Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Does anyone else remember Mantech? I was the only kid I knew who had the three Mantech good guy figures. They were about 7" or 8" figures -- all futuristic armored warriors with removable helmets over soft rubbery heads. But the gimmick was that the figures all had modular bodies that could be completely taken apart, then mixed and matched with other figures, kind of like Hasbro's Marvel, Transformers, and Star Wars "Hero Mashers" figures that were out around a decade ago. They also had weapon ports all over their armor and helmets, much like the recent Siege and Earthrise Transformers, so they could have weapons sticking out from any body part.

I THINK they came with mini-comics like so many other mid-'80s action figures, but they never had a cartoon or a "real" comic book.

These are they:
https://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/1984/mantech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fuzz posted:

Give me 1/12 Gargoyles figures, you cowards!

Like most things it would be better in 3.75 inch scale

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Give us $900 1/6 scale Exosquad figures

Nah should stay the original size

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I used to use those exo toys as Power Loaders for my alien figures because the Kenner ones were so well gone when I needed them

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Dale-Taco posted:

Also this talk of MASK, when the world is in real need of the Centurions.

there was word of a third party attempt at Centurions a month or two back, 1/10 scale, proper announcement and news later this year

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Just had a flashback. It was the day after my birthday party and I got this fucker as a present. Couldn't figure out how to fire the missiles, then nearly blinded myself fiddling with the wings.

deoju fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 26, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Does anyone else remember Mantech?

These are they:
https://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/1984/mantech

Yeah, I’ve definitely seen those at toy shows. More than anything they make me think of Xevoz, which were amazing. Curiosity and a quick look on eBay show me that Xevoz run super pricey now for some reason. :stare:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You maniacs brought back Micro Machines, now bring back Z-Bots! :argh:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You maniacs brought back Micro Machines, now bring back Z-Bots! :argh:

This is The Way.

I remember our local 7-11s would carry a very small selection of Z-Bots for cheap. My mom used to drive out to 7-11 to get a fountain soda once or twice a week at night, and I'd ride along with her hoping they had a new Z-Bots 3pack I'd never seen before. I found my favorite one on one of those trips. :shobon:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
As a kid I was obsessed with Starcom, tiny spacemen with visors that flipped up and magnets on their feet. We were pretty poor so I only had the BATTLE CRANE. This had all the thrilling action of space and moving cargo from one location to another. A relaunch of that would be great, though the "The U.S. Space Force" tagline has been soured.

(not my photo, wish I still had it)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would love the gently caress out of an Exo-Squad reboot.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Wow, Z-Bots were a line I'd totally forgotten about. I absolutely love the dude with the oversized boxing gloves with spikes and the robot that sort of looked liked Johnny 5.

I only ever had one exo-squad mech (the purple one with the alien), but I was always disappointed it was too small to fit G.I. Joes. Cool toy line though.

So many fun old toy lines lost with time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nerd Of Prey posted:

some of the Hexa Gear line has a bit of an Exosquad vibe

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone have any experience with Toys Alliance / Annex 2179? I thought some of the figs looked pretty cool, but $45 for a 1/18 scale fig seems a bit insane.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/153800

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/153804

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
They seem similar to the acid rain world line. I bought a couple of those and they're pretty cool, but changing gear was a big pain in the rear end. Good poseability though.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I'm tempted to pull the trigger (who doesn't like an exposed brain), guess I'll give it some time look up some reviews.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I feel like all of these toy brands y’all are bringing up (Gargoyles were cool) have been supplanted by video games like Fortnite and Overwatch, etc.

There’s just something lost in the tactile sensation of playing with toys, though. I am not a child-haver, but I wonder how kids today respond to toys when presented with ‘em. Are games so immersive now that they can make up for the lack of physical sensation you get from a toy? They probably get bored quick and wanna go back to Minecraft or whatever.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Had to get this head sculpt as a partner to my robot cowboy I bought a few years ago. Only downside is, my robot cowboy doesn't have light up LED eyes like this guy :black101:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nanigans posted:

I feel like all of these toy brands y’all are bringing up (Gargoyles were cool) have been supplanted by video games like Fortnite and Overwatch, etc.

There’s just something lost in the tactile sensation of playing with toys, though. I am not a child-haver, but I wonder how kids today respond to toys when presented with ‘em. Are games so immersive now that they can make up for the lack of physical sensation you get from a toy? They probably get bored quick and wanna go back to Minecraft or whatever.

While this is only my personal experience, I have found this to be true. I'd get my nephew action figures or LEGO or whatnot, and while he'd open them and play with them for an afternoon, it was always back to the the Playstation or Pad to play video games.

