Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

bedpan posted:

ive not thought about this phenomena quite like this before but you are right. capitalist ideology sees the economy and politics as perfect, clockwork systems operated by relentlessly rational managers.

i recently watched the new adam curtis and it was fine but i really gotta go back and rewatch hypernormalization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/UsaAficionado/status/1365108439794536449

"don't demonize the person who unilaterally blocked a sorely-needed minimum wage hike, but do demonize a journalist who showed a tweet to a senator"

She really is just a random person who is doing her job,blaming her for the dems lack of effort is just letting them off the hook.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

docbeard posted:

Man, I don't really know who you are or why people make the sign of the cross and hiss when you come near, but I feel like a more specific answer than "Alas, but man is mortal" to the question of just what was bad about Morales was expected.

He's a troll who knows how to toe the line well enough that the mods aren't going to do anything to him

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

even when AOC intends to do good she’s a loving dupe

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

She really is just a random person who is doing her job,blaming her for the dems lack of effort is just letting them off the hook.

correct, all the dems have to do is ok “that’s nice, we don’t care” and the process continues

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

owned

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

It's Lucy's pulling the football away all the way down.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Lol just a random person who happens to control congress

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Owned again lmao

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

who could have predicted this????????????????

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Q: Is AOC an absolute moron rube or a sheep dog who drives leftist energy into a ditch?

A: lol what's the difference

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

also?? would

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Her job is to gently caress over anyone with less power than her?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This is where you go to Biden and say that you and the other progressive reps are voting no and you'll sink the entire bill

Just hammer his old man balls to the desk

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Still no democrat defections, interesting

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Grapplejack posted:

This is where you go to Biden and say that you and the other progressive reps are voting no and you'll sink the entire bill

Agreed. They should be refusing to vote for it without the minimum wage.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Did they pull Neera's nomination yet or is Friday news dump later?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Agreed. They should be refusing to vote for it without the minimum wage.

yeah, you might even say they should force it

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Bolivia seems like a beautiful country full of interesting people. I would love to visit.

It's a wonderful place full of wonderful people who have been hosed over for 500 years.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Lol just a random person who happens to control congress

No, she has no power. The dems are making her out as this powerful being to be able to convince gullible idiots that she's the reason they can't do "good thing" instead of the true reason of "they don't want to". If you're mad at her for reading a book instead of at the dems then congrats you fell for it.

John_A_Tallon posted:

Her job is to gently caress over anyone with less power than her?

She works for congress, yes.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

docbeard posted:

Man, I don't really know who you are or why people make the sign of the cross and hiss when you come near, but I feel like a more specific answer than "Alas, but man is mortal" to the question of just what was bad about Morales was expected.

He's a "bernie supporter" who hates bernie and bernies supporters, actively worked against him in the primary and scolded people who didn't want to vote for a rapist while also attacking Tara Reade and people who believe her.

All with the blessing and support of dnds biden staffer mods

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

tra la la la la, im just a random person doing my job

tra la la la la

dont mind the corpses behind me

lally ho!

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
https://twitter.com/kdrum/status/1365407660284080128

sike

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

hahaha. she is going to vote for it in the house rather than getting a few colleagues to help vote down the bill and get concessions.

thanks progressive caucus

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Speaking of gullible idiots

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Grapplejack posted:

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

remember when aoc said they were absolutely, definitely, pinkie swear, getting behind-the-scenes concessions around the time of ftv? wonder if 15/hr in the reconciliation bill was one of them lol

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

wow, and all it would have taken to have made the right prediction was not having any faith in any institution, especially one supported by the Democratic Party

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

seriously, there is no point to a progressive opposition if all it equates to is finger-wagging on loving twitter

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/kdrum/status/1365338184456892420?s=20

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

No, she has no power. The dems are making her out as this powerful being to be able to convince gullible idiots that she's the reason they can't do "good thing" instead of the true reason of "they don't want to". If you're mad at her for reading a book instead of at the dems then congrats you fell for it.

Let us blame everyone involved.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This is gonna turn out to be just like that time Trump drew on a NOAA map, isn't it?

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

lmao

E - this guy's name is familiar, he's had some tremendously bad takes on many things before right?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Her role (at this point) is to give the democrats cover for not doing a thing they didn't actually want to do.

Whether she was consciously complicit in this is an interesting question but I dunno how relevant.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

this is incredible, the expanded unemployment and 600 a week checks were a backdoor UBI for a ton of people and that massively increased spending and prevented a complete economic collapse

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

docbeard posted:

This is gonna turn out to be just like that time Trump drew on a NOAA map, isn't it?

Kevin Drum posted:

About
I started blogging in 2002 at my own site. In 2004 I got hired by the Washington Monthly and then moved to Mother Jones in 2008, where I blogged and wrote for the print magazine for 12 years. Finally, in 2021, I came full circle, leaving MoJo to once again blog at my own site.

Dude's looking for eyeballs.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the only possible point of depersonalizing this is to aid in the Dem narrative that we are essentially being held back by The Rules, like the bureaucratic machine is simply unreliable and busted, rather than that it's a singular person who can be replaced or pressured like anyone else, that's why the twitter account I posted was urging everyone to stop treating this person like a person

If you think your job is to block a sorely-needed minimum-wage hike because oh my this doesn't belong in a reconciliation bill!!! then you shouldn't be the one in charge of deciding what goes into a reconciliation bill, and one of the things we need to get mad at Dems for is letting this person serve as a scapegoat for them, which she can do more effectively as a force of nature than as a person

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Fitzy Fitz posted:

also?? would

So glad im not alone here

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

tmfc posted:

lmao

E - this guy's name is familiar, he's had some tremendously bad takes on many things before right?

He called Reade one of the craziest loonies of 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Kevin Dumb