Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

According to things Adam has said in his various Q&A sessions, they weren't really friends. They were cordial but weren't looking to spend time with each other when they didn't have to.

Yeah, my bad, "they never were friends" was what I meant. They most of the time did not like each other that much but being professionals in their job kept it cordial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I just didn't like that the show became mostly about guns, cars, movies and tv show stuff.

e: oh and the eleventy billion chicken cannon episodes

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 26, 2021

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Shifty Nipples posted:

I just didn't like that the show became mostly about guns, cars, movies and tv show stuff.

Yeah that would never engage US viewers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

packetmantis posted:

This one was really funny because of how pissed off they all were about it

Another good one for this is the moon hoax episode, you can sense the contempt for the people who actually believe this stuff seeping through the screen

Shifty Nipples posted:

Eventually they finished all the real pseudoscience and old wives tales but the show must go on

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/615921120985481246/814790262558818314/vibration.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They made 266 episodes, each one usually with at least a couple of different myths to test. After a while you just run out of dumb urban legends. They probably could have stopped a few seasons earlier but they did stop when the show had run its course.

(the Mythbusters defender has logged on, I know)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

There's only one bad episode of MythBusters, and Adam also says that he wishes they hadn't done that one magic pyramid power keeping razor blades sharp

The pyramid guys are upset about that episode as well
https://www.precisionpyramids.com/mythbusters-pyramid-experiments

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Rad-daddio posted:

Also, why does the guy filling the donuts have a popped collar? Does he need to seduce the donuts before he fills them? I mean, they're not sorority girls.

mods pls change my name to The Donut Seducer

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The show was as good as canceled once they got on the bad side of Big Pyramid.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, my bad, "they never were friends" was what I meant. They most of the time did not like each other that much but being professionals in their job kept it cordial.

Adam has said that he wouldn't work with Jamie outside of Mythbusters. Their workstyles are too unalike and they butted heads constantly. I can only imagine why :confused:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Adam has said that he wouldn't work with Jamie outside of Mythbusters. Their workstyles are too unalike and they butted heads constantly. I can only imagine why :confused:

One of them knows you shouldn't try to clean a spinning lathe, and the other knows you should always bring an extra bolt or two in case you drop one.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Because while originally in the same business, they are the exact opposites of how to approach a problem and create something? Its worth to notice that Hyneman originally told that his method is too boring for a TV show, so the producers found another guy in the same business to be the "interesting guy". And they knew each other beforehand and both agreed that this is the way. Rest is "doing a professional gig that pays well".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

Because while originally in the same business, they are the exact opposites of how to approach a problem and create something? Its worth to notice that Hyneman originally told that his method is too boring for a TV show, so the producers found another guy in the same business to be the "interesting guy". And they knew each other beforehand and both agreed that this is the way. Rest is "doing a professional gig that pays well".

I don't know if that's how the show started or not, but Adam worked for Jamie for a while making commercials and whatnot.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if that's how the show started or not, but Adam worked for Jamie for a while making commercials and whatnot.

So they did not need to look that far.

Hyneman is the guy who designs, and designs, and designs a prototype with the least amount of moving parts that most likely produces the results, then makes a prototype and adjusts it, an approach with the brutal Occam's razor.

Adam is the guy who makes a prototype based on the first intuition, and adds stuff and then stuff, and then stuff until something works well enough to not break down.

And that is also why Hyneman was usually the one to win competitive myths, but his approach is, for a TV show, boring as gently caress.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Grant, Tori, and Kari were the best parts of the show. The Adam and Jaime projects were always dragged out to the final ad break and usually overwrought.

They were pretty good on Mythbusters. But man, when they tried doing their own show on Netflix it was atrocious.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/h6phFT1.mp4

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

if that ain't america dot mp4 right there

a bald eagle tries to get shooed off but takes what he wants and stands proudly with his spoils while everyone looks on and goes like "what's with this guy" but they just sort of roll with it because what else can you do?

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 26, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

low key sex master posted:

if that ain't america dot mp4 right there

a bald eagle tries to get shooed off but takes what he wants and stands proudly with his spoils while everyone looks on

I remember seeing a picture years ago of like a dozen or so bald eagles that had gorged themselves in a dumpster full of fish guts and couldn't get out because, well, their flight feathers were soaked in fish guts

and I remember thinking, "Apropos"

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Phy posted:

I remember seeing a picture years ago of like a dozen or so bald eagles that had gorged themselves in a dumpster full of fish guts and couldn't get out because, well, their flight feathers were soaked in fish guts

Franklin wanted a turkey as the national bird and I'm not so sure he wasn't right about that being our national symbol

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Grant, Tori, and Kari were the best parts of the show.

Not even remotely. This is why they eventually got rid of them and spun them off into their own trainwreck of a show, because no one wanted to see their segments on Mythbusters.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm not very patriotic but man, bald eagles are some awesome looking birds. America really picked a winner there.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

They're too cool for us Americans. Benjamin Franklin was right to suggest the national bird be a loving turkey

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

majestic

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Not even remotely. This is why they eventually got rid of them and spun them off into their own trainwreck of a show, because no one wanted to see their segments on Mythbusters.

It has been a long time since I saw the show, so I may not remember it correctly, but I thought the early episodes with those were better than the later because they weren't made to ham things up. For example I recall a later episode where they dressed up as goats or something equally dumb.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

It has been a long time since I saw the show, so I may not remember it correctly, but I thought the early episodes with those were better than the later because they weren't made to ham things up. For example I recall a later episode where they dressed up as goats or something equally dumb.

Agreed. I think Mythbusters had the old problem of the actors becoming caricatures of themselves after the show got popular.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I'm not very patriotic but man, bald eagles are some awesome looking birds. America really picked a winner there.

It truly is a gorgeous bird, and its habit of eating itself immobile if enabled to do so is spot on.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I love birds but I think bald eagles are big angry looking nerds. One stops by for a part of the year and nests outside our control tower, and that is neat and all, but I'll always take the regular old eagles that live on the flight line any day. I always feel pleased as punch to see one sitting on my TACAN or glideslope, or leaving bits of dead animals hanging off of the bird spikes on the MALSR. Love those big ol fuckers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Alaskan Harbor Where Bald Eagles Scavenge Like Pigeons

quote:

Think of a bald eagle and you probably imagine a beautiful raptor, wings spread wide, soaring high above a boreal forest. Perhaps they bring to mind strength, even patriotism. The people of Dutch Harbor, Alaska, don't want to hear it. They consider them nothing but pests.
America indeed. :911::911:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

That's a rad pic hot drat

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

my understanding of the kari/tori/grant situation was that they were getting goo expensive and to string out the last lame season(s) they got rid of them to focus the budget on jaime and adam

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Franklin wanted a turkey as the national bird and I'm not so sure he wasn't right about that being our national symbol

Used to have a turkey that hung around my house

He was a total dick

https://v.redd.it/091lld4m3qj61

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A couple months back I was driving and saw a bald eagle pulling the intestines out of some roadkill. Seemed pretty on-brand for our national symbol.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Oh no.. Franklin unwillingly made the best possible case for the Bald Eagle when complaining about it being chosen.

The story that Franklin proposed the turkey as the national symbol began to circulate in American newspapers around the time of the country’s centennial and are based on a January 26, 1784, letter in which he panned the eagle and extolled the virtues of the gobbler to his daughter, Sarah. In doing so, though, he was not delivering a critique of the Great Seal but a new medal issued by the Society of the Cincinnati, an association of Continental Army veterans. “For my own part I wish the bald eagle had not been chosen as the representative of our country,” he wrote. The Founding Father argued that the eagle was “a bird of bad moral character” that “does not get his living honestly” because it steals food from the fishing hawk and is “too lazy to fish for himself.”

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Phy posted:

Don't know if it's true but as a kid I was told vultures could gorge themselves too full to take off. Then, if they were threatened, they could puke up the most corrosive and vile substance ever biologically created if they had to lose weight to get airborne.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

MisterOblivious posted:

Used to have a turkey that hung around my house
He was a total dick

I used to work at a feed store that sold animals and no animal ever tried to gently caress with me except for male turkeys. They wanted to eat my eyes more than anything I've ever wanted in my entire life.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MisterOblivious posted:

Don't know if it's true but as a kid I was told vultures could gorge themselves too full to take off. Then, if they were threatened, they could puke up the most corrosive and vile substance ever biologically created if they had to lose weight to get airborne.

Vultures have stomach acid with a ph of 1, and I guess it allows them to eat rancid meat because it kills off all the bad bacteria.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jamie Hyneman gives off very strong Libertarian vibes so I never liked him.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qp2wpuKzj61s1ddrj.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qoufcn6m5v1w5pr9j.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qp4ixrSlz61r0uzl6.mp4

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

LanceHunter posted:

They were pretty good on Mythbusters. But man, when they tried doing their own show on Netflix it was atrocious.

I never bothered to watch it. They were all good at their jobs but I think Grant (RIP) and Tori were there mainly because Adam worked with them at ILM and Kari was there because she a good combo of photogenic and ambitious. She started on the show as an intern but pretty quickly proved that she was an able problem solver and a hard worker, so she moved up.

Adam's a ham but he seems genuinely to enjoy making things. I liked his "Savage Builds" show he did recently, but I don't think it did the numbers they wanted so that plus Covid means it probably won't come back for season 2.

From everything I've heard (mostly from Adam) Jamie's a curmudgeonly pain in the rear end who happens to be a really talented engineer who was very good at getting stuff to work for the purposes of TV and film. Adam was talking recently about how he briefly thought of calling Jamie up to get some help on something but decided against it because it would have required them to pretend to be interested in catching up and he knew that neither of them wanted to do that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This was a Brazilian iron ore carrier, there was 275,000 tons on board when it ran aground. The crew got off, and they took off the fuel oil and a bit more than half of the ore before it was refloated. Once they managed to do a proper survey of the structure it was determined that it was basically unfixable, and the owners decided to scuttle it.

So all that red dust is iron ore dust blasting out of the holds as they fill with water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
He denies it but Jamie was totally a spy. He has a degree in Russian. He worked as a wilderness survival expert. He owned a boat charter business in the Caribbean where he was a dive master. And he knows a lot about guns, explosives, and building gadgets.