really am joking! (I'm a robot, though, a hyperdyne model at that, so...)

That's nice of you but I get jokes, even when I'm the butt of them and I'm not above self deprecation.

Wait...wait.

Actually, since you're obviously a synthetic sent here by Weyland Yutani specifically to gently caress with me then you can go straight to hell. The July, 2019 register date models were always a bit twitchy and I'm on to your poo poo.

You don't fool me for a minute.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
In (relatively) tangent Aliens news there's a work email chain going around the studio regarding Disney reprinting some of the old Dark Horse Aliens TPB's and rebranding some of the Colonial Marines stories as "Space Marines." Surprise surprise, Disney doesn't seem to want to pay the original artists any royalties. :rolleyes:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is there a source on that? Because that’s pretty bizarre.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's been like, a few months, but I am watching Aliens right now. It's my standard drunk movie. Did anyone ever mention how great Bill Paxton is? Because he's great.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
WHYN'T YA PUT HER IN CHARGE?!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It's been like, a few months, but I am watching Aliens right now. It's my standard drunk movie. Did anyone ever mention how great Bill Paxton is? Because he's great.

You also know it's going to be amazing when the first thing the Marine Sargent does after waking up from hyper-sleep is going for a cigar.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I miss Bill Paxton. :smith:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I miss Bill Paxton. :smith:

:same:

I watched Frailty a while ago & really enjoyed it.

Also he was fun in Twister. :unsmith:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Thinking about Bill Paxton (the actor)

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Thinking about Bill Paxton (the alien)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Android Apocalypse posted:

:same:

I watched Frailty a while ago & really enjoyed it.

Also he was fun in Twister. :unsmith:

Challenge: name a bad Bill Paxton role/performance

You can’t!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If he's such a good actor then why does he keep dying?
Checkmate.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
In my own canon for Bill Paxton, he doesn't die in the movie Aliens but manages to survive somehow and gets a promotion to sergeant and that's how the Edge Of Tomorrow is part of the Aliens universe.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://i.imgur.com/r5INMtp.mp4

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Tom Cruise gets to do a lot of exciting poo poo like riding motorcycles and jumping on couches but I think it's fair to say it was an honor and a privilege for him to be able to act alongside the likes of Bill Paxton.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Greggster posted:

In my own canon for Bill Paxton, he doesn't die in the movie Aliens but manages to survive somehow and gets a promotion to sergeant and that's how the Edge Of Tomorrow is part of the Aliens universe.

And absolute mad lad Tom Cruise recognises that Bill Paxton is a precious treasure that must be saved at all costs.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Thinking about Bill Paxton (the actor)

I’m rewatching Big Love and he’s really good in that show

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm on a Western kick lately and watched Tombstone for the first time last week. Paxton isn't really that large a part of it his death scene is pretty epic though but that movie was great. It's just two hours of cowboys being fucken HARSH to each other.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I hope Aliens and Tombstone being put on Disney+ leads to a whole new generation discovering the joys of Pax (even if the latter in particular is a greater showcase for Val Kilmer and Michael Biehn).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
OK for what it's worth my son turned 10 today and had an Alien themed nerf gun birthday party complete with face hugger targets and masks with a few xenomorph foamcore stand ups and it seemed to go pretty well. He had this bizarre birthday cake that had an alien popping up from the center and was covered in blood.

What I'm saying is I am trying my best to raise this boy right.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I was watching a YouTube clip & there was an ad for some VPN, and from that I learned that apparently non-North America Disney+ has the Fox movies like Aliens.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

OK for what it's worth my son turned 10 today and had an Alien themed nerf gun birthday party complete with face hugger targets and masks with a few xenomorph foamcore stand ups and it seemed to go pretty well. He had this bizarre birthday cake that had an alien popping up from the center and was covered in blood.

What I'm saying is I am trying my best to raise this boy right.

The boy is right, I tell you h-what

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Android Apocalypse posted:

I was watching a YouTube clip & there was an ad for some VPN, and from that I learned that apparently Canadian Disney+ has the Fox movies like Aliens.

ftfy

e: looks like it's the original theatrical release. The original Predator is available as well.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 1, 2021

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
its bizarre, theyve got all the alien movies and theyre all janky and the sound mix sucks and it loving rules

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

NZ Disney+ has all the Alien movies and Predator too.

Is it not available in Yank-land?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Xenomrph posted:

For all you Fortnite players out there, Ripley and the Alien are coming to Fortnite soon.

No, I’m not kidding.

They mostly come in March.

Mostly.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

its bizarre, theyve got all the alien movies and theyre all janky and the sound mix sucks and it loving rules

Aliens sounds fine on my Sennheisers. Maybe it's the 5.1 soundtrack.

e: 5.1 sounds fine too, at least on Aliens. The dropship sequence is always a great test for my bass.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 1, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I have taken an extra painkiller for my back and am in bed watching Aliens :pcgaming:

e: did y'all know this film is extremely dope.

Biplane fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 1, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Walmart has new Aliens toys aimed at kids, this time they’re 7” tall and there’s a jumbo Queen who shrieks and hisses and lights up, it’s pretty sweet.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It'd be cooler if it was 7'

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Walmart has new Aliens toys aimed at kids, this time they’re 7” tall and there’s a jumbo Queen who shrieks and hisses and lights up, it’s pretty sweet.

Details?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I have never seen Aliens (the movie)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I have never seen Aliens (the movie)

Ugh. I've never hit anyone in anger before. But......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Did anyone ever answer that question about why Ripley was promising to be home by her daughter's 11th birthday despite having to spend apparent years in a cryo tube?

The answer is a really clever bit of storytelling about how FTL works in the aliens universe. Someone was thinking about time dilation, which is when you travel close to c and time tends to slow down for you from the perspective of someone going slow. Or rather, if you're near light speed and you look outside everything will look like it's going really fast.
So some smarty pants writer thought that well, if time dilates for you if you're really close but less than c, then why not that time contracts for you if you're really close but faster than c. Write up some techno-babble about tachyon shunts popping a ship over to the opposite side of the light speed barrier and voila. You have to chill in a cryo tube for even a relatively short trip because even though it's only a month or three to arrive at your destination from the perspective of the planet-dwellers, for those on the ship it's a trip of years. I think the Nostromo travels at something like .2 light-years a day or something like that and it was a slow pig of a ship while towing.

I forget if the further you get from light speed on the FTL side of things the time contraction gets less or more severe, but that's fussy details. The key point that makes the really awesome plot device of having to sleep away an interstellar journey is that <1c time dilates, >1c time contracts.