I grew up in the 80s, so the only game system was the Atari, so those games couldn't compete with He-Man or G.I. Joe.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

^^^ Reminds me of a 40K Imperial Assassin.

Nanigans posted:

I think this is exactly why the Overwatch figure line failed. People in their 30s (me) played the game in passing, but had too many other options / weren't that invested in the property, and kids (like my 8-11 year old nieces and nephews) would rather just play Overwatch.

Action Figures guys are like car guys, IMO. When I was a kid my dad would drag me to car shows and there would be all these old dudes talking about their V8s and mag wheels, and poo poo they loved when they were growing up. Now it's all shifted to nerd stuff like action figures and superheroes.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

drrockso20 posted:

Like most things it would be better in 3.75 inch scale

How so? The articulation, especially on their wings and tails, would be terrible. Nothing in that show was really so large that 1/12 would be untenable. Even Coyote in mech form would only be like a 12" figure. Goliath would be 7.5", Lexington would be 4".

All very doable.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

Nah should stay the original size

To be clear, I was joking about wanting $900 1/6 scale Exosquad toys, but I’m definitely serious when I say Exosquad was rad. Great toys, surprisingly deep/mature cartoon show, all around good time. I have some of these guys and I always thought it would be a fun repaint project.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Grabbed some more crap today

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I might collect that new tiny Halo line. All the prices are really good for the vehicles and figures. They look nice too.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I ordered the Biollante. I can't visualize exactly how big it is so it'll be fun to figure out where I'm actually going to put it once its here.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Shiroc posted:

I ordered the Biollante. I can't visualize exactly how big it is so it'll be fun to figure out where I'm actually going to put it once its here.

Please take and post photos so I can be jealous.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rhyno posted:

Grabbed some more crap today

You telling me the guy who stole 40 cakes is a "criminal mastermind"?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Along with my future Biollante, I have a bunch of the Monsterarts Godzillas and a couple of the NECA ones. They're all 'unique' versions of Godzilla but other than the Burning ones or the transluscent blue KotM Godzilla, they're mostly just big grey things. I used to have about half in my office at work but it gets to be a bit drab when all of them are in the main room of my apartment. I'm going to need to find some display solutions when I hopefully move in a few months.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They ever make a good Space Godzilla figure? I’m the one guy who loves that movie.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Open Marriage Night posted:

They ever make a good Space Godzilla figure? I’m the one guy who loves that movie.

I'm pretty sure there is a Movie Monster Series soft vinyl (these are usually pretty sweet for ~$20-30) and a Monsterarts version of Space Godzilla.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SHMA Biollante is about 2 feet wide. It’s amazing! I wish I bought it when I had the chance but I got Destroyah instead.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Vintersorg posted:

SHMA Biollante is about 2 feet wide.

lol gently caress

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ack, I lied - 12 inches. :3 7 inches high.

http://shma-articulationseries.com/biollante.html

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

They haven't accounted anything about doing another Monsterarts King Ghidorah, have they?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
They did one for KotM that I nearly bought but didn't once I saw it in person and was underwhelmed. I'd assume they would rerelease the classic ones at some point.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I never got really into Godzilla or the various associated monsters, but I have sort of a fondness for Gigan due to childhood memories of a little wind-up Gigan I had. I wouldn’t mind getting a nice Gigan figure someday, but I’m not sure I care enough to pay out the rear end for an exotic import. I wish he was better represented in cheap mass market figures.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Random thought, Stinkor action figured had the gimmick of being a figure with a special scent. I've had what I thought was that scent burned into my brain for decades, but now I'm not sure. Is it kind of like patchouli or am I getting neurons crossed?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Random thought, Stinkor action figured had the gimmick of being a figure with a special scent. I've had what I thought was that scent burned into my brain for decades, but now I'm not sure. Is it kind of like patchouli or am I getting neurons crossed?

That was always the story, that it was patchouli oil (though my Stinkor must have been defective, because it barely smelled)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Davros1 posted:

That was always the story, that it was patchouli oil (though my Stinkor must have been defective, because it barely smelled)

And Moss Man smelled like Pine

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

And Moss Man smelled like Pine

And was covered with green scratchy velcro. He was the best toy for collecting various carpet fuzzies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Agrias120 posted:

I joined this Discord just now, saw the "Challenge" channel and wondered what it could be, then saw the last group of posts was someone challenging people to post pictures of their figures leapfrogging other figures. A++ great Discord server imo.

That was my Frog-Man pic that inspired it! Welcome to the good place